Gilligan's Island

Hi-Fi Gilligan

Aired Saturday 8:30 PM Nov 25, 1965 on CBS

• An accident turns Gilligan into a radio receiver just as a dangerous typhoon is about to approach the island.

"Hi-Fi Gilligan" is one of my favorite episodes of this series. The cast is at the top of their game, as they usually are, but here it seems like they are at their absolute best. What also helps this episode is that it is not an episode where the castaways think they will be rescued but the new hope turns up empty. Those episodes are way too predictable and I don't care for them all that much. However that does not mean the episode is perfect. The biggest problem for me is that the castaways chose such a small cave for shelter when numerous times during the run of this series we have seen the castaways in caves that were much better suited for them and could easily accommodate everybody. While it does set the stage for probably the most emotional moment in the series history, I could not help but wonder why such a tiny cave was chosen. Despite this small flaw, this episode is definitely not just one of the best of the second season, but one of the best of the entire series.