Gilmore Girls Forums

The WB (ended 2007)

Chris or Luke??

jonesk1981

[121]Aug 25, 2006
    • level: 7
    silverq21 wrote:
    jonesk1981 wrote:

I know Luke has been dumb lately, but just remember, Christopher has made tons of mistakes too.  (i.e. absent from daughters life for 21 years)  Also, wouldn't you want Lorelai to be with who makes her happy.  I don't think anyone can honestly say, after watching the finale, that Chris is the one she wants.  If they did, then they either watched a completely different version of the finale, or their blind.  The look on her face at the end...are you telling me you'd want her with somebody who makes her feel like that???  She also made it pretty clear that she's never been in love with Chris when she was talking to that psychiatrist.

The thing is, Luke hasn't made her happy for a long time.  Chris didn't make her unhappy, Luke did, and Lorelai went to Chris to feel better. (Which wasn't the best idea while she was still in a relationship.)  Maybe Lorelai isn't right for either of them, but Chris has grown up a lot, and he seems to know Lorelai a lot better than Luke does.  I have to vote Chris.  But Luke isn't a bad guy.  It wouldn't be the end of the world if they ended up together, although he would have a lot of apologizing to do.

Chris doesn't know Lorelai at all as an adult!  He knows her as a 16 year old girl.  I'm not even going to reiterate how well Chris must've been in tune with Lorelai to sleep with her that night, when she was clearly an emotional basketcase.  Chris has made Lorelai unhappy several times during the duration of the show.  But, hey if you really want Lorelai to be with a guy she doesn't love, just because Luke screwed up once, then that's your prerogative.  I personally don't see how anybody that truly cares about Lorelai as a character could possibly want her with Chris.  Especially after having watched Partings.  I can only come to one conclusion:  If you saw Lorelai say Luke was the only guy she's ever loved, if you saw her tell Luke she loved him twice, and if you saw the absolutely stricken, miserable look on her face the next morning when she realized what she'd done with Chris, and still want her to be with Chris, then you really don't care about her.  I'm not trying to be harsh, but that's just how I feel.

Edited on 08/25/2006 5:29pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

eclipse86

[122]Aug 25, 2006
    • level: 4

Chris doesn't know Lorelai at all as an adult!  He knows her as a 16 year old girl.  I'm not even going to reiterate how well Chris must've been in tune with Lorelai to sleep with her that night, when she was clearly an emotional basketcase.  Chris has made Lorelai unhappy several times during the duration of the show.  But, hey if you really want Lorelai to be with a guy she doesn't love, just because Luke screwed up once, then that's your prerogative.  I personally don't see how anybody that truly cares about Lorelai as a character could possibly want her with Chris.  Especially after having watched Partings.  I can only come to one conclusion:  If you saw Lorelai say Luke was the only guy she's ever loved, if you saw her tell Luke she loved him twice, and if you saw the absolutely stricken, miserable look on her face the next morning when she realized what she'd done with Chris, and still want her to be with Chris, then you really don't care about her.  I'm not trying to be harsh, but that's just how I feel.

I agree that Chris doesn't know the Stars Hollow Lorelai. Although I have to admit, that he knows his way around Richard and Emily a lot better than Luke! I also agree that Chris tends to upset Lorelai more than anything else, if this was not the case then why did Rory tell him to stay away last season? And I think the only reason he slept with Lorelai that night was because he is still hung up on her from what happened at the Renewal ceremony and that this is how it should be. Many fans like Lorelai with Chris because he is Rory's father and it makes it all politically correct. If this would have happened when Rory was a little kid or something it may have had more going for it, he could have been around more to help raise her, but it is too late for that, Lorelai should only marry for love now not for Rory's sake, she has no reason not to. Plus how would thier life work if they ended up together? Lorelai wouldn't be able to keep the Inn that is for sure. She would have to leave town because no one would be able to let go of what happened between her and Luke, and plus that town is sooooooooo small it is inevitable that they would constantly run into eachother and cause scenes. Chris would also never feel welcome in Stars Hollow, also he has a job somewhere else and he may not be willing to give that up either.

jonesk1981

[123]Aug 26, 2006

[/QUOTE="jonesk1981"] Chris doesn't know Lorelai at all as an adult!  He knows her as a 16 year old girl.  I'm not even going to reiterate how well Chris must've been in tune with Lorelai to sleep with her that night, when she was clearly an emotional basketcase.  Chris has made Lorelai unhappy several times during the duration of the show.  But, hey if you really want Lorelai to be with a guy she doesn't love, just because Luke screwed up once, then that's your prerogative.  I personally don't see how anybody that truly cares about Lorelai as a character could possibly want her with Chris.  Especially after having watched Partings.  I can only come to one conclusion:  If you saw Lorelai say Luke was the only guy she's ever loved, if you saw her tell Luke she loved him twice, and if you saw the absolutely stricken, miserable look on her face the next morning when she realized what she'd done with Chris, and still want her to be with Chris, then you really don't care about her.  I'm not trying to be harsh, but that's just how I feel. [/QUOTE]

eclipse86 wrote:
    I agree that Chris doesn't know the Stars Hollow Lorelai. Although I have to admit, that he knows his way around Richard and Emily a lot better than Luke! I also agree that Chris tends to upset Lorelai more than anything else, if this was not the case then why did Rory tell him to stay away last season? And I think the only reason he slept with Lorelai that night was because he is still hung up on her from what happened at the Renewal ceremony and that this is how it should be. Many fans like Lorelai with Chris because he is Rory's father and it makes it all politically correct. If this would have happened when Rory was a little kid or something it may have had more going for it, he could have been around more to help raise her, but it is too late for that, Lorelai should only marry for love now not for Rory's sake, she has no reason not to. Plus how would thier life work if they ended up together? Lorelai wouldn't be able to keep the Inn that is for sure. She would have to leave town because no one would be able to let go of what happened between her and Luke, and plus that town is sooooooooo small it is inevitable that they would constantly run into eachother and cause scenes. Chris would also never feel welcome in Stars Hollow, also he has a job somewhere else and he may not be willing to give that up either.

That's true.  But that's because he had a similar childhood.  Only his parents were worse.  The one time we saw Straub, he was like Emily without a heart.  As far as background, Chris and Lorelai do have a lot in common.  I'm not denying that.  But, that means absolutely nothing as to who you should spend your life with.  Personally, I think whenever Chris and Lorelai are together, they retract back to their 16 year old selves.  (i.e. the bathroom scene in the finale.)  it kind of makes me nauseus. 

Your post does bring up a lot of good points.  It just wouldn't be realistic. 

Edited on 08/26/2006 7:29am

eclipse86

[124]Aug 30, 2006
    Now I wonder. Today I saw the sixth season episode where Lor and Chris go to Rory's Journalism pannel and I can honestly say that I like their chemistry. Lor seems to have more fun with Chris than Luke, Luke is more serious and not the goof ball that Chris is. Although I am sure that was what you were referring to with the whole retract to 16 thing, but Lor likes to act totally childish like that and Chris is good a going along with it. I know that it wouldn't be realistic like I pointed out with the Inn and all, but I seem to be torn between Chris and Luke at the moment. I kind of like them both for different reasons.

rengin

[125]Aug 30, 2006
    • level: 10
    Honestly...In first seasons i always wanted them to be together...I liked Chris and i liked the idea of getting marry with your high-school love.But then Luke came up and they totally fit with Lorelai...They are the perfect fit i think...They shared the things which were really awsome and i think the love between them is more than Chris'.Luke loves Lorelai till the first and i think Chris wasn't there when he has to be.He came when unneccesary(forgive if i spelled wrong)

Prowler86Kid

[126]Sep 5, 2006
    • level: 14

In my opinion, it would be Luke. Though if I went through Lorelai's past with them both, I wouldn't be able to decide. Lorelai and Chris are practically the same peron except for the man woman thing. Lorelai and Chris both like to joke around and seem to be like the class clowns whenever they are in public together. Lorelai and Luke however, are both similar also. They have the same thoughts and opinons on things as Emily has pointed out a couple of times. Lorelai has a bond with both of them equally and it's up to her heart to choose the right guy. With both of them she has a great relationship, well, had a great relationship as friends, and as lovers. When she has trouble in her life, she runs to either Chris or Luke, but Luke a little more than Chris. Though Chris has broken her heart a few times and Luke has at least once, that still doesn't change her feelings towards either of them. If she does choose Luke, Chris will always be apart of her life because he is Rory's father and if she chooses Chris Luke will still be part of her life because unless she finds someone with good food and coffee like Luke's Diner and moves in with Chris, they will still run into each other in town. Stars Hollow isn't that big! In the end, it's all up to Lorelai, but I would choose Luke and keep Chris as a friend.

LorelaiSquared

[127]Sep 5, 2006
    • level: 5
    In my opinion, Lorelai belongs with Luke, always has. I don't dislike Chris. In fact back in season 2 when they almost got together I kind of wanted them to. But even then, I never thought it would last, I still thought she'd eventually end up with Luke. The fact is however, that Chris and Lorelai are unresolved. It's obvious that Chris still harbours feelings for Lorelai and I think on some level Lorelai does too. It's not love but I think they almost need to try a relationship in order to realize that it will never work out between them before either of them can truly move on. Lorelai loves Luke, but until she finally has the chance to give it a real go with Chris (I do not believe this will actually work out) I think he will continue to come between Luke and Lorelai. My guess is that, for the first part of the season at least, Chris and Lorelai will try to be together but Lorelai will be miserable because she misses Luke. I think she will ultimately break it off with Chris once and for all and they will both move on their remaining relationship as Rory's parents only.

As far as Luke is concerned I think he will probably try to do the family thing with Anna and April, to try and make that situation right. In the end I think he will realize that he is not happy there and that Lorelai is the one he truly wants. Essentially I think Season 7 will be a bit of an emotional roller coaster, but I have faith that by the end of the season, Luke and Lorelai will be back together.

In Season 6, both Luke and Lorelai made a lot of mistakes in their relationship, mainly Lorelai holding back how she was truly feeling about things and Luke shutting Lorelai out when he found out about April. I also have doubts that Lorelai proposing the way she did (and when she did) was the best thing for either of them. She proposed at a time when she was devastated about loosing her daughter, and although they both wanted to get married I don't think either of them actually wanted it to happen without Rory in the picture - the whole engagement was bittersweet without Rory to share it with. As I watched season 6 I realized that at no point in the season did Lorelai have both her relationship with Rory and her relationship with Luke going well at the same time. When she was at her highest point in her relationship with Luke (mainly the first 8 episodes of season 6) she was miserable about Rory and put off any actual wedding planning until they reconciled. Then, when she and Rory were finally okay again, it happens at the exact same time that Luke finds out about his daughter and starts to shut Lorelai out. When it comes down to it though, I think both Luke and Lorelai are equally responsible for the collapse of their relationship. Luke should have been honest with her from the moment he found out about April, and Lorelai should have been more open about the things that were bothering her. I also think she was right to confront him in the finale - his hedging on the wedding date was ridiculous and unnecessary and he really did not treat Lorelai well for the later half of the season. I mean all he had to do was actually look at her eyes at any point when the topic of April or Wedding Dates came up and it would have been evident what Lorelai was actually feeling, despite what she may have said to the contrary - in the past he always seemed to know when she wasn't being entirely honest with him - he never would have let her get away with it. (I really want to applaud Lauren for her portrayal this year... she truly did a great job at conveying exactly what Lorelai was feeling with her eyes - it was so clear). At the same time I don't think she should have issued such an ultimatum - the first time L&L broke up in Season 5 it was Lorelai pushing too hard that caused Luke to break it off, she must have known he wouldn't have taken an ultimatum well. She didn't give him any time to absorb what she was saying before rushing off and going to Chris which was just plain stupid... even if they hadn't slept together, Chris is a sore point with Luke and going to him at all is only going to cause more problems. There's going to be a lot of healing to do in Season 7 but when it comes down to it, I am positive that Luke and Lorelai are meant to be together and that they will find their way back to each other. That's the only way it should be.

Wow, that was long and rambly - my appologies - I've watched the whole series for the first time over the past 2 weeks (seasons 4, 5 and 6 since Friday) and just finished watching season 6 tonight so I'm still processing it all, I hope what I said makes sense.

LorelaiSquared

[128]Sep 5, 2006
    *bump*

LorelaiSquared

[129]Sep 5, 2006
    If ever there was any doubt that Luke and Lorelai are meant for each other, watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zRaH9ICKrM

mkpsu

[130]Sep 5, 2006
    I do think Luke and Lorelai belong together, and I know ppl hate me for saying this, but I do like Chris too...and I do think that like all the other relationships w/ Chris it will go sour.

telvisnostic

[131]Sep 6, 2006
    • level: 52

mkpsu wrote:
    I do think Luke and Lorelai belong together, and I know ppl hate me for saying this, but I do like Chris too...and I do think that like all the other relationships w/ Chris it will go sour.

I agree.  I personally think she needs a new love interest.

kendralgg

[132]Sep 7, 2006
    Remember everything that comes out of my mouth is my opinion so I would appreciate no one trying to stone me. First of all I like Luke and I like Chris and I notice that some of the people on the forum blame Chris for what happen, but I am sure that Chris didn't rape Lorelai so I don't see how all the blame can be on him. Also some say she was a basketcase and that is true, but it is also an excuse. People do crazy things all the time when they are upset, but that doesn't mean that it's ok. If Lorelai can't be blamed than neither can Jess, Logan, or any other characters for their mishaps when they were upset. I personally think that she should just go back to being single because right now there is too much stress in her life. I know that relationships are hard, but there is no reason for them to be this hard when she's not even married yet. Chris has grown up and isn't a bad guy. He doesn't always make the wisest decisions, but neither does anyone else on show and in life anyway. Also I know that Chris has hurt Lorelai in the past, but the whole thing in season 2 with GiGi coming about wasn't planned and I think it would have been worse for him to just stay with Lorelai and not go back to Sherry. Chris just didn't want to make the same mistake twice and I applaud him for that. In the long run he got GiGi and his fiance left him so he knows and feels what he did to Lorelai. Yes he did mess up in season 5 at the wedding and in the season finale, but Lor messed up too and she knows that she did. I don't care which guy she ends up with, but Lorelai is still learning and I believe that at some point on the show she will be happily married. Also Lauren Graham wonders how fans can be so surprised over her sleeping with Chris because she sees the logic in the situation maybe if you guys hear what she has to say you will have a different perspective on it.

mkpsu

[133]Sep 7, 2006
    CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS CHRIS J/K for right know I don't care who Lorelai's w/ but at the end I want her w/ Luke

thecutiedisease

[134]Sep 7, 2006
    CHRIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eclipse86

[135]Sep 16, 2006
    Prowler86Kid wrote:

In my opinion, it would be Luke. Though if I went through Lorelai's past with them both, I wouldn't be able to decide. Lorelai and Chris are practically the same peron except for the man woman thing. Lorelai and Chris both like to joke around and seem to be like the class clowns whenever they are in public together. Lorelai and Luke however, are both similar also. They have the same thoughts and opinons on things as Emily has pointed out a couple of times. Lorelai has a bond with both of them equally and it's up to her heart to choose the right guy. With both of them she has a great relationship, well, had a great relationship as friends, and as lovers. When she has trouble in her life, she runs to either Chris or Luke, but Luke a little more than Chris. Though Chris has broken her heart a few times and Luke has at least once, that still doesn't change her feelings towards either of them. If she does choose Luke, Chris will always be apart of her life because he is Rory's father and if she chooses Chris Luke will still be part of her life because unless she finds someone with good food and coffee like Luke's Diner and moves in with Chris, they will still run into each other in town. Stars Hollow isn't that big! In the end, it's all up to Lorelai, but I would choose Luke and keep Chris as a friend.

Lor and Luke could never be friends if she went back to Chris! Luke hates Chris too much to be okay with it, plus Stars Hollow was Luke's town long before Lorelai showed up so she would end up leaving. Star's Hollow is a closely-knit town so they would all take offense to Lorelai leaving Luke for Chris, she would feel unwelcome there and would have to give up the Inn. There are way too many sacrifices on Lorelai's part to hook up with Chris. Plus I can totally see her getting suckered into raising Gigi, it will start out as just helping out then before you know it she is a mommy again! At least with Luke the only thing she would sacrifice would be her parent's happiness and we all have seen how little she cares about that. But we shall see if Luke will even take her back after he finds out what happened.

xboxdukex

[136]Sep 16, 2006
    Chris. Luke and Lorelei should just remain friends! I mean, Chris and Lor have been through so much together and it really makes me mad! So many times they've been close to staying together, and it just doesn't seem fair that Lorelei doesn't get Chris. She deserved him more than you guys can think. Luke and Lor just don't cut it; I'm sorry. I never liked them together. They're good friends and all, but them being in a relationship is WAY over the edge. That's part of the reason I had actually quit watching the show, but now I'll just have to see more of it and hope that Lorelei gets Chris back

pgsuperfan

[137]Sep 16, 2006
    • level: 25
    Lorelai belongs with Luke they are perfect for each other

LorelaiSquared

[138]Sep 16, 2006
    Lorelai screwed up big time by sleeping with Chris. She is as much at fault as Chris, even more so since she was the one who was engaged to someone else. Lorelai loves Chris but has never been IN love with him (she admitted as much in "Partings"), but she's also always had a weakness for him. She and Chris have a bond, but they've never clearly defined what that bond is - lovers, friends, parents? Frankly, I think they would be a disaster as a couple - yes Chris has grown up a bit and so has Lorelai but realistically a lot of what they have in common relates to the past they had together as teenagers. What they have in common now, is Rory. Luke is another story. Luke an Lorelai pretty much fell in love with each other when the met for the first time but neither of them realized it or was willing to acknowledge their feelings. And yet everyone around them seemed to see it. Even Lorelai's mother noticed the first time she met Luke. They took a long time to get together and I think part of that was fear - Lorelai's fear that she would screw things up (she doesn't have the healthiest outlook when it comes to relationships) or get hurt. But they have a lot in common and they also balance each other out - Lorelai helps Luke to not be so serious all the time and Luke helps Lorelai get prespective. They've always supported one another when things have been tough for either of them and Luke has also always been there for Rory. I think that's why Lorelai was so hurt when Luke didn't tell her about April - because if you look back in previous seasons, it's really the first time Luke HASN'T shared something big with her. I think that things are going to work out in the end. Chris and Lorelai might try being together for a while but I think it will fall apart quickly, she loves Luke and he loves her and despite the pain they've caused each other I believe that they WILL find their way back to each other and their relationship will be stronger than ever before.
    Edited on 09/16/2006 11:56am

GGluvrJRLL4ever

[139]Sep 16, 2006
    • level: 6
    Ok, everybody get out your guns and rotten tomatoes, cause I say CHRIS. Everyone thinks that to be a L/L fan, you have to hate Chris, so that's what they do. I'm not sure why everyone hates present-Chris. I know people will hate me for this, but I love Chris/Lorelai and like Luke/Lorelai. My biggest petpeeve is when people at fanfiction.com do the whole "Luke was more of a father than you will ever be Christopher" That gets me soooooooo pi$$ed. I've even read one where Rory randomly starts calling Luke dad. I know many people disagree, but in season 1, I don't see Luke has a dad. More of a friend to Rory than a dad. Whenever Chris came to town, I saw him as a dad. Sure, I don't like the fact that Chris wasn't too present in Rory's life when she was young, but look at the him that we say now, not the him that we never saw. I don't think that Luke was ready to be a dad to April this season, but he could've handled it better. And people always say that Dean should'nt have married Lindsay even though he was pining for Rory, Luke did the same thing. I like Luke, but he's lost some of it this past season.

eclipse86

[140]Sep 16, 2006

actually, Lorelaisquared, this isn't the first time Luke left Lorelai in the dark. Remeber Nicole? A lot of their relationship was a mystery to Lorelai, she had to pry what little she knew out of Luke. Then his dark day, out of all of the years they knew eachother she just know found out about it!