We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Ghost Hunters Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on SyfyBetween Seasons

South Park's portrayal of TAPS

BTRAV

[1]Oct 9, 2009
    • level: 27
    In the episode with celebrity ghosts haunting Kyle's little brother Ike, they called in TAPS - which was supposed to be funny but in my opinion wasn't that funny. Jason and Grant were portrayed as idiots. Kris and Amy didn't look like themselves. Steve and Tango weren't there. I understand it's supposed to be a comedy show, but they could've done a better job. TAPS are professionals - if they were going to make paranormal investigators look stupid, shouldn't they have chosen a less professional team? No matter the creators' opinion of paranormal shows, they could've been better about it. They could've relied on Steve and Tango for humor - that stuff is practically gold.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KMTaber

[2]Oct 9, 2009
    • level: 11
    South Park always makes fun of things and people. For them to spend the time to develop a show based on TAPS is actually a bit of an honor. They felt like the show and people on the show are popular enough that people watching it will understand the references. I am sure when TAPS heard they were going to be the plot of a South Park episode, they knew they were going to get lampooned. The show does not shine a good light on anyone or anything.

BTRAV

[3]Oct 10, 2009
    • level: 27
    They're going to have to do better than bowel movements. The paranoia and running away screaming were good, but that wetting and crapping their pants bit was just tacky humor.

KMTaber

[4]Oct 12, 2009
    • level: 11
    I am taking it that you have not seen many South Park episodes. Tacky is tame for some of the things they do on that show. Going in ones pants is very mild.

mySOURskittles

[5]Oct 16, 2009
    • level: 8
    It may not have been that funny to some but the members of TAPS all saw it and were together watching it the night it aired and thought it was VERY hilarious. Many people wrote them concerned that they were offended but they hold their own that it was AMAZINGLY funny. I do admit that I was sad steve and tango were absent. I feel like it should of been jason, grant, steve and tango, but thats my own opinion. Also, it was GREAT publicity for them, since the show aired their ratings have gone through the roof. While I'm sure thats in part to the amazing new cases their doing. I have no doubt that south park also had a hand in that.

Seeker615

[6]Nov 10, 2009
    • level: 3

I wish saw the episode. It's good to know TAPS thought it was funny.

claudia40

[7]Nov 25, 2009
    • level: 9
    OMG I wish I would have seen it...I tend to avoid South Park but that sounds good.

pamhalpert

[8]Dec 10, 2009
    • level: 14
    BTRAV wrote:
    In the episode with celebrity ghosts haunting Kyle's little brother Ike, they called in TAPS - which was supposed to be funny but in my opinion wasn't that funny. Jason and Grant were portrayed as idiots. Kris and Amy didn't look like themselves. Steve and Tango weren't there. I understand it's supposed to be a comedy show, but they could've done a better job. TAPS are professionals - if they were going to make paranormal investigators look stupid, shouldn't they have chosen a less professional team? No matter the creators' opinion of paranormal shows, they could've been better about it. They could've relied on Steve and Tango for humor - that stuff is practically gold.

Do you remember the title of that South Park episode? I would love to see it.

SpootieHorse

[9]Apr 6, 2010
    • level: 9

Found it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmTKKqWL7Hc

I didn't really laugh or crack a smile either really to be honest XD I'm like "okie..whatever..next clip!"

pamhalpert

[10]Apr 9, 2010
    SpootieHorse wrote:

Found it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmTKKqWL7Hc

I didn't really laugh or crack a smile either really to be honest XD I'm like "okie..whatever..next clip!"

You're right. There was nothing funny about it. They portrayed Grant & Jason as investigators who are afraid of noises, and nothing could be further from the truth.

ginrog

[11]May 9, 2010
    • level: 4
    Are you people serious? Do you understand satire? They were making fun of the show so of course they would make them jump at noises and be scared of possible ghosts. It makes total sense. Would it be satire if they just had them go into the house hear some noises and then leave like what usually happens on the show?

pamhalpert

[12]Jul 18, 2010
    ginrog wrote:
    Are you people serious? Do you understand satire? They were making fun of the show so of course they would make them jump at noises and be scared of possible ghosts. It makes total sense. Would it be satire if they just had them go into the house hear some noises and then leave like what usually happens on the show?

I've probably been watching South Park since you were old enough to know which end of the playpen smells the worst. They usually make fun of a show for a reason. the reason they made fun of Taps didn't make since.

Southparkfa

[13]Aug 7, 2010
    • level: 18

I've seen every South Park (including this one for discussion) and I have to say they did have a reason. M&T probablly felt that the gang seemed stupid to look for ghosts, and that is the reason they're protrayed as idiots in the episode, I believe.

startug

[14]Sep 20, 2010
    • level: 23
    Now, let's see what happens if they make fun of Ghost Adventures!

pamhalpert

[15]Sep 20, 2010
    startug wrote:
    Now, let's see what happens if they make fun of Ghost Adventures!

I think Zack would choke them

startug

[16]Oct 9, 2010
    He wouldn't, it wouldn't be as bad as when Cowboy Bob Bess threw their EMF detector and FAKED all his "evidence".

PaulRosenberg

[17]Dec 2, 2010
    • level: 1

people from south park wouldnt know a sprit if it bit them on the ass. what they did to taps is wrong. would tell you how dump south park is but just watch there show and you will see for self

startug

[18]Dec 4, 2010
    Nah, their betrayal was just a parody. I laughed my ass off.

pamhalpert

[19]Apr 13, 2011
    PaulRosenberg wrote:

people from south park wouldnt know a sprit if it bit them on the ass. what they did to taps is wrong. would tell you how dump south park is but just watch there show and you will see for self

I thibk most celebrities hope to be a spoof on South Park. It's become sort of a badge of honor.

Gatorsrule6

[20]Apr 15, 2011
    • level: 20

pamhalpert wrote:
    ginrog wrote:
    I've probably been watching South Park since you were old enough to know which end of the playpen smells the worst. They usually make fun of a show for a reason. the reason they made fun of Taps didn't make since.

If you're going to talk about a show not making SENSE then spell the word SENSE correctly.

PaulRosenberg wrote:

Ironically you are calling them DUMB and can't even spell the word.

Not to lampoon any of you, but I love both shows. Most of you are taking it too seriously, some I doubt have seen many South Park episodes. While it's true that TAPS doesn't get scared from little noises nor do they pee themselves, it's just a joke. The people here who are getting offended by it...why? Who cares? Why do you care what other people say or think? Don't say you don't care because if you didn't you wouldn't be making defensive posts on here.

If TAPS wasn't offended by it then you definitely shouldn't be. Even if they were, you still shouldn't be because it doesn't really matter.

Edited on 04/15/2011 5:49pm