Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2007)

Questions on GITS SAC

Shadez_slayerz

[1]Jun 30, 2009
    • level: 1

I have a lot of questions concerning the Laughing Man storyline. Please let me know if I've got this right:

The Superintendent-General and several other higher level officers in the Metropolitan Police force are involved in a conspiracy. For some reason they want to hide the identity of the true Laughing Man by pinning it on their decoy: Nanao=A. They want Section 9 to believe Nanao is the Laughing Man, explemplified when they insert a forced-recognition language program on Nanao's colleagues, which forces them to testify Nanao's high probability of being the Laughing Man.

Do I have that right? A few other questions:

1. Why did the police illicitly insert Interceptors on their officers?

2. What does Aramaki mean when he says the death threat on the Superintendent-General is a farce by the Metropolitan Police. Does that mean the Metropolitan Police told Nanao to commit the death threat?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Chiroptera_Rex

[2]Jul 3, 2009
    • level: 50
    Shadez_slayerz wrote:
    The Superintendent-General and several other higher level officers in the Metropolitan Police force are involved in a conspiracy. For some reason they want to hide the identity of the true Laughing Man by pinning it on their decoy: Nanao=A. They want Section 9 to believe Nanao is the Laughing Man, explemplified when they insert a forced-recognition language program on Nanao's colleagues, which forces them to testify Nanao's high probability of being the Laughing Man.

You're correct.

Shadez_slayerz wrote:
    Why did the police illicitly insert Interceptors on their officers?

Because Daidō and his underling Nibu wanted to make sure that their plan to pin the blame on Nanao would work and that their subordinates did not stray from their script. That's why Yamaguchi was killed. Once he began to believe that something was wrong, he went outside his chain of command by calling up his old friend Togusa. Once he did that, Daidō and Nibu silenced him by shutting down his vision through the interceptors and causing him to crash off the highway.

Shadez_slayerz wrote:
    What does Aramaki mean when he says the death threat on the Superintendent-General is a farce by the Metropolitan Police. Does that mean the Metropolitan Police told Nanao to commit the death threat?

Aramaki is only half right here. The death threat in "INTERCEPTORS" was perpetrated by Aoi. In "DECOY" when Nanao receives a call, he tells the caller that he was the one who made the death threat. However, when he hangs up he states that it wasn't him who did it. After the death threat, Daidō moved up Nanao's timetable to be taken in by the police as the "Laughing Man". He then had Nanao killed before he could be taken in so the Laughing Man Affair could be put to rest. He didn't count on the reaction created by the incident at the end of "INTERCEPTORS" sparking a phenomenon where Laughing Man copycats came out of the woodwork to make the truth of the Incident be heard.

Shadez_slayerz

[3]Jul 4, 2009

Holy crapola. Thanks so much for answering. I really thought I would be confused forever. You've cleared up a lot of things.

Chiroptera_Rex wrote:
    Aramaki is only half right here. The death threat in "INTERCEPTORS" was perpetrated by Aoi. In "DECOY" when Nanao receives a call, he tells the caller that he was the one who made the death threat. However, when he hangs up he states that it wasn't him who did it. After the death threat, Daidō moved up Nanao's timetable to be taken in by the police as the "Laughing Man". He then had Nanao killed before he could be taken in so the Laughing Man Affair could be put to rest. He didn't count on the reaction created by the incident at the end of "INTERCEPTORS" sparking a phenomenon where Laughing Man copycats came out of the woodwork to make the truth of the Incident be heard.
    So that whole debacle involving the modular delayed-action virus and Daido seemingly in danger was just acting on Daido's part?

Chiroptera_Rex

[4]Jul 4, 2009
    • level: 50
    Yep, he was only in danger when the copycats emerged. He only looked scared when he was actually in danger, which was just before he was shot by the security guard.

Shadez_slayerz

[5]Jul 7, 2009
    I see. Thanks again for the info.