Gilligan's Island Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

Re runs?

firefly317

[1]Jul 6, 2007
    • level: 23
    Does any channel have re runs of this show? TV Land maybe?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

borisbalinkoff

[2]Jul 8, 2007
    • level: 22
    TV Land has not aired it regularly since early 2004, I believe, although it has occasionally appeared on special occasions. As far as I know it is not on any other major nationwide networks. But all three seasons are on DVD.

echo-lives

[3]Feb 10, 2008
    • level: 5
    I wish some network would pick up this show for re runs.. Its truly timeless..

FredScuttle

[4]Feb 22, 2008
    • level: 43

If you live near Chicago or South Bend IN, it airs weekdays. Chicago at 5pm (local time) on WWME-23 (ME-TV), and in South Bend at 2pm (local time) on WMYS-69, although it looks like they're taking it off of WMYS-69 at the end of the month, and replacing it with another episode of Beverly Hillbillies (it currently airs right after GI at 2:30pm)

my_life_rules_6

[5]Mar 9, 2008
    • level: 7
    nope none that I know of but I finally got the entire season set so I can watch them whenever.

ember13dp

[6]Jun 13, 2008
    • level: 21
    I have all eps on DVD and that's how I watch them. Including the rescue from GI. Did anyone else see that?

KEVINT1964

[7]May 2, 2009
    • level: 1

DVD's of any TV show are the best bet, since they are uncut (or should be) & full-length as the show originally aired. Nowadays, half-hour sitcom reruns in TV syndication usually have anywhere from 3-5 minutes edited out of the show. I've even noticed differences from year to year in syndication, as more scenes are slightly trimmed from previous years in order to increase commercial time. I remember watching "Gilligan's Island" reruns back in the 1970's, and the shows were actually ran in their full entirety. Watching it now in syndication (if possible), and I can tell where scenes have been chopped. It's often obvious with unnatural edits and screen blackouts as "transitions" between scenes.

There are big differences between shows made then vs. now. TV show times were longer back in the 1960's, with most half-hour episodes being 26-27 minutes in length, whereas the original broadcast of half-hour shows today are closer to 23-24 minutes (before syndication editing). They also made many more episodes in a season (well over 30 a season was the norm in the 1960's; you're lucky to get 22 a season today).