Gilmore Girls

Girls in Bikinis, Boys Doin' the Twist/ aka Gilmore Girls Gone Wild

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Apr 13, 2004 on The WB

• An episode that seems destined for sweeps, so why April? Rory and Paris make a last minute decision to do the Spring Break beach thing, and behave totally out of character in numerous ways. Various important character developments occur, but stupidly.

This is one of my all-time least favorite episodes. Rory and Paris once again too-coincidentally run into Madelyn and Louise (OK, so the showrunners like the actresses -- come up with a better way to use them!), who prompt bizarre occurrences such as Paris kissing Rory on the mouth just to get attention in a bar, and who provide the convenient plot element of drunk-dialing Dean and provoking a crisis in his marriage. Luke conveniently (for the writers) discovers Nicole is having an affair, so once again the writers set up a relationship that is intended to keep a romance at bay, then manipulate the character this way and that to make us hate the interloper when they need us to, then like the interloper when it has to play that way (see Tristan, see Max, see Sherry, see Logan). It's my all-time big gripe about this show I loved so much: recurring characters' behavior being continually wrenched around from one episode to the next according to how the writers needed us to feel that week toward the person. To a lesser extent it operated even with characters such as Jess. Having Luke get violent over this was annoying, and it was even more annoying when it came up in the last season as part of the whole April-Anna mess.

Jason was another character the writers toyed with mercilessly. We were mostly led to like him, then when the writers were ready to dump him for Luke, he was led precipitously to the edge to do stupid things. In this episode, though, we're still supposed to mostly like him, so he gives Lorelai a key and it doesn't go well.

It's an annoying, badly written episode all around, and I avoid it as much as possible, watching only when I watch the whole season in order, and fast-forwarding even then.
  • Rory and Paris go on Spring break, Jason gives Lorelai a key. Brilliant and entertaining episode.

This was a brilliant one. It was strange seeing Paris and Rory being so out there but was fun to watch. It was funny how Paris kept paying guys to get her more things, like a VCR, root beer and nearly everything you could think of. As always she provided a lot of the humour, it was crazy when she kissed Rory. But was hilarious when she asked what she was like, Rory was horrified, very funny.

It was good to see Madeline and Louise again, they showed the others the ropes and were funny in there own right. Them competing against the blond twins was amusing. But it gets more interesting when Rory gets drunk and tells everyone she still think Dean's attractive. Madeline calls Dean and it goes to voice mail, Rory leaves a drunken message on it.

I was happy to see Dean call back, he is so in love with Rory and he sounded pleased to here from her. As for Jason giving Lorelai the key, the scene when he did was amusingly awkward. But there still together because he tells her its because its going well. Poor Luke, Nicole is cheating on him. That's what he thinks when he wears another mans socks. It was funny that he went to jail of all people. I'm glad there over, well I'm guessing that they are. It was another sign too, he rang Lorelai to pick him up. Anyway, this was another brilliant
  • Rory goes to Florida for Spring Break with Paris.

This was a really good episode I could hardly believe that Rory and Paris would go to Spring Break like that. They are so straightlaced. Seeing them drunk was quit interesting. The fact that they spent their first night eating pizza and watching movies instead of partying was quite surprising as well. Rory has not seemed to be the kind of girl to get drunk very often, but she is at Spring Break. Paris is Paris. Nothing really surprises me with her. She has always been kind of strange. She does change quite a bit over the course of seven seasons though. She and Rory go from enemies to really good friends,even being roommates in college. Madeleine and Louise back into the mix in this episode and hilarity is bound to ensue with them.
  • Spring break, Luke goes to jail, Jason and Lorelai's relationship steps up

Nicole is cheating Luke, he is wearing another man's socks. I felt sad for Luke but I never liked Nicole.

The spring break is there and everyone is going to the beach, Rory and Paris stay at Yale doing some protest and suddenly think of also going to the beach. And Paris is driving lol

This is Rory and Paris first experience at Spring break. That was fun to see, Paris giving money everywhere, going to the clubs, the kiss, the drinking, the clubs...
    That guy was cute but like all others he was a jerk...

Jason ans Lorelai's relationship is stepping up. He gives her a key to his place, that was weird. Then that talk at her doorstep, that was important and a minute later a voice mail call makes Lorelai run out the door, Luke is in jail, Luke!!
    For kicking Nicole's lover car lol

And that call for Dean was the beginning of all troubles, that what I think is going to happen...
  • Rory and Paris go to Florida for Spring Break. Jason gives Lorelai a key to his place. Luke finds out Nicole is seeing someone else. Lorelai bails Luke out of jail. Luke and Nicole's relationship is over! Yippee!

It is funny to see Paris and Rory so out of their element during Spring Break. Everyone around them seems to be having fun and they feel so awkward. But then, Madeline and Louise come to their rescue and give them a taste of Spring Break life. Paris and Rory let loose a little. Paris kisses Rory! And then they head back to Connecticut feeling they experienced enough.

I love this episode. I love that Luke confides in Lorelai once again. He calls her to help him. She comes and bails him out of jail and helps him through his breakup with Nicole. now that Nicole is out of the way, Lorelai and Luke are one step closer to being together! He lets himself be so vulnerable with Lorelai. I don't think there is anyone in the world Luke could ever feel safer and more comfortable with. She is his best friend. I just want to tell Luke - it will be soon - soon, you will have the girl of your dreams!
  • Spring Break! This is a great episode!

This episode is about how Rory and Paris go on vacation during spring break. They end up seeing Madeline and Louise who show them the ropes on how to have a great spring break. This is a great episode because of a series of events from Rory making a drunk phone call to Dean, to Rory spotting a cute guy, to Paris kissing Rory. Paris and Rory's determination to make this a great spring break leads to an early departure and really bad hang overs. This is a great episode because Paris and Rory get to hang out with their old friends Madeline and Louise and is a very interesting episode about their spring break!
  • Rory and Paris add spring break to their college experience. Luke and Nicole hit a major roadblock in their relationship. Jason wishes to take his relationship with Lorelai to the next level.

The conclusion to Luke and Nicole's marriage is imminent. The 'I'm not wearing my socks' scene was so well done. It was funny and totally in character for Luke to behave in that way. Once again Lorelai is there to help and support her friend. It is heartening to see Luke and Lorelai are always there for each other. We, as fans, are pleased that they are taking another step forward on the road towards the beginning of their union. I'm cannot be persuaded that pushing Rory towards Dean is a good story arc. This is a girl with a strong moral grounding. I'm not convinced she would be this involved with a married man without his wife's awareness. It feels out of character.

Spring break with Rory and Paris was very entertaining and bringing Madeline and Louise into the mix added a dimension that Rory and Paris might never have discovered on their own.
  • This is a stand-out episode. Must-see television.

I loved everything about this episode. Taking the characters out of their usual environment can either be a great success or a huge disaster. In this case it is the first. Rory and Paris are on spring break in Florida which causes for some very funny material. This episode had me laughing on several occasions, and is one of the best the series has seen to this point. The appearance by rock group ‘The Shins’ is also very interesting and cool to see if you are a fan of them. All in all, this episode is one of the better Gilmore Girls episodes and is a must-see for all fans. If you are a fan of ‘The Shins’ you will get a kick out of this also.
  • Rory goes on spring break

I thought that this episode was really great. I thought that it was funny that they had a love interst for rory durning spring break. it was really funny that he was only interested in her until Paris kissed her at the club. i liked that they brought back Madiline and Lousie back for the episode and i relly enjoyed their humor and actions durning spring break. I thought that it was like Rory and Paris to leave spring break early. It was really funny that Lorelaai had no problem with Rory going on spring break but had a problem with her coming back evan though she was joking around.
  • Rory and Paris kiss! Rory and Paris go to Florida for spring break. Rory flirts with a guy, but after a few drinks, her friends call Dean and she leaves him a drunk message.

Rory and Paris go to Florida to escape the downpour of rain at Yale. They run into Madeline and Louise who explain the rules of spring break to them. Paris enters a banana eating contest and Rory flirts with a guy. They go dancing at a bar and Paris kisses Rory, then begs Rory to tell her how her kissing skills are. Madeline calls Dean and hands the phone to Rory, who leaves a drunk message. Luke discovers that Nicole is cheating on him, and gets arrested for beating up her lover’s car.
  • Rory and Paris go to Florida for Spring Break and things get very interesting. While back in Stars Hallow Luke gets arrested for....beating up a car? Things take a left turn for Paris and Rory and this episode insures tons of laughter!

This is my favorite episode ever! I lauged by butt off from start to finish. My favorite quote is in this episode

(Coming inside from the rain dripping wet)
    Girl:Is it raining outside
    Paris:No. It's "National Baptism Day". Tie your tubes. Idiot!

I was also very suprised in this episode when Paris kisses Rory, and this is to be taken with humor. The episode is also improtant because a boy that Rory finds attractive doesn't think the same back, which is important because usually she gets what she wants in the boy department. This is also a turning point for Luke and Loralia's relationship when he finds out he is not wearing his socks........watch the episode to understand.
  • Luke's not wearing his socks and he lands up in jail and Rory and Paris are off to their first annual spring break, so out of character!!

This is just another great episode. Luke learns that Nicole has another man in her life and turns to Lorelai for help when he lands up in jail. Lorelai is stunned to see Luke freaking out in a jealous rage and kicking a car that belongs to the sock man, but he soon calms down, we see another side to Luke, that can get him in a little bit of trouble, but basically underneath all of that, he really is still a great guy who just got duped into believing that Nicole was what he wanted in his life.

This episode means the end of Nicole, yipee, and yay!! Its time for things to end between them. Rory and Paris, discover that they have a lot in common, they are not the wild kind of party girls and feel a bit overwhelmed and uncomfortable with the whole thing, but they get to have some fun when they run into two former Chilton mates, but best of all, its not out of character for them to want to leave the party early.

• This is my faveourite episode!!!

Hello, i loooooooooooove this episode. I duuno, maybe it was just seeing smart, safe, always-do-what-you-told rory getting out there and actuully DOING something, kinda, badish. I mean, in this episode she was only what, 18, 19? and the legal drinking age in amerca is 21, if im not mistaken, so yay rory!! not that im promtoing under-aged drinking, but rory taking a walk on the wild side was very ammusing to watch. Also, madaline and loise are in this episode, they are sooo funny! This eposde was funny, and new, and interesting, and had two of my faveourite characters in it!! i am getting seasons 2 and 3 on dvd, but i plan on getting season 4 very soon, because i love this epiosde!!! Bye bye
  • Rory has a drink, Paris kisses Rory, Louise makes a startlingly insightful prediction about Dean; meanwhile Luke gets jealous for the first time, and Lorelai goes a step further in both her relationship with Luke and with Jason Stilles.

Like I categorized this episode, this episode showed an extreme advance in some of the characters development. Luke, for instance, had his own plot line this episode, which always adds to the wonderful show which is "Gilmore Girls". When Lorelai first came into the diner and said a casual and friendly "Hey," and then Luke came back with the harsh and aggressive "If you don't like the service here, you can go somewhere else!", the story of Luke's bad mood (and then, of course, the "why" that went with it) had been established. He had gotten dressed that morning, only to realize that his "wife" must have been having an affair with another guy who doesn't buy the same socks as Luke. He ends up going to jail (poor guy, he let his emotions get the best of him) because he sees the car that the other man and Nicole are in, and kicks it. Luckily there was no damage, though.
    Some other great things happened in this episode, however. The "talking key", for instance. Think about that idea: you're Jason and you give your girlfriend a kep to your place. You've never given a girl your key before in your life, and you want it to mean "Hey, I'm really serious about you". However, you mess up the moment by just giving her the key, and expecting it to talk for itself. Jason sure made up for it, though. Their relationship really is great at this point in the series.
    But no one could ever forget about Rory (and Paris, and the whole Yale gang). She's what titled the episode "Girls in Bikinis, Boys Doin' the Twist". That interesting choicew of words is Rory's definition of "Spring Break". That's right. Rory and Paris, along with a dork and a few cooler gals go to Florida to get warmed up for "Spring Break". They have a pretty good time, even if they don't quite know how to do "Spring Break" the "right" way. Paris thinks that Madeline and Louise (who they meet up with there; pure coincidence, I'm sure) may have a good idea when they say that kissing each other attracts boys. Odd reasoning there, but true enough, I suppose. It was the scene when the four of them were all drunk that really impressed me, however. The entire "Dean thing", with his number in Rory's phone, him being married to pretty and sweet Lindsay, and the psychic powers Louise now seemed to have. Boy, I loved that! And when Dean called Rory back, after recieving her drunken message, he sounded so happy that she called. Talk about excitement there!

I rated this episode a 9.9 out of 10. I thought it was great! Not the absolute best that "Gilmore Girls" could do, but close. Really close.

Email me about this review at Pemk7@aol.com
    Mention tv.com in the suibject, though. Please! I can't wait to hear you comments!