Gilligan's Island

Pass the Vegetables, Please

Aired Saturday 8:30 PM Sep 26, 1966 on CBS

• While fishing on the lagoon, Gilligan pulls in a crate of vegetable seeds. Ecstatic over the fact the castaways can now enjoy the vegetables they have been depirved of for so long, Gilligan fails to see the warning saying the seeds are radioactive.

While Gilligan's Island delivered many funny and memorable episodes during the show's three season run, "Pass the Vegetables Please" is not one of them. There are too many flaws in this episode. One being that the castaways decided to eat the vegetables despite the fact that they grew so fast and the were deformed. The Professor's reason that sea water caused the deformity is hardly one I would buy. The fact that Tina Louise has such a small part in this episode is odd. Also, radioactive poisoning can be cured by eating soap?! PLEASE. What helps the episode is seeing the effect the seeds had on the castaways. Gilligan's strength, Lovey's superspeed. That helps carry the episode, but there are episodes that are much better. "The Invasion" for example.

• Formula and camara tricks dominate one of the more surreal episodes of the series.

The islanders suffer different odd effects upon discovering a crate of weird vegetables washed up on shore.

I have to admit this episode is different, the idea of eating found food has got to be slightly clever for a comedy - the most done with the theme since might be George eating an eclair on top of the garbage in "Seinfeld". So, I might give this installment some credit as being clever.

From there on, it is "Gilligan's Island", so while the professor can explain the radioactive effects (after finding the printed warning), he fails to prevent anyone from actually eating them as a matter of common sense. Therefore Gilligan gains super strength after eating spinach, Mary Ann can see hundreds of miles out to sea after eating carrots, and Mrs. Howell scurries around in fast-forward because of sugar beets. The biggest laugh is the idea of giant mutated vegetables appearing out of nowhere - almost like having Skylab landing in the yard.

I actually think this is one of the better episodes of "Gilligan's Island", it's just not up to the standard of passable television for me.