Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2007)

'dividual' vs 'individual'

skaizun

[1]Jun 14, 2009
    • level: 20
    I thought that the "individual" episodes (at the top right of the english title of some episodes) meant that the episode stood on its own (having nothing to do with "Stand Alone Complex"), and the "dividual" episodes (appearing in the same place in other episodes) meant that it was part of a series of episodes, perhaps even named after a bad translation (i.e., someone thought that the "in" in "individual" meant "not"). Yet, some "dividual" episodes seem to stand on their own. Does anyone know what the difference is as far as the series is concerned?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Chiroptera_Rex

[2]Jul 3, 2009
    • level: 50
    On the front page of the guide, click "more" under "Show Summary" and look at the explanation for the episode nomenclatures at the bottom of the summary. Individual episodes refer to the Individual 11, what 2nd Gig is based around.

skaizun

[3]Jul 5, 2009
    • level: 20

:
    For Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - 2nd GIG the IN/DI/DU nomenclature denotes IN as 'INdividual' episodes, DI as 'DIvidual' episodes, and DU as 'DUal' episodes. While one may think that IN refer to the Stand Alone episodes of the second season, they actually are the Complex episodes of 2nd Gig. DI episodes are the Stand Alone episodes. Finally, DU episodes cover cases pertaining to the Japanese Government

The above is from the place you mentioned, below,
    and I thank you for pointing it out,
    but I think I need a translation for the translation!

Chiroptera_Rex

[4]Jul 6, 2009
    • level: 50
    Sure! In 2nd Gig, the episodes are divided into three main categories: INdividual, DIvidual, and DUal episodes. INdividual episodes are the main storyline, or "Complex", episodes of the second season because they focus on the Individual 11. DIvidual episodes, which stands for episodes "divided" from the storyline, focus on separate incidents that may have a bit of connection to the Individual 11 arc, but can stand on their own. They are the "Stand Alone" episodes of the second season. The final kind of episodes are DUal episodes, and there are only four of them. All DUal episodes, from "NATURAL ENEMY" to "ABANDONED CITY", each look a bit more in depth at the Cabinet Intelligence Service in general and Kazunoto Gouda in particular.

Hope that makes sense.