Gilmore Girls Forums

The WB (ended 2007)

Logan's Proposal

seanconery

[1]Feb 24, 2010
    • level: 10

I'm g onna start out by saying I think she should have married Logan. With that said, did anyone else think it was a double standard that no one though Lane was too young to get married, but everyone thought Rory was?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ana_jovanovic

[2]Mar 1, 2010
    • level: 12

seanconery wrote:

I'm gonna start out by saying I think she should have married Logan. With that said, did anyone else think it was a double standard that no one though Lane was too young to get married, but everyone thought Rory was?

First off, really happy she didn't marry Logan. He was all bad for her from the start, they just did not click.

Secondly, not really a double standard... Lane was at a different point in her life when she had decided to get married. She had had a steady relationship and had lived with her future husband for years, also she had not planned to continue her education but to work on her career in music TOGETHER with her husband. On the other hand, Rory and Logan had had their problems, he had been living in London and she was unsure that they should stay together at all, also she had planned to work on her career which would again separate them.

Stating that someone is "too young to marry" can be said just about anybody, regardless of the age. It seldom has anything to do with the actual age (unless it is about someone who is 16 ). It is just a polite way of saying that someone is "not ready" or "not right for each other" etc...

alirk

[3]Mar 3, 2010
    • level: 22

ana_jovanovic wrote:

seanconery wrote:

I'm gonna start out by saying I think she should have married Logan. With that said, did anyone else think it was a double standard that no one though Lane was too young to get married, but everyone thought Rory was?

First off, really happy she didn't marry Logan. He was all bad for her from the start, they just did not click.

Secondly, not really a double standard... Lane was at a different point in her life when she had decided to get married. She had had a steady relationship and had lived with her future husband for years, also she had not planned to continue her education but to work on her career in music TOGETHER with her husband. On the other hand, Rory and Logan had had their problems, he had been living in London and she was unsure that they should stay together at all, also she had planned to work on her career which would again separate them.

Stating that someone is "too young to marry" can be said just about anybody, regardless of the age. It seldom has anything to do with the actual age (unless it is about someone who is 16 ). It is just a polite way of saying that someone is "not ready" or "not right for each other" etc...

Well put!

seanconery

[4]Mar 5, 2010
    That's just a lame excuse. It ended so abruptly that was unrealistic. Let's be honest, he may have had a job offer in SF, he would have gone anywhere she wanted. Any problems that you may have perceived in the final season were non existant and thus contrived on your part. They were clicking just fine. It was stupid they didn't get married, the writers probably just didn't want to be cliche or something, but in ending it the way they did the show lacked closure.

ana_jovanovic

[5]Mar 14, 2010

seanconery wrote:
    That's just a lame excuse. It ended so abruptly that was unrealistic. Let's be honest, he may have had a job offer in SF, he would have gone anywhere she wanted. Any problems that you may have perceived in the final season were non existant and thus contrived on your part. They were clicking just fine. It was stupid they didn't get married, the writers probably just didn't want to be cliche or something, but in ending it the way they did the show lacked closure.

What would have happened had they gotten married? But before we get to that...

I have notperceivedany problems between them in the final season, I had perceived problems between them from the get-go. He was a spoiled brat with too much money and free time on his hands. Because of him she almost dropped out of college, and then because the writers tried toprolong that relationship for whatever reason they had him become a man by going to work for his daddy in London. Please!

Their relationship was doomed from thebeginning, there was no way they could stay together. And BTW, I find very public proposals like Logan hadorchestrated, a desperate attempt to blackmail the woman into accepting... It is onlyjustifiedif a guy is 200000000% (or even more) sure she is going to say yes. Logan was not.

And back to thebeginning. Had they gotten married they would have had to get a divorce 3 months later.

seanconery

[6]Mar 15, 2010
    Logan definatly though she would say yes. She didn't almost drop out of college because of him, he tried to keep her in. There was bad writing there though, because it wasn't in her character to drop out. One person said something bad about her and she's turns her life upside down instead of working twice as hard to prove him wrong, that was uncharacteristic.

ana_jovanovic

[7]Mar 15, 2010

seanconery wrote:
    Logan definatly though she would say yes.

What, the fact that she was so stand-offish with him since he got back form London led him to believe she would marry him... That guy needs (a lot of) help in the "gettin' ladies" departmentWink

Ms1fan

[8]May 13, 2010
    • level: 8
    If they'd gotten married it would have made a pretty episode or a nice season finale, but that wouldn't have given the couple their happy ending. Logan was not good for Rory, he turned her life upside down and not in a good way, and I am not talking about the time she dropped out of Yale, that wasn't Logan's doing, that was Logan's father. She was always taking care of Logan and his reckless actions, imagine the kind of husband he would have been.

I agree with the previous post that said they would have ended up divorced after 3 months.

LexClarkaresexy

[9]May 31, 2010
    • level: 15
    I have to agree with the majority of you. yes Logan is hot but him and rory were never a good couple together. Over the seasons Logan did change but he always had that bratty, spoiled little boy in him that made him think he could get whatever he wanted. I just never thought they would make a great couple from the beginning. And i do beleive if they ddi get married they would have gotten divorced and it would be because Rory wanted out not Logan.

FallingDown1986

[10]Jun 2, 2010
    • level: 20
    Also, if Logan REALLY, REALLY loved Rory he would have accepted her decision and would have waited for her to be ready... I think he knew that she'd probably break up with him and thought "what the heck, let's give it a try and see if she says 'yes' - If not fine"

Supernatural100

[11]Aug 12, 2010
    • level: 6

I think it depends on what her reason is.

I think Rory truly loved Logan and she should have accepted the "Proposal". No one said anything about getting married right that second. They could be engaged for a year or so. I personally think Rory was just scared because everyone was against that relationship at first. I think if people sat with her and told her that everything was going to be ok and explained to her that she did not have to do it right away, she would have said yes.

HappyGirl818

[12]Dec 11, 2010

I personally loved Rory and Logan together. I'm not sure if that's just the product of me starting to watch during season 5 and watching the first 4 in repeats, but I really liked them together, and I hated how the show handled their relationship at the end. Rory and Logan had been together off and on for 3 seasons, and they broke them up like 2 episodes.

One the one hand, I wish Rory had accepted Logan's proposal. They didn't have to get married right away, and I think they could have worked it out where Rory was still able to do the things she wanted to do. And then on the other hand I have to agree, I Logan truly loved Rory he should have been willing to wait for her.

silvergirl07

[13]Jan 8, 2011
    • level: 6

First off, I didn't like Logan in the beginning and I thought Rory only fell for him because of his looks. But I really liked how their relationship developed. Although it was ooc for Rory to become a "rich kid" but the ways of love are strange indeed... I liked how she managed to turn him around and she did stay true to her principles in the end.

What I didn't get is, that just a couple of episodes before he said she should do what she wanted for herself and then maybe facture him into her plans. And he would be doing the same. But then all of a sudden he asks her to change her life completely to come and be with him. I can understand why she didn't say yes.

omelethc

[14]Dec 9, 2011
    • level: 8
    I never liked Logan for all the reasons mentioned. The fact that he changed for her doesn't make me like him any more, but slightly less arrogant later which takes some irritation away. I think he is an appropriate match for Rory though. She is a bit boring and needs someone else to excite her and lead her. Dean could never do that.

A surprise wedding proposal in a public gathering is so unfair and deserves a 'no' just on principle. It is done only to use peer pressure on the proposee to say yes.

gurlonfire

[15]Oct 22, 2012
    • level: 5
    I love Logan. I love Rory/Logan

That proposal was 1) completely out of character 2) against the development of Logan [remember the "I'll factor you in" speech???] and 3) a horrible way to end a three year relationship.

I don't think Rory should have gotten married so soon. But that was not he way to end Rogan. They didn't even need to end them! There was no indication of it! Just get engaged for the time being.

Peggy_Porcupine

[16]Oct 25, 2012
    • level: 13

Rogan? That's too funny.

I watched the whole series in 2010. Since it is on MuchMusic right now I borrowed the DVD's and re-watched it again. Interesting watching it the 2nd time when you know the characters already.

Personally I *loved* how the series ended. Having seen some (like JAG) that had very poor endings and others (like Farscape) that had great planned endings, GG ranks way up on my list of great endings.

Yes, I am glad that Rory and Logan did not get together. As someone mentioned he did at first say 'do what you wish' and then, without privately talking about where their relationship was going which would have given him more confidence to do the public proposal successfully, he dropped the bomb - and the ball so to speak. He showed how he still often changed his mind from being self centred to caring to being self centred again. The question we are left with is 'would they get together in the future' and we can all do our own thinking on that

Luke, on the other hand - I loved the way that that one was resolved.

~ Peggy from Porcupine

~ (Peggy Bendell)