Get Smart

NBC (ended 1970)

laurameyer

Get Smart Fan Reviews (36)

• Not bad!

6.3
    Forget "The Producers", which was lame anyway. If you want to see Mel Brooks's earliest work, then watch an episode of Get Smart on TV Land! Don Adams plays an inept and bumbling spy named Maxwell Smart who has his share of brilliance once in a while. He works for an origanization called Control. He teams up with the competent Agent 99 who he falls in love with and eventually get married to in later episodes. Together they take orders from the chief to take down an evil syndicate called "Kaos". I also liked the hi-tec equipment they used, very innovative for it's time. I enjoy all those 'tricks' the Max and 99 pull to outwit the Kaos agents!

Get Smart is a comedic send off of those James Bond and other super-spy movies that were popular in the 1960's. Another reason why I enjoy Get Smart is how they sometimes use references from The Three Stooges, Charlie Chaplin, and Laurel and Hardy. From what I've heard, Mel Brooks was a fan of those old comedians from the past! I thought the best episodes were that two-parter involving the wax museum! It was called "House of Max". So, don't delay! Watch Get Smart on TV Land and you won't by disapointed! It will keep you laughing from beginning to end! Long live Maxwell Smart and Agent 99!
  • Get Smart, god I miss that show, Why Havent they put it out on DVD yet?

7.6
    Its been ages since I've seen Get Smart, but I remember it being a hilarious show, and everyone I know misses the show, and wishes it was on DVD. Hopefully whatever studio owns the rights to the show, will get it out on DVD soon. It was a classic 60;s show, that was smart, funny, creative, and ahead of its time!
  • Trully Classic

7.8
    Classic in the purest sense of the word. It's a show that made a difference in television and in the history of the media.
    In the middle of the "Cold War" they mannaged to make a show about spys and not being pollytical about it, just being fun. That's hard work.
  • Comedic Spies?

1st ep (09)
  • Would you believe it was funnier than a barrel of monkeys?

And, loving it!

From the openning credits, where he had to pass through a series of doors to reach a telephone booth, where he would dial a number, and be dropped to CONTROL headquarters, through the various misadventures he would have to go through, to the end credits, where he would return through the doors, and get his nose slammed by the one door that wouldn't close, there were chuckles aplenty in this Mel Brooks and Buck Henry inspired comedy!

As a youngster, I was able to appreciate the silliness of the bumbling secret agent who somehow managed to save the day during the Cold War era with his strange, 007-like, gadgets! As an adult, I could appreciate the social and political satire that was interwoven with the comedy.

No other comedy spy-spoof has come even close to touching the mark made by "Get Smart"! That includes shows like "The Man from UNCLE", "I Spy", "Sledgehammer", etc. (the first two were, arguably, more aimed toward the dramatic, but they purposely added comedy to reach a broader audience). Even the subsequent movie ("The Nude Bomb"), and aborted re-birth of the series in 1989, paled in comparison! There's nothing like a classic to raise the bar so high, that it can't be reached even by itself! Sorry about that, Chief!
  • The greatest classic out there..

i used to watch Get Smart every afternoon, but i never see it on anymore. i think that it was a very funny show and a great classic. Don Adams as maxwell smart, made it humourous, and he was also in Inspector Gadget after Get smart. it was only a half our long, which most shows in the 60's were anyway. and it fit right in with a lot of shows of that time.i like it's theme at the first and it was a funny show. it's too bad that don adams has passed away now but he lived agood life up to the age of 82.later.
  • A Man Called Smart...

Imagine a person who's part James Bond & part Jacques Clouseau & you have Agent 86, Maxwell Smart.

Get Smart was not just another johnny-come-lately spy show back in the mid 60's when spy stuff was all the rage, this was a classic comedy spoof of the genre. Don Adams is hilarious as CONTROL Agent 86, yet he manages to foil the plans of KAOS every time, even if he doesn't realize it. Along with Agent 99 (Barbara Feldon) & Chief (Edward Platt), as well as KAOS archnemesis Siegfried (Bernie Kopell), they make the most memorable characters ever in this classic show that i have been watching since i first saw the show back in the late 1970's.

And the most fun part of the show were its catch phrases like: "Would You Believe?", "Missed It By THAT Much" & the funniest one, "Sorry About That, Chief.".

It's no secret that Get Smart is still 1 of my favorite shows.
  • Control of Kaos

Put Mel Brooks and Buck Henry in the same room, and won’t get Shakespeare, but you will get something better, and that is Get Smart. This show so great due to the creative plots and crazy sidebar gags. No matter how many times you see this show, it’s still funny. It's obvious that the actors and crew thoroughly enjoyed coming to work in the morning. The enthusiasm shows through in all of the episodes. Don Adams played Maxwell Smart, Secret Agent 86 for Control. He is an inept spy who always manages to foil the plans of the dastardly rival organization KAOS. Barbara Feldon played Agent 99 and the Late Edward Platt played the Chief. There also was a great ensemble cast of spies and villains. Larry Storch as the Groovy Guru, Bernie Kopell as Siegfried of Kaos, and Victor French as Agent 44.
  • A comedy that shows a sophistication and a broad "low-brow" approach at the same time, something fairly groundbreaking for its time.

A comedy about something as important as the safety of the "free world" has some hurdles to overcome coming into it. Get Smart succeeded in its broad mix of approaches to comedy, including physical pratfalls, satire of world affairs and movies and other television of the time, improbable situations, and pretty strong character development for a comedy. Surprisingly consistent through most of its run, probably its strongest aspects are the Smart character (someone who can be suave one moment, and incredibly dense the next), his relationship with the Chief, and the very talented Barbara Feldon as 99. Unfortunately in the later years, after the marriage of Max and 99, some things were lost, and by the final season, the character of Larabee was elevated in prominance far too much and had taken on a sense of stupidity that even surpassed that carefully balanced for the Smart character. Some formula catch-phrases used by all characters had also grown a little tired. The most memorable lines remain those uttered by personalities like Captain Groman in "Ship of Spies", by Harry Hoo, or by the "Craw".

People often talk about the Get Smart's influence on the spy genre, but I also think it was a precursor to a style of comedy made famous by Police Squad, Airplane!, etc.
  • Maxwell Smart is Agent 86 working for CONTROL, a secret spy organization fighting criminal activity, usually from KAOS, an organization of evil doers.

Get Smart is one of those shows that seems to get better and better as time goes on, even though the spy craze and the Cold War that gave birth to it have both long passed into almost irrelevance. Perhaps because it was a satirical take on the genre has given it more of a shelf life. Indeed, really good satire has been hard to find on network TV over the years. GS helped open the door for sit-coms to do satire, but even there, only a few sit-coms have done satire as well as Smart. With the catch phrases, the wild physical humor and silly sight gags, these shows are still hilarious. And dont underestimate the talents of Don Adams. He was just an absolutely brillant performer on this show. Its kind of sad that nothing else he ever did came even close to matching his work here. And the chemistry between Adams and Agent 99- Barbra Feldon cant be overlooked either. The first 2 seasons were almost flawless thanks in large part to that chemistry. Then in the 3rd season, the producers made a mistake that would haunt them the rest of the series. With the spy craze already starting to fade, they decided, in order to add some life to the series, they would have Max marry 99. At first it didnt seem to hurt, it seemed to add an interesting new element, but soon it became clear that the show had become domesticated and for the final season, they changed the opening and added babies, and further doomed to the show. Fortunately, the first 2 seasons live on in syndication and now on DVD, so some the best satire in the history of American TV can be seen over and over and theres nothing wrong with that. And to further confirm the shows significance, last year saw the release of Get Smart, the full length feature film.
  • James Bond meets Inspector Clouseau in one of the funniest comedies of all time. Would you believe it? The funniest of all time!

Being far too young to have caught "Get Smart" in its original run (born in 1984), my exposure to it came from Nick at Nite reruns. I was hooked on the adventures of Agents 86 and 99 as they fought KAOS, and enormously entertained by the slapstick comedy. Revisiting the series now that I'm older, I still dig the slapstick, but appreciate even more the subtle satire and the almost vaudeville-style wordplay and banter from Don Adams as Maxwell Smart.

All of the spy conventions get sent up gloriously on "Get Smart," as well as pecularities of the workplace. Max is ready to risk it all for his country, provided there's overtime and hazard pay, of course. Throw in other allusions and spoofs of other movies and TV shows, and "Get Smart" is simultaneously a product of its time and something that holds up very well today. I know that sounds weird, but by taking shots at archetypes from TV and film and avoiding more direct cultural references from the period, it remains timeless while other shows from its era are more dated.

You can see the legacy of "Get Smart" all around today - certainly one of the finest spoofs of all time, it's even getting the big screen treatment. While the movie may not live up to the heights of the series, hopefully it will generate more interest in this classic show.
  • Great Classic Television!!!

I just love this show. Don Adams as the dim-witted agent 86, Barbara Feldon as the smart counterpart Agent 99, and Ed Platt as the ever stressed out "Chief" of CONTROL. There mission is to fight the evil KAOS and it leader Siefried played by Bernie Kopell. I just love some of the "secret agent" stuff that is used on the show. The Cone Of Silence, the shoe phone, and anything else that Prof. Carlson could thing up in his lab. Get Smart is one of the best shows that Mel Brooks and or Buck Henry every put on the air.
  • Maxwell Smart-- better known as Agent 86 to fellow CONTROL agents--fights crime in this 1960s 'cold war comedy.'

Although they don't show it too often nowadays, and although it's underrated in my opinion, "Get Smart" is one of the most brilliant TV cold war spoofs. It is absolutely hilarious, and the one liners--said perfectly by Don Adams--are extremely clever. His relationship with Agent 99 (Barbara Feldon) was always amusing. In my opinion, this show is extremely underrated and should be shown more often in syndication.
  • Comic geniuses Buck Henry and Mel Brooks created what is possibly the perfect spy spoof.

Comic geniuses Buck Henry and Mel Brooks created what is possibly the perfect spy spoof. From the series of doors in the opening to the Cone of Silence (what?) to the shoe phone, this send up of the Cold War pits CONTROL against KAOS in a classic good (CONTROL) vs evil (KAOS) battle with a deliciously twisted sense of humor. Don Adams is the stalwart (if not very bright) Maxwell Smart partnered with femme fatale Agent 99 (Barbara Feldon). Despite its age, this show will make you laugh.
  • Best opening sequence ever! It's been decades since I've seen an episode, and the opening sticks with me.

It was a campy show, but the opening sequence defines it as a classic in my mind. It was great comic relief next to shows like Mission: Impossible that played it straight.

Of course, all these spy shows--as with classic James Bond--ultimately depended on a cold war world. I can't imagine how this would work today.
  • A true classic, Get Smart mixes action and comedy together in a brilliantly satirical manner. If you are not familiar with "classic television", then this is the place to start. Get Smart will give you a great introduction and leave you wanting more.

A true classic, Get Smart mixes action and comedy together in a brilliantly satirical manner. If you are not familiar with "classic television", then this is the place to start. Get Smart will give you a great introduction and leave you wanting more. This show goes to prove that you can create a fantastic piece of entertainment without modern special effects, blockbuster payrolls, and everything else embraced in modern television. The acting in this show is brilliant, as they convey the perfect mix of humor without seeming over the top. The dialogue has a "classic" feel to it, yet this is definately nbot a bad thing as it gives the show its own feel. I could go on all day about how this show is a prime example of classic television at its best, but I'm sure you get the idea.

My final review: Classic, great, humourous, all of the above...this show is a definate winner and has the ability to make you want to take a peek at the other "classics" out there.
  • Cold War Spy vs Spy at its best!

Don Adams was genius of simplicity and timing. His dead pan deliveries were genius. I read on CNN.com Obit that he was a Marine and Drill Instructor and that is where he got his sticatto delivery style.

The whole cast was and the writing were brilliant and absolutley silly. The cone of silence just genius!

Hymie running a track event in his suit was brilliant. Every reaction from Chief was just magical.

The agent in all of the vending machines, mail boxes etc too funny.

I will always hold this light hearted comedy dear to my heart. There were so many inventive and ludicrous situations that I can't even begin to name them all.

Rest In Peace, Don Adams!
  • KAOS, CONTROL, Inept agents a recipe for greatness

What a great show, i started watching this show due to really enjoying the film that has just been released. As long as you remember when the show was made its brilliant. The corny one-liners and the really useless gadgets.

Maxwell Smart is the main man as agent 86 of CONTROL he spends each week going on a mission of some nature and somehow manages to complete them in his own comedic way.

To help him he is normally assigned agent99 who is much more adept at spying than 86 and she constantly comes up with good ideas that max steels.

Other key characters help to round of the show, even some who are just plain silly but get the laughs, like the agents who are constantly put in the most ridiculous of places to assist Max.

The show is set against the cold war where KAOS is an eastern European organisation that CONTROL is endeavouring to liquidate. Funny one liners and a blast to the past make this a show to watch. I thouroughly enjoy it. I think it could be funy to see a remake of this show in the form aof a tv programme rather than a film
  • A great spy spoof comedy show starring Don Adams.

A great spy spoof comedy show starring Don Adams. This was more than a pretty good television series. As is normal with good television shows, this one did not last long enough. This is a show that I would suggest watching if you get the chance. Check the bargain bins at Wal-Mart, the online movies sites (Amazon.com and such) and all of the cable channels that run old shows. Nick at Nite and TV Land are great for theses kind of shows. They will even do a week long spot for shows that only had 6 or so episodes. Then you have your super stations. They run a bunch of old shows too. All in all a pretty good show that did not get a good enough chance. Sometimes it is a simple as the show it is up against. Look at Law & Order. It is one of the longest running shows on TV. They moved it to go up against Lost. After about 2 weeks of getting pounded in the ratings it was moved back to it's original time slot. Shows like this should be given more of an opportunity.
  • One of the best tv shows of all time

The series Get Smart is a true television classic. It has the perfect blend of comedy mixed with strong plots involving dangerous situations in the world of espionage.
    Don Adams is absolutely hilarous as Agent 86, Maxwell Smart. His one-liners are legendary, especially when he finds himself in a troubled situation. While he can seem a little slow-witted at times he always manages to find a way to prevail and ruin the evil KAOS plans - even if its slightly by accident! Agent 99 who Smart eventually marries in the series is very stylish and sexy, and the Chief is very funny to watch as he is constantly frustrated by Smart's silliness.
  • Sorry about that Chief, we can't see Get Smart on TV any more

Get Smart is most likely the funniest show I have ever seen. Don Adams as Maxwell Smart, Agent 86, really brings the show alive with comedy. Maxwell Smart is very over confident of himself, and he thinks that everyone knows him. In one episode, he is actually shocked that the bad guys do not recognize him or his name. All of the crazy invention used by Maxwell Smart and the Control agents also help bring humor to the show, from the shoe phone that broke every time Max tapped his shoes together to the cone of silence that always forced the people who used it to sit on the floor because it was lowered to far. Overall, Get Smart is a great old show, and if you get a chance, you should watch it.
  • We are safe only because the intrepid agents of CONTROL are constantly endeavoring to thwart the powers of evil, namely the sinister organization known as KAOS!

As a child I watched the episodes as they originally aired, growing to appreciate them more and more with each year. It was one of my first "favorite shows" going back to just before I began going to school. Here are a few personal musings:

1. Edward Platt was a great straight-man, his Chief was a work of art. I felt secure knowing he had things under control.

2. As a kid I wondered if Agent 99 (Barbara Feldon) ever hung out with Emma Peel (Dianna Rigg). I knew there was a difference between the two ladies because sometimes my Dad would declare "This show isn't for you tonight" (yeah, Miss Emma and Co.)

3. I was totally certain Maxwell Smart (Don Adams) could beat up John Steed (The Avengers' Patrick Mcnee). 4. The Cone of Silence has always ranked as possibly my favorite simple gag device on any television series. 5. Every time I watch Blade Runner I can't help but think of the Cone of Silence during the Voight-Kampff test sequences. Now I imagine some of you will think of it too next time. Thank me or curse me then.

6. I used to think it unfair how Max was referred to as being a total klutz, bumbling about until he accidentally got lucky or 99 saved the day. Only years later did people admit that he could definitely hold his own in hand to hand combat. And not enough is said about his ingenuity and never-say-die attitude.

7. I let out a big laugh whenever Agent 44 (Victor French - the original) popped up from inside a mailbox or a trash can.

8. Michael Dunn scared the bejeezus out of me in the 60's. He was Kaos Agent Mr. Big in the first Get Smart episode and the ever creepy Dr. Loveless on the Wild Wild West. 9. As much as I always had a fascination with robots, I never cared much for Hymie (Dick Gautier).

10.Did I mention the CONE OF SILENCE?
  • What a "Smart" show this one was!

I don't see how anyone could possibly ever dislike this show. Even though it is a late 60s show, it still manages to obtain an ever-growing fan base, even 4 decades later.

I have often wondered though, was Maxwell Smart's name meant to be ironic? "Max Smart"? I am surprised he wasn't killed 100 times during the show's run - though you can't have a show without the main character can you? And I think making him a 'bumbling' character was part of the charm.

Of course the legendary Don Adams would once again rise in popularity during the 80s with the introduction of the classic kid's cartoon "Inspector Gadget" (which I always felt was a "spin" on 'Get Smart').

Classic stuff all round.
  • The best commical satire of spies. Funny, and useful? A classic among all others.

A very good satire, and funny too. Don Adams is the perfect person for max smart. The gadgets are very funny, and 99 isnt bad herself. nothing really bad about this show at all. Was a hit back then, and if it premired today, it would still be a hit. A comedy where sex and violence was in the future. Good, clean fun.
  • And loving it!!!!!!!!!!

I rated this show a ten, it remains one of my favourites. I watched it from the start way back in 1969. I was 9 years old. I've seen every episode a few times over. The last season was the best. I liked it when 99 and Max got married and had babies. One of my favourite episodes was the one where they went to London to catch criminals in Hyde Park and at the wax museum.

Also, when 99 gave birth to the twins, that was a very good one. It was a comedy drama that was very well done. I hope it comes back to reruns soon.
  • The Best!

I love Get Smart! Ben Franklin once said there are two thing in life that are guaranteed: Death and Taxes. Well, I have a third. The Cone of Silence will never work. No matter what.
    What can I say? This show IS the definition of classic! It's amazing!
    Agent 86 Forever!
  • If the FBI has agents like Max working for they have nothing to worry about would you believe ?

Get Smart is a show based around Maxwell Smart who is an agent of Control trying to be a force good and niceness if only Kaos would do the same. 99 who is Max's partner is the better spy out of the pair but she lets Max take the credit for it and also her name is never revealed which is a bit more spy like compared to Max who every Kaos agent knows my name and number.And we can't forget the beloved Chief of Control who has to put up with Max all the time and clean up the mess which Max gets himself into.
    Overall the show is funny and has a whole pile of catch phrases which you will know and love by a couple of episode but the lines still stay good.
  • A secret agent from the 60's tries to save the world weekly from evil organizations.

What can I say about this show? This show is classic Mel Brooks. It is absolutely in my top five television shows of all time. I started watching the reruns when I was a little kid, and I laughed like a loon then. Guess what? The antics and exploits of Max Smart still make me laugh like a loon. It is and was great stuff.

There are so many great characters connected to this show. Among my favorite are Hymie the Robot, Siegfried, Laerabee,
    The Chief, and the agent that was always popping up in unusual places (forgot his name). One of the absolute best parts is that this show had so many great lines that still bring a smile. 1. Would you believe ... ?
    2. The Cone of Silence
    3. ....and loving it!

Classic.
  • this was such a great show, the comedy the action, the cheesyness, it had everything.

I only watched this show in re-runs, but it became a favorite of mine right away. Max, 99, the cheif, even laraby and Hymie the robot, were all great characters. Zigfried was a good villan too. They had the Cone of Silence, the neat gadgets that Max always was misusing but worked out for him some how. They also had some great catch phrases like "missed it by that much", and of course the phrase "I told you not to tell me that" I loved this show, in fact they just had a Time Life deal for it I was thinking about getting it on DVD. This show was great. They need to bring back the re-runs to TV Land or Nick at Nite.
  • One of my favorite shows of all time.

The reason why I like this show is not clear to me.
    HAHA. =] well i guess its because this show is sweet and funny at the same time.
    The repetitive jokes are not annoying..this is a really good show.

I personally enjoy the episodes that show us what the 60s were about.
    && 99's wardrobe.

Now that the DVDs are out I plan to watch each of the episodes carefully, and laugh with the good jokes and just entertain myself with my favorite show.

The truth is that I'm not good writing reviews [actually, im not good in any kind of writing] but this a worth-watching show.
< 1 2