We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Ghost Hunters Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on SyfyBetween Seasons

Sci-Fi is now SyFy?

BTRAV

[1]Jul 18, 2009
    • level: 27

Does anyone else besides me think the name change is stupid? The commercial, however, was pretty awesome with the visual effects. I wonder if Jay and Grant were serious when they said they took the kings as souvenirs.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Nevuela

[2]Aug 21, 2009
    • level: 1

I have no idea what you're talking about regarding a commercial (but if it involves TAPS I wanna see it!) but yeah, I think the name change is not only stupid, but it insults the intelligence of every single viewer. How? By spelling the network's name phonetically, they are implying that we are too stupid to know how "SciFi" is pronounced.

Plus, PEOPLE DON'T LIKE CHANGE!!! It has been proven time and time and time and time and time again that making changes to things that we are already familiar and comfortable with makes most people UNcomfortable and upset. Look at the countless businesses and other TV networks out there that have "modernized" their logos over the years. All they're really doing is spitting in the face of their own (once) proud history. At the very least, SciFi (I refuse to spell it the new way EVER) should allow their viewers, WHO MADE THEM WHAT THEY ARE TODAY, to vote on whether or not to change their name.

BTRAV

[3]Aug 21, 2009

There's a longer commercial with people from the different shows doing various things with visual effects. Shorter ones with just the shot of people from a certain show (like Ghost Hunters Jason and Grant) normally air when that show is on. Jay and Grant's short commercial have them playing 2-dimensional chess that looks 3-dimensional, then Jason opens a little door on the wall next to them that makes it look like visual-effects ghosts come in from across the room and fly out over the table as he and Grant stare at them. In a behind-the-scenes interview, they said they took the kings as souvenirs. It's on the website, which I'm pretty sure you can still get to by typing in scifi.com but it'll correct itself and change to syfy.com for you to enter the site.

P.S. Why hasn't the editor updated with new episodes?! I told a moderator about it and he couldn't care less!

EDIT: Thank you!

Edited on 08/31/2009 7:40am

blondwildboy

[4]Sep 4, 2009
    • level: 9
    I think it's really stupid. Seriously, SyFy? That doesn't even look right when I type it. I have no idea who thought that this was a good idea but they should be fired. I thought it looked stupid the first time I saw it and I still think it looks stupid. What a terrible idea.

Syllkin

[5]Sep 29, 2009
    • level: 5
    I'm not impressed either. Apparently they did it though to be more modern. How much more modern can you be than Sci-Fi though? Oh well, it's their money.

BTRAV

[6]Sep 30, 2009
    Sci-Fi stands for science fiction. It made sense. SyFy is just...ick.

KMTaber

[7]Oct 1, 2009
    • level: 11
    From what I have read about the name change, the network wanted to make the change for marketing reasons. Sci-fi is a genre, while SyFy is the station that shows everything from sci-fi to fantasy to paranormal. Don't know if I agree with the reasoning, but I am not a marketing person.

x4ever

[9]Nov 20, 2009
    • level: 2

Sci-Fi=AWESOMENESS

SyFy= FAIL