Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2007)

Will there be a third season?

bosss707

[1]Feb 28, 2008
    • level: 1
    The way the first two seasons were written, it seems very unlikely that there will be a third because of how complex and great the first two were. I'm scared they will feel that if they can not come up with a story on par or better with the first two, that it is impossible to come out with a new season. What do you guys think??
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Boobie17

[2]Feb 29, 2008
    • level: 3
    idk but i hope so its kinda inteesting im in the second season now ima go back and look at the first 1's i missed but overall the show is awesome

MazzyGirl

[3]Mar 1, 2008
    • level: 5
    I really hope there is one too, but how can you top the first two seasons? What I really wish to to see a mini series or movie on how the Major and Aramaki started Section 9. The only person we see become recruited is Saito and nobody talks about how they were. Someone started a rumor about a 3rd season, but it's false because they used screencaps from 2nd Gig. The voice actors said in an interview that they want a 3rd season (saw it in the S.S.S movie).

VeraArya

[4]Mar 1, 2008
    • level: 8
    I hope there is a third season!! GITS rocks, i'll be sad if they don't.

bosss707

[5]Mar 2, 2008
    • level: 1
    I like the idea of having a season or movie with the plot on how the Major and Aramaki started Section 9. The episode with Saito is hands down my favorite out of all. I think that is due to my interest in snipers, but thats another subject. I've been trying to figure out how to get more info about a third season, but this is the only active forum for the show that I've found.

Chiroptera_Rex

[6]Mar 6, 2008
    • level: 50
    The only animation studio that will handle GitS or any other incarnations will be Production I.G. They have a lot on their plate right now. In addition to all the Japanese titles they are working on, they are also assisting Warner Bros. with animating, along with Madhouse and Studio 4°C, Batman: Gotham Knight. The picture in the ANN news blurb is animation done by Madhouse.

The Stand Alone Complex angle has probably been explored enough so Shirou Masamune would have to come up with a few more stories for Section 9 to handle. There are three books written by Junichi Fujisaku (writer of various GitS:SAC episodes) that deal with various stories of Section 9. All have been translated into English, and you can find the info on them by clicking on the link in the second post in the "Where can I get the entire series? (Collection List)" thread that is stickied in this forum.

If there is more to be done on GitS in the near future, I hope that Mamoru Oshii or Kenji Kamiyama will direct it. Kamiyama, the director of GitS:SAC, has just finished directing Seirei no Moribito,
    「精霊の守リ人」 in Japanese, which has been translated into English as Guardian of the Spirit. This series has been released on DVD in Japan up to episode 20, but it's licensed in Japan by Geneon and Geneon's North American anime unit has ceased to exist so someone else will have to license it. The animation looks pretty good, though. Take a look at it here. Anime News Network has it listed as Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit. It's also listed as Guardian of the Sacred Spirit in the the encyclopedia search. I'm not sure why they put the title as the former since Moribito can mean "Guardian" in Japanese so why say it twice twice? The first link for Production I.G lists the anime as Guardian of the Spirit.

For now, it appears that GitS will be on hiatus for a few more years. It'll be good to reexamine the series in the future so that the Japanese seiyū and English voice artists once again have a chance to lend their voices to the characters we know and love.

JoachimPeiper

[7]Jun 24, 2008

For what it's worth, I do hope that a 3rd season on GitS: SAC would come out. Have seen the first two seasons and enjoyed it tremendously. Though I havent obtained a copy of SSS, I believe it would be a perfect compliment to the series.

Just cant get enough of this series. It really is the best. I also agree with the folks who said that a little back story on the origins of section 9 be explored. That would make into a good mini series and would greatly help us understand the characters better. Like Togusa, being the youngest except for Azuma I presume, how was he prior to Section 9 days. Also why is it the Major and the Chief are the only ones with complete names? Are the rest like Pazu, Saito, Borma etc just their call names?

Chiroptera_Rex

[8]Jun 25, 2008
    With regard to names, that's how it is in the manga, too. Masamune just didn't give the characters full names. I would think that Togusa would have had a full name as well. His wife, who's never give a name in the series, never even called him anything besides "dear" in the series. Plus, she thinks that he works for a security company instead of Section 9. It may be that Togusa is actually his code name, as with the rest in Section 9, and his real name is never used. Motoko even said towards the end of 2nd GIG, when she was trapped with Kuze, that her name is not even real. It's probably like Faye Valentine in Cowboy Bebop who was named by her doctor because all records of who she was before the accident had disappeared. The same may be for Motoko if she came out of her coma suffering from amnesia. It could be that Aramaki has the only real name in Section 9.

JoachimPeiper

[9]Jun 25, 2008
    Now I get it. Thank you again.

To be honest with you I saw the first movie wayback '99 or 2000. Saw it in a local channel here in the Philippines. Was surprised when they showed re-runs of the movie in Animax and also announced the series. I tried to watch it religiously but never did completely was able to follow it. My interest in GitS surged again when I was able to get a DVD of the 1995 movie. Well for Innocence, it simply gave me a headache, damn subtitles! Embarrassing as it may be to admit but it is only now that I do get to completely understand the GitS universe! Thanks to these forums and kind folks like you! Anyway, I am still hoping for a third season!

SaphireMoon

[10]Jul 21, 2008
    • level: 33
    Chiroptera_Rex wrote:
    If there is more to be done on GitS in the near future, I hope that Mamoru Oshii or Kenji Kamiyama will direct it. Kamiyama, the director of GitS:SAC, has just finished directing Seirei no Moribito,
    「精霊の守リ人」 in Japanese, which has been translated into English as Guardian of the Spirit. This series has been released on DVD in Japan up to episode 20, but it's licensed in Japan by Geneon and Geneon's North American anime unit has ceased to exist so someone else will have to license it. The animation looks pretty good, though.

Well, until the likelyhood of seeing new GiT:SAC seasons, we will be able to see Moribito here on TV soon.

AdultSwim has confirmed that Moribito will debut on the station August 24, 2008. Although it isn't listed on the schedule yet, hopefully it will take the place vacated by DeathNote earlier this month.
    Edited on 07/21/2008 8:18pm
    Edited 3 total times.

Chiroptera_Rex

[11]Jul 22, 2008
    Sweet! Thanks for the info SaphireMoon! Another good title by Production I.G.

Ghost-inZeShell

[12]Mar 9, 2009
    • level: 5
    I hope so, I'd LOVE for there to be another season, seeing how many hard-core GitS fans they're are.
    I've already read the three writen novels (I'm not talking about the manga): GitS: Lost Memory, GitS:Revenge of the Cold Machines, and GitS: White Maze, and let me tell you, any one of these stories would fill-out a nice number of episodes.(or make some VERY good OVAs).
    Either way, I think people would watch/buy it, I know I would