Gilmore Girls Forums

The WB (ended 2007)

Why Does Everyone Hate Dean??

Dacar92

[1]Oct 5, 2008
    • level: 9

I'm not a fan of Dean. But i was just wondering why you people hate him.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tv_lover066

[2]Oct 5, 2008
    • level: 12
    Ah, the age old question. Well, I THINK most people found him needy, possessive, annoying, not right for rory on an intellectual basis, then there was the whole dean...yaknow...the incident...ok i am tryin to speak in code in case you aint seen all of GG yet. And at times he acted like a bit of a jerk. Also, Jess came onto the scene which prompted most to think he was so much better for Rory and Dean just got in the way. That said, i dont hate dean

brittanym1411

[3]Oct 5, 2008
    • level: 17
    Omg, I could go on forever about how much I hate dean! But I think tv_lover066 sums it up pretty good cuz he was extremely needy, posessive, and annoying.

DOMOJITA

[4]Oct 5, 2008
    • level: 18
    i use to think he was right for rory but now i think he' just a big fat drama queen i meen really sheesh if he really loves rory he shude man up and fight for her love or just shut up already and move on with his life.

sunshinegirl64

[5]Oct 6, 2008
    • level: 11

I hate later Dean because by then I think his character was just too.... I dunno. Overused maybe? Especially in Season 5- I don't like when he and Rory get back together. And there was also the- ahem- incident. I think we all know what I'm referring to.

But I don't hate early Dean. In fact, I think early Dean is very sweet.

xxkaty

[6]Oct 6, 2008
    • level: 3
    agreed. early dean was v sweet, but later on he just became...as tv_lover066 said, a jerk.

what i don't get is why so many people hate rory and logan together. they were the best!

tv_lover066

[7]Oct 7, 2008

xxkaty wrote:
    what i don't get is why so many people hate rory and logan together. they were the best!

Well...one was itching to see the return of a certain Jess character so I decided to find the S6 script...and the impression I got of Logan was that he was a huge...jerk! However, i here he gets better in s7...

brittanym1411

[8]Oct 8, 2008
    • level: 17
    I love Logan too! I actually even hated the early Dean, from the first time we saw him I was just like "Eew he looks so gross!"

sunshinegirl64

[9]Oct 8, 2008

Uh...yeah. Season 1 Jared wasn't looking his best. The hair? Ugh. But I forgive him cuz he's so sweet.

But Season 4 Jerk Dean? You gotta admit- he was looking pretty nice.

It kinda sucks how these things work out.

SMGslayer97

[10]Oct 11, 2008
    • level: 34
    Well to be frank in the beginning I didn't really know why, he just always bothered me in season 1 and 2. He was so posessive of Rory at times, way to easily jealous and he just bugged me. Then came Jess and I thought he and Rory were pefect for one another so it became less about not being fond of Dean and more about wanting Rory and Jess to stop being stupid and get together which took forever.

Then in season 4, as is the case with most people, my hate reached a new level when he cheated on his wife with Rory. Every time I watch that episode I can't help but think I knew there was a reason I always hated that guy, it just hadn't happened yet.

PiperPrueLover4

[11]Oct 12, 2008
    • level: 18
    My preference of boyfriends for Rory:

1) Jess

2) Dean

3) Logan.

sunshinegirl64

[12]Oct 12, 2008

SMGslayer97 wrote:
    Well to be frank in the beginning I didn't really know why, he just always bothered me in season 1 and 2. He was so posessive of Rory at times, way to easily jealous and he just bugged me. Then came Jess and I thought he and Rory were pefect for one another so it became less about not being fond of Dean and more about wanting Rory and Jess to stop being stupid and get together which took forever. Then in season 4, as is the case with most people, my hate reached a new level when he cheated on his wife with Rory. Every time I watch that episode I can't help but think I knew there was a reason I always hated that guy, it just hadn't happened yet.

I agree, Dean was possesive. But I really don't think Season 1 Rory could have handled a Jess or even a Logan. I thought Dean was the perfect first boyfriend, even if he did have his faults.

meerkatmadness

[13]Oct 15, 2008
    • level: 9
    That's true, I think they even say it on the show that Dean is the perfect first boyfriend. I was actually thinking about the boyfriends today at school, Dean is caring (sorry, used to be), Jess was smart, and Logan was carismatic...and rich. Dean just got so annoying and then there was an episode in one of the later seasons when he said some really mean stuff to Luke about the Loreleis. Jess was definitely the best of the boyfriends ^^

Katz_uk27

[14]Oct 21, 2008
    • level: 13
    I never hated Dean, if anything I felt sorry for him. Rory was the love of his life but he realised that he wasn't her's. Like he said to Luke he was a simple guy who was happy living a simple life and that was never going to be Rory. I didn't dislike him as a person he was no better or worse than her other boyfriends.

laffertyluver

[15]Oct 26, 2008
    • level: 15
    I actually liked Dean during season 1, he seemed to treat Rory right. However, from season 2 onwards, the jealous streak b/c of Jess was very unattractive, and the decisions he made (namely asking Lindsay to marry him)were just plain stupid. Maybe if he followed through on his plans to go to college, he would have been good enough for Rory. Thats just my feeling!!

This_Years_Love

[16]Aug 23, 2009
    He was boring and he cheated on his wife. He shouldn't have married that girl when he was still in love with Rory. Dean was spineless.

funkyfresh5

[17]Aug 28, 2009
    • level: 33
    I don't really get all the Dean hate personally, especially at the beginning. He was as others have pointed out the perfect first boyfriend for Rory. He did become a jerk later on especially in season 4 and 5. I thought he was okay until the s4 finale. Really wish they hadn't returned to that relationship.

crashingdoors

[18]Aug 28, 2009
    • level: 13
    I never hated Dean, but I'm a little unpleased with what happened at the end of season 4/beginning of season 5. I was more mad and disappointed with Rory than I was mad with Dean. Of course, I was disappointed with Dean too--this isn't some double standard where it's okay that Dean did that, because Dean was very wrong to do that. But that was just so not Rory.

But Dean, other than /that/, was a good guy and I kind of wished things would have worked out better for them. I don't know how it all turns out (I'm only up to season 5) but I'm assuming that Dean isn't going to be in Rory's life very long.

swimgirl8392

[19]Aug 31, 2009

funkyfresh5 wrote:
    I don't really get all the Dean hate personally, especially at the beginning. He was as others have pointed out the perfect first boyfriend for Rory. He did become a jerk later on especially in season 4 and 5. I thought he was okay until the s4 finale. Really wish they hadn't returned to that relationship.
    I agree. I think he was a good first boyfriend for rory and I liked him in season one. He was really sweet and he protected her. Same in season 2. And yes, he started to get posessive, but can you blame him? Rory was dragging him along when she knew she liked jess and she kept lieing to herself and to him about the matter. I think she was being kind of a jerk at th middle of season 2 near the beginning of season 3. But after season 4 I really hated him. There was the incident, of course but also he was a jerk before that. Marrying linseay when he was still pining for rory was just so stupid and immature. I lost all respect for him after that. And in season 5 i'm convinced he was lying about how he said he would have left linseay if she hadn't of found the letter from rory. I think he wouldn't have and rory would have gotten her heart broken either way. At least by the time they broke up she had logan.

That's MY take on the subject.

TreeHill_89

[20]Sep 13, 2009
    • level: 32
    I really liked Dean as Rory first boyfriend i only thing i didn't like was when him and Rory had an affair. I thought it was so unlike their characters.