We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Generation Kill Forums

HBO (Mini-Series 2008)

Official Episode Discussion:"A Burning Dog"

What did you think?

danharr

[1]Aug 10, 2008
    • level: 46
    Tonights episode please discuss here
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

danharr

[2]Aug 10, 2008
    • level: 46
    My first great vote this episode kept me riveted good showing. I loved the introduction of foreign fighters and the troops banter as usual. Watching Encino man rise above abject stupidity was awesome but too bad Captain American wasn't given what for by the officer that took control.

justinwestnet

[3]Aug 11, 2008
    • level: 17
    probably the best episode yet. even though i know what happens to all the characters I was still on the edge of my seat. I loved the view through Ice Man's scope and you see the guy (creepy with the night vision), then the second he lifts up his rocket bam! Popped. I also loved the look on the reporters face when they were in the battle.

ElmoKajaky

[4]Aug 11, 2008
    • level: 8
    Can someone explain what they mean by "petting a burning dog" in the context of the events of this episode?

harihudson

[5]Aug 11, 2008
    • level: 15

ElmoKajaky wrote:
    Can someone explain what they mean by "petting a burning dog" in the context of the events of this episode?

The full saying is "Never pet a burning dog" and I think there were many things that happened in this episode and as a total of the previous episodes that illustrated the meaning of the saying.

1. Simple meaning: You'd never pet a dog that is on fire - so obvious a no-no; right? Well, when the team received orders to go over the bridge at night w/out any recon work, the team is like "ummm, we are a recon unit, it's obvious this is a bad idea w/out doing some scouting first".
    2. You put out your hand to help (U.S. invades for "Operation Iraq Freedom") something in danger (the people under Hussein's dictatorship) and you will get burned (ambushes by Iraqis AND jihadists coming into the country just to fight U.S./others).
    Those were the 2 illustrations I got.

I was thinking this episodes title was going to be a literal as last week's (Combat Jack) - I'm glad it wasn't. Another tense episode, scary/intense fight, good Iceman moments. Captain America acting up again! Iceman's squad gunner at the roadblock - that was pretty awful.

Best moments:

1. Lt. Fick squashing the gunnery sgt. - Casey Kasem - when he was talking to Encino man.
    2. Cpl. Person (Iceman's driver) calmly getting out of jeep during shooting and asking other drivers to back up!
    Edited on 08/11/2008 12:01pm
    Edited 2 total times.

SVU_number_1fan

[6]Aug 13, 2008
    danharr wrote:
    My first great vote this episode kept me riveted good showing. I loved the introduction of foreign fighters and the troops banter as usual. Watching Encino man rise above abject stupidity was awesome but too bad Captain American wasn't given what for by the officer that took control.
    yea i agree very good eppy i thought that was funny that ray trated the pix for like food or watever very great epsiode and i love when he sings i think my heart sank whne i think hitman2 got shot i was like omg omg and then when that village got blown up that was sad but overall very very good loved it

SVU_number_1fan

[7]Aug 17, 2008
    ahaha i jsu rembed when ray said that his mom put him up on the walmart wall and then hitman 2 said that his parents did to and they did not have his right but then ray was all like he was adpoted thatw as too funny and yea i went to wallmart and looked at that wall and thought of that show lol

vishus1990

[8]Sep 9, 2008
    • level: 15
    good ep, not great, imo the previous one was the best, not by much though. plenty of action which is what i want to see from a show like this.