Ghost Story

The Dead We Leave Behind

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Sep 15, 1972 on NBC

7.8
  • It's amazing what you can see on TV nowadays.

Jason Robards and Stella Stevens made sweet music together in the 1970 film "The Ballad Of Cable Hogue", so it must have seemed a good idea to re-team them for this episode of an anthology series. The central notion - that a TV set can be, as it were, haunted, endlessly replaying the images of real-life events that no-one was ever meant to see - is quite an effective one. Alas, it's done pretty predictably and drearily, and why so eminent an actor as Robards agreed to do it is a mystery - he did plenty of prestige plays on TV, but few guest shots in series. Stella Stevens, murdered early on, is wasted.
  • Creepy...

This is the first episode I ever saw of the series since I was only 3 years of age when this was originaly on I have no memories of seeing it until buying episodes off ebay. I enjoy this episode alot I like that it's so isolated in the country and that there are so few characters in it. Jason Robards is great and you actually feel for him in the end. I first saw this at age 35 and watched this at night with all the lights out the way I always watch all my horror TV shows or movies and it just creeped me out. I love that they show his wife and her lover digging there way out of there graves and walking up to the house. Maybe not a classic but it certainly worked on me since alot of Dead movies that deal with zombies creep me out. It certainly is not bloody but psychological horror and that in alone is quite scary.