Generation Kill Forums

HBO (Mini-Series 2008)

Official Discussion Thread - Episode One : "Get Some"

domino87

[1]Jul 13, 2008
    • level: 10
    Discuss the first part of the mini-series here.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

danharr

[2]Jul 13, 2008
    • level: 45
    So far so good expected nothing less from hbo I like the realistic depiction of the conflict. Pretty much I think this will be what Jarhead wasn't more real and not just a bunch of sensationalism.

arsilverangel

[4]Jul 14, 2008
    • level: 14
    Ok.... um... I'm actually quite terrified for what goes on over there now. How much these men are just willing to kill anything.. (that remark about Hiroshima really threw me) and the sever lack of respect for pretty much anyone or anything in Iraq.... As a show, it was entertaining and some parts freakin hilarious (the gas mask incident).... but I can't get over the amount of racial slurring and bashing of cultures/lifestyles that they say in general discussion.. even if it is all in jest.

justinwestnet

[5]Jul 14, 2008
    • level: 17
    i've read the book but didn't get home in time to watch last night, but the book is all about how this generation deals with war. these are kids who grew up with nintendos, cell phones, high tech computers and all that fun stuff, nothing seen before in war. this is the story of how they adjusted to war and marines are typically like that. all alpha male dominant types. i cannot wait to watch when i get home from work today.

CW99

[6]Jul 14, 2008
    • level: 2

I thought the episode was great and to the comment about racial slurring and the hiroshima comment yeah it is pretty shocking but when you get different races and age groups together your bound to have those types of things happen.

as a side note it was the same guy doing all the racial slurs and hiroshima comments he is the resident racist. That being said you made it seem that all the marines where doing that but it was only one man.

Daxxanna

[7]Jul 14, 2008
    • level: 13
    CW99 wrote:

I thought the episode was great and to the comment about racial slurring and the hiroshima comment yeah it is pretty shocking but when you get different races and age groups together your bound to have those types of things happen.

as a side note it was the same guy doing all the racial slurs and hiroshima comments he is the resident racist. That being said you made it seem that all the marines where doing that but it was only one man.

An excellent point CW99, a point I was going to make. I also think that it is another way to release stress and tension and its not all serious - apart from his comments. I found the episode compelling yet difficult in parts, such as turning away those looking for help.
    Edited on 07/14/2008 2:27pm

ElmoKajaky

[8]Jul 14, 2008
    • level: 8
    What was up with the beanies? Why did that guy have to switch to a beanie cap?

Daxxanna

[9]Jul 15, 2008
    • level: 13
    ElmoKajaky wrote:
    What was up with the beanies? Why did that guy have to switch to a beanie cap?

I believe it was an intimidation tactic or a form of unit identification

Atheist420

[10]Jul 16, 2008
    Yeah the first episode was good, and no action even happened yet, so it should be pretty sweet. As far as the beanie he told that guy to put it on because all the recon marines were wearing them.

domino87

[11]Jul 16, 2008
    Loved it, Very real feeling, great dialouge, background dialogue, kinda hard to distinguish exactly who's who. All like The Wire. Nothing too much happened over the first episode but I was still thorougly entertained the whole way through it. And if the run of episodes is structured like The Wire, the best episodes will def be the last few. Add in all the positive reviews from critics who have seen most of the eps I am very excited for the fate of this series.

cgijoe1

[12]Jul 17, 2008
    • level: 5

This series is very well shot. The characters in the program come across as full of themselves, many of them out to prove themselves in a war zone, a lot of hostility between the marines, a bit of a testosterone rush in some places. 10 out of 10 for scripting.

My guess is that the story will either stick with the opening stages of the war or it will bring it up to present day. The start of the war portraying these young men eager and ready for action, the end war wary veterans having been through tough times, losing comrades etc. I'll keep with it.

ElmoKajaky

[13]Jul 17, 2008
    • level: 8
    I'm a big fan of "realistic" mini-series. This seems like it might be as good as John Adams in this respect.

SVU_number_1fan

[14]Jul 19, 2008
    • level: 17
    justinwestnet wrote:
    i've read the book but didn't get home in time to watch last night, but the book is all about how this generation deals with war. these are kids who grew up with nintendos, cell phones, high tech computers and all that fun stuff, nothing seen before in war. this is the story of how they adjusted to war and marines are typically like that. all alpha male dominant types. i cannot wait to watch when i get home from work today.
    ow ow the book sounds good yes the show is pretty good at first i was very skepctal but wow very veyr good i love it

_Sinbad_

[15]Jul 21, 2008
    • level: 4

ElmoKajaky wrote:
    I'm a big fan of "realistic" mini-series. This seems like it might be as good as John Adams in this respect.

Me too man!!

Ludvico01

[16]Jul 23, 2008
    I'm curious, how many of you have been in the military or served in combat?

GamblinMonkey

[17]Jul 28, 2008
    • level: 3

Ludvico01 wrote:
    I'm curious, how many of you have been in the military or served in combat?

I was in the military. Actually, I was wondering the same about the people who aparently either don't understand the show or don't like it. As a veteran myself, I loved it. The dynamics dealing with the different personality types and chain of command are spot on. The confusion and disorganization of something that's supposed to be such a well-thought out and planned mission are also so very true.

I guess it may be strange to outsiders that the majority of time in the military tends to be spent not doing anything exciting or heroic (or horrifying, based on your viewpoint, I suppose). People get some strange ideas from reading the news and watching movies about what happens in the military and they're shocked by the amount of time that's just spent standing around and making fun of each other. Oh, and getting yelled at for haircuts and facial hair that are out of regs.

Ludvico01

[18]Jul 29, 2008
    I was also in the military and served in combat, which places a slightly different perspective on this and other war-related films. One thing which usually puts people off is the "gallows humor" of most military people.