Gilgamesh

(ended 2004)

SrRui

Gilgamesh Fan Reviews (9)

• Amazing

Dark , Deep , and Awesome .... 3 words for this show. It did start kinda slow and at first seemed some what dull turned out to be addictive and wonderful. The music was ok both opening and closing themes and the art was good. however the finale was so .... how to put it sad to say the least but on the other hand happy. I wasn't sure who was right or wrong in the show i sided with the gilgamesh children mostly . They were all to human but to a higher standard and i would recomend this anime to anyone who would listen.
  • Gilgamesh....absolutly fabulous

Gilagamesh as a whole is an amazing and amazingly addicting show to watch. The characters and I will not hesitate to say this a beautifully drawn and the males are hot. The gilgamesh all dressing in skin tight body suits is definatly a plus. It makes me sad that this show is so overlooked as just another gothic anime. It is not original persay being the fact that it is based off an ancient myth but, it is an interesting watch. As, the original Gilgamesh is an interesting read. I do enjoy the fact the the slogan for this show is "Who's side are you on?". It, in a way, makes you as a viewer feel that you are involved although you really have no contorl over the side you like in this show. my personal views frqunetly switched from Orga to Gilgamesh never staying on one for long. All in all Gilgamesh is an amazing series to watch.
  • An anime without hardly any redeeming qualities.

3.5
    Each episode leaves you wanting more, though by the end you find what a waste of time it all was. Ignoring the bad looking faces, the horrible facial expressions, the robotic movements, the repetitive music, and slowly dolled out story, you are left with an ending similar to Evangelion that left me wanting to punch a hole in the screen. It leaves the viewer frustrated and unappreciated.
  • Underrated and a masterpiece.

A dark and apocalyptic anime with a lot of emotion.
    it has a great stracture as well as storyline. after completed fullmetal alchemists i was looking
    for something simiar thats when i gave gilgamesh a try. i saw it a long time ago on the the rockworld channel but
    never gave it a thought that was because i didn't understand
    both the storyline and the structure but after watchin it fully i
    must say is a master piece and forever it will be. we all know is takes more than action to make a good anime and this
    show has everything that is needed and more for a great and addictive
    anime. you feel the characters when watching it, it goes from a simple
    animaton character to living being in the sense that the music and the
    tone of vioce sets the mood as well as well as bringing it to life.

Gilgamesh does not have a typical anime plot which is good guys vs bad guys.
    but this show is much more than that and the question of whos the good guys and the bad guys are tossed around so much that
    you will need o answer it yourself.

At a certain point the ending becomes obvious but as you will know from the previous eps. Gilgamesh can surprise you.
    it is a great anime and i will recommend it for more experienced anime fans.
  • Beautifully drawn, eerie and strange anime based on an ancient Babylonian myth.

This anime series is set in a world transformed by violence and disaster. A terrorist named Enkidu unleashed an attack that transformed the sky into a mirror. Two young people, fleeing extortionists who threatened their mother, stumble into a shadowy lair filled with relics of monsters -- and inhabited by an equally strange pair of keepers. Are these new guardians friend or foe? With nowhere else to hide, the children are forced to accept the hospitality of the two minders. Who's on their side, and what will become of the children in this world where safety is but a dream?

I loved the fluid style of the art. I would have liked to see a little variation in the color scheme. Yes, it's a dystopia of the future, but why does this have to mean we can't see anything? Parents should be aware this show is much too intense and gloomy for young children. For those who are looking for a drama that combines ancient mythology with modern technology and mystery, this will be a series with much promise.
  • The world as we know it changed after XX. Two siblings find themselves living in a hotel with the Countess who has three other "special" children. What starts with an interesting premise involving a post-apocalyptic world, quickly falls apart.

'Gilgamesh' started out as an interesting, albeit different anime. I first heard about it when wandering around Best Buy. Being that I'd heard of the ancient and original "Epic of Gilgamesh," I assumed that there might be some interesting parallels between the two. Sadly, other than passing references and a slight focus on the Godliness of Gilgamesh, there is really nothing in common between the two. They just use the epic as a story that slightly influences the characters.

The show just seemed to be too slow with nothing really happening in the end. Also, the end seemed to try to go somewhere in the realm of what happened in "End of Evangelion" from 'Neon Genesis Evangelion,' but it wasn't worth the build up for me.

I was disappointed overall and wouldn't necessarily recommend this to others. It took me too long to finish and didn't give me a reason to want to watch the next episode after I had finished one.
  • The world as we know it has changed after XX. Two siblings find themselves living in a hotel with the Countess who has three other "special" children. What begins with an interesting premise of a post-apocalyptic world, quickly falls apart.

Gilgamesh started out as an interesting, albeit different anime. I first heard about it when wandering around Best Buy. Being that I'd heard of the original Epic of Gilgamesh, I assumed that there might be some interesting parallels between the two. Sadly, other than passing references with a slight focus on the Godliness of Gilgamesh, there is really nothing in common between the two. They just use the epic as a story that slightly influences the characters. The show just seemed to be too slow with nothing really happening in the end. Also, the end seemed to try to go somewhere in the realm of what happened in End of Evangelion from Neon Genesis Evangelion, but it wasnt worth the build up.

• It's easy to see how many would miss the beauty of this anime.

Gilgamesh is different than most other anime I have seen. The art and style is especially unique. There are many things that many people would not catch onto especially when it involves the many musical references. From the beginning you know that music has some importance but you don't really see why until you near the end. Honestly, the story begins with a pretty slow pace, but as you get past the half way mark things definitely begin to pick up.

Basically, at first there are two factions: The Countess and her "Orgas" and The Professor and his "Gilgamesh." The two main characters who get caught in the middle are the children of the professor. However, being in that he committed an act of world terrorism that changed the face of the planet and has not interacted with them for more than a decade, leaving them to fend for themselves after the death of their mother, they hold no allegience to him. However, the countess is no saint and basically owns them. At times it may seem clear who is the good guy and the bad guy... but in truth its not as it seems. Soon, former enemies are their only hope for getting through certain situations. Most battles are fought using something called Dynamis which allows the children (the Orga and the Gilgamesh) to project pulses of energy and other forms of telekinesis, telepathy, and teleportation. While not a crazy action show, there is still enough combat and action going on to get you through to the next part of the story. This anime may not be for everyone, but it suited me just fine. The style was a breath of fresh air, at a time when anime was seeming to all blend together.
  • Not your ordinary run of the mill anime! I stumbled Gilgamesh one day and have been hooked every since.

The series starts out with a group of scientist at the research facility called “Heaven’s Gate”. Where researchers have been studying Gilgamesh’s tomb where paranormal is thought to lie in the cavern below is a doorway to another world. When the program gets cut a scientist, dubbed Enkidu, sets off a catastrophic explosion that throws the world into a post-apocalyptic culture. Side effects of the explosion turns the sky to a mirror, computers no longer work and children are born with special powers.

14 years later, in comes our main characters “Tatsuya and Kiyoko”, a brother and sister duo that are on the run from a syndicate because of debts that their mother left behind. They hide in an abandoned house only to realize that it is occupied by three boys in black. The mysterious boys are startling and the two are unsure of how to take them, especially when the three protect them from the debt collectors with brutal force.

The mysterious boys offer the siblings a chance to join them to fight against the devils in the world. Kiyoko and Tatsuya are cautious, not sure what to do and this is even further made difficult when three new children appear and commence to battle the three in black. There the siblings see the children in black turn in to monsters with wings. The three new children defeat the ones in black (Gilgamesh children) and the siblings are taken to see the Countess of Werdenberg.

The Countess explains her interest in them because they are the children of Terumichi Madoka, the scientist that caused the explosion. The siblings do not want to have anything to do with their father or his work and wish to leave. The Gilgamesh children appear to take the siblings back and a huge battle ensues. Tatsuya discovers he has some powers of his own and helping the good children they defend the house. The next day the as the sibling are getting ready to leave the debt collectors caught up with them and the Countess buys them from the debt collector, successfully forcing them to participate on her side of the battle against the Gilgamesh children.

As the story setting goes on there is strife between the wants of the siblings and the Countess. Tatsuya discovers more of his powers and his past. Along with the Countess’s children, he goes on to battle the Gilgamesh children. Kiyoko has no special powers since she was born before the explosion and feels she needs to search out her own future. The siblings split up and the tale get tangled and twisted in a wonderful and addictive manner as all great animes go. You are never sure who is really the bad guys of the show.

The artwork is excellent with an almost black and white design that uses colors to accent key themes and emphasize the important schemes. The music is haunting mix of woman vocals and techno pop that fluctuates between the two showing the intensity of the moments.

Gilgamesh is a visual and audio experience that causes one to stop and ponder ones own existence.

I recommend you check it out when you have time to sit, think and enjoy.