G.I. Joe

(ended 1986)

TVvuer69

G.I. Joe Fan Reviews (24)

• "Now you know, and knowing is half the battle" "G.I. Joe the real American Hero." This was truely an 80's classic.

The show was entertaining, and really not that violent considering they were always fighting wars it wasn't graphic. There always was the Public Service Announcement at the end telling you how to get out of a fire, or to not talk to strangers etc. So the show was sort of educational as well. I wasn't a huge fan, but I enjoyed watching it, I had buddies, who had alot of the action figures and vehicles, I had some, but was more into other things. I still thought this show was great and fun to watch. It will always be an 80's icon.
  • Hahahahahhahahahahahhah

I'm just kidding, I just love those GI Joe PSA's on ebaumsworld. You know, the dubbed ones. Freakin' hilarious. Favorites are: Ice, Porkchop sandwiches, the computer guy, the "mememem" guy, motorcycle guy, indian !, what am I saying, each and every one is hilarious, but I have to say the BEST one is either Ice...or that short little one where the kid falls off the cliff!! Hahahahahahahah!! It's like 5 seconds long but the last frame is his terrified face! Hahaha! You have to go to ebaumsworld and look it up. You will be crying so hard. OH OH! Don't forget the one with the robot and the fire where the robot kills the two kids!
  • the best cartoon of the 80's

the best cartoon of the 80's . the chthe best cartoon of the 80's . the characters are classic, the stories are pretty cool, and the action is hot. aracters are classic, the stories are pretty cool, and the action is hot.
  • What a show

I think if I remember the show in the UK was called Action Force. Boy what a great show my two best shows in the 80`s was this and Transformers. Even now as a 32 year old I still watch the shows much better than the cartoons that they show today.

Trust me watch and see.
  • Classic Eighties Cartoon

This show was it when I was in high school. I lived, breathed and talked this show. I could mimmick all the voices, write my own stories with them and collect all the figures. This cartoon had it all! Great stories, wonderful humor, incredible action and all the women were complete babes, especially the Baroness with her tight black body suit (almost a precursor to Michelle Pfeiffer as the Catwoman). The heroes were a lot like Hogan's Heroes or the A-Team; almost completely infallible and always prepared. Spawning the cartoon toy merchandise phenomenon, however, it opened itself up to rip-offs, parodies and spoofs. There has been very few modern carttons to reach this height of greatness. Unfortunately, nothing this good lasts for long. GIJoe the Movie with Don Johnson and Burgess Meredith marked the end as the series was taken over by other producers and quickly ruined with stupid situations, bad stories, lousy animations and everyone's favorite characters eliminated. With that sort of damage, the legacy ended not with a bang (the movie) but with a whimper, and the kids of today were insulted with horrible cartoons with football-headed psycho babies and idiot talking sponges at the bottom of the creek or whatever.
  • a really cool series.

GI JOE is perhaps one of the best animated shows out there. the newer versions of the GI JOES weren't so good. but the ones that came out during the 1980s were really cool. it's a classic tale about good and evil. this works so well on animation. the toyline itself is a spectacle, the show seem to elevate the mythological of the toys. the GI JOE the movie was really good. the show had a really good plot line, the good guys go after the bad guys. the writers did a good job finding a way to tie the action figures with compelling storylines.
  • One of the best shows out there I enjoyed watching GI Joe alongside my older brother while listening to Cobra Commander plot, rant and rave, a definate must see.

As mentioned earlier I got to know the show while watching it with my older brother whenever I was sick it was enjoyable to see the Joes who were almost always foiling the various plots by the terrorist organization known as Cobra to conquer the world.

Despite a sad ending to it when the show was hijacked after the events of the movie it was still fun to watch even if Dragonfire and the episodes afterwards were targeted more towards little kids whereas the former was for everyone else.

The man who really stole the spotlight though was Cobra Commander (voiced wonderfuly by Chris Latta) he was ruthless and yet amusing to watch especially whenever he was screaming at everyone else and obviously not in full control of the events around him.

It was a shame that Buzz Dixon's idea for Cobra Commander's return was not brought about just as sad as loosing familiar characters such as Firefly, Tomax, Xamot, Zartan, Zandar, the Dreadnoks and the rest.

Nevertheless this show was and is worthy of a '10' I encourage everyone to watch this show because despite animation that is primative by today's standards this show is still better then many other shows out there chief among them SMC, and all the anime shows as it had an awesome plot, a wonderful group of characters and compelling stories unlike much of the cartoons on today.
  • Really Awsome Cartoon!

G.I. joe is really amazing. A group of soilders fighting a terrorist group called Cobra is really Amazing! Cobra Commander is my Favourite Character in the entire series, mainly because he has that shrekiy voice thats really Kickass!

This is truely one of the great 80's cartoons Ever to be made!
  • The best of the best of the best fight the terrorist organization COBRA as they try to take over the world.

This show was THE show for me growing up. Of all the shows that had a toy line, this was the one that I had the most of.

To me this show is perfect. It had great voice acting, great battles, and fantastic storylines. I simply love it!

Don't forget the public service anouncements after the show. That nose-bleed one? Yeah, it really does work and I still use it today!

Yo Joe!!
  • ultimate show to watch for anyone. when i was really young i used to watch the show all the time but did not record the shows. it would be nice to have all the episodes on dvd or VHS so i can watch the episodes i messed. another great show.

i liked the the way the joe's and the cobras would battle it out everyday. i think there was a movie but i seen it twice. it was a red ninja and a cobra turned into a reptile and the black guy sould not see. this is something to put in the collectors box
  • Takes the military and shows what happens when a mdman tries to take over the world. It puts relife scenerios along with fantacy stuff mixed together for soemthing really unbelievable. Really something not to be missed. Orignal and ahead of it's time.

Another 1980s must see. It took Duke, Scarlett, Snakeeyes, Lady Jay. Flint, Roadblock, Gunho, and others against Cobra Commander, Destro, The Barroness, and their mideons. It put a new meaning to the words mad man and taking over the world. They taught a lesson at the end that was informative.
  • Yo Joe!

Under the shadow of Ronald Reagan came G I Joe.
    this is a great show because it depicts the struggle between good and evil and it does it with a style and maturity that blows modern cartoons out of the water. Yes, there are cheesy moments and some bad lines. There is the type-cast "Dignified Indian" character who isn't allowed to escape camera range without posing serenely and imparting something profound and prophetic and overwhelmingly Indian, while his bald eagle with inexplicably white wing feathers and brown tailfeathers perches nobly on his shoulder. And it doesn't make sense that the foley people were able to find genuine stock effects for said eagle and other animals such as cougars and crows and lions, but a person had to perform the whining and growling and barking for the Rottweiler in the show. And no one will ever understand how you can run through a dense barrage of laser fire without being grazed in the slightest, or parachute safely through the fireball of an exploding helicopter without the flames damaging the chute.
    It is amazing looking back at this show now and se the obvious political overtone in regards to the likes of the Cold War. Even though I still loved it.
  • With the way things are around the world today, this show would be a good influence on children and adults who suffered from terrorism.

G.I Joe has always been my favorite cartoon when I was a little youngster. It focuses on a secret U.S Army Force fighting to protect the world from COBRA, the world's most dangerous terrorist group.

Unlike the other shows that had nothing but a lot of violence, this one never really had any bad messages being sent at all. PLUS, each episode had a unique moral at the end.

After the terrorist attacks on The Twin Towers and Pentagon that changed the course of worldwide history, I believe all American TV stations should resurrect G.I Joe (that way children will learn that there is always a hero out there in the cruel world we live in).

See ya. GOOOOO JOOOOOOOE.
  • A really good animated show about the military and the good guys.

A really good animated show about the military and the good guys. This was more than a pretty good television series. As is normal with good television shows, this one did not last long enough. This is a show that I would suggest watching if you get the chance. Check the bargain bins at Wal-Mart, the online movies sites (Amazon.com and such) and all of the cable channels that run old shows. Nick at Nite and TV Land are great for theses kind of shows. They will even do a week long spot for shows that only had 6 or so episodes. Then you have your super stations. They run a bunch of old shows too. All in all a pretty good show that did not get a good enough chance. Sometimes it is a simple as the show it is up against. Look at Law & Order. It is one of the longest running shows on TV. They moved it to go up against Lost. After about 2 weeks of getting pounded in the ratings it was moved back to it's original time slot. Shows like this should be given more of an opportunity.
  • A real american show. Put this show back on TV, man!

I used to watch it when I was young and thinking about it now, GI JOE is awesome. As I recall, both the toys and the series were popular in my time so why not now? Ok, I admit that the animations are not so impressive but I love the characters. I mean really...Snake Eyes, Cobra Commander, Duke, Baroness. These are all the good stuff. Please put this show back so that everyone can see it again, either in DVD form or the internet I don't care!
  • What an awesome 80s show.

This is one of those shows. If you were around in the early eighties you most likely watched it (unless you were very very girly). I was a big tomboy when I was little and I LOVED this show. I still have a GI Joe shirt. I even have a GI Joe by my computer at work (Shipwreck). This show was awesome! A personal favorite. Yo Joe! I still know all the words to the theme song. Maybe this is why I have always found miltary men more attractive than others... LOL! And of course who could forget the ending. "Now you know and knowing is half the battle. GI JOE!"
  • She returns home and she is bringing her mum with her.

She returns home and she is bringing her mum with her. Everyone is pleased to see they gives her a big hug. She asks himif she can ever forgive her for lying and he tells her the only way she can is if she tells the truth about the baby. But She tells her she can not do that because then he will never forgive her for lying to him.
  • Indoctrination, American-style.

As a kid, I loved this cartoon. For its time, the animation was great, had really cool sound effects, and great voice acting. They even had those obligatory cheesy 80s moral lessons at the end of each episode where they seemed to be speaking to the audience. However, looking back now, the cartoon really sucks. It was so predictable and repetitive and boring like Transformers was, with the same basic theme occuring in every single episode - COBRA tries to take over the world with some new weapon/device etc. This cartoon defined 80s excess, as it featured way too many characters,weapons, and vehicles, most of whom really didn't matter. New characters and vehicles were always brought in simply to have an excuse to sell you a new, more expensive toy. There were always battles and explosions going on, yet no one ever got hurt, injured or killed. That gets really boring after 2 or 3 episodes. Same old crap each episode.

• A show for the ages, marked not by its quality, but rather its influence. Let's face it, the animation and dialogue were not great, but nearly every boy knows G.I. Joe and has played with the action figures. That's where this show's true value lies.

A show for the ages, marked not by its quality, but rather its influence. Let's face it, the animation and dialogue were not great, but nearly every boy knows G.I. Joe and has played with the action figures. That's where this show's true value lies. Now, if you were to examine this show using modern day standards, it would get terrible reviews. Its plots are semi redundant, its dialogue corny, and its animation quality is only satisfactory, but for its time, it was the norm and even above average. The fact that this show was able to spread like wildfire among all little boys out there and build a merchandise fanbase as well is what sets this show apart.

My final review: You cannot watch this show expecting it to match the quality of modern cartoons, but if you go in expecting the cornball style of the 80's mixed with 80's quality, you will be pleased and find a highly entertaining show that is sure to refresh memories of your childhood.
  • Force of Action

Yeah I'm a G.I. Joe fan not a big one though, I played with the toys when I was 7, even played the video games that I enjoy (the first Nintendo game and my favorate the Konami arcade game), a comic book series whcih is great due to it's developing plot and characters as well as serious nature and I still collect today, but of course I've even watch the cartoon show which was a hell of a lot of fun and I still feel is a lot of fun because it has it's own kind of charm.

It's true some today may be put off by the slight light chessy campy nature of this show partial contains. But that's because you might not be looking at it right, if you take the entertainment medium too seriously you'll be missing the point let alone the fun. To me this show is practically a simple comic book basic format of good guys vs. bad guys nothing special but it's always in the execution of the conflict that matters. The fact that it doesn't take itself seriously is a good thing. It sort of has this satirical parody senability to it from the scams to the nature of both sides. This fact alone is why you might need to be in the right mood to want to watch. But what I like is you can actually like and care about both sides of the spectrum because of the good characteriazaion in both sides. Which is why most of the characters we know are memorable today, I'll state a few of them from both sides. Flint and Lady Jaye: Both are just a great duo as well as charracters individually. Flint is almost a Snake Solid like character he is determined, tough, charasmatic, a strong leader cares for his men and women and believes in doing what's right. Lady Jaye could be the equivalant of Meryl, defently good with her trademark weapon, confident, clever, determined, a bit naive sometimes, feisty, and femine.

Shipwreck: Always reminded me of actor Bruce Cambell for some strange reason, he was arrogant, reckless, rebelious funny, wisecracking, but always had a humanity within him. As well as always on a never ending pursuit for Cover Girl's affections though fails most of the time but hey I admire him for trying.

Storm Shadow: Awsome ninja antagonist that has both awsome moves but also engimatic in motive I always like charcters shrouded in mystery.

Baroness: I had a crush on this character when I was 7 what can I say I'm attracted to bad girls. From that sleck outfit she has on glasses with it, down to her persona which is always ruthless, sharp, smart, and there is always this warmth inside her that doesn't show but it's there.

The action was always a lot of fun even though a bit inconsistent (nobody ever really gets hit from the gunfire) let alone more laws of physics broken than a Hong Kong action film. But all the same fun we got different vehcles, gun and fistfights and even the explosions to go with it. The outcome may have always been predictable but it didn't really matter, Cobra's loss was sometimes funny because it wasn't so much the fact that the Joes won because they were tough and better organized than the Cobras but it was really incompetence and egotism that was the Cobra's organizations undoing. And the episodes were well writen and creative and inspired. Some were typical action not so serious like "The Gamemaster" which was the G.I. Joe version of "The Most Dangerous Game" or "Phantom Bregade". But there were some that were serious and suprisingly had emotion like the stand alone "Computer Complecations", the two parter "There's no place like Springfield" and my favorate of the entire show "Worlds Without End".

And who can forget those PSA which I always thought were hilarious but at the same time really educatonal. It was funny mainly because of those last lines in every one of them.

Children: Now we know.

G.I. Joe character: And knowing is half the battle.

Chorus: G.I. JOE

I swear that cracks me up every time I hear it. Or even the show opening where were the most exciting I've seen in any show.

The only bad things about the show are I don't like how it handled my favorite character in the entire comic book series "Snake Eyes" he has very little screen time and he has little to do. Most of all I'm a little disappointed they didn't have the friendship romantic dynamic between both him and Scarlett and that disappoints me since their my favorite couple in the comic series, but oh well this is a flaw I can get past.

Overall the comic book series is clearly better, but
    I like this show and enjoy it for what it is because it has a different kind of charm and is simply fun, Yo, Joe!
  • Funny yet Mine-less

G.I. Joe Replaced Battle B-Daman (Better & funnier) on G4's Action Blast & Why did it replaced B-Daman?

I mean if you want a classic to return why not "Super Mario Brother's Super Show" or "Case Closed"

plus What happend to GOOD shows. Show like Abenobashi Shopping Arcade, Cormatie High-School, Battle B-Baman, are Colorful, all of those. Good bye G4, we hardley evre knew ya!
  • Not as good as I remember it actually. I recentely picked the Season 1 box set to relive my childhood via Hasbro machinations. Ugh. Lame plots , utter cornball dialogue , yep just as I left it.

5.2
    Cobra is pathetic at setting up their elaborate, half-baked schemes, only to foiled by Joe's single-handedely. Don't forget though both sides are armed with machineguns , missiles and lasers, no one dies. Right....
    Several episodes throw basic physics right out the window, and more craziness ensues.
    Yes, we all love Cobra Commander and his rants..they're about the only thing that make the show watchable!
    You'll be sick to death of the Joe's holier-than-thou , self-righteous, smug attitudes being shoved down your throat.
  • Good animation, voice acting, and interesting characters can't shield its theme

I did give this show a chance and I do see some good factors (Duke cares about his teammates and rescues civilians, Snake Eyes sacrifices himself at one point and they are protecting society). The animation is very good for a saturday morning show and the voice actors do a great job. But the reason I'm being so hard on this show is that is glorifies war (fantasy or not) and portrays it very unrealistically with no deaths, let alone serious injury. War is hardly ever justified (I'm not a pacifist) and only three wars were in our history (Revolutionary, Civil, and WWII). Unlike Star Wars where the characters picked their battles very carefully, war is the solution and an everyday thing. Although it is worth seeing for the compelling schemes and rescues, the tiresome "plots" are about good enough to fit on the back of a postcard, giving me more reason to find better things to watch/do.
  • Gets worse over time.

Back in 85 when I was six I loved this show. There was Snake Eyes, Duke, Flint, Cobra Commander, Scarlet, Zartan and others. The story seemed great, the action at the time was great. I loved it when I was 6, 7, and 8. Sadly that was then this is now. GI-Joe is another show that doesn't age well with time, like Voltron and the A Team. First the animation just doesn't hold up. The story is still ok, but what really gets me is the action. You have these very well trained and no one gets killed. In some shows you have over one hundred men shooting at each other and no one gets killed or really injured. Come on this is war. I was only 6, but I knew what war was seeing it on the news. My uncle fought and died in vietnam, both my grandfathers fought in World War 2. At the time I was also watching Transformers, Voltron, Robotech, and Moblie Suit Gundam. So GI Joe has no excuse.