Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2007)

GitS 2 Innocence

MazzyGirl

[1]Dec 8, 2007
    • level: 5

Does anyone know where to find the Innocence American Dubbed DVD? I've googled over and over and I've tried Amazon.com, but can't find it anywhere. I've seen the Japanese origonal, but would rather want the English Dubbed.

Any help would be appreciated!

Jillay

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Chiroptera_Rex

[2]Dec 8, 2007
    • level: 50
    A North American release of the dubbed version of Innocence doesn't exist. When the movie was first up for licensing, Manga Entertainment, which owns the rights to the 1995 movie Ghost in the Shell, was already financing GitS:SAC's two seasons. Whether they were stretched too thin to license the North American release at the time, I'm not entirely sure. What did happen, though, is Dreamworks SKG, under their label Go Fish Pictures, licensed the 2004 sequel. However, when they did their limited theatrical release along with the subsequent DVD release, they did not hire a studio to dub it. Currently, Dreamworks SKG is owned by Paramount Pictures and there has been talk of selling some of the Dreamworks catalog as well as Spielberg, Katzenberger, and Geffen taking the movies under Dreamworks out of Paramount again. Sad to say, there may never be a release of Innocence for the R1 DVD market.

If you want to watch Innocence with an English dub, purchase yourself a region free, PAL compatible DVD player and then buy the R2 DVD from Amazon UK. Manga Entertainment UK did license the movie for European release and added a dub with the GitS:SAC cast. It took me a while to save up for the DVD player and the more expensive DVD (the British Pound is more than twice as strong as the American Dollar), but it was well worth it to watch the movie with a dub.

MazzyGirl

[3]Dec 12, 2007

Thank You SO much!!!!

I watched an anime pannel interveiw and someone asked about the Innocence dub, and he said there was one. That's why I asked if anybody knew where to get one. And the DVD information too, I did not realize that.

Your information was SO helpful!

Thanks a bunch!!!!!!

Jillay

MazzyGirl

[4]Dec 12, 2007
    Quick question, Why would the 'region' format matter? My computer DVD player (i'm sure) is a region 1 and I use CyberLink Power DVD vr. 7. I'm hoping to get screencaps, thats why I ask.
    Edited on 12/12/2007 6:30pm

Chiroptera_Rex

[5]Dec 14, 2007
    DVDs are manufactured as world-region specific. Region 1 (North America) DVD players, will not play Region 2 DVDs, which are specific to Europe and Japan. Only a DVD player that is R2 or R0 (Region Free) will play the Innocence DVD since the movie with the dub is distributed in Europe. Also, the DVD player needs to be PAL compatible because Europe runs off PAL format and North America runs off NTSC. Basically, there are more lines of colour being used in PAL format than NTSC so the picture will be off when playing a PAL disc in an NTSC DVD player.

MazzyGirl

[6]Dec 15, 2007
    Thank you SO much. You have helped me a TON!

BigEOT3

[7]Apr 19, 2008
    • level: 11

http://www.bandai-ent.com/i/

A better treatment than the Dreamworks version. And it will be dubbed by the same people in LA. And it's coming to both DVD and, for the first time ever, Blu-Ray.

Chiroptera_Rex

[8]Apr 19, 2008
    Incredible news. Thanks, BigEOT3! Looks like I'll be purchasing a Blu-Ray player sooner than I expected.

BigEOT3

[9]Apr 19, 2008
    • level: 11

Chiroptera_Rex wrote:
    Incredible news. Thanks, BigEOT3! Looks like I'll be purchasing a Blu-Ray player sooner than I expected.

You're welcome. I'm trying to give anime fans the news they want.

Ghost-inZeShell

[10]Mar 9, 2009
    I'm a BIG Ghost in the Shell fan, Ghost in the Shell 2 Innocence is the only one I didn't much care for