Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2007)

Major Kusanagi

Supershandy453

[1]Jul 9, 2006
    • level: 2

Ok, I only recently bought Ghost In the Shell (The first movie) and was quite surprised to find that the Major was naked in most scenes, especially when she took on the Mecha Tank, Chased after the thug they thought was the puppet master and when she killed the American Diplomat. 

Now ths may sound a little perverted but its not meant to be, My question is how come the GITS: SAC commitee decided to make her keep her clothes on when the age rating for the movie and the TV series were exactly the same!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

DarkCloudOvrhd

[2]Jul 9, 2006
    • level: 1

They're not the same age rating first of all.  The movie is 16+ while the TV series is 13+.  Also, in the movie she's not actually running around naked technically, it's just that the plastic layer she has over her skin that allows her to camoflauge is basically see-through.  With the series being on TV though, they couldn't well have the characters appear as though they were prancing around in the buff every time they go out on a mission, not if they wanted the show to be able to really be taken seriously, so they just got rid of the plastic (probably not really made of plastic but I'm just gonna keep calling it that) suit thing as a requirement for them to be able to cloak themselves.

Supershandy453

[3]Jul 9, 2006
    • level: 2
    Ah, i thought the age rating was the same!

I only questioned it after i watched the film, but I guess they may have got rid of the plastic thermo-optic camoflage suit in the TV seris since the Show was set after the events of the film, so in essence it's been upgraded probably to act from the cyberbrain, becoming invisible just by sheer thought.......................I think!

But yeah, thanxs for answering my question!

Chiroptera_Rex

[4]Jul 9, 2006
    • level: 50

The movie's nudity was all Director Mamoru Oshii's doing. There's a lot of nudity in the manga as well, but not with the thermoptic-camouflage. Shirou Masamune allowed Oshii-Kantoku to do that. Of course, it was bad enough that 1st GIG had Motoko in that very unprofessional clothing. She looked a lot better in 2nd GIG.

mangagirlrae

[5]Jul 23, 2007
    • level: 3
    the age rating for the stand alone complex varies between 12 and 15 and there is some nudity in the g.i.t.s.a.c. but she does wear clothes that show off alot of her, especially when she falls in the garbage, she wears a top and tiny panty things, but the movie she is wearing this camouflage isnt she?

Chiroptera_Rex

[6]Jul 29, 2007
    • level: 50
    The age rating for the series is higher. The rating shown on [AS] has been TV-M, which is the rating for ages 17 and up.

zzddll27

[7]Aug 8, 2007
    • level: 11
    I'm too much of a die-hard-core fan of Ghost in the Shell to ever wanna see the Major naked, unless the circumstances are perfect.

dfoboost

[8]Aug 17, 2007
    • level: 7
    Ya I watch it but it dosent really bother me so shes naked for a scene but then it just moves to another scene.

chubbst4r

[9]Feb 26, 2008
    • level: 4
    Supershandy453 wrote:
    since the Show was set after the events of the film, so in essence it's been upgraded probably

The series and the movie are utterly separate universes that dont interact whatsoever.

Ghost-inZeShell

[10]Mar 14, 2009
    • level: 5
    chubbst4r wrote:
    Supershandy453 wrote:
    since the Show was set after the events of the film, so in essence it's been upgraded probably

The series and the movie are utterly separate universes that dont interact whatsoever.

Correct.
    I too, am a die-hard Ghost in the Shell fan; reader of the books, knower of the episodes.
    I've even read the novels(the writen ones!!!--not just the manga).
    Anyhow, yes, I've noticed how Motoko dresses, I really don't mind how she dresses in either season, and while I did enjoy the movie (I've seen all three, but I really only liked the first one), I've got to say that I like how they did the therm-optic camo in the series better than the movie.
    -
    -
    And if you look "into" it, you'll find that the episode ratings vary,(some episodes got a MA-17+ rating, while most only got a 14+ rating).