Ghost Hunters Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on SyfyBetween Seasons

Helmet Cams, why not ?

Zulu3legs

[1]Dec 13, 2008
    • level: 3

Have you guys had enough, just like me, with that phrase "you saw that ?" ?

I mean, why don´t they use helmet or some sort of head cams so we would be able to see (theoretically) everything they supposedly saw.

Someone is always seeing something interesting that no camera is able to catch, not even a glimpse.

Am I right or just too grumpy ?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

BTRAV

[2]Dec 14, 2008
    • level: 27
    No, you're right. I'm sick of the cameras being pointed on them all the time and I'd like to see things from their point of view.

blackgoddess316

[3]Dec 14, 2008
    • level: 6
    yeah let's see what they see so it won't be "did u see that??" or "oh my goodness!" and about time the cameras turn to look in the direction they are facing, the item in question is gone. helmet cameras bring it on.

Zulu3legs

[4]Dec 14, 2008
    • level: 3

If Steve and the guys need some ideas on the subject, here´s a good one :

http://www.gizmag.com/worlds-smallest-hi-def-camera-toshiba/9115/

Edited on 12/14/2008 11:12am

fatallylost

[5]Dec 26, 2008
    • level: 8
    As much as I love the show, I completely agree with the camera thing. Maybe it's a gimmick of the show, but, say I'm looking at the wall, cause I keep seeing something. Wouldn't you point the camera at the wall, not me?

KMTaber

[6]Jan 2, 2009
    • level: 11
    The camera crews on the show are there to capture the investigators, not the investigation. Otherwise, why have all that equipment they set up. Helmet cams would be a cool idea, but who would want to wear that equipment for 5-6 hours on each investigation. They film more investigations than what end up on the show. I get the feeling Jason doesn't like wearing the backpack on the live shows so the thermal images can be shown live. In the last live show, he had Steve Valentine carry the thermal.

Dave62150

[7]Feb 26, 2009
    • level: 4
    To be fitted with a mini cam and transmitter would weigh less than 5 lbs. And could come in the form of glasses with a transmitter that can be worn on a belt. I ask Grant last year why we are always hearing them say: "Did you see that". And of course we never do see anything but their backs and the shadows they cast. And please stop showing people pointing. I want see what they are pointing at not the blank wall where what ever it was used to be. They blame the camera work on the production crew along with the post production music covering the sound were are trying to hear of the EVPs. I don't care who is at fault please just fix it. The same problems are on GHI. I still like both shows because they sometimes catch a ghost on video or in a still picture. Very cool when they do, and it freaks them out a bit too. At least on GHI.
    Edited on 02/26/2009 3:03am
    Edited 2 total times.

webe123

[8]Mar 12, 2009
    @KNTaber....Sorry , but YOU ARE WRONG! The show is not about Jason and Grant only, but what they do! What purpose could there possibly be for just putting cameras on them, when it is supposed to be about the ghosts themselves...NOT THE INVESTEGATORS! I think most here are right....bring on the helmet cams! At least then, you would not have to take their word for it when they say ..."did you see that"?
    Edited on 03/12/2009 11:01pm

grailwolf

[9]Mar 19, 2009
    • level: 55

webe123 wrote:
    @KNTaber....Sorry , but YOU ARE WRONG! The show is not about Jason and Grant only, but what they do! What purpose could there possibly be for just putting cameras on them, when it is supposed to be about the ghosts themselves...NOT THE INVESTEGATORS! I think most here are right....bring on the helmet cams! At least then, you would not have to take their word for it when they say ..."did you see that"?
    Please be careful with your tone. This is a debate regarding two opinions, it is not appropriate to tell someone else that their opinion is "wrong". I would point out, for example, that if the show is not about the investigators then the title "Ghost Hunters" was poorly chosen. There is definitely an argument to be made that SciFi is producing a series about Jay and Grant, not about the paranormal.

So, what you are really saying is that you would prefer that the show focus more on the ghosts and less on Jason, Grant, and the rest of the team. It is entirely appropriate to say that, but not to yell at another poster (all caps is yelling) and tell them that they are wrong. I would also like to throw in the fact that SciFi (Piligian, actually) only sends along a couple of hand-held cameras and some audio equipment. We know this because of the cases in which the cameras have turned around to catch things that impacted the crew (such as the Armory case where the audio equipment jumped up by itself and knocked down the sound guy). Otherwise they rely on TAPS for the rest of the video, and they do not buy equipment for them, so helmet cams would be an out of pocket expense for them.

So here are my pros and cons for helmet cams:

Pro:

• Adds another source of video to possibly catch more activity
    • lightweight and portable
    • relatively inexpensive nowadays

Con:

• TAPS would have to come up with the money
    • Would require them to wear hats even on very, very hot investigations
    • Wearing the electrical equipment would mean that anyone with a helmet cam could not reliably take EMF readings
    • The video produced would be shaky and largely unusable unless they buy state of the art, infrared, gyro-stabilized versions which would be far too expensive (I think)
    • There is no guarantee that the investigator's head would be turned toward any activity (rather than just his/her eyes) so you may not be any more likely to get footage.
    • This is another source of video which means that more man-hours would have to be spent reviewing the recordings, which may result in having to either pay another researcher or find another person who is willing to do all this work on a volunteer basis.
    To my mind, this seems like a lot of work and expense for what may be limited or no benefit. Do we know for sure that they haven't tried such cameras already, or are we just assuming that we are far more clever than they are?
    Edited on 03/19/2009 7:23am

KMTaber

[10]Mar 24, 2009

Just to follow up on what Grailwolf already said so well. If you look on the scifi.com sight at their description of the show, it states, "This one-hour weekly reality show from the creator/executive producer of American Chopper follows a group of real-life paranormal researchers as they investigate hauntings throughout the country." It specifically says it follows the group. It does not say allows you to investigate with.

As I said before, helmet cams would be cool. But to get good ones with high enough quality and the ability to shoot in the dark, may not be feasible either technologywise or financially for the group.

BTRAV

[11]Mar 25, 2009
    Or they could use personal hand-held cameras more often. Maybe. (Already starting to see a couple flaws with that so don't jump on me!)
    Edited on 03/25/2009 7:38am

KMTaber

[12]Mar 25, 2009
    One of the things you miss with cameras overall is that cameras do not have peripheral vision. In dark areas, you pick up more with your peripheral vision than looking straight at something. Many times, the investigators have said they saw something and it was off to the side of their vision, not straight ahead. One example is Steve at Weaverly when he thought it was his reflection until he realized there was no glass in the windows.

webe123

[13]Apr 29, 2009

grailwolf wrote:
    So, what you are really saying is that you would prefer that the show focus more on the ghosts and less on Jason, Grant, and the rest of the team. It is entirely appropriate to say that, but not to yell at another poster (all caps is yelling) and tell them that they are wrong. I would also like to throw in the fact that SciFi (Piligian, actually) only sends along a couple of hand-held cameras and some audio equipment. We know this because of the cases in which the cameras have turned around to catch things that impacted the crew (such as the Armory case where the audio equipment jumped up by itself and knocked down the sound guy). Otherwise they rely on TAPS for the rest of the video, and they do not buy equipment for them, so helmet cams would be an out of pocket expense for them.

Sorry for the shouting, but I get so tired with people making excuses for not using something simple like a helmet cam, when it would clear a lot of doubt about what they saw. I get so sick of hearing" did you see or hear that? "as far as the expense goes, you would think that they should be able to afford it. Jason and Grant already bought an INN, so if they have that kid of money, helmet cams should not be out of the question.

But the peeve I have with this show is when you cannot see or hear anything because of: 1. No Helmet cams and 2. the stupid music they have. Which makes the show seem like it is trying to create an atmosphere rather than letting the things the investegators turn up set the atmosphere. Again, I think you are wrong about it being about Jason and Grant, the show is called "ghost hunters" not the Jason and Grant show. So it is about Ghost hunting.

grailwolf wrote:
    So here are my pros and cons for helmet cams:

Pro:

• Adds another source of video to possibly catch more activity
    • lightweight and portable
    • relatively inexpensive nowadays

Con:

• TAPS would have to come up with the money
    • Would require them to wear hats even on very, very hot investigations
    • Wearing the electrical equipment would mean that anyone with a helmet cam could not reliably take EMF readings
    • The video produced would be shaky and largely unusable unless they buy state of the art, infrared, gyro-stabilized versions which would be far too expensive (I think)
    • There is no guarantee that the investigator's head would be turned toward any activity (rather than just his/her eyes) so you may not be any more likely to get footage.
    • This is another source of video which means that more man-hours would have to be spent reviewing the recordings, which may result in having to either pay another researcher or find another person who is willing to do all this work on a volunteer basis.

To my mind, this seems like a lot of work and expense for what may be limited or no benefit. Do we know for sure that they haven't tried such cameras already, or are we just assuming that we are far more clever than they are?

You are assuming a lot about helmet cams.

First off, technology is relatively inexpensive. So I do not think it would be cost prohibitive.

Second, as far as wearing hats on hot investigations, they have done it on halloween specials, so what is the difference?

Third, as far as electrical equipment, they also have a camera and soundman that follow them around duruing investigations. If they were going to have any interference, it would be from them. A simple helmet cam should NOT produce enough of a charge to interfere in anything at all, or they would not have used them in prior investigations.

Fourth, Again, even the helmet cams they had for doing the Waverly Death tunnel would be sufficent. But I don't think they are as cost prohibitive as you may think.

Fifth, No there is no guarantee their eyes would be in line with the helmet cam, but IF they had it on they could turn their head real quick in that direction possibly catching something. Far better than hearing them say..."did you see that"?(Well if you are the audience...NO ....why? Because they didn't have anything pointed in that dierection for you to see it with!)

Sixth, I don't think that adding a helmet cam to the crew would result in that much more hours of watching than they already have. And I don't think they would have to hire anyone, as they usually have plently of help and probably would have people voluntering if they needed help.

In my view it seems to make sense to ADD a helmet cam to the crews, because asking the audience to take their word that they saw something is a bit aof a stretch.

After all, Jason and Grant SET the standard for wanting to be as transparent as possible. So helmet cams would help validate what they see.

Why go through the trouble? Well why have a TV Show at all if peoople are wondering if you are being real? It goes both ways.

When you have a TV SHOW supposedly devoted to getting at the truth, I would think the helmet cams would be a small price to pay.

Edited on 04/29/2009 5:43am
    Edited 11 total times.

BTRAV

[14]Apr 30, 2009
    And apparently they did. "Garden State Asylum" for the win. Now will this piece of equipment make a return?
    Edited on 04/30/2009 1:14pm

psspss2

[15]May 6, 2009
    • level: 1
    helmet cams arent new.. if not seen nz ghost hunters thats all they used and they hired some kid show presenters to be the lab rats with them walking around in the dark by themselves.. although not proefessionals they did infact capture alot more credible stuff then taps (before they got thermal camera and full spectrum) and this show was made in 2005 using old technology.. wasnt too bulky back then either and the gear sat in a back pack with batteries and they investigate all night too.. til daen.. 10pm to 4am seems if by yourself can find more stuff then in a pair or group and no camera man to add to the noise and cant say maybe was camera shadow or others producing the noise if alone with wifi /radio cameras if not seen show.. google it.. its available on p2p.. de mo noid hint hint some amazing photos of ghosts they caught and best evp ive heard on a old reel to reel and they did a psych hosp.. and shows a dentist chair making sounds like its working when its broken and middle of room not plumbed up
    Edited on 05/08/2009 7:53am

BTRAV

[16]May 7, 2009
    I meant new to the show.

psspss2

[17]May 7, 2009

yes I know they had a new helmet cam in last episode way silly looking and bulky.. nothing like ghost hunt nz team had.. bike helmets with light weight night camera(im saying the idea is not new and is a great idea to rid did you see that.. if humans can see with eyes a camera should too) taps did play with the idea they said.. but have you watched ghost hunt new zealand yet? their helmets had a small camera on looking forward and one in face so no camera man was needed and could see what they see as well. I think its all lit with infrared so camera captured them ok too but didnt flood them or light up the rooms investigating.. again I suggest you google and find the show and watch to see what i mean.. im sure you love it even though its 5 years old now prob around time TAPS first aired on usa tv

they did the dunedin castle taps did when they visited new zealand (NZ), but they caught the best shadow person photo ive seen.. clearly can see a man standing in hall with top hat (cos of the light other end of hall from moon or was it a bulb not sure.. lit him just right to see something black in a dark room)

Edited on 05/07/2009 7:31pm
    Edited 3 total times.

BTRAV

[18]May 8, 2009
    I have never heard of the New Zealand show/team.

psspss2

[19]May 8, 2009

then download the 10 episodes made and watch them on the pc.. can search demoniod .com as already meantioned above. you will need a p2p program to get them though

ghost team not show team too

best episodes I loved are in this order (which to watch first) its old show no more made sadly

Ep1 - Shadow creature caught on photo

Ep2 - dentist chair working by itself

Ep5 - ghost creature on film and door moving

Ep7- old gold town. one of the best photos of ghost lady (can see large photo of a still on bloggingcrazy (google it) worth a look can see her face forming

and color of dress forming

Ep8 - ghost caught moving past window and shadow creature hiding in tomb stones

Ep9 - a orb controlling a lift and moving down a hallway

Ep10 - best evp ive heard for a while.. very clear (not digital recorders used)

good luck

Edited on 05/09/2009 8:45pm
    Edited 3 total times.

KMTaber

[20]May 12, 2009
    psspss2 wrote:

yes I know they had a new helmet cam in last episode way silly looking and bulky.. nothing like ghost hunt nz team had.. bike helmets with light weight night camera(im saying the idea is not new and is a great idea to rid did you see that.. if humans can see with eyes a camera should too) taps did play with the idea they said.. but have you watched ghost hunt new zealand yet? their helmets had a small camera on looking forward and one in face so no camera man was needed and could see what they see as well. I think its all lit with infrared so camera captured them ok too but didnt flood them or light up the rooms investigating.. again I suggest you google and find the show and watch to see what i mean.. im sure you love it even though its 5 years old now prob around time TAPS first aired on usa tv

they did the dunedin castle taps did when they visited new zealand (NZ), but they caught the best shadow person photo ive seen.. clearly can see a man standing in hall with top hat (cos of the light other end of hall from moon or was it a bulb not sure.. lit him just right to see something black in a dark room)

Wow, the get a helmet cam and people still complain. They probably didn't go out to buy the most expensive one out there in order to just try it out to see if it is something they want to put more money into. The thermal imaging camera they have now, is nothing like the one they used the first time when they were seeing if it would be a useful tool.

And what a human can see with their eyes is not the same as what cameras can pick up. Try taking a picture without a flash after the sunset, but right before it gets dark (that period of time when you can see fine without needing a flashlight.). Everything will come out dark, unless you have a high end camera, extended shutter time, and the right settings. The cameras needed to be able to fill well in low light (well means not too grainey and with enough contrast to tell what you are looking at) are not cheap. I had to buy a camcorder for a study I was doing. I thought I would go ahead and get one that had infrared low light capabilities just incase I wanted to go out hunting, but it cost over twice the amount of the one I got. And I didn't not get a cheap one (HD digitcal recorder with a built in hard drive and I forget how much memory, but allows 18 hours of recording).

As for them buying an inn and not dishing out money for equipment they are not sure they want, banks give loans for buying property. (And from the way they wer talking, they probably got a good deal because of all the fix up work it needed, which they were able to do the plumbing and probably got to know other contractors, such as carpenters, to help out for the rest from working in the plumbing business.) Buying the inn is a long term financial decision, and a good one if they can survive the tight economic times. The other is just some neat bells and whistles for a TV show that will not last for ever. Remember, they do not charge for the investigations they do for people, so they do not have money coming in on investigations. They only get money for the show, which is not as much as you may think. You also have to remember that they are not working as plumbers while they are shooting the show, just when they are on break from the show.