Gilligan's Island Forums

CBS (ended 1967)

Why was it cancelled?

my_life_rules_6

[1]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 7
    i remember watching something on tv land that told why it was cancelled but I can't remember why. It wasen't because it was time to move on cause they only had 3 seasons and they had everything ready to go for season 4 but something happened and they had to quite. Can anyone tell me why? Please? 
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

borisbalinkoff

[2]Jul 19, 2006
    • level: 22
    I've always been a little confused, but it all comes down to the fact that Gunsmoke would have to be cancelled if GI continued, and the wife of the president of CBS (or something) liked the western, so GI was cancelled I would have liked to see Gilligan shrink, meet a genie and an alien and see why Ginger--but none of the others--was rescued (in the fourth season).
    Edited on 02/13/2007 6:20pm
    Edited 2 total times.

gilliganfanatic

[3]Jul 22, 2006
    • level: 19
    yes they needed an extra spot on the schedule so they decided that Gunsmoke needed a new audience at an earlier time so they took GI spot and a new pilot that was picked up at first called Doc. Tina Louise wasted off so I am glad it ended after three seasons. For me it is all the castaways or none of them.

SoccerMax86

[4]Aug 8, 2006
    • level: 1
    Under a wave of pressure to reverse the threatened cancellation of Gunsmoke, which aired late on Saturday nights, CBS cancelled Gilligan's Island to open up early air time on Monday evenings, despite the fact that Gilligan's Island had solid ratings. I wish that Gilligan's Island had been kept instead of the weastern. Today, Gilligan's Island is way more popular than Gunsmoke.

SoccerMax86

[5]Aug 8, 2006

A couple years ago, TV Land did a top ten countdown of the most popular theme songs. Gunsmoke didn't make it, but guess which theme song was #1? Yep. Gilligan!

Edited on 08/08/2006 8:25am
    Edited 3 total times.

zarah2004

[6]Oct 14, 2006
    • level: 6
    SoccerMax86 wrote:

A couple years ago, TV Land did a top ten countdown of the most popular theme songs. Gunsmoke didn't make it, but guess which theme song was #1? Yep. Gilligan!

"Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale..."  It's probably the greatest theme song ever!

aheflin

[7]Feb 12, 2007
    Why not keep both shows? Was it the money? Surely they could have made room for one of the top 5 TV shows of all time. CBS goofed on that one.

habsr1

[8]Jun 5, 2007
    • level: 2

I every kid I went to school with knew the words to the theme song.  The song was attributed to a folk group the Wellingtons and I am pretty sure they released some singles.  I remember going through my uncle's suitcase of 45's and I am pretty sure I cam across a Wellington's recording. 

mashgirl18

[9]Jul 29, 2007
    • level: 3
    it was cancelled to put Gunsmoke back on the air. how lame is that. that really sucks

KEVINT1964

[10]May 2, 2009

Originally, "Gunsmoke" was cancelled because of its declining ratings, and "Gilligan's Island" was renewed for a fourth season. As posted previously, someone's wife tied to a high level CBS executive got upset that "Gunsmoke" was being cancelled and threw a hissy-fit about it. There wasn't enough room on the '67-'68 CBS schedule as initially proposed to re-add "Gunsmoke" without another show being axed. "Gilligan's Island" was the show that got trimmed from the '67-68 CBS fall schedule. That explains why there wasn't any sort of "closure" episode for "Gilligan's Island" in the '66-'67 season finale, because it was a spur-of-the-moment cancellation after show producers were told before season end that the show was being renewed. Oddly, "Gunsmoke", after being spared the electric chair, found renewed life from it & actually became a ratings success again for several years.

DooDles3000

[11]Aug 17, 2009
    • level: 5
    It is an absolute shame that 'Gilligan's Island' was cancelled. It shouldn't have been ; it had HUGE ratings and was a genuinley fantastic show. The fact that the cast, crew, and audience loved it, made it even more tragic. I can't believe that when it really comes down to it, no matter how popular and successful and great the show, the suits can do whatever they want. It's really horrible. This show could've run 2 - 3 more years EASY, it had the power and potential. I hate to see such quality be ferociously axed.

jukeboxjaw

[12]Sep 1, 2009
    • level: 2
    I love this show and the theme song but NO WAY is it number 1. That spot will likely forever be held by The Jeffersons theme Movin' On Up.

archangelwho

[13]Sep 2, 2009
    • level: 18
    The bosses of CBS never did like the show and was looking for a reson to end it from the start so it did not take much. If you take a look at CBS during those years look will see they cancwllwd a lot of the top rated shows at the time just because the bosses who ran CBS did not like them. At one time CBS was referred to as the Country Broadcasting System due to the theme of mny of their shows, most of which had been in the top 10 & was in the top 15. Then one day they cancelled "everything country". It no wonder that ABC & NBC was able to pass CBS after years of CBS being on top.

HarryFromNE

[14]Mar 15, 2010

The reason GILLIGAN'S ISLAND was canceled as it was: The studio or network wanted to air Gunsmoke, or another western, and they decided to cancel GI to make room. It was still doing well in the ratings, too! The cast didn't even know it was going to be canceled & I don't think Sherwood Schwartz, did either, until late on. That's why, most likely, that they were still on the island at the premature ending to the awesome, classic show. Foolish to cancel a successful show to make room for a gamble. Sounds like something the CW would do (Though I like Smallville, Supernatural, One Tree Hill & even Vampire Diaries. They still should have either kept REAPER, or kept the cast together for the then potential transfer of the series to ScyFi).

mcabbyforever

[15]Sep 29, 2010
    • level: 15

gilliganfanatic wrote:
    yes they needed an extra spot on the schedule so they decided that Gunsmoke needed a new audience at an earlier time so they took GI spot and a new pilot that was picked up at first called Doc. Tina Louise wasted off so I am glad it ended after three seasons. For me it is all the castaways or none of them.

Oh yeah I agree I mean did u see rescue movie? I own it and love it except the new Ginger. What a ditz. I mean it was such a slap to Ginger, Tina played her very smart and very sexy and also a brat sometimes but she was at least lovable. New girl, not so much in fact 1-10 she gets a 1 and Tina has 10 I was so glad the rest returned so new actress didnt totally kill it for me

fivestringmusic

[16]Apr 19, 2011
    I hate to blow the lid of it but I think the real reason Gilligan got cancelled was because of Vietnam...yep. It went the way of the tiki bar. People didn't want to be reminded of the war and Gunsmoke was a "way out west" American pride gunslinger show. Agree?

guitartec

[17]May 27, 2011

I think it had to do with the president of NBC (or ABC?) had a new show (Bonanza maybe?) that needed a pre prime-time time slot. Since the president's wife liked Bonanza, she got her way and Gilligan's Island was out.

tvking1

[18]Jul 12, 2011
    • level: 42

The network was CBS, and it was Gunsmoke, not Bonanza. William S. Paley, founder and chairman of CBS, and his wife were big Gunsmoke fans, and GI was cancelled so Gunsmoke could be shown in the time slot that GI occupied.

Edited on 07/12/2011 3:41pm

my_life_rules_6

[19]Aug 11, 2011
    • level: 7
    mcabbyforever wrote:

gilliganfanatic wrote:

Oh yeah I agree I mean did u see rescue movie? I own it and love it except the new Ginger. What a ditz. I mean it was such a slap to Ginger, Tina played her very smart and very sexy and also a brat sometimes but she was at least lovable. New girl, not so much in fact 1-10 she gets a 1 and Tina has 10 I was so glad the rest returned so new actress didnt totally kill it for me

Yes, but it was Tina's choice. She wanted nothing to do with coming back as Ginger so they had no other choice but to bring in someone else.

archangelwho

[20]Jan 18, 2014
    • level: 18

The dead heads of CBS during the 60s had problems with many of their most popular shows. Just check out the number of top 10, top 15 shows they canceled. Then there was shows like Star Terk that they tried to kill off from the very start.