Ghost Hunters

So She Married An Axe Murderer

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Sep 10, 2008 on Syfy

• Putting their mouths where the money is

If there were any doubts about TAPS' love for the K-II Meter, this episode should have erased them. It's not a question of whether or not they understand the flaws of the device; they've bought into what Chris Fleming was selling hook, line, and sinker. They used its "results" as part of the presentation to the client. The only question is how to proceed moving forward, and what the footage from tonight's episode might mean.

The footage, as shown, is compelling. I couldn't fault anyone who saw that footage, and had little understanding of the device , if they came to the conclusion that it was a modern Ouija board that actually works. If nothing else, TAPS presented an interesting case. They changed up their questioning, repeated questions, asked questions that required an intelligent response, and so on. It's hard not to sit back and wonder exactly what was happening.

Unfortunately, as I've said before, this is heavily edited footage, so this is not proof positive by any means. It would be a very different story if it had happened with me in the room, and I could debunk to my heart's content. For all that I love the show, despite my many frustrations, I'll never buy it as proof, because I never take any "evidence" at face value. But that's especially true when I hold the opinion that people involved in the process are suspect.

I can't help but wonder if someone on the production crew, perhaps the sound or camera personnel, chose to make an investigation a bit more interesting. As others have noted regarding previous episodes, it would be very easy for production personnel to set off the K-II Meter during wireless communication. And if it can happen by accident, it's possible for Pilgrim to wonder if it couldn't be done on purpose. (And it goes without saying that the naysayers could easily claim TAPS is responsible.)

On the other hand, I might simply be wrong. My natural skepticism may be overwhelming my sense of fair play (as some have suggested). Maybe there is something to the "communication" taking place. If so, I can only say that there are experiments that could be conducted to shed light on what's happening. For one, it would be instructive to know the frequency of the EM field setting off the meter. Then, a device could be purchased or designed to exclude frequencies outside of a suitable range. Use of such a device would eliminate most of the problems of false positives and would provide something more than flashing lights as evidence of unexplained phenomena.

Because there's no doubt about it now; they're convinced. I'm not.

Case #1: Slater Mill, RI

Aside from the K-II Meter "evidence", the highlights were the unusual EVPs. I think some of them could have been explained by ambient noise, and some members suggested, but others were (as was the case the previous week) well above the background noise. I agree that something is there, something warranting further investigation, but after the K-II experiences, it's clear that they were convinced that the two were connected. Their "haunted" conclusion was hardly a surprise.

Case #2: Pettibone Tavern, CT

I can only assume that this investigation was included to balance out the more "active" one that came before it, because there was precious little to see. Most of the time was spent on the team's antics and the research that was conducted. I'm not saying that I mind either of those elements, but it's an odd pattern that they've falling into of late. I suppose this is the result of airing almost everything they film now; they used to be a lot more selective when the seasons were filmed well in advance.