Getbackers

Animax Entertainment (ended 2003)

SrRui

Getbackers Fan Reviews (18)

• GetBackers gives audiences lovable characters and interesting plots, while at the same time providing laughs and excitement along the way.

Animes are kind of getting their own genre nowadays, it seems. Some animes are more action-packed, others are more focused on plot, and there are some that tend to lean on character development. Initially, I always went to the shows with the intelligent plot because conflicts that make you think make things more interesting. After watching GetBackers for the first time, I must admit I wasn't overly impressed by a long shot. In fact, that is what makes this show amazing: how the viewer must continue to come back for more.

Ginji Amano and Ban Mido are our two main characters in GetBackers. What are the GetBackers? The GetBackers with letters "G" and "B" represent Ginji and Ban, respectively. They have their own business called the GetBackers, and their job is to get back items that were stolen from people . . . for a fee. Both characters spend most of their time at the Honky Tonk cafe in Shinjuku, Tokyo, where customers go to see Genji and Ban for assistance. The blond, upbeat, and lovable oaf that is Ginji has the ability to conduct electricity all on his own. Ban describes Ginji as an electric eel when in a defensive state. Ban Mido is usually a laid back character that is the brains of the two, and is the one that keeps Ginji in the peppy mood that he's in because Ginji has experienced unforgettable memories that internally haunt him. Ban possess a power called "snake bite" in which he uses 200 kilograms-force. Ban also has the ability in which he is able to send his enemies into a nightmare that seems as real as the world they live in for a minute. This technique is called the Jagon or "the Evil Eye." Ban is in the GetBackers business just to get money to start a living, but Ginji is in it for the sake of helping people.

When we are introduced to our two main heroes Ginji and Ban, the show almost makes itself appear as if it were a straightforward, simple show about two abnormal men with awkward superpowers. It may take up unto the fourth episode until things begin to get interesting. Yes, Ginji and Ban do their battles like most of us would expect, but the fourth episode starts to really branch out when we are shown the type of "battle genius" Ban Mido is. Not only Ban, but a slew of other interesting characters do the same as well. This contributing factor may interest viewers. Even if the battles are interesting, it's still not enough for a show to great.

That brings me to my next point. Another thing GetBackers does right is introducing its characters in a nice, slow way just to get to know the surface of their personalities. As the show progresses, we continuously learn more and more about these characters, especially about Ginji and Ban. At the beginning, we really are left in the dust about these two people, the type of world they live in, and the mysterious "Limitless Fortress." It's interesting how when we continue to learn more about these characters, that they are woven into the plot so elegantly. Further making the viewer interested.

So what genre is this animated goody? It has just enough of everything to please just about anyone. Maybe at times, you would wish that it would be more serious, but if it were, it would ruin the entire atmosphere of the show. The lovable characters and the conflicts that follow them make this show fat-out addictive and satisfying. It gives us that "intelligent show" feel, at the same time being witty and unpredictable. At its core, GetBackers has its moments, and to be honest, it's one the best animes out there. At first this show may not appeal to everyone, but once you see what it has to offer, you can see what heart it has and justice to be considered a television show.