Generation Kill Forums

HBO (Mini-Series 2008)

Watched the first episode, and wasn't impressed...

antdude

[1]Jul 26, 2008
    • level: 27
    ... I loved Band of Brothers miniseries. I watched this first episode of GK earlier. It was OK. Not much actions and lots of dialogs. Does the future episodes get any better? I see the second one was rated worse than the first one.

Thanks in advance.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CW99

[2]Jul 27, 2008
    • level: 2
    the thing about this mini-series and the Band of brother mini-series was Generation Kill is a hundred percent real this is what happens in war where you get band of brothers and it maybe 40-50 percent real because they are alloted to take certain liberties like use mo0re action and make up their own situations.

On the ratings thing I have no idea why this show is getting a 7.0 i think it is people just dumping ratings for the entire series based on one show. So pay no attention to the ratings its a bunch of hills viewers who have their panys flossing their asses

antdude

[3]Jul 27, 2008
    • level: 27
    CW99 wrote:
    the thing about this mini-series and the Band of brother mini-series was Generation Kill is a hundred percent real this is what happens in war where you get band of brothers and it maybe 40-50 percent real because they are alloted to take certain liberties like use mo0re action and make up their own situations.

On the ratings thing I have no idea why this show is getting a 7.0 i think it is people just dumping ratings for the entire series based on one show. So pay no attention to the ratings its a bunch of hills viewers who have their panys flossing their asses
    So were episodes #2 and tonight's #3 were a lot better than #1? Are there way more gunfights and stuff? I am more interested in action scenes than dialogs.

justinwestnet

[4]Jul 28, 2008
    • level: 17
    your mistake is comparing this to band of brothers. not the same thing. not the same war, not the same producers, not the same actors. this is about the Iraq war, based on the author's observations and experiences tagging along. they leave out a bunch of stuff but it's true. get past that and you'll like the show. also band of brothers had a lot of action in it. this one didn't because wars change so easily today. Sadaams army didn't give us fits in the invasion, it's been the insurgents.

dennuz

[5]Jul 30, 2008
    • level: 6
    Just saw this episode. Like the topic says "not impressed". I really enjoyed the tv-series OVER THERE. But I'm not sure I'll watch the second episode of GK.
    Edited on 07/29/2008 11:50pm

larsaw

[6]Aug 1, 2008
    • level: 10

Silly this is suppose to be a fairly realistik recount of what happend, and you complaine that the trroops arent getting shot enoff ?

Seriously...i`d think that be a good thing,

peekone

[7]Aug 2, 2008
    • level: 45
    antdude wrote:
    So were episodes #2 and tonight's #3 were a lot better than #1? Are there way more gunfights and stuff? I am more interested in action scenes than dialogs.

if you're interested in action, then anything David Simon has to do with is not for you. Dialogue is all about getting the story out, and making it progress. Real life doesn't have little climaxes before you go to bed. If you want stupid action thrown in for the hell of it, go watch something like 24 or Prison Break, 'cause I doubt you'll be satisfied with something David Simon has put his hands on.

csjjpm

[8]Aug 7, 2008
    • level: 5

Sometimes the best moments in a TV series or a film is when something dramatic happens and nothing is sais. Deathly silence can say it all. Generation Kill has had a few of these.

Stick with it I think you'll find it is a grower. If gives you tension without necessarily the action, that is modern warfare. The anticipation of something about to happen and it goes off with a whimper instead of a bang.

If you are a cowboy then don't watch this. This is psychological and timeless.

ElmoKajaky

[9]Aug 11, 2008
    • level: 8
    If action is all you're interested in, you'll be happy to know that the most recent episode had some pretty intense fighting on a bridge.

MrShotShot

[10]Aug 11, 2008
    • level: 15

There is an old adage in the military that says that war is 98% boredom and 2% unmitigated terror.

What Band of Brothers didn't show you - somewhat - was the 98% of the time they spent hanging out and being bored. What we're seeing in GK is pretty accurate as far as the day-to-day lives of most Marines and soldiers.

I actually wasn't going to watch GK as I assumed it would be a left-wing anti-US hit piece, but have been pleasantly surprised by the first few episodes.

DaImpster

[11]Aug 25, 2008
    • level: 6

I'd have to say that larsaw had the most decet thing to say about this so far!

Otherwise, I really liked the series, and Over There as well. Both are mainly about the situation for the accual troops on the ground and not just some rat-at-at-at redneck action. If you wanna see lots of action go get a Hong-Kong movie (eh, sorry, they've all sold out to Hollywood nowadays but you should know what I mean, unless you're too young anyways) or a Rambo or something. This is more of a drama series and should be rated as such. That's probably what's keeping the rating down, people looking for action and getting dissapointed 'cause they don't get to see burning Iraqui's.

vishus1990

[12]Sep 9, 2008
    • level: 15
    there is more action towards the later eps, im up to ep5 and so far so good. not the best show ive seen but decent.

ScottPreston0

[13]Nov 18, 2009
    • level: 3
    If you want action watch a bruce willis movie. This is more about a look of the lives of the soldiers and the number of moral and political decisions they have to deal with on a daily basis.