Get a Life

FOX (ended 1992)

fuddle2

Get a Life Fan Reviews (8)

• Genius through simplicity.

Being someone who loved this show, never missed it, sought finding copies of it for years after, and now that I have them frequently watch the episodes over and over again, I have to say that though I'm sad about its short life, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did and not surprised at all that they yanked it. TV viewers typically don't want to be constantly reminded they're watching TV, which is exactly what this show did in a snotty kind way, using participation and exploitation of every TV cliche and character ever made, which was brilliantly hilarious and undermining to television itself. Whereas 99% of television shows are just the same story, the same character, the same scenes, jokes, action sequences, componants, etc. played again and again with thinly veiled changes made to showcase the times or a particular niche, they all do this while desperately trying to mask the sameness, the cliche, the fact that you've already seen this before. If you don't see it you get absorbed in the story line and call it a good show, but if you've watched TV attentively this at some point becomes impossible, and the hiding of the fakeness of it all shows through. Get a Life, hated by many executives at FOX, is one of the few shows ever made that made absolutely zero effort at trying to convince you in any way that what you were watching had any basis in reality at all. The brilliantly ludicrous writing combined with the unique comedic expression only Chris Elliot can reveal mocked TV, mocked it's characters, mocked itself, and mocked the notion that people pretending, displayed on a little screen in your home should be taken seriously in any way whatsoever, instead displaying nakedly the nonsensical nature of story lines, characters, cliches, eras, slangs, just as they are, but so much so that they fall apart and can only be laughed to death at. It was one of a kind and I've never seen anything else like it and don't expect too, TV audiences are trained to be able to develop expectations, comfort, and developmental anticipation for the characters and stories they tune in for every week. This show made no sense at all and followed no logic whatsoever, and I'm sure that turned 90% of audiences out there off instantly, as well as the suits who pump out the food for those audiences. It was absurd, ungrounded, and completely phony in every way, in other words it was exactly like every single other program on the air, but was one of the only ones with enough dignity to let you see all of that every minute it was on the air, and not try to convince you it was anything better, which of course made it that. Can't say enough good things about it. Extraordinary.