Gilligan's Island

CBS (ended 1967)

Carolee99

Gilligan's Island Fan Reviews (55)

• It\'s not real

5.9
    This show is terrible in my opinion. I liked it up until i found out that it was not shot on a real island. Unlike modern shows this show just has a backdrop to make it seem like they are shipwrecked that got me angry. I say that we should all boycott the show so they stop running the reruns. I have nothing else to say about this hideous disgusting misleading show!
  • Nightare of a Hamster Wheel!!!

Sorry but shows like Lost in Space with Dr Smith and Gilligans Island where no one can get anywhere cos some dumb a$$ keeps screwing up drive me INSANE!!! I do still recall the theme song though! Very catchy in a dastardly way... And til this day whenever I get in a lift I look at whoever is in their with me and wonder should the elevator break down... If these will be teh crew of my old Gilligan\'s Island. There\'s a show for you seven people stuck in a lift shaft... PS: Wasn\'t that Baccus guy in Rebel Without A Cause? Did he do any other comedies???
  • why was this show so popular. it makes ablsoulty no sence what so ever.

this show made ablsoulty no sence. how could they make exersise macines and radios and pies and other studd like that if they cant even build a boat. and why did all those people always get on the island. couldnt they get off with those people. basically i hate this show and it's not funny and its a complite waste of time.
  • Better than Lost.

Gilligan's Island is intelligent when compared to Lost. On Episode One of Gilligan's Island, the castaways secure water and a food supply while developing plans to get rescued. Then they explore the Island and use the Minnow as a temporary shelter.

In Lost, the characters run around like chickens and randomly go in and out of the forest to be attacked by 'something not in the special effect budget.'

In episode 2 of Gilligan's Island the castaways build more permanent dwellings, begin storing supplies and water, and realize that their greatest resource is each other. Lost still hasn't attmpted to aid would-be rescuers, nor build shelters, nor explore the perifery of the island, nor secure food or water, and are at best suspicious of each other.

Heck early on in Gilligan's Island the professor teaches the castaways first aide. On Lost, the doctor is the sole bastion of medical knowledge to create drama through the threat of the possability of losing the doctor. The devices of drama used in Lost are transparent and I quickly grew tired of the way the show piled on the mystery and drama without resolving anything. Also, the characters in Gilligan's Island are just plain nice.
  • A show about people stranded on a deserted island after their boat is shipwrecked.

I know why I watched ... for Mary Anne and her cute little outfits. The show itself had a silly premise and a lot of overacting. Several people came and went from the island without ever helping the castaways get home themselves.

Lots of crazy stunts and everything that could go wrong did go wrong. Bob Denver stared as Gilligan and Alan Hale Jr. played the Skipper Jonas Grumby. Natalie Schafer and Jim Backus played a married couple that happend to be millionaires. Russell Johnson played the Professor Roy Hinkley, Jr. The eye candy on the island was the two young ladies. Tina Louise played a movies star named Ginger Grant and Dawn Wells was the cute Mary Ann Summers.
  • a show that makes you ask more questions when the show is over.

6.8
    why would the Howels bring all there money? why would they be on a small boat when they had like house boats bigger than the buildings? why did they bring brandy and another expense drinks? why did ginger bring millions of outfits then skiper and gillan almost lived on the boat and only had the cloths on their backs? can the perfessor know a little about everything? what was a kansas girl doing at the ocean? how come the huts looking huge on the inside but, tiny on the outside? how could radio waves come clearly to the island and one doesn't work just out on your back porch?

this is to name a few. and the quessing is why it's a classic.
  • As a kid I liked the show - good empty headed nonsensical fun.

6.9
    After all those years on the Island I wonder if Maryann and the Professor ever, ya know, do it? What about Ginger and the Professor? Was there a love triangle there that was never explored? I know the Howells were pretty much dried up old husks by the time they reached the Island so we know there probably wasnt much going on since those bamboo hut walls wouldve given them away.

And what about Gilligan? Did he ever score? I know some people think when Skipper called Gilligan "his little buddy" it was more than just a platonic relationship. At first I dismissed this entirely, but then again you just never know - look at Grey's Anatomy.

Now if Gilligan had just found that darn hatch and hadnt lost that lottery ticket with the numbers 4-8-15-16-23-42 on it.... or perhaps he did.... "Gilligan: The Untold Story of the Founding of the Dharma Initiative"
  • "Gilligan's Island"

This show was funny and stupid at the same time, it was a good show on people lost on a unincharted island. Gilligan was so funny when he was with the skipper it put a smile on my face when i watched it. it got to be funny even when they said nothing.
  • This show is just flat out funny! Yet I haven't seen this show in a long time... But, it was good while it lasted.

7.8
    This show is about how boat crashes during a hurricane and the crew has to live on this island for a long time. Each of the episodes are about how the crew tries to make a plan to get off the island. The planes never work though. Gilligan is always getting in trouble for not doing anything right. The Skip always gets mad because, he gets stuck with Gilligan every time. Also on the island is a model a rich man and his wife and a scientist. The scientist always tries to find away to get off the island with his technological ideas, none of them ever work. Just flat out funny and must see.
  • OK, so not technical the best writing or acting but c'mon! This show rocks!

7.9
    This is one of my favorite shows ever. I don't care how old I get or how many times I've seen each episode I still end up laughing. The whole premise is surprisingly simplistic. Seven people stranded on a desert island. If it were to be done today it would be quite depressing as we would see all the problems and personal issues amoung each character. Lucky for us this was made in the 60s when comedy was comedy.
  • I loved this show as kid. i used to watch it everyday on channel 19 in cincinnati.

how to review a pop culture icon? i won't even try. i will simply write about the hours of entertainment this show gave me when i was a kid. i loved this show when i was little and never missed its afternoon airings. the sheer and total silliness of it always put me in a good mood. now that i am grown up i will catch it in reruns whenever i can. i am giving serious thought to getting the dvds for sheer nostalgia sake. i often think that tv would be a little grayer and little more bland if not for the ridiculous exploits of gilligan and company
  • An all-time classic

This show has been off the air for nearly thirty years and made less than a hundred episodes, yet it has been shown somewhere every single dayfor as long as I can remember. It has been the punchline for countless jokes yet remains one of the most beloved series of all time. I love this show, yet I don't know why. It's just one of those shows that, much like The Brady Bunch, is part of our lives and our culture.
  • About a group of people who are shipwrecked on a deserted island and can't find a way off.

Although this show was already off the air before I was born I use to always watch the reruns with my grandmother. It was one of my favorites and I just loved Ginger. I had always wondered if they'd ever get off the island, and later when I stopped seeing the old reruns I wondered how did the professor create all those things but couldn't create a boat to get them off the island?
  • Philosophy 101 and Gilligan's Island

Being shipwrecked on a deserted island with a bunch of strangers hardly sounds like a funny situation, but Gilligan is no ordinary guy. Through his childlike simplicity, he touches the lives of each castaway in a way that brings humor to a desperate existence.

There are a lot of great things to be philosophical about from Gilligan's Island. We could put together an "Everything I need to know for life I learned from Gillian's Island" list. We learn not to take ourselves too seriously. We learn to give others the benefit of a doubt. We learn to think the best of those around us. We learn that everyone has an important contribution to make. We learn to laugh at ourselves and encourage those who are hurting. The list could go on and on. In short, we need more "Gilligans" in the world today. May their tribe increase.
  • One of my favoites.

Gilligan's Island is an American TV sitcom originally produced by United Artists Television. It aired for three seasons on the CBS network from September 26, 1964 to September 4, 1967. It was sponsored by Philip Morris & Company and Procter & Gamble. The show followed the comic adventures of seven castaways, a representative microcosm of white American society, as they attempted to escape from a previously uninhabited island where they were shipwrecked and stranded.Gilligan's Island ran for a total of 98 episodes. The first 36 episodes in season one were filmed and shown in black-and-white with the remaining 62 episodes throughout the next two seasons and three TV movie sequels filmed in color. Enjoying solid ratings during its original run, the show grew enormously in popularity during decades of syndication.
  • "Now this is the story of our castaways, they're here for a long long time". "They'll have to make the best of things, it's an uphill climb". Those were the days and what a crack-up of a theme song?

They're such great characters on this retro fun-fest, with the canned laughter just as funny as the story lines. I used to rush home from school every weekday to see if this time they'd actually make it off that Island. With my innocent youth now far behind me, I still even now I still think it rates as one of the funniest TV series of all time. Characters you actually cared about and a show so wonderfully vaudeville that a treatment of any of todays digital effects would have just lessened the side splitting joy I get seeing it done so crudely. Nothing like seeing the tropics in black & white. Love this classic!
  • This show is absolutely classic. Nuff said.

I think the fact that this show is still funny after forty years is a testament to just how great it really is. Granted it's a bit campy and there are some rather gaping plotholes (radio made from a coconut, but can't patch a hole in the boat?) but you can't help but love it. The show is really zany when you think of all the contrivances that the writer's created to get the castaways so close to getting off the island so many times. In its own time, probably one of the most original ideas for a sitcom. Despite its flaws, this show is truly a classic and I have yet to meet a person who doesn't like it.
  • the weather started geting rough the tiny ship was tossed if not for the fearless crew the minnow would be lost the minnow would be lost the ship sunk ground on the shore of an unchartered desert ile.

this is completely hillarious gilligan is so stupid and the skipper is always hiting him with his hat the skipper is also the strong one mr howel has a lot of money and si always saying that teh howels are better than everyone also everyone cares about money and si tring to bribe headhunters
    mrs howel is mr howels wife she of course isn't the sharpest tool in the shed ginger is a movie star that is always hiting on everyone to get her way mary ann lived on a farm and is also the smallest person on the island
  • One of my favorite classic comedy shows.

Gilligan's Island is a great comedy.Some of the humor is pretty simple,and at times out to lunch.Gilligan being the funniest one on the island.Gilligan is the island's stupid one.Like all classic comedys theres always a stupid one that makes the show funny.I believe the show was made with a few thousand dollars,cause alot of the backgrounds,and in show things look like there pretty well out of the dallor store or something.However,with that said that doesn't make the show any better or any worst,cause the storys and the humor over write the little flaws in the show.Its a great classic that should never to canceled.
  • 7 Castaways are stranded on an uncharted island. These castaways are Gilligan, (the first mate) the Skipper, millionaires Mr. and Mrs. Howell, Ginger Foutley (a movie star), a farm girl named Marianne and a Professor. The series shows their failed attempt

This show is no doubt one of the best cancelled shows out there. The set is very well made, and for a 60's sitcom, it really DID look like the castaways were on an island. Most of the actors were funny and were able to say and do funny things that livened the show up. On some occassions, someone else wound up on the island with the castaways and managed to escape, only to forget or not tell everyone when they get back to civilization about the island. Probably the funnest part of the show is seeing the castaways attempt to get off the island. It turns into a guessing game when they have a plan to get off the island. No matter how good that plan is and no matter how easy it is to do, the show keeps you guessing "How will they mess this one up?". (it's mostly Gilligan who foils everything) This is probably the greatest cancelled show for CBS and remains a classic to this very day.
  • This show is my all time favorite.

I have watched Gilligan's Island since I was old enough to laugh. I have seen every episode at least 20 times (that number could be low). My favorite episode is the one where the Mosquitoes visit the island. When I was younger I loved that kind of music. As I have grown older though, My music love is Country.
  • Absolutely Classic!@

What else can you say about a TV show that you can recite word-for-word, watch every single episode over and over and over...and still laugh your butt off?! Just sit right back and I'll tell you. This is a classic example of what great television was, is, and should be.
  • i love this show . it so cool . its a good a idea that their remking it

i love this show . it so cool . its a good a idea that their remaking it. their no more show like this so classic. again i say i love this show . it so cool . its a good a idea that their remaking it. their no more show like this so classic.
  • Love it

I used to watch this every single day when I was little. When it would come on I would turn up the television really loud so my family would know it was on, and we would all watch it. The only episode I never saw was the vampire bat on, because my parents always flipped to another channel, because we were 7 and 3, and really wimpy kids. I miss this show, and I wish I knew where it came on television. It was my favorite show back then, and I want to see even one more episode. Cute, funny show. Loved it! :)
  • One of my family's favorites!

My dad used to watch this show with his siblings every day when he got back from school. When this show premiered on Nick-at-Nite when I was about 6 or 7, I started watching it with my siblings and we also liked it! And when I had just finished 6th grade, we bought the 2nd Season of this show on DVD and we liked it a lot! My favorite episode of the series is probably the one where Gilligan got bit by that yellow-and-green bug (Gilligan Gets Bugged). If not, probably the 2nd to last episode with the exploding clay. Anyway, I wish this show were still on the air, at least on TV Land. I would watch it all the time! Good thing we have the entire series on DVD (including the first movie).
  • Gilligan's Island tought peopple. Seven different people stranded on an uncharted island with no way of getting off had to learn to live with each other, understand each other, and most important they learned how to put up with different kinds of people.

Gilligan\\\'s Island was a funny show. There was always something going on, on that crazy island. This was a great show that was produced by a great producer, Sherwood Schwartz. He took an idea and made it into Gilligan\\\'s Island. Just one idea became a hit TV show. Gilligan\\\'s Island lasted 3 great years in the 60\\\'s. Sherwood Schwartz then made The Real Gilligan\\\'s Island, with realy million aiers. The Real Gilligan\\\'s Island didn\\\'t last to long on air. While some people loved the idea of The Real Gilligan\\\'S Island more people didn\\\'t like it. It was finialy taken off the air in 2004.
  • Why Gilligan's Island Appeals To The kid In All of Us

While this show was on, the TV Executives did everything they could to kill this show that everyone loved. They moved it all over the schedule to no avail, but the fans faithfully followed it. It finally took one dreadful mistake to drag Gunsmoke on for a little while longer to finally kill the show. Since then, the show has become a cult hit; now what does that tell you ? That fans really do love the cartoony characters as they learn life's little foibles and lessons the hard way. Gilligan has since become the patron god for all guys with a Peter Pan complex who strive to hold on to their youth, and Skipper Jonas Grumby has become the boss or parent we would all prefer as he hands out chores and punishments with a smile on his face and laughter in his heart. Thurston and Lovee Howell have since become the first images we think of when we picture wealth, prosperity and happiness, and Professor Roy Hinkley is the teacher we would all want who knows his facts and figures and the calmness to explain them. He is criticized for not being able to build a boat, but how many boats do we know he may have tried repeatedly times between episodes ? The show was also made special by the beautiful visages of Ginger Grant and Mary Anne Sommers. Although Ginger probably intimidated a lot more guys than she claims to have dated, I think it was Mary Anne with her quiet innocence and girl-next-door attraction that made her the odds on favorite "babe" of the show. The series itself was excellant escapist fun that didn't need to be analyzed. It was created to entertain, and it did that wonderfully well.
  • This is such a great show!

I miss Gilligan's Island. It's never on anymore and I wish that one of the channels would bring it back. The last time I saw this show was at least five years ago. I love how every time they are about to getoff the Island, Gilligan ruins it. I'm still trying to figure out how Gilligan was able to fly like that on that one episode. All the characters are great and I don't understand the show sometimes because it is silly, but still very fun to watch. Everyone in my family loves Gilligan's Island. Honestly, someone shou;d bring it back!
  • Oh Gilligan

Its year3 of a 3 hour tour and that means the end of civilization as we know it or at least the end of the serioes that wend on to unending success in repeat viewings across the generations. Join the fun as Gilligan dreams hes dracula, the group puts on Hamlet mary ann insists shes Ginger and Gilligan becomes Mrs. Howells fairy godfather. Enjoy these hijinks and more in 30 episodes that helped make us all what we are today, a bunch of nuts.
  • Gilligan's Island was a great show, with an amazing cast

Gilligan's Island was about 7 unlikey castaways, two rich people (Mr & Mrs Howell) a movie star (Ginger), a professor, a skipper, a first mate, and whatever Mary Ann did I can't remember. Anyways the main plot of the show always invloved them trying to get off of the island, and every time they come close Gilligan somehow messes it up. The show was very funny and even though it was on and off before I was born, I still enjoy the reruns from time to time.

Overall: a great show with an all star-cast.

< 1 2