Ghost Lab

Alcatraz

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Dec 08, 2009 on Discovery Channel

6.2
  • Possible the worst 40 minutes of a show I've ever seen in my entire life. Tried my best to like this show given that Ghost Hunters and Ghost Hunters International are winding down, but geez, this show is really annoying.

1.5
    So lets start with the show presenters, Brad and Barry.
    I've already reviewed the very first episode and at the time hoped things would change. But no.

Brad continues to hog the entire show by talking far too much and too loudly at you. You just turn off because his voice just goes through you. You can imagine him fitting in perfectly at a baseball event shouting at the players.

The rest of the team (again) hardly speak. I'm pretty sure the two brothers picked the most timid and quiet team members they could to make sure they got most of the air time.

Things that annoyed me about this episode (and general things that are in all episodes).

1). The brothers having pretend conversations about new things whilst two camera men are filming them (one pointed at Brad when he talks and the other at Barry when he nodes and makes a grunt).

2). The sound effects. We might actually hear something with the hunters if the sound studio didn't keep adding crashing noises and strings every time one of the team said "Did you hear that?".

3). Why is it that even though the team are being filmed by an camera crew, they still insist at pointing their own video cameras at their own faces? How do you get evidence if the camera is pointed at your own face. Surely, if they gave a crap about finding anything they'd be pointing it at where they are looking.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that doesn't really give a crap about seeing the person's face when they talk and would sooner be trying to join in with the hunt by trying to see what's on the screen that they are looking at.

4). Stop having interviews with people to gain facts about things that we already know. Most people watching Ghost shows already know "Why a ghost might linger". That's old hat.

5). Brad, if you take in a really cool audio recording device that tracks sound from a REALLY far away distance by filtering soundwaves into a dish, it's probably a really good idea not to shout really loud down hallways like you were doing. You see, your loud overpowering voice echoes and your voice is bouncing off the walls far infront of you and back into the recording devide you are holding.

That's why you never caught anything on it because all it was hearing was your reverberating echos throughout the prison walls.

I think that's it really.
    40 minute show.. of that, I think you get about 30 seconds of video footage from the cameras that they are holding that is footage not related to their own face.

I'm really dissapointed that no Ghost Hunting show has caught onto the fact that people want to feel like they are there, in the dark, in the silence, listening and watching.. and not being overwhelmed with loads of special effects, gadgets and stupid sounds trying to make the show fast and paced when it doesn't need to be.

I won't be watching any more of them as I honestly got so annoyed with it (and so did my partner) that we couldn't bear another.