Getbackers

Animax Entertainment (ended 2003)

SrRui

Getbackers Fan Reviews (18)

• GetBackers gives audiences lovable characters and interesting plots, while at the same time providing laughs and excitement along the way.

Animes are kind of getting their own genre nowadays, it seems. Some animes are more action-packed, others are more focused on plot, and there are some that tend to lean on character development. Initially, I always went to the shows with the intelligent plot because conflicts that make you think make things more interesting. After watching GetBackers for the first time, I must admit I wasn't overly impressed by a long shot. In fact, that is what makes this show amazing: how the viewer must continue to come back for more.

Ginji Amano and Ban Mido are our two main characters in GetBackers. What are the GetBackers? The GetBackers with letters "G" and "B" represent Ginji and Ban, respectively. They have their own business called the GetBackers, and their job is to get back items that were stolen from people . . . for a fee. Both characters spend most of their time at the Honky Tonk cafe in Shinjuku, Tokyo, where customers go to see Genji and Ban for assistance. The blond, upbeat, and lovable oaf that is Ginji has the ability to conduct electricity all on his own. Ban describes Ginji as an electric eel when in a defensive state. Ban Mido is usually a laid back character that is the brains of the two, and is the one that keeps Ginji in the peppy mood that he's in because Ginji has experienced unforgettable memories that internally haunt him. Ban possess a power called "snake bite" in which he uses 200 kilograms-force. Ban also has the ability in which he is able to send his enemies into a nightmare that seems as real as the world they live in for a minute. This technique is called the Jagon or "the Evil Eye." Ban is in the GetBackers business just to get money to start a living, but Ginji is in it for the sake of helping people.

When we are introduced to our two main heroes Ginji and Ban, the show almost makes itself appear as if it were a straightforward, simple show about two abnormal men with awkward superpowers. It may take up unto the fourth episode until things begin to get interesting. Yes, Ginji and Ban do their battles like most of us would expect, but the fourth episode starts to really branch out when we are shown the type of "battle genius" Ban Mido is. Not only Ban, but a slew of other interesting characters do the same as well. This contributing factor may interest viewers. Even if the battles are interesting, it's still not enough for a show to great.

That brings me to my next point. Another thing GetBackers does right is introducing its characters in a nice, slow way just to get to know the surface of their personalities. As the show progresses, we continuously learn more and more about these characters, especially about Ginji and Ban. At the beginning, we really are left in the dust about these two people, the type of world they live in, and the mysterious "Limitless Fortress." It's interesting how when we continue to learn more about these characters, that they are woven into the plot so elegantly. Further making the viewer interested.

So what genre is this animated goody? It has just enough of everything to please just about anyone. Maybe at times, you would wish that it would be more serious, but if it were, it would ruin the entire atmosphere of the show. The lovable characters and the conflicts that follow them make this show fat-out addictive and satisfying. It gives us that "intelligent show" feel, at the same time being witty and unpredictable. At its core, GetBackers has its moments, and to be honest, it's one the best animes out there. At first this show may not appeal to everyone, but once you see what it has to offer, you can see what heart it has and justice to be considered a television show.
  • If you lost something, the Getbackers will get it back. 100% Guaranteed!

I fell in love with this show after one episode, and it wasn't even though first episode. Yet again, it is very underrated. Short Summery: Ban Mido and Ginji Amano, the two main characters that run a recovery service retrieve lost items, however, they never seem to get money for these deeds. A very enjoyable action/comedy with very like-able characters. I don't think there was one character that I hated. The anime has a base story line but it can get pretty random from time to time. But the episodes are hysterical and it's a very good anime to watch if you're in a down mood to cheer you up. Pros of the show:
    ~Like-able characters
    ~good animation
    ~good music
    ~Hysterical

Cons of the show: ~Emishi wears this ugly outfit in a couple episodes
    ~not much romance
  • best anime ever created!!!

this series was my obsession for the longest time. but it makes sense when you watch the show. the two main characters are Ginji Amano and Ban Midou, who run a recovery service. Ginji and Ban are hysterical together. you can't help but laugh at their antics (like never making money). classic! of the two though, Ginji is my personal fave. He is so stupid at times, like the whole Venus de Milo arc, but he is so cute!! and HOT. the action in the show is first rate and the comedy will have you peeing your pants it is soo good. the supporting cast is also very likeable and you don't hate any one of them at all. they are so well-rounded. i have seen many other anime, but none have ever come close to beating this show as my favorite. RECOMMENDED!!!!
  • this is x-men meets anime and street fighter!(nuff said)

the first time i saw this show i was amazed!,plus i also saw it out of pure bordem.Anyway even though the first episode i saw was'nt the first episode of the series (like if i cared)i still loved it.Now i know what your thinking "wow another anime about two guys that have a battle almost in every episode"(i call this type of show the dbz type).Sure we'ev all seen and heard of animes like this and half of us with commen sense tend to well...hate these types of shows.Well getbackers may have some dbz qualities to it it's still really cool with some beliveble fight scenes and cool characters,not to mention the fact that some of characters have powers on the show(which even though no one may say it but we all know that their mutants).The two main characters are also cool cause the creaters of the did'nt make two powerful(dbz)or to dramatic(full metal alchemist),and the fact that the two main characters(ban&ginji) are'nt heros to protect the planet makes this anime a little more original.Also the animation is also pretty good.

don't take my word for it watch the show your self if you can and let me konw what you personally think about it and any other show that i've reviewd.
  • Two of the main characters, who form the get backers, are the main focus of the series. One of which came control electricity and the other has snake like theme as he can be sly and cunning and make anyone see illusiuons. Hired to get back whatever.

Well in short this is a really good anime to watch for those new to anime since it does not have 50 people all wiht diffrent powers and diffrent back stories that should each have their own 300 page book; and it's simulary good for those experienced in anime watching since it can keep intrest for a good long time with a good solid plot, set of characters, and of course a good theme that is not way over used but it's still there. as for the actual story I'll give no spoilers other than the main powers and that this is a great story to play and then play again as you'll notice quite a few things you missed the first few times.
  • From terrible to excellent depicting the quality of shounen animes, Getbackers is right dab in the middle.

7.4
    Getbackers is about two extremely powerful guys that run a recovery service with a 100% recovery rate to flaunt. Ginji Amano is able to wield lightning to his liking as well as absorb it, and Ban Midou can physically overpower you as well as hypnotize you for an entire minute with his jagan. The first couple episodes and the episodes that follow the first major arc deal with the wild adventures the getbackers go through in order to recover whatever stolen item their client has lost. The two major arcs run through its usual shounen course of infiltrating buildings and battling various foes with unique fighting abilities.

Getbackers is rather average. If you are a long time anime fan, most of the things you have seen here are not out of the usual. We have the silent assassin who likes killing people and barely has a raised voice in Jackal, the man who looks like a woman and even wears feminine dresses in Kazuki, the rival to Ban Midou in Shido, and you could probably guess what role the other characters fill in as well.

Despite this, the characters are rather memorable in a sense and their development is pretty fun to watch. Even though they are basically carbon copies of other characters in other anime universes, they all have their unique charm to them. One of the more important things this anime does is character execution, and I'm a strong advocator of how important character development is than story development (although having both really doesn't hurt).

What is pretty unique is while everyone has their own unique abilities, they all claim to have enrolled in a school that specializes in their fighting style. Kazuki is the threadmaster and is from the thread fighting school, while Jubei came from the flying needles school. It adds this sense of freshness to the world of Getbackers. The play on services here is pretty new as well. Along with a recovery service, there are other services, like a transporting service, protection service, that may get in the way of the getbackers in their mission. The fillers do a good job of displaying the unique side of Getbackers.

The key word in that last sentence was fillers. The fillers do establish what separates Getbackers from other shounen anime, but they are still what they are; fillers that no one likes. They are excessive and sometimes unoriginal. Surprisingly, there is a good ratio of good fillers that are very watchable, and others that are a bore to watch. You'll get a filler episode that is very original, fun, cute, and hilarious, and the next is the opposite of those things. In a sense the fillers cancel each other out.

The main arcs, which mainly deal with the mysterious city called The Limitless Fortress, are what you would expect, if you were expecting average. There really isn't any big twists, but the story is at least constructed decently. What detracts from the enjoyment is excessive Dragonball Z-esque talking and uninspirational lead antagonists. The main antagonist in an arc should look bad, strong, and undefeatable, not a computer geek. Thankfully the antagonist in the second arc is a huge improvement in this regard. Dissapointingly, like most shounen anime, many questions are left unanswered.

While average, Getbackers was still an enjoyable watch thanks to its unique blend of characters. The fillers are inconsistent in its quality, so you'll never know what you're getting out of them. At least the main arcs are the same; just a bit too average for the average shounen anime.
  • GetBackers is a manga series written by Yuya Aoki and illustrated by Rando Ayamine. It is published by Kodansha in Japan and serialized in Shonen Magazine

6.6
    The manga tells the story of a pair known as the GetBackers, consisting of Ban Mido and Ginji Amano. The duo reside in one of the seedier areas of Shinjuku in Tokyo, and are often broke and resort to sleeping in their car. Ban and Ginji operate a freelance repossession service or dakkanya. For a fee, they will recover any lost or stolen item for a client. The two boast an "almost 100% success rate" (100% in the anime). Their motto is: "We get back what shouldn't be gone". However, Ban and Ginji are not ordinary human beings. They each possess mysterious abilities which they use to carry out their many recovery missions. Ban's powers include the "Snakebite", a skill which gives his hands a grip of 200 kilograms-force, and the "Evil Eye" ("Jagan", a Japanese term roughly meaning "evil eye"), an ability to induce minute-long hallucinations of Ban's choosing in whomever he makes direct eye contact with. However, this ability cannot be used on the same person twice in a 24-hour period, and he has to rest between uses. The Evil Eye can also only be used three times in one day. Ginji, on the other hand, can generate enormous amounts of electrical energy in his body for tasks such as attacking opponents, or overloading electronic systems; this has earned him the moniker of "Lightning Lord" ("Raitei", a Japanese term also translated as "Thunder Emperor", or "Lightning Emperor"). Despite the simplicity of their job's description, Ban and Ginji's profession often places them into bizarre and dangerous situations in order to obtain the objects they must find. Their targets range from everyday objects such as a video game a school kid has lost to an even much more dangerous object which might just affect the safety of the nation (such as a vital part of an atomic bomb). As such, the plot mostly revolves around the dangerous (yet sometimes silly) adventures they both go through, which is often complicated by connections to the pair's dark and twisted pasts, and a mysterious place called Infinity Fortress ("Mugenjou", a Japanese term also translated as "Limitless Fortress", "the Infinite Castle" and "Maze City").
  • I love the way they fight!

They’re the GetBackers , and they live by a simple motto: “If it was taken, we’ll get it back.” Their success rate is 100%. They may have no luck with money, but they always come through on a job, no matter how small. Ban Mido and Ginji Amano are no ordinary retrieval service though. With Ginji's ability to generate lightning and Ban's Jagan Eye and 200kg force grip, they'll take on any job, from retrieving stuffed toys to fine art to lost memories. If the GetBackers say they'll get it back, they will
  • They always get back what was stolen with 100% success.

All their fighting styles are really unique. Mido Ban uses his evil eye technique when he has eye contact with a person in battle. This technique allows the person to see an illusion for a minute. His snake bite technique has a grip 200kg enabling it to crush anything. Amano Ginji once a leader of the Volts and known as the Thunder Emperor as his body is able to emit electricity on its own. His power also gives him the ability to summon lightning, magnetism, and a rapid-healing ability. In other words, he is like a walking electric eel. Akabane Kuroudo is a cold blooded killer who became a transporter to kill people in the way. His choice of weapon is 108 scalpels. His speed and accuracy is admirable. Himiko Kudo also known as Lady Poison uses 7 poison perfumes which she uses in battle. The 7th perfume is used as her last resort. Flame scent [Kaenkou] will make a person's body burn from the inside, causing them to breathe fire; regression scent [Taikoukou] causes the brain functions to be reduced to minimum, turning people into monkeys; puppet scent [Kugutsukou], which makes others obey her every command; tracking scent [Tsuibikou] which will allow her to track her own movements, or for others to follow her trail; time scent [Jigenkou] that ceases all muscle movement in the victim at the designated time; corrosion scent [Fushokukou] that reacts like acid to anything that it touches; and acceleration scent [Kasokukou] that doubles her physical speed each time she uses it, at great risk to her own health. Kazuki Fuchoin, Kazuki of the Threads, is a thread master and also a former leader of the Volts. His strings are contained in the bells which are tied to his hair. His threads can be so strong that it can cut through stone. Shido Fuyuki is a beast master and also a former leader of the Volts. He has the ability called the "Beast Whistle" which he enables him to call any type of animals within a two mile radius. Shido has this other ability called "Beast Mimicry" in which he transforms parts of his body into an animal which give him the ability of the animal he's using. It is said that he has 101 of these forms. Emishi Haruki is a master of the Rouran Dancing Whip. His chosen weapon is that of a whip named Rouran Butou Ben, a lethal yet extremely flexible weapon made from the strands of hair from the females of Rouran. Haruki can also use his own blood as a weapon as it is flammable. In other words, if he uses his blood in battle it is a self destruct technique. Jubei Kakei, a member of the volts, uses Kakei flying needles for healing. His job was to protect and serve the descendent of Fuchion who was Kazuki Fuchoin.
  • GetBacker This anime is definitely among the best. It's just good. Nothing else can be said. Alright, alright, I'll say more: It's interesting, I found it different because there was a completely different society and loads of funny and cool characters.

One of the best features in the show is Ginji's chibi form is very different from other chibi from other shows and it maks him look hilarious. Of course there's Ban, who is so cool and hilarious at the same time. And the whole bunch of the others that would take ages to type about. Basically, the character design in good, powers are superb.
    Ooh, plus Ginji is even more hilarious when he's being terrified by Akabane Kuroudo.

the fighting scenes are GREAT. It's detailed, it looks great, they are original, and the scenes are really brought out. Unlike, SOME shows were there is just a flash, scream and pose, the enemy is dead.

Animation:~
    Just good, not fantastic, not bad. Special effects were not too bad; character design was great
    There were no inconsistencies or the like. As far as I remember they were never grossly distorted.

The only BAD POINT I would say about this show is that they didn't follow the manga plot towards the end and the second time they entered Mugenjyo I found a lot of scenes very similar to the earlier scenes. That sort of spoilt the show. The end was an anti-climax. This is probably because the manga was (and probably is) still on-going...at a VERY SLOW RATE. So the producers probably couldn't wait for it.

Anyway, this show is worth watching. If you are disappointed by the ending, go get the manga to clear up some doubts. Though the art is bad at first, it's great after some volumes. Oh, but be warned. The manga contains some *coughs* *coughs* MATURE content. Oh alright, it's some nudity and ( i don't think so but some people think it's very obvious) yoai hints. Another good thing about the anime is that it is "clean" in the sense that it doesn't contain that sort of stuff. (Yes, that's a good thing for me..I don't like nudity. I'm a girl. > < )

Even if you aren't interested in the plot, someone who is really into anime should watch it as it is one of the most popular anime around.
  • this is x-men meets anime and street fighter!(nuff said)

• Two guys called Ban Mido and Ginji Amano are in a recovery bussines. They also have powers. Ban Mido has two,one is that he can turn his hand into a snake-like force, and the other is to give people good dreams or bad nightmares. Ginji can make lighting.

Two guys called Ban Mido and Ginji Amano are in a recovery bussines. they also have powers. Ban Mido has two powers, one is that he can turn his hand into a snake-like force, and the other is to give people good dreams or bad nightmares. Ginji can make lighting. And there moto is "We get back what shouldn't be gone". They are the best recovery duo out there to take on any assignment. Only if they can get good paying jobs, they can pay there tab as well.they have been in some bad times before, but they still make it out alive.
  • This show was one of my favorites.

This show is one of my favorites shows. It make sense and i'd seem to like it. I did like the episode when the girl did her best to get the old lady momentum back. It was one of my favorite episode becuse it was funny and i saw a new person. Also I like when every episode has flash back. It help the show alot. Also it help us know the charecters more. This show is a little funny and has lot of action. Which I like alot. It was a good pick when they put this on Anime on Demand. These are the reason why it is one of my favorites show.
  • The get backers, Genji and Ban will under take any mission thrown their way. And succeed too. With Genjis electricity and Bans evil eye and snake bite, they can live up to this promise.

One of the best animie out there. The show revolves around Ban Mito and Genji Ermano, two retrieval experts. They are deep in dept and spend most of their time in a cafe Honkt Tonk. But when Heaven gives them a mission, they are the get backers. Genji, a former gang leader and Ban, a fighter of immense strength and wielder of immense power. More often then not they receive no financial repayment for their services and even end up worse of then before. The cast included, Genjis old friends members of his gang the volts, Heaven their agent, Natsume, a friend and Paul, the owner of Honky Tonk.
  • One of my favourite series and the best action anime I've ever watched (Naruto is nothing comparing to this and even Bleach isn't as entertaining as GB).

What really annoys me is when people who didn't even see anime are rating it bad. I'm sure that most of them are nerds who doesn't leave their own house. When I watch Get Backers I'm bursting with energy and I can make records in push-ups or run like hell.
    Series like that are necessary and I wish that there would be continuation.
    GetBackers has great action, fights are one of the best I've ever seen in anime. Characters are marvellous especially Ban, Ginji and of course Hevn ^_^ . Although the plot isn't genius enjoyment from watching is very high (10/10 if I would rank it).
    The music and sound are splendid and I can't compalin. All in all GetBackers is absolutely fabulous and disadvantages are nothing compared to it's merits.
  • An interesting anime with comedy, suspense, and action. "The Transporter" crossed with super-human powers.

Getbackers is an anime about 2 young men, Amano Ginji & Mido Ban, who specialize in retrieval.
    Customers ask them to get back something they've
    lost, regardless of what it is or it's worth.

Hence they become, The Getbackers!

This show is certainly a comedy. Many of the
    characters are hilarious in their antics, and
    in the situations they are found in, whether by
    accident or on purpose. The jokes never get old,
    and you're guaranteed to laugh.

As for Drama, there isn't THAT much of it. Really,
    whatever drama there is, is quickly resolved in a
    happy manner. This could turn off some viewers.

Action there is plenty of. The real shinning part
    of this show is that the characters themselves
    each have a very unique and special power with
    various different techniques. The fight scenes
    are fast and furious, and very exciting.

The story is well done in the areas that are not
    major plots. The saga involving the Getbackers
    1st trip to "The Limitless Fortress" is although
    good and exciting, very dragged out into a long
    DBZ-esque saga (3 DVDs for that one story.) The
    majority of stories are quick 1 story episodes,
    which is where the show truly shines.

The finale of the series is very disappointing.
    It is in a word, very anti-climactic, and leaves
    you in a unfulfilled state.

Despite it's lackluster ending, the series is
    a very enjoyable anime that many fans should
    definitely pick up, if not view in it's entirety.
  • One of the best anime you probably never heard of

The show is about a Recovery Service by the name of the Getbackers. Ginji Amano and Ban (or Bond) Midou can get back anything that has been stolen. Now you may think that’s pretty stupid (I know I did) but if you just sit down and watch the first five episodes there’s a pretty good chance you will get hook on it. They have special powers which makes it very enjoyable to watch; Ginji, who is a bit of an oddball, has the power of Lighting and Bond, who is a genius when it comes to battle, has his Jagan along with his 200kg force grip. They face many problems such as getting back cargo on a truck with a deadly transporter on board. (My personal favorite character) Overall, it really is a great anime show to watch I don’t want to say anymore because it may ruin some surprises but really if you’re an anime person go see it. If you’re a semi anime person still go see it.
  • A show of well, people trying to get stuff back. The getbacker's will return things to you. It gets messy sometimes....gun fights, stalking, different things...anyway that's their job.

7.9
    Not a bad show something that is more of an avrage anime....not too popular but still a good one to check out!!! It can be a little bit dissipointing i guess....sad they should of made it go on public television...it's something that wouldn't catch the eye of your avarage joe, but for an anime fanatic it's a nice series....