Gilligan's Island

CBS (ended 1967)

PapaTazzz

Gilligan's Island Fan Reviews (55)

• Nightare of a Hamster Wheel!!!

Sorry but shows like Lost in Space with Dr Smith and Gilligans Island where no one can get anywhere cos some dumb a$$ keeps screwing up drive me INSANE!!! I do still recall the theme song though! Very catchy in a dastardly way... And til this day whenever I get in a lift I look at whoever is in their with me and wonder should the elevator break down... If these will be teh crew of my old Gilligan\'s Island. There\'s a show for you seven people stuck in a lift shaft... PS: Wasn\'t that Baccus guy in Rebel Without A Cause? Did he do any other comedies???
  • why was this show so popular. it makes ablsoulty no sence what so ever.

this show made ablsoulty no sence. how could they make exersise macines and radios and pies and other studd like that if they cant even build a boat. and why did all those people always get on the island. couldnt they get off with those people. basically i hate this show and it's not funny and its a complite waste of time.
  • A show about people stranded on a deserted island after their boat is shipwrecked.

I know why I watched ... for Mary Anne and her cute little outfits. The show itself had a silly premise and a lot of overacting. Several people came and went from the island without ever helping the castaways get home themselves.

Lots of crazy stunts and everything that could go wrong did go wrong. Bob Denver stared as Gilligan and Alan Hale Jr. played the Skipper Jonas Grumby. Natalie Schafer and Jim Backus played a married couple that happend to be millionaires. Russell Johnson played the Professor Roy Hinkley, Jr. The eye candy on the island was the two young ladies. Tina Louise played a movies star named Ginger Grant and Dawn Wells was the cute Mary Ann Summers.
  • It\'s not real

5.9
    This show is terrible in my opinion. I liked it up until i found out that it was not shot on a real island. Unlike modern shows this show just has a backdrop to make it seem like they are shipwrecked that got me angry. I say that we should all boycott the show so they stop running the reruns. I have nothing else to say about this hideous disgusting misleading show!
  • a show that makes you ask more questions when the show is over.

6.8
    why would the Howels bring all there money? why would they be on a small boat when they had like house boats bigger than the buildings? why did they bring brandy and another expense drinks? why did ginger bring millions of outfits then skiper and gillan almost lived on the boat and only had the cloths on their backs? can the perfessor know a little about everything? what was a kansas girl doing at the ocean? how come the huts looking huge on the inside but, tiny on the outside? how could radio waves come clearly to the island and one doesn't work just out on your back porch?

this is to name a few. and the quessing is why it's a classic.
  • As a kid I liked the show - good empty headed nonsensical fun.

6.9
    After all those years on the Island I wonder if Maryann and the Professor ever, ya know, do it? What about Ginger and the Professor? Was there a love triangle there that was never explored? I know the Howells were pretty much dried up old husks by the time they reached the Island so we know there probably wasnt much going on since those bamboo hut walls wouldve given them away.

And what about Gilligan? Did he ever score? I know some people think when Skipper called Gilligan "his little buddy" it was more than just a platonic relationship. At first I dismissed this entirely, but then again you just never know - look at Grey's Anatomy.

Now if Gilligan had just found that darn hatch and hadnt lost that lottery ticket with the numbers 4-8-15-16-23-42 on it.... or perhaps he did.... "Gilligan: The Untold Story of the Founding of the Dharma Initiative"
  • "Gilligan's Island"

This show was funny and stupid at the same time, it was a good show on people lost on a unincharted island. Gilligan was so funny when he was with the skipper it put a smile on my face when i watched it. it got to be funny even when they said nothing.
  • Gilligans Island is a series about a group of tourists who get stranded on a beautiful tropical island and their many attempts to escape this paradise. Gilligan was the first-mate of the ship-wrecked tour boat.

7.2
    When Gilligans Island first aired, it was a terrific change of pace for TV-land audiences; the show features a slice of life cast in an amazing setting. The show always began with a short little title ditty about how it was supposed to be just a three hour tour and then the tour boat got tossed around in a sudden storm and now they\'re all shipwrecked on a tropical island. The charactures are as follow:
    The Skipper
    Gilligan the First Mate
    Mr Thurston Howell
    Mrs Lovey Howell
    Ginger the Movie Star
    Mary Ann The Professor
    These folks hail from all walks of life and previously completely different social classes. Now that they must work together to survive and or escape from this desert isle, the walls are really broken down in more ways than one. This series teaches tolerance and keeps us laughing the whole ride long.
  • This show is just flat out funny! Yet I haven't seen this show in a long time... But, it was good while it lasted.

7.8
    This show is about how boat crashes during a hurricane and the crew has to live on this island for a long time. Each of the episodes are about how the crew tries to make a plan to get off the island. The planes never work though. Gilligan is always getting in trouble for not doing anything right. The Skip always gets mad because, he gets stuck with Gilligan every time. Also on the island is a model a rich man and his wife and a scientist. The scientist always tries to find away to get off the island with his technological ideas, none of them ever work. Just flat out funny and must see.
  • OK, so not technical the best writing or acting but c'mon! This show rocks!

7.9
    This is one of my favorite shows ever. I don't care how old I get or how many times I've seen each episode I still end up laughing. The whole premise is surprisingly simplistic. Seven people stranded on a desert island. If it were to be done today it would be quite depressing as we would see all the problems and personal issues amoung each character. Lucky for us this was made in the 60s when comedy was comedy.
  • a really good classic show

gilligans island was a really good show that was about these people that get stranded on the island and come up with ways to get off the island like making radio coconuts and wocky takies out of coconuts and other useful things and it features giliagan who usully messes things up for them it also has a beatiful model on the island and a man and his wife well two couples and they try depratly to get off each ep. the show was a classic and i really enjoyed it even though i was not born in the 60s i saw all the eps on the network tv land and grew up with the reapeats of the show in the 90s.
  • Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, the tale of a fateful trip. Skipper Jonas Grumby and his mate Gilligan take five passengers on a three hour boat tour, but that tour lasts a lot longer than anybody could have anticipated.

I think it's safe to say that many people who have watched episodes of "Gilligan's Island" over the years have always asked a lot of questions such as "Why did the Howells bring so much luggage for a three hour tour?" or "The castaways can build a lie detector, so why can't they build a boat to leave the island?". While these may be valisd questions, one thing that can also be said is that "Gilligan's Island" is a very entertaining and just plain fun show to watch. The cast does a great job in their respective roles. Fun show.
  • BEST SHOW IN THE LONGEST TIME

GOOD PROFORMACE
  • I loved this show as kid. i used to watch it everyday on channel 19 in cincinnati.

how to review a pop culture icon? i won't even try. i will simply write about the hours of entertainment this show gave me when i was a kid. i loved this show when i was little and never missed its afternoon airings. the sheer and total silliness of it always put me in a good mood. now that i am grown up i will catch it in reruns whenever i can. i am giving serious thought to getting the dvds for sheer nostalgia sake. i often think that tv would be a little grayer and little more bland if not for the ridiculous exploits of gilligan and company
  • An all-time classic

This show has been off the air for nearly thirty years and made less than a hundred episodes, yet it has been shown somewhere every single dayfor as long as I can remember. It has been the punchline for countless jokes yet remains one of the most beloved series of all time. I love this show, yet I don't know why. It's just one of those shows that, much like The Brady Bunch, is part of our lives and our culture.
  • About a group of people who are shipwrecked on a deserted island and can't find a way off.

Although this show was already off the air before I was born I use to always watch the reruns with my grandmother. It was one of my favorites and I just loved Ginger. I had always wondered if they'd ever get off the island, and later when I stopped seeing the old reruns I wondered how did the professor create all those things but couldn't create a boat to get them off the island?
  • Philosophy 101 and Gilligan's Island

Being shipwrecked on a deserted island with a bunch of strangers hardly sounds like a funny situation, but Gilligan is no ordinary guy. Through his childlike simplicity, he touches the lives of each castaway in a way that brings humor to a desperate existence.

There are a lot of great things to be philosophical about from Gilligan's Island. We could put together an "Everything I need to know for life I learned from Gillian's Island" list. We learn not to take ourselves too seriously. We learn to give others the benefit of a doubt. We learn to think the best of those around us. We learn that everyone has an important contribution to make. We learn to laugh at ourselves and encourage those who are hurting. The list could go on and on. In short, we need more "Gilligans" in the world today. May their tribe increase.
  • One of my favoites.

Gilligan's Island is an American TV sitcom originally produced by United Artists Television. It aired for three seasons on the CBS network from September 26, 1964 to September 4, 1967. It was sponsored by Philip Morris & Company and Procter & Gamble. The show followed the comic adventures of seven castaways, a representative microcosm of white American society, as they attempted to escape from a previously uninhabited island where they were shipwrecked and stranded.Gilligan's Island ran for a total of 98 episodes. The first 36 episodes in season one were filmed and shown in black-and-white with the remaining 62 episodes throughout the next two seasons and three TV movie sequels filmed in color. Enjoying solid ratings during its original run, the show grew enormously in popularity during decades of syndication.
  • Gilligan's Island was an awsome tv show. It is sad there were only three seasons!

Gilligan's Island is, in my opinion, one of the best television series of the Nineteen Sixties. It was a very humorous series and it always made me laugh. It will always be one of my favorite television series. Gilligan was always my favorite character. His comebacks were wonderful and hilarious. His actions were always so FUNNY!!! Bob Denver was definately a great actor. No one could have played Gilligan better than he did. It was always so funny to see their plans to get rescued go up in smoke week after week... after week. Gilligan's Island will always be an iconic series in television history!
  • "Now this is the story of our castaways, they're here for a long long time". "They'll have to make the best of things, it's an uphill climb". Those were the days and what a crack-up of a theme song?

They're such great characters on this retro fun-fest, with the canned laughter just as funny as the story lines. I used to rush home from school every weekday to see if this time they'd actually make it off that Island. With my innocent youth now far behind me, I still even now I still think it rates as one of the funniest TV series of all time. Characters you actually cared about and a show so wonderfully vaudeville that a treatment of any of todays digital effects would have just lessened the side splitting joy I get seeing it done so crudely. Nothing like seeing the tropics in black & white. Love this classic!
  • This show is absolutely classic. Nuff said.

I think the fact that this show is still funny after forty years is a testament to just how great it really is. Granted it's a bit campy and there are some rather gaping plotholes (radio made from a coconut, but can't patch a hole in the boat?) but you can't help but love it. The show is really zany when you think of all the contrivances that the writer's created to get the castaways so close to getting off the island so many times. In its own time, probably one of the most original ideas for a sitcom. Despite its flaws, this show is truly a classic and I have yet to meet a person who doesn't like it.
  • This is the show that taught MacGyver and the A-Team how to be resourceful, and gave CBS the idea for their comic blockbuster, Survivor.

This is the epitome of the sitcom. No show is more comedic, and what a situation these characters find themselves in! Such a diverse group of passengers on the same three-hour cruise, can you imagine? Suspend your disbelief and fasten your life preservers, because this show is always one heck of a laugh. Of course Gilligan is a favorite, but I always wanted to be the professor, makin' crazy stuff out of grass reeds and coconut shells and completely uninterested in the women cooing over him. I know it sounds mean, but deep down inside I never wanted that lovable group of castaways to find their way off the island, because they were already stranded in my heart.
  • The writers did quite a bit with the limit of a deserted island. I loved the humor and the clean fun of this show. The cast worked well together and make the show enjoyable for children and adults alike.

I grew up watching Gilligans Island with my brothers. The show is very entertaining and fun in a silly sort of way. I loved the original cast and felt they had great chemistry. The show was dropped unexpectantly. Don't know the reason for that. I think the cast could have continued with this show for many more seasons. I do wish the show was accessible on re-runs though. I have a satellite and cannot pick up old episodes of the show. I did always wonder why the Professor could rig up so many interesting devices with local produce (coconuts, bananas, etc.) but couldn't ever find a way to get the boat repaired so they could leave the island. And, why did they all have so much luggage, clothes, etc. when they were only going on a "three hour tour"? Ah, those were the days............
  • Better than Lost.

Gilligan's Island is intelligent when compared to Lost. On Episode One of Gilligan's Island, the castaways secure water and a food supply while developing plans to get rescued. Then they explore the Island and use the Minnow as a temporary shelter.

In Lost, the characters run around like chickens and randomly go in and out of the forest to be attacked by 'something not in the special effect budget.'

In episode 2 of Gilligan's Island the castaways build more permanent dwellings, begin storing supplies and water, and realize that their greatest resource is each other. Lost still hasn't attmpted to aid would-be rescuers, nor build shelters, nor explore the perifery of the island, nor secure food or water, and are at best suspicious of each other.

Heck early on in Gilligan's Island the professor teaches the castaways first aide. On Lost, the doctor is the sole bastion of medical knowledge to create drama through the threat of the possability of losing the doctor. The devices of drama used in Lost are transparent and I quickly grew tired of the way the show piled on the mystery and drama without resolving anything. Also, the characters in Gilligan's Island are just plain nice.
  • the weather started geting rough the tiny ship was tossed if not for the fearless crew the minnow would be lost the minnow would be lost the ship sunk ground on the shore of an unchartered desert ile.

this is completely hillarious gilligan is so stupid and the skipper is always hiting him with his hat the skipper is also the strong one mr howel has a lot of money and si always saying that teh howels are better than everyone also everyone cares about money and si tring to bribe headhunters
    mrs howel is mr howels wife she of course isn't the sharpest tool in the shed ginger is a movie star that is always hiting on everyone to get her way mary ann lived on a farm and is also the smallest person on the island
  • One of my favorite classic comedy shows.

Gilligan's Island is a great comedy.Some of the humor is pretty simple,and at times out to lunch.Gilligan being the funniest one on the island.Gilligan is the island's stupid one.Like all classic comedys theres always a stupid one that makes the show funny.I believe the show was made with a few thousand dollars,cause alot of the backgrounds,and in show things look like there pretty well out of the dallor store or something.However,with that said that doesn't make the show any better or any worst,cause the storys and the humor over write the little flaws in the show.Its a great classic that should never to canceled.
  • 7 Castaways are stranded on an uncharted island. These castaways are Gilligan, (the first mate) the Skipper, millionaires Mr. and Mrs. Howell, Ginger Foutley (a movie star), a farm girl named Marianne and a Professor. The series shows their failed attempt

This show is no doubt one of the best cancelled shows out there. The set is very well made, and for a 60's sitcom, it really DID look like the castaways were on an island. Most of the actors were funny and were able to say and do funny things that livened the show up. On some occassions, someone else wound up on the island with the castaways and managed to escape, only to forget or not tell everyone when they get back to civilization about the island. Probably the funnest part of the show is seeing the castaways attempt to get off the island. It turns into a guessing game when they have a plan to get off the island. No matter how good that plan is and no matter how easy it is to do, the show keeps you guessing "How will they mess this one up?". (it's mostly Gilligan who foils everything) This is probably the greatest cancelled show for CBS and remains a classic to this very day.
  • This show is my all time favorite.

I have watched Gilligan's Island since I was old enough to laugh. I have seen every episode at least 20 times (that number could be low). My favorite episode is the one where the Mosquitoes visit the island. When I was younger I loved that kind of music. As I have grown older though, My music love is Country.
  • Absolutely Classic!@

What else can you say about a TV show that you can recite word-for-word, watch every single episode over and over and over...and still laugh your butt off?! Just sit right back and I'll tell you. This is a classic example of what great television was, is, and should be.
  • i love this show . it so cool . its a good a idea that their remking it

i love this show . it so cool . its a good a idea that their remaking it. their no more show like this so classic. again i say i love this show . it so cool . its a good a idea that their remaking it. their no more show like this so classic.
< 1 2