Ghost Hunters Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on SyfyBetween Seasons

Season 4

Historygrad2005

[1]Nov 12, 2007
    • level: 10

Any word on when Season 4 is starting as i checked the episode guide on here and it said that the q&a session with TAPS was the season finale for season 3. I also take it may start in January as they are doing a GH marathon the wednesday before Thanksgiving.

Edited on 11/12/2007 1:45pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

grailwolf

[2]Nov 15, 2007
    • level: 55

The only official announcement so far is that there will be a fourth season of 13 episodes starting in 2008. No premiere date has yet been set (or, at least, announced).

If the writers strike continues (and if some of the episodes have already been filmed) then we may see new eps sooner than we usually would. There are "writers" for the show, but reality and news writers aren't part of the same guild that is currently striking. Therefore, SciFi may need to put some reality content on the air to make up for the usual scripted shows that aren't being produced.

We'll have to wait and see, but I wouldn't be surprised if we hear something more specific by late December.

KMTaber

[3]Nov 15, 2007
    • level: 11
    grailwolf wrote:

The only official announcement so far is that there will be a fourth season of 13 episodes starting in 2008. No premiere date has yet been set (or, at least, announced).

If the writers strike continues (and if some of the episodes have already been filmed) then we may see new eps sooner than we usually would. There are "writers" for the show, but reality and news writers aren't part of the same guild that is currently striking. Therefore, SciFi may need to put some reality content on the air to make up for the usual scripted shows that aren't being produced.

We'll have to wait and see, but I wouldn't be surprised if we hear something more specific by late December.

Reality show writers are part of the guild and are being impacted by the strike. Any union writer for television or movie, other than news shows since I believe they fall under journalists, are on the picket line. Shows like "Dancing with the stars" have had to have their hosts and judges ad lib, which they were doing for the most part anyways. The written parts were mainly the commercial break hand-offs. However, shows like Ghost Hunter will be used to fill the schedule since the reliance on writers is so small. So, we may lose Mike Rowe's dulcet voice overs, but get to see the team.

grailwolf

[4]Nov 29, 2007

KMTaber wrote:
    Reality show writers are part of the guild and are being impacted by the strike. Any union writer for television or movie, other than news shows since I believe they fall under journalists, are on the picket line. Shows like "Dancing with the stars" have had to have their hosts and judges ad lib, which they were doing for the most part anyways. The written parts were mainly the commercial break hand-offs. However, shows like Ghost Hunter will be used to fill the schedule since the reliance on writers is so small. So, we may lose Mike Rowe's dulcet voice overs, but get to see the team.

Some reality show writers are guild members and some are not. Reality TV does not have to hire guild writers, and the current strike has not mentioned anything about it at all. In other words, guild members would not be sanctioned for working on these shows. The WGA tried to unionize reality writers in 2005, but the effort failed.

According to Variety:In a telling move earlier this month, the WGA forged extensive strike rules that did not include any mention of punishment for working on reality shows - even though the rules contained sanctions for work in other areas of limited guild coverage, such as new media and feature animation.

(Variety 10/23/07, "WGA gives up on nonscripted effort")

Also, news writers are not considered journalists, but they have their own guild, so the WGA strike doesn't affect them yet.

grailwolf

[5]Nov 29, 2007

KMTaber wrote:
    Shows like "Dancing with the stars" have had to have their hosts and judges ad lib, which they were doing for the most part anyways. The written parts were mainly the commercial break hand-offs.

I was a little curious about this, so I did some research. Actually, you're almost right. There was one WGA writer (David Boone) who they had hired to write some of the introductions and the descriptions of upcoming episodes. Other than that, they haven't used any scripted material during the show since the second season (according to Tom Bergeron) although Bergeron would sometimes bounce jokes off Boone during commercial breaks to see what he thought. You can see the Daily Herald article about it here .

KMTaber

[7]Dec 5, 2007
    • level: 11
    grailwolf wrote:

KMTaber wrote:

Some reality show writers are guild members and some are not. Reality TV does not have to hire guild writers, and the current strike has not mentioned anything about it at all. In other words, guild members would not be sanctioned for working on these shows. The WGA tried to unionize reality writers in 2005, but the effort failed.

According to Variety:In a telling move earlier this month, the WGA forged extensive strike rules that did not include any mention of punishment for working on reality shows - even though the rules contained sanctions for work in other areas of limited guild coverage, such as new media and feature animation.

(Variety 10/23/07, "WGA gives up on nonscripted effort")

Also, news writers are not considered journalists, but they have their own guild, so the WGA strike doesn't affect them yet.

I read an article about a week ago, that the news writers were considering a stike. I would have to look for the article again, but it appears they have been working without a contract for a while.

I am hoping the strike ends soon. The concepts I am hearing for the reality and game shows they will be putting on the air is kind of scaring me. Not quite sure if the fright is from the fact someone thought the show up, someone thought it would be a good idea to put on television, or that people think it would be fun to be on the shows.