TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Ghost Hunters Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on SyfyBetween Seasons

Taps Getting Sort Of Shady

pamhalpert

[1]Oct 9, 2008
    • level: 14

I watched the Oak Alley Plantation Ep last night, and I noticed some things that have bothered me lately. Has anyone noticed that Jason and Grant walk around Aimlessly with the $10,000 Thermal Camera and usually don't get anything?, but when the flashlight turned on by itself in the bedroom...Nobody got a shot of it. Not the mounted camera, or the camera man. And when the light shut off; the camera man almost seemed to purposely shoot just out of sight of the flashlight.

Think about it. If there was possibly a ghost standing there manipulating a flashlight; then WHERE was the thermal cam (that NEVER leaves Jay and Grant's possesion) that could have possibly proved a haunting??. Why did the camera man film just out of view of the flashlight that "Alledgedly" turned on and off by itself??

The same thing happened a couple weeks ago in a house. I don't remember the name of the episode. but Jay and Grant had the thermal cam the entire time, EXCEPT when they climbed up a ladder and had their heads in the attic and coincidentally saw a ghost.

I love this show. I have been a fan since episode #1. It just seems to me like this show is turning into "Most Haunted". I would appreciate your opinions, Thank you.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

BTRAV

[2]Oct 10, 2008
    • level: 27
    I've wondered why they haven't had it with them when it turns out they needed it the most (I was just excited to see Barry in that episode). As for the attic, since they only stuck their heads up there before sending Dave up by himself, maybe they didn't have room to bring it up with them. Most of the time the camera guys have their cameras trained on the investigators, not what they are seeing (except for that door you could clearly see closing behind Kris Williams that one time). As for why they don't have the thermal in use all the time, I don't know. Were they charging the batteries on them at that time? I don't know. Best way to find out is to ask them themselves.

KMTaber

[3]Oct 10, 2008
    • level: 11

Since the show is edited together, how do you know they did not have the show cameras on the flashlight before they focused on Grant and right before the flashlight turned on?

As for the thermal, they usually go through the place early on in the investigation with the thermal and then go on to other investigation techniques. In the case of the attic, it was hard enough for Grant to peek up there, let alone try to get equipment up there. I do feel sorry for the show camera and sound crew who had to set up the equipment in the attic for Tango's visit up there.

I don't really see anything shady going on with the show. Although I was concerned when Barry showed up on the last one.

Ijin-Kimu

[4]Oct 13, 2008
    • level: 4
    Chances are, its bad luck. In the attic, getting into it, was a pretty small, and I dobut Grant could keep himself up while holding a camera in his hand, and he was just looking up to see if he saw anything, and be lucky we got any EVPs...there were EVPs in there right? X_X Evil memory.
    Personally, I don't see why Barry was with them. Though more or less, I would of prefered to see Dustin.

BTRAV

[5]Oct 14, 2008
    Though I have to wonder what the International team was doing at the time.

KMTaber

[6]Oct 14, 2008
    Probaly spending time with their friends and family after being gone for a while filming overseas.

Temporaryscars

[7]Oct 17, 2008

I fully agree that TAPS is getting shady. Why didn't grant stick a camera up in the attic when he saw that thing? They had a handheld with them, he could have just stuck it up. If it were me, I would have made getting it on camera my number one priority. Also, at the Seven Sisters Inn, they were really reaching with that K2 meter. It was just randomly going off and they were like "OMG IT'S WORKING!"

Oh yeah, and TAPS, one more thing, WE GET IT. Steve and Tango are a couple of WILD AND CRAAAAAAZY GUYS! Stop with the theatrics.

I used to love watching GHs, now it's just a joke.

Ijin-Kimu

[8]Oct 19, 2008
    Grant didn't stick a camera up cause he was just looking around to see what was up there. Also, if Grant was holding the camera up and that thing attacked him, Grant could of gotten hurt. With the K2, who really cares about the K2? I personally like the EMF detectors better then it. -_-'

And Steve and Tango were just having fun, on an investagation, like they CAN do. Do you really want them to be like Paranormal State and just be serious all the time with no fun? Honestly, and they do it for fun, not cause it is planned out.

Though, in the Tracy House case, when Jay and Grant were in the kitchen, when the cabnets were opening and closing, a truck DID go by the house, maybe causing it to open a bit and close. o_O I'm surprised that they didn't think of it cause that is the first thing I thought of was, and normally I don't think of it unless they say it like 4 minutes later.

Temporaryscars

[9]Oct 19, 2008
    That's bull. Do you really think that if a GH saw a ghost moving around and getting ready to come at him, that he wouldn't want to get a camera up there ASAP to get it on film? And how could Grant get hurt? In episode after episode they've said that ghosts can't hurt you. Pretty lame excuses you're throwing out there.

And who really cares about the K2? Well, Jay and Grant obviously. They act like it's what determines if a place is haunted or not. I've got no problem with them having fun, but you can tell it's forced. I can just pictures a producer off screen going "Hey you two! Goof around some more! The people really love that!" And you know, they stress the importance of being professional, yet it's ok for them to goof off? It's pretty obvious that the goofing is something that's planned out ahead of time.

Face it, TAPS is more concerned with making a TV show and making money than they are with ghost hunting.

Ijin-Kimu

[10]Oct 19, 2008

Hell, it might not even be TAPS who wants to do it. It might be Sci-fi making them do it.

And a ghost can hurt you depending on the type of haunt. Demonic and intellagent can do what they want, inculding hurt you, which is what most demonics do. The only type that can't is...o_O Well, I can't really spell it, but its something as if it is a memory playing over and over. And in the Tracy House case, with the kid getting scratches, and with nothing sharp in the bed (or maybe the producers said to Steve and Tango to lie to us telling us that there was nothing in the bed to get him hurt with it so they add to the effect.) and the kid get hurt. In the mental place that held Charles Manson, didn't a lady get her hair pulled or was attacked or something?

Goofing off is planned? Maybe, maybe not. We don't know. And if TAPS is concerned with making a TV show and money than ghost hunting, chances are it's Sci-Fi's fault for brainwashing them with the want for money! Or something eles stuipd, like what made Brain an ass o_O

Edited on 10/19/2008 2:56pm

Temporaryscars

[11]Oct 19, 2008
    That's a pretty weak excuse. Jason and Grant are in control of their own lives. When SciFi or whoever started pulling the fake stuff, they should have walked away from the show.

BTRAV

[12]Oct 20, 2008
    I too wondered why no one seemed to notice the truck. And Paranormal State guys do have fun from time to time...even at a team member's expense (usually Serge). And Jay says that they goof around all the time on their own but most of it doesn't show up in the episodes at the expense of important case footage. I don't think it's deliberately faked either. I mean, when clients do it, Jay and Grant get pissed. If Sci-Fi was up to something, they'd still have their day jobs.

Ijin-Kimu

[13]Oct 21, 2008
    Temporaryscars wrote:
    That's a pretty weak excuse. Jason and Grant are in control of their own lives. When SciFi or whoever started pulling the fake stuff, they should have walked away from the show.

Che, it was an idea. I wasn't making an excuse for anything.

MutantSasquatch

[14]Oct 22, 2008
    • level: 2
    There is a decent amount of luck needed to capture some of these sightings.

KMTaber

[15]Oct 22, 2008
    Temporaryscars wrote:
    That's bull. Do you really think that if a GH saw a ghost moving around and getting ready to come at him, that he wouldn't want to get a camera up there ASAP to get it on film? And how could Grant get hurt? In episode after episode they've said that ghosts can't hurt you. Pretty lame excuses you're throwing out there.

And who really cares about the K2? Well, Jay and Grant obviously. They act like it's what determines if a place is haunted or not. I've got no problem with them having fun, but you can tell it's forced. I can just pictures a producer off screen going "Hey you two! Goof around some more! The people really love that!" And you know, they stress the importance of being professional, yet it's ok for them to goof off? It's pretty obvious that the goofing is something that's planned out ahead of time.

Face it, TAPS is more concerned with making a TV show and making money than they are with ghost hunting.

I would have to watch the episode again, but I didn't think Jay or Grant had a small dvr with them. There would be no way Grant would have been able to get a production size camera up there with him quickly.

Temporaryscars

[16]Oct 22, 2008
    I'm pretty sure they had a DVR, but I'm 100% certain they had a thermal cam. It's hard to say if they'd pick anything up with it, but if I were a ghost hunter, you can bet your ass I'd want ANY kind of camera when you can actually see a ghost. Not just stand there shouting "AHHH! IT'S COMING AT ME! WOAHHHH!"

BTRAV

[17]Oct 23, 2008
    They do get spooked sometimes though, like when they were down in a tunnel and Grant saw a face and jumped.

KMTaber

[18]Oct 23, 2008

Here is a section of the synopsis of the episode from haunted san diego blog site.

"Grant climbed up a ladder coming down from a small hole in the ceiling. He looked up and saw the rafters and top part of the former church, including some stained glass windows. Grant looked around the attic with the thermal camera and didn't find anything. As he started back down the ladder he heard more footsteps. "When you go into places like an attic or places where people don't normally go, that may be where the entity is hiding out and you'll "scare something down" into the main building and get some more activity."

"It's creepy as hell," Grant said of the attic. Then he said he saw something blocking the light in front of the stained glass window. Then he saw something moving toward him. "What the hell is that?" Jason said, hearing noises from above. "I don't know," Grant said. Then his voice changed. "Shoot, it's coming fast," he said, and dropped down the ladder as quickly as he could. He told Jason he heard an older man's voice whispering. "It seems like we agitated something in there," he said."

So, they had a thermal, which Grant used up there. After he stopped using it, the sounds started and he saw the shadow moving.

grailwolf

[19]Oct 24, 2008
    • level: 55
    I have to point out some things.
    1) Every investigation takes place over at least one night, usually two. What we see is heavily edited into a sort of "Best Of". If every camera they had was pointing right at an area of activity, but the thermal caught nothing, the mini DV cams caught nothing, the IR caught nothing, and the production crew's camera catches only a hint of movement or a light going on and off, they'll go with the shot that caught some little activity. If they have footage of Jay & Grant pointing the thermal at it and saying "not getting anything on the thermal" they may very well throw that away. The moral being: just because we don't see them trying to get a shot doesn't mean that they didn't try to get one.

2) No member of the team walks around with any device turned on all the time. They generally do sweeps of an area with each device that they think has a chance of getting results and then move on to another device or technique. If something visual starts happening while they are setting up for EVP, they won't get that shot. If a ghost appears and starts waving its arms and jumping up and down, but they are sitting down with no equipment just trying to get the feel of the room, then they won't have that video.

3) When Grant saw the shape moving toward him, he was about to descend a ladder. Don't you think it's possible that he handed the $10000 thermal camera to someone else while he was climbing? I know I would.

4) Training and experience aside, if something is moving toward you, the initial instinct is to get out of the way. This is even stronger when you are in a vulnerable position (such as climbing down a ladder). In the seconds between "huh, I wonder what that is?" and "whoah! it's moving toward me fast!" I doubt he had time to make a conscious decision to ask for a camera. Instead he let instinct tell him to move down the ladder quickly. I find it hard to fault him for that.

5) The tools they focus on (the K2, for instance, or the thermal in some episodes) are the ones that get hits. If we see scenes of them using the K2 a lot, that's because they get a lot of hits with it. If they were catching EVPs everywhere, then we'd focus on that. 6) TAPS does not get paid for making the show. Jay and Grant now get producer credits and probably a small salary to make up for being away from work so much, but none of them are getting rich. All that SciFi does for them is to make it easier to investigate cool places by covering some travel expenses, and give them some more cameras and sound equipment rolling and some more potential witnesses to any activity. The increased fame has certainly increased their donations, people buying TAPS merchandise, etc., but as an organization they don't get paid directly by SciFi.

If you're disappointed in Grant for not getting a camera ready in time, that's one thing. But I think calling the show "shady" is going too far. IMO, they have amazing luck in catching as much as they do.

Ijin-Kimu

[20]Oct 25, 2008
    grailwolf wrote:
    I have to point out some things.
    1) Every investigation takes place over at least one night, usually two. What we see is heavily edited into a sort of "Best Of". If every camera they had was pointing right at an area of activity, but the thermal caught nothing, the mini DV cams caught nothing, the IR caught nothing, and the production crew's camera catches only a hint of movement or a light going on and off, they'll go with the shot that caught some little activity. If they have footage of Jay & Grant pointing the thermal at it and saying "not getting anything on the thermal" they may very well throw that away. The moral being: just because we don't see them trying to get a shot doesn't mean that they didn't try to get one.

2) No member of the team walks around with any device turned on all the time. They generally do sweeps of an area with each device that they think has a chance of getting results and then move on to another device or technique. If something visual starts happening while they are setting up for EVP, they won't get that shot. If a ghost appears and starts waving its arms and jumping up and down, but they are sitting down with no equipment just trying to get the feel of the room, then they won't have that video.

3) When Grant saw the shape moving toward him, he was about to descend a ladder. Don't you think it's possible that he handed the $10000 thermal camera to someone else while he was climbing? I know I would.

4) Training and experience aside, if something is moving toward you, the initial instinct is to get out of the way. This is even stronger when you are in a vulnerable position (such as climbing down a ladder). In the seconds between "huh, I wonder what that is?" and "whoah! it's moving toward me fast!" I doubt he had time to make a conscious decision to ask for a camera. Instead he let instinct tell him to move down the ladder quickly. I find it hard to fault him for that.

5) The tools they focus on (the K2, for instance, or the thermal in some episodes) are the ones that get hits. If we see scenes of them using the K2 a lot, that's because they get a lot of hits with it. If they were catching EVPs everywhere, then we'd focus on that. 6) TAPS does not get paid for making the show. Jay and Grant now get producer credits and probably a small salary to make up for being away from work so much, but none of them are getting rich. All that SciFi does for them is to make it easier to investigate cool places by covering some travel expenses, and give them some more cameras and sound equipment rolling and some more potential witnesses to any activity. The increased fame has certainly increased their donations, people buying TAPS merchandise, etc., but as an organization they don't get paid directly by SciFi.

If you're disappointed in Grant for not getting a camera ready in time, that's one thing. But I think calling the show "shady" is going too far. IMO, they have amazing luck in catching as much as they do.

Also to note out: Jay and Grant don't always have the thermal, in eariler season, I'm pretty sure Steve was handling it WITHOUT Jay or Gratn with him. And in the Q&A, when someone asked why do we only see Jay and Grant together. And...uhm...Jason I think anserwed something about 'Sci-fi editing' and 'why wouldn't we want to see these two sexy guys together'. o_O Yeah, so just cause they show Jay and Grant with the only ones handling thermal, that doesn't mean that only he and Jay use it. And I agree with you on point number 4, when getting out of someone's way when they come towards you. And to point number 6, I know that they didn't get paid by clients...I just wasn't sure if Sci-fi paied them or not, but I am rather happy that they don't, yet they only cover the flying price. Sadly, the people who drive the trucks -coughstevecough- waste so much money on gas. And I may or may not have helped with them giving money through buying something >_>