TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Get Smart Forums

NBC (ended 1970)

Get Smart (The Movie) - 2008 release

lilmissheaven

[1]Dec 13, 2006
    • level: 6
    The movie is set to star Steve Carell (who can be seen in : The 40 Year Old Virgin and the tv show The Office) as Maxwell Smart, and Anne Hathaway (The Devil Wears Prada, Brokeback Mountain) as Agent 99......

Not sure on this one , I have a feeling it will be either really good or really bad... what do you guys think?!
    Edited on 12/13/2006 5:14pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

LostFan05

[2]Feb 14, 2007
    • level: 5
    I think Anne Hathaway would make a good 99. I'm not sure if I'm going to see the movie. Remakes of TV shows are never as good as the original.

LadyGawain

[3]Mar 31, 2007
    • level: 12
    This sounds interesting, I'll have to keep an eye out for it when it's released! I think it just might be a good movie, but it would depend on how it's done, and how the actors work together. I'm not really familiar with them, but we'll see.

SatHizFakShon

[4]Apr 4, 2007
    • level: 3
    WOW! THERE IS ONLY ONE MAXWELL SMART.....THAT'S LIKE TRYING TO DO I DREAM OF JEANNIE, WHO WOULD YOU EVEN CONSIDER CASTING? ACTUALLY HE'S A GOOD ACTOR AND I HOPE HE CAN PULL IT OFF, WITHOUT THE MOVIE GETTING BOGGED DOWN WITH A BUNCH OF SPECIAL EFFECTS, ALL MAXWELL SMART NEEDS IS A SHOE PHONE AND A CONE OF SILENCE.....

supperkat

[5]Apr 12, 2007
    I can't wait for the movie with Steve Carell funny he is.
    Who will play larrabe?

bballmegan22

[6]Apr 28, 2007
    • level: 30
    supperkat wrote:
    I can't wait for the movie with Steve Carell funny he is.
    Who will play larrabe?

It looks like David Koechner (Todd Packer on 'The office', Anchorman, Talledega Nights) will play larrabe according to IMDB.

jamoon2006

[7]Jun 18, 2007
    • level: 36

As a Steve Carrell fan, I have high hopes, but at the same time I am apprehensive. From what I've read, the producers are going a "Johnny English" route and making Max into a real buffoon...an "agent-in-training" who is recruited by 99. Now, Max on the show was goofy, but he was a competent agent. He certainly wasn't stupid. After all, KAOS always tried to assassinate him! Max made mistakes, but it was still recognized that he was a good agent.

Maybe this is wrong...I hope it is! But I think if they try to turn this into an "idiot saves the day" comedy, it won't work, and it won't be true to the spirit of the show. I do, however, have to give the producers a lot of credit. Carrell, Anne Hathaway, Terrence Stamp, Alan Arkin...they've assembled a strong cast. Let's hope the material is equal to their talents!

troll3y

[8]Jul 10, 2007
    The cast looks pretty good... hopefully they can pull it off. My first thought, though, about Steve Carroll was, "what is he going to do about Max's voice?" Max's voice, behind his incompetence, was his trademark character!

In any case, I'll definitely be having a look at this movie, when it's released. Less than one year to go!!!

jamoon2006

[9]Jul 13, 2007

Has anyone seen the trailer yet? It's available online at Yahoo Movies.

It's a short teaser, but I like what I see.

lilmissheaven

[10]Oct 3, 2007

I have seen the trailer, I'm still not sure how I feel about it though lol. It looks decent but at the same time since the "trailer" is more of a teaser its quite difficult to tell which route they will take with it....

only one way to find out! lol

jd2066

[11]Oct 28, 2007

There is a lot of information on the movie at http://www.wouldyoubelieve.com/movie.html
    Unfortunately, it says that while the cast is good the script is not. The page has a list of reasons why not and even an early copy of the script.

Edited on 10/28/2007 3:43pm

jamoon2006

[12]Nov 12, 2007

Yeah, the initial script review I read a while back did not give me much confidence. But I do think Steve Carrell is watchable in whatever he does (he was the best thing about Dan in Real Life)...I think he could be a perfect Maxwell Smart if he's given the right script. Too bad that sounds like it's not going to happen.

It's kind of baffling to me that movies based on great TV shows usually wind up as botched movies. Get Smart is, in my opinion, one of the best comedies in TV history but it doesn't get the love it deserves. And certainly this movie is shaping up to not be the best source of goodwill for the series and its legacy.

Spamemm

[13]Jan 13, 2008
    Since it has Steve Carell in it, I'm confident it will be good. I'm looking forward to it!

jamoon2006

[14]Jan 24, 2008

The international trailer is up, and it has raised my hopes for this movie. Even though it's short, it's got some great bits from the show. Shoe phone, "The old...trick," "Missed it by THAT much!"

http://www.mania.com/57239.html

antdude

[15]Feb 27, 2008
    • level: 28
    During the 80th Academy Awards, they showed Steve Carrell and the woman (forgot her name) coming down to announce the nominees and winner for the category (forgot which one). It had Get Smart song too.

kandlo

[16]Mar 2, 2008
    • level: 1
    antdude wrote:
    During the 80th Academy Awards, they showed Steve Carrell and the woman (forgot her name) coming down to announce the nominees and winner for the category (forgot which one). It had Get Smart song too.

Thanx for at least remembering the name of the event versus calling it (some award show, forgot which one)

TesserT

[17]Mar 21, 2008
    • level: 79
    Just saw the movie trailer at the theater. It made the show seem like it's going to be worth seeing. Hope the trailer didn't have the only viable scenes worth watching!

TesserT

[18]Apr 11, 2008
    • level: 79

Check out the website & movie trailer:

Get Smart movie trailer

johnnysokko

[19]May 3, 2008
    • level: 1
    What? No Hymie??

nyfan

[20]Jun 30, 2008
    • level: 20

Hymie appears at the end, doesn't play an important in this one.

I liked the movie, only real complaint was Seigfried was a little OOC with his seriousness. He is a much more darker character in the movie than on the series.

If and when they do a seqeul I hope Seigfried returns, but other villains appear as well like the Clow or Claw (I forget) and have the villains be an alliance, or just have them be unrelated to the main plot and have Seigfried be the villain in the main plot.

Also the movie didn't have any female KAOS agents, the sequel should use at least one evil girl, the show had memorable episodes with the evil girls.

Edited on 06/30/2008 9:02am