Gilligan's Island

CBS (ended 1967)

Carolee99

Gilligan's Island Fan Reviews (55)

• This is the show that taught MacGyver and the A-Team how to be resourceful, and gave CBS the idea for their comic blockbuster, Survivor.

This is the epitome of the sitcom. No show is more comedic, and what a situation these characters find themselves in! Such a diverse group of passengers on the same three-hour cruise, can you imagine? Suspend your disbelief and fasten your life preservers, because this show is always one heck of a laugh. Of course Gilligan is a favorite, but I always wanted to be the professor, makin' crazy stuff out of grass reeds and coconut shells and completely uninterested in the women cooing over him. I know it sounds mean, but deep down inside I never wanted that lovable group of castaways to find their way off the island, because they were already stranded in my heart.
  • One Of Those Crazy Comedies Of The 1960's!

O.k. after the 3 hour tour, the ocean getting rough, and the grounded on the shore of this,the fun begains.
    Bob Denver plays the lovable bumbling first mate Gilligan, Alan Hale does a great job as the Skipper of the S.S. Minnow,and the passengers Jim Bacus and Natalie Schafer as Millionare Thurston Howell III,and wife Lovey,Tina Lousie as movie star Ginger Grant,Russal Simmons as Roy Hinkley better known as the Professor and Dawn Welles as Mary Ann Summers.
    The plots of the show was simply Gilligan got into trouble somehow, or the occansional guest star somehow tries tohelp our heros off the Island, but always seem to fail in the last moment.
    The series never won any awards but won he hearts of many People.
  • i love this show . it so cool . its a good a idea that their remking it

i love this show . it so cool . its a good a idea that their remaking it. their no more show like this so classic. again i say i love this show . it so cool . its a good a idea that their remaking it. their no more show like this so classic.
  • This show is my all time favorite.

I have watched Gilligan's Island since I was old enough to laugh. I have seen every episode at least 20 times (that number could be low). My favorite episode is the one where the Mosquitoes visit the island. When I was younger I loved that kind of music. As I have grown older though, My music love is Country.
  • This show is absolutely classic. Nuff said.

I think the fact that this show is still funny after forty years is a testament to just how great it really is. Granted it's a bit campy and there are some rather gaping plotholes (radio made from a coconut, but can't patch a hole in the boat?) but you can't help but love it. The show is really zany when you think of all the contrivances that the writer's created to get the castaways so close to getting off the island so many times. In its own time, probably one of the most original ideas for a sitcom. Despite its flaws, this show is truly a classic and I have yet to meet a person who doesn't like it.
  • 7 Castaways are stranded on an uncharted island. These castaways are Gilligan, (the first mate) the Skipper, millionaires Mr. and Mrs. Howell, Ginger Foutley (a movie star), a farm girl named Marianne and a Professor. The series shows their failed attempt

This show is no doubt one of the best cancelled shows out there. The set is very well made, and for a 60's sitcom, it really DID look like the castaways were on an island. Most of the actors were funny and were able to say and do funny things that livened the show up. On some occassions, someone else wound up on the island with the castaways and managed to escape, only to forget or not tell everyone when they get back to civilization about the island. Probably the funnest part of the show is seeing the castaways attempt to get off the island. It turns into a guessing game when they have a plan to get off the island. No matter how good that plan is and no matter how easy it is to do, the show keeps you guessing "How will they mess this one up?". (it's mostly Gilligan who foils everything) This is probably the greatest cancelled show for CBS and remains a classic to this very day.
  • Absolutely Classic!@

What else can you say about a TV show that you can recite word-for-word, watch every single episode over and over and over...and still laugh your butt off?! Just sit right back and I'll tell you. This is a classic example of what great television was, is, and should be.
  • I love the idea of living on an island without modern conveniences.

I really love getting away from society and just enjoy the pleasures of seeing those who can survive without electricity, with the exception of Mr. Howell's radio, build their own bamboo water pipes and all those of the Professor's creations. I love the bond of a true family among the Castaways and how they work through their differences. They show good faith and trust toward each other, which we sadly miss out on today. When they were temporarily rescued, one can see how the world has gone from moral to immoral. It reminds one how great they've been to each other and how much happier we can all be without the unnecessary stress we put on ourselves and on those around us. I feel the show puts out a really positive message, in that sense. The humor in it is just as healthy.
  • An all-time classic

This show has been off the air for nearly thirty years and made less than a hundred episodes, yet it has been shown somewhere every single dayfor as long as I can remember. It has been the punchline for countless jokes yet remains one of the most beloved series of all time. I love this show, yet I don't know why. It's just one of those shows that, much like The Brady Bunch, is part of our lives and our culture.
  • Loved it, Grew up watching it.

I grew up on the reruns of this series,and I must say I love it. It was a very unique idea for a series, and the idea was carried out very well. What I especially enjoy about it is the Laurel and Hardy like relationship between Gilligan and the Skipper. Everyone associated with the series should be proud of it, and I do believe they were done wrong by the CBS network when they were canceled before a final "rescue" episode. All we ended up with was a not as good "rescue" movie that wasn't done very well ( but i really do like the idea of going out with a bang...moive ), and that we had to wait twelve years for on top of that. Thank goodness we still have the old reruns, where we can look in on our stranded friends, and the same old episodes never seem to get old. And also let othe generations see how a comedy is suposed to be... Its A classic.
  • MY FAVORITE TV SHOW

Sherwood Shwartz is a great writer Gilligan is the funniest most clever tv show and it sends u a message of survival. Gilligan the kooky sailor may Bob Denver rest in peace........The skipper hoo was 1 of my favorite characters may alan hale rest in peace The proffesor the man hoo made a lie ditector lol another 1 of my favs Ginger the sex appeal Marriyanne the farm girl and the howeels the back bone to the group that were hilarious may Natilee shaefer and Jim Bacheous rest in peace
  • Ahead of the times!

Gilligan ruled the world!
  • This is one of the most timeless comedies ever made. Unlike MASH, which very quickly turned from comedy to social commentary, Gilligan was a very humorous show from year one through year 3.

Gilligan's Island is one of the very fews that actually got better with each year. Without question, year one is the weakest of the three years. These shows are so timeless that my 10 year-old daughter loves them. I've seen them so many times that I know which episode is being shown in the first 30 seconds. Part of its greatness lies in the complete disparity between the characters. There is no one single funny guy on the show; at times, each one delivers a great one-liner, particularly Thurston and Skipper. If you've ever seen the pilot, you realize how correct they were to eliminate the two nurse characters and replace them with Ginger and Mary Ann. I absolutely love this show and own all three years on DVD.
  • I love this show!

I still catch myself humming to the theme of Gilligan's Island! I love this show, I watched it as I was growing up. Who could of thought a show about people stuck on an island be such a hit? This show always made me laught and I loved each of the characters. My favorite was the Professor always thought he was cute. I wonder if they have it on DVD, I have not looked, but it they do be sure to get it! You will not regret it! This show will always stay dear to my heart because it reminds me of my childhood.
  • Great show

It would be very cool to see a spin off from this show. I always loved it growing up. I\'d love to sede them have a storyline maybe involving children of gilligans island. I\'d write the people inolved in the rights to the show and mention my idea...but I think I would get laughed at or not taken seriously.
  • "Gilligan's Island"

This show was funny and stupid at the same time, it was a good show on people lost on a unincharted island. Gilligan was so funny when he was with the skipper it put a smile on my face when i watched it. it got to be funny even when they said nothing.
  • why was this show so popular. it makes ablsoulty no sence what so ever.

this show made ablsoulty no sence. how could they make exersise macines and radios and pies and other studd like that if they cant even build a boat. and why did all those people always get on the island. couldnt they get off with those people. basically i hate this show and it's not funny and its a complite waste of time.
  • Nightare of a Hamster Wheel!!!

Sorry but shows like Lost in Space with Dr Smith and Gilligans Island where no one can get anywhere cos some dumb a$$ keeps screwing up drive me INSANE!!! I do still recall the theme song though! Very catchy in a dastardly way... And til this day whenever I get in a lift I look at whoever is in their with me and wonder should the elevator break down... If these will be teh crew of my old Gilligan\'s Island. There\'s a show for you seven people stuck in a lift shaft... PS: Wasn\'t that Baccus guy in Rebel Without A Cause? Did he do any other comedies???
  • Classic.

This show is awesome. So much better than The Real Gilligans Island. The Real Gilligans Island is intresting, but it does not compare with the original show. The difference? This was an adventure. The other is an elimentation game where contestants who like the characters from the original show try to get rescued. Overall, the original is better.
  • This Show is about people who end up on an Island.

wow i like, so love this show. it makes me laugh out loud. you should be wacting this already. i mean it. this show is really really funny and cool. it is like a blast from the past. i started to watch this when i was really little and i still am.
  • OK, so not technical the best writing or acting but c'mon! This show rocks!

7.9
    This is one of my favorite shows ever. I don't care how old I get or how many times I've seen each episode I still end up laughing. The whole premise is surprisingly simplistic. Seven people stranded on a desert island. If it were to be done today it would be quite depressing as we would see all the problems and personal issues amoung each character. Lucky for us this was made in the 60s when comedy was comedy.
  • A show about people stranded on a deserted island after their boat is shipwrecked.

I know why I watched ... for Mary Anne and her cute little outfits. The show itself had a silly premise and a lot of overacting. Several people came and went from the island without ever helping the castaways get home themselves.

Lots of crazy stunts and everything that could go wrong did go wrong. Bob Denver stared as Gilligan and Alan Hale Jr. played the Skipper Jonas Grumby. Natalie Schafer and Jim Backus played a married couple that happend to be millionaires. Russell Johnson played the Professor Roy Hinkley, Jr. The eye candy on the island was the two young ladies. Tina Louise played a movies star named Ginger Grant and Dawn Wells was the cute Mary Ann Summers.
  • This show is about 7 stranded castaways who have found the courage to work together and became great friends over the years of being stranded on a small island

This is like the best show on earth. Ever since I was young enough to know what tv is I have watched it with interest. The whole \"stranded on an island and who knows when we will ever get off\" has struck me with interest. I was always like well can\'t they just swim off or something but i guess its not that simple. And the characters are just amazing all of them really . So very different yet they grow on each other and learn to work together and get along it is to sweet. Best show ever 10 out of 10 stars.
  • About a group of people who are shipwrecked on a deserted island and can't find a way off.

Although this show was already off the air before I was born I use to always watch the reruns with my grandmother. It was one of my favorites and I just loved Ginger. I had always wondered if they'd ever get off the island, and later when I stopped seeing the old reruns I wondered how did the professor create all those things but couldn't create a boat to get them off the island?
  • Gilligan's Island was a great show, with an amazing cast

Gilligan's Island was about 7 unlikey castaways, two rich people (Mr & Mrs Howell) a movie star (Ginger), a professor, a skipper, a first mate, and whatever Mary Ann did I can't remember. Anyways the main plot of the show always invloved them trying to get off of the island, and every time they come close Gilligan somehow messes it up. The show was very funny and even though it was on and off before I was born, I still enjoy the reruns from time to time.

Overall: a great show with an all star-cast.

• a show that makes you ask more questions when the show is over.

6.8
    why would the Howels bring all there money? why would they be on a small boat when they had like house boats bigger than the buildings? why did they bring brandy and another expense drinks? why did ginger bring millions of outfits then skiper and gillan almost lived on the boat and only had the cloths on their backs? can the perfessor know a little about everything? what was a kansas girl doing at the ocean? how come the huts looking huge on the inside but, tiny on the outside? how could radio waves come clearly to the island and one doesn't work just out on your back porch?

this is to name a few. and the quessing is why it's a classic.
  • Gilligan's Island was an American TV sitcom which aired on CBS from September 26 1964 to September 4 1967 for 98 episodes. The first 36 episodes were filmed in black-and-white; the remaining 62 episodes and the three sequels were filmed in color. <

Gilligan, of the show's title, was the hapless first mate of the S.S. Minnow. Other characters are the Skipper (referred to as Jonas Grumby in the first broadcast episode), the Professor (referred to twice as Roy Hinkley), the millionaire Thurston J. Howell III and his wife Eunice, nicknamed Lovey, movie star Ginger Grant, and Kansas farm girl Mary Ann Summers.

Bob Denver was not the first choice to play Gilligan. Actor Jerry Van Dyke was offered the role, but he turned it down, believing that the show would never make it. He choose instead to play the lead in "My Mother, the Car". The producers then looked to the lovable beatnik, Maynard G. Krebbs from the The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis. Denver embraced the role.

Alan Hale, Jr. both embodied and relished the role of the Skipper. A long time actor in B-westerns, Hale so loved his role as the Skipper, that long after the show was off the air, he would still appear in character in his Hollywood restaurant.

Jim Backus was well known by the time he took the role of the Millionaire, Thurston Howell, III. He was perhaps best known as the voice of the cartoon character Mr. Magoo. He used some of the voice inflections and mannerisms of Magoo in the role of the Millionaire. He was well known for his ad-libs on the set.

Natalie Schafer had it written into her contract that there were to be NO close-ups of her during filming. This was perhaps due to her advanced age. She was 62 when the pilot was shot. Reportedly, no one on the set or in the cast knew her real age, and she refused to divulge that information. Originally she only accepted the role because the pilot was filmed on location in Hawaii, and she looked at the job as nothing more than a free vacation as she was convinced that a show this silly would never get on the air.

Tina Louise, as the character of Ginger Grant, created a version of the quintessential Hollywood star and even her name, an amalgam of Ginger Rogers and Cary Grant, was a homage to Hollywood's past. When regular shooting began, Tina Louise clashed with producers, because she believed she was the main focus of the show, despite it being titled "Gilligan's Island". In addition, her character was originally written as a sarcastic and sharp-tongued temptress but Louise argued that this type of character was too extreme and refused to play it as written. A compromise was reached and Louise agreed to play her as a cross between Marilyn Monroe and Lucille Ball. The evening gowns and hair style used was designed to recreate the look of Myrna Loy. Louise continued to clash with producers and was the only cast member who refused to return for any of the TV movies that followed the series cancellation, saying that the role had destroyed her career as a serious actress. However after the series ended she did appear in a reunion of the series cast on a late night TV talk show.

Dawn Wells was a former Miss Nevada when she auditioned for the role of Mary Ann. Her competition included Raquel Welch. She was part of the replacement cast that was hired after the pilot was shot and the network wanted the roles of the professor and the 2 girls recast.

Russell Johnson took over the role of the Professor from John Gabriel. The network thought Gabriel looked too young to have all the degrees attributed to the professor. Ironically the Professor was in reality just a high-school science teacher, not a University professor.

Charles Maxwell was the uncredited voice of the "Radio Announcer", whose plot-advancing radio bulletins were eagerly tuned in to by the castaways in many episodes.

• Oh Gilligan

Its year3 of a 3 hour tour and that means the end of civilization as we know it or at least the end of the serioes that wend on to unending success in repeat viewings across the generations. Join the fun as Gilligan dreams hes dracula, the group puts on Hamlet mary ann insists shes Ginger and Gilligan becomes Mrs. Howells fairy godfather. Enjoy these hijinks and more in 30 episodes that helped make us all what we are today, a bunch of nuts.
  • A group of people end up stranded on an Island with no communication whatsoever.

I wish Gilligan’s Island never left television. I love how Gilligan always tried to help the Skipper out or when he’d do his own little things, he always end up messing something up. How they both slept in a hammock gave me a longing feeling for sleeping in one every night. Those things look really comfortable. Gilligan’s Island is a show that will remain in television history for years to come. Other may try, but it can never be duplicated. We will never forget the silliness of Gilligan, or the persistence and knowledge from the Skipper. Or perhaps the nifty inventions created by the Professor or the charming cuteness of Mary Ann. I know I’ll never forget the materialism of both the movie star and the millionaires. A Memorable show that is worth more than a thousand words or maybe more.
  • It\'s not real

5.9
    This show is terrible in my opinion. I liked it up until i found out that it was not shot on a real island. Unlike modern shows this show just has a backdrop to make it seem like they are shipwrecked that got me angry. I say that we should all boycott the show so they stop running the reruns. I have nothing else to say about this hideous disgusting misleading show!
< 1 2