Gilligan's Island

Gilligan, the Goddess

Aired Saturday 8:30 PM Apr 17, 1967 on CBS

7.1
  • LAST EPISODE

This was the very last episode produced of the original Gilligan;s Island and it;s still a very funny script. The entire cast and crew were expecting to come back for Season 4. The ratings were solid, the cast were all having fun (of course except for TINA LOUISE Lol). They were getting ready during the Summer for Season 4 when President of CBS William Paley abruptly canceled the show. WHY? Bevause the execs at CBS forgot to find a time slot to put GUNSMOKE and GUNSMOKE was MRS PALEY;s favorite show. Now at this point GUNSMOKE was running on empty and was really on its way out (WESTERNS were DONE by 1968) but since CBS omitted GUNSMOKE---Paley put it back into the schedule and had to cancel Gilligan. HARSH as hell. Never should have canceled the 3 of Gilligans ISland is arguably the funniest. One can only imagine what they would have done for season 4. A real shame...
  • review

The last part was a little disapointing-I Would have expected aLL the Castaways to try to persuade the Chief to come back-not just Mr Howell and Gilligan
  • Hilarious

This is one of the funniest episodes of the entire series! I am shocked to see this rated so low. I suspect it has to do with viewers' disappointment in light of the fact that this is the series finale. Is it a series finale as we know them today? Of course not! Not only were series finales typically uncommon in the '60s, but the show itself was intending to come back for a fourth season. As a standalone episode, this is one of the best. Great guest stars, great dialogue, great sight gags. Shocked to see it rated so low here.