Girlfriends

Everything Old Is New Again

Aired Sunday 9:30 PM Oct 24, 2005 on The CW

• This has to be the funniest episode of GF ever!

I was rollin pretty much all the way through this episode. From Williams "pussy(cat)" reference to Joan's string of dates (the look on her face when the guy shouts at her that he had to take the call AND the look on her face when the third guy was taking her picture with his phone so his wife could see... CLASSIC!

• Joan is romanced by a senior citizen, while Maya goes for depth!

I agree wholeheartedly with neishababee--a terrific episode. Can we have more by this writer, please? The first few episodes of the new season failed IMO. I was \'bout ready to stick with the reruns. But with this episode the show came roaring back. I laughed out loud three or four times. I think the show needs to remember that Joan is at the center of its universe. Watching her deal with career/romance issues is what the show is all about. Toni and Mya may draw some of the biggest laughs, but they work best when they play off of Joan, \"the sensible one.\" Maya trying to get deep with her new book--hilarious! Keep up the good work \"Girlfriends.\"
  • Joan is debating going back to law and dating an older man. Maya is looking for topics for her new book pitch. Lynn is Lynn. William is a girlfriend. Toni is breastfeeding and being Toni.

I absolutely loved this episode. Not only was the story line good - Joan having dating troubles and life issues, again, Maya working on her book - but the overall synergy of it was perfect - they were friends again, biting at each other, laughing at each other, being there for each other. This is the show I love and work my schedule around. Joan didn\'t cry for once this season. And there wasn\'t too much going on to confuse you. It was just enough to make you feel good and understand these characters more. I laughed out loud several times too. That\'s a good sign.
  • Joan is pursued by an older man; Maya is having trouble finding a new topic for her next book.

Though I'm not sure how I feel about Joan and a May/December romance, tonight's episode felt more like the Girlfriends I fell in love with. Nothing was extra or over the top. I loved how the girls were sitting around talking trash to each other, and nothing was too deep or too involved. The funniest line of the night was when Joan told the girls that her new potential love interest was 72. Maya, in her typical Maya way says, "Oh, helllll no...are you dating Frederick Douglass?"

Maya was struggling trying to find a new topic for her book, which resulting in her using every word in her "Word a day" calendar to express to William and later to her book publishers what the next book was going to be about. After a bunch of comical comments from William and a whole lot of blank stares from her publishers, she came up with a couple of ideas from her and The Girlfriends' lives for her next book, which the publishers loved.

All in all, this episode was pretty good, and hopefully a sign that the producers/writers were going to keep our Girlfriends just the way we love them: Funny.