Gimme a Break!

NBC (ended 1987)

FredScuttle

Gimme a Break! Fan Reviews (13)

• It's good

I don't know what the appeal of this show is, I don't know why I keep watching. Everything about it is really cheesy and corny. But it ran from 1981-1987. So it must have been a big hit. It just came back on cable recently.

I do really like the theme song and the fact I get to watch Joey and Matthew Lawrence, when they were kids
  • My First Post

I am very new to this type of technology and it took me much trial and error to get as far as I am. I am posting this message to see that I know the right way to do it. This was one of my favorite shows growing up and I am sure that I am going to have a lot of fun on this site!
  • Gimme a freaking Break!

The show sort of started going downhill when the Dolph Sweet died then the wheels really came off this jalopy during the final season. They should have ended it the season before that.

I have to admit when I was in highschool I had a crush on Lara Jill Miller - dont know why exactly. I just did. Well after the fat man cop dad died it just sort of went downhill since without a man in the house, Nell Carter couldnt keep control of the dang kids! Now Nell is dead too, so I guess there wont be a reunion show any time soon since all the other actors havent been seen around at all.

Why does the description describe Nell Carter as "rotund" and Dolph Sweet as "Portly"? They were F-A-T, FAT! Come to think of it I could stand to lose 10-20 of those holiday pounds. LOL!
  • This show was about a black housekeeper who promised the chief's wife she would take care of the chief and his daughters. She also ended up taking care of Joey and Matthew later in the series. All in all an excellent show that show be put back on the air.

They really need to put this show back on TV and show all the episodes. This was an excellent show from beginning to end and I hope they come out the rest of the series on DVD, because I would buy the whole series. This show was hilarious and showed great family values with a housekeeper, the Chief, his daughters, and Joey and Matthew Lawrence. I hope they come out with the rest of the series on DVD, or put it back on TV where it belongs. I give this show a perfect ten. Like I said excellent from beginning to end!
  • This show is AWESOME....Nell Carter is hysterical and has a voice blessed by God. I wish they would release a CD of all the songs she sang throughout the run of this show.

This is a classically funny show. It allowed for physical humor and out right comedy. Some of the best episodes include: When the house was burglarlized. When the telephone company cut off the phone. When Nell went back home for Loretta\'s Wedding. All of these episodes showed the comedic ability of all of the players. There were some episodes that also allowed for some drama to play out and in doing so allowed us to truly start to care about these people. When Nell went home to see her ailing father and of course the episode that dealt with the death of the Chief. This is truly an amazing show.
  • The best family-centered comedy of the 1980's!

This was the best family-centered comedy of the 1980's. Nell was superb in all six seasons, even though the final two seasons were very dismal and not as great as the series' first four seasons. After the death of the Chief, it was never the same, but Nell kept the show alive.
  • a really funny comedy series.

This was a pretty good old-school comedy television series. As is normal with good television shows, this one did not last long enough. This is a show that I would suggest watching if you get the chance. Check the bargain bins at Wal-Mart, the online movies sites (Amazon.com and such) and all of the cable channels that run old shows. Nick at Nite and TV Land are great for theses kind of shows. They will even do a week long spot for shows that only had 6 or so episodes. Then you have your super stations. They run a bunch of old shows too. All in all a pretty good show that did not get a good enough chance. Sometimes it is a simple as the show it is up against. Look at Law & Order. It is one of the longest running shows on TV. They moved it to go up against Lost. After about 2 weeks of getting pounded in the ratings it was moved back to it's original time slot. Shows like this should be given more of an opportunity.
  • Wonderful Show, great cast

Great Show, The way it ended was an insult to the cast and fans. I think it should have had another season to end the way a show like this deserved. Many didn't like the show when they moved to New york but I guess I'm one of the few who really enjoyed it. Just wish that they would release a DVD.
  • Way Before my time but I remember it vaguely when I was little toddler.

This show was a good show, all I remember is the theme song. Look forward to see how this show was a great 80s sitcom especially in honor of Nell Carter. I've been anticipating on knowing more about the show on the 1st season DVD, I want to see what made this sitcom so good
  • Why isn't this show on?

I am really surprised that this show is not being shown anywhere. I haven't seen it in many years. It ran for six seasons so there are plenty of episodes for syndication. Nell Carter was so talented, I was very sad to hear of her passing. She and Telma Hopkins made a great comedic team. It's too bad that the show was revamped in its last season. That's always the kiss of death for shows, but Gimme A Break had a great run.
  • One of those great eighties shows

I loved the contrast between free spirited Nell and the stodgy cop. However, Samantha's hyperemotional character got on my nerves, and I actually kind of loved it when the older girls teased her. Even though I don't remember a lot about it, I remember that there were lots of interesting story lines and really good acting from a diverse cast.
  • One of NBC's classics of the 1980's.

Despite all the changes that happened later in the seasons, it was a pretty decent series!

Satchman23, I hate to disagree with you, but Matthew Lawrence never had a recording career (except singing background on Joey's 2nd CD). Matt should've consider following Joseph's footsteps, he's got a nice voice & plays the guitar as well. He could've been a contender!

But Matt fans had to wait for his moments on Brotherly Love (Roman Holiday/Art Attack) & Boy Meets World (As Time Goes By).
  • One of the funniest shows of the 80's.

"Gimme A Break" was one of those shows that always had something going for itself and for one this was out of a pick of standard 80's family shows that hit a home run and so much more with the prime essential element of actress Nell Carter,who was also a accomplish Broadway singer/dancer who won a Tony award for her work in "Ain't Misbehavin" in 1978. The show "Gimme A Break" was based on a cop who moved his family from New York to California after his wife Margaret passed away and also became the chief of police in a small fictional California town who in turn had this housekeeper named Nell who was no only in charge of the household,but also was in charge of his three daughters too in which Nell was not only the mother to them,but she had some tough love around that too. For the six seasons that in ran on NBC-TV(1981-1987) in the eighties,this was one of those shows that was constantly in the top ten ratings during its run on the Peacock network. Though the sitcom was hardly groundbreaking for its time,the series earned Nell Carter two Emmy nominations for her work and in turn gave her an opportunity to sing and dance in some of the episodes occasionally.

The show itself was a launching pad for three young performers who would go on to be stars: Joey Lawrence,Matthew Lawrence(both of whom landed key roles on other TV sitcom series and also have recording careers),along with actress Telma Hopkins(of Tony Orlando and Dawn,and later on with Family Matters,and Half and Half),and in its final season Rosie O'Donnell(before she would break out in daytime television). The series was produced by Alan Landsburg(who was also crank out other sitcoms like Kate & Allie,and In Search Of with Leonard Nimoy). However,when the show went off the air in 1987,she returned to do several other series and also was a spokeswoman for Liberty Medical Insurance Company(who in turn spoke out about the effects of diabetes since she was a diabetic herself). However,Nell Carter is no longer with us(she passed away on January 23,2002 at the age of 54)but her presence with that series will always remained in our hearts since she was a entertainment legend. She will be truly missed.