Girlfriends Forums

The CW (ended 2008)

Good Bye, 'Girlfriends'.

n3xt_l3v3l

[1]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 26
    Official Statement from 'Girlfriends' creater Mara Brock Akil:

"Although it's always difficult to say goodbye, I choose to focus my energy on the history that Girlfriends has made, the human stories that we told, the beautifully complex images that we projected and the blessings 172 episodes bestowed on us, both personally and professionally. I am immensely thankful to the amazingly talented cast, writers, directors, staff and crew for their endless dedication and hard work for eight seasons, to the network that always wanted us and the studio that always supported us, but mostly to the audience, especially African-American women, who took the time to tune into us every Monday night at nine to have a dialogue with us and who have been our partner in this journey. I am currently in talks with the studio and network on putting together a retrospective show which will honor and celebrate this landmark series, so please stay tuned."
    Edited on 02/14/2008 1:38pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ENAS1

[2]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 11
    Yea and most reports say it isnt a real finale its just going to be a clip show I Have no idea why they would do this knowing it was going to be the last season cut em off in the middle them racist ****

n3xt_l3v3l

[3]Feb 12, 2008
    I can't believe it either. I thought it was atleast going to be a series finale. But I wasn't expecting cancellation.

I will be posting contact info soon on how you can reach the CW and respond to their decision of cancelling the show. That's if any of is interested.

THE_WARNED55

[4]Feb 12, 2008
    People are also saying that the after strike episodes WERE the episodes that aired last night. I got the impression that they were going to air 2 more, in addition to the 2 we have already seen. So, last nights eps were basically the end?

ENAS1

[5]Feb 12, 2008
    Yea but them people at the network are talking to the producers to try and do an hour series finale most likely in the form of a clip show

Dumbasses just bring them back on set and produce a real hour finale

E_Queen

[6]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 10

Aww NL I feel for you. I know how you wanted it to go out with a bang. Im here for you hun...lol. If this is any conciliation...I dont believe ANYTHING MT says. They are right sometime but it is few and far between. I guess we'll see. On another note if the show has ended I guess it did end with Joan having a man. Guess that's why they kept mentioning him coming home...makes it seem like he made it through Iraq and we are to assume they lived happily ever after and that since they are engaged they will ended up married.

terryjohnson16

[7]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 5
    I don't know if I believe that website. I don't know why they would do that. There is still like 2 months left that they could use for the finale.

Hulkamaniac14

[8]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 17

n3xt_l3v3l series finale means cancelled....

It's been common knowledge since upfronts that this most likely was Girlfriends' last season, even though I do agree they should show a proper finale.

newgrumpyrad

[9]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 2

ENAS1 wrote:
    Yea but them people at the network are talking to the producers to try and do an hour series finale most likely in the form of a clip show Dumbasses just bring them back on set and produce a real hour finale

yea that's my opinion too... now i hate to go here... but they should get Jill in on this... 1 last time... to really close out the show...

Joan has a man, she reconciles with Toni... William has a(nother) child, Lynn puts out an album, Maya adopts....

that's how it should end

THE_WARNED55

[10]Feb 12, 2008
    ENAS1 wrote:
    Yea but them people at the network are talking to the producers to try and do an hour series finale most likely in the form of a clip show

Dumbasses just bring them back on set and produce a real hour finale

CW must really hate this show. Getting everyone back in the studio for ONE more production can not be that hard. A clip show is not a good series finale.

skyvolt2000

[11]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 27
    I wonder how does Mara and company feel about that writer's strike now???? You sat at home and now you don't have a job to come back to. Now istead of a proper finale you join Moesha, One on One, Family Matters and others with stupid cliffhangers. This is why as a black writer I would have stayed working and screw that union. Will they come to the defense of the show and others that got dumped? They should since they started that stupid strike in the middle of a season. Not only do you screw up DVD sales-with the show gone WHERE WILL THE 4-8 dvds get promoted??? We saw what a lack of promotion did to Boys Meets World.
    Screw the CW Network it's time to call Lifetime, Mynetwork tv, TBS, Oprah or Tyler Perry and move to another network for a proper final season.
    You don't think House of Payne followed by Girlfriends and The Game (I would move the show as a matter of principle) wouldn't look good on TBS.
    And once again What will replace it? 8 Days a Week? Robert Richard and Mario Lopez?

PrCGg

[12]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 3

I found this on BlackVoices, at the bottom of the article it has an official statement from The CW.

http://www.blackvoices.com/blogs/2008/02/12/girlfriends-gone-cw-network-cans-popular-black-sitcom/

Lyles20

[13]Feb 12, 2008

I would hope that as popular and as loyal as the fans have been out of respect they have a proper send off, if this is true.

Also, Mara, may be focusing her attention on her other shows. But this show may her popular so therefore, the viewers should be respected. They may not show the same devoted to other projects.

05youngsmooth

[14]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 1
    isn't the writers strike about to end today or tomorrow though

Vernita_Green

[15]Feb 12, 2008

Oh hellll naw! We watch this show for 7 (or is it 8?) seasons and they want to end it by CANCELLING it? This ain't fair. I mean I get that the writer's strike probably has a lot to do with this, but lots of shows are suffering, not just Girlfriends. I mean they need to end with a proper finale, I don't want to see no stupid clips. I watched the show since the beginning, I know about everything that happened. They might as well not even waste their time doing a stupid clip finale. I want the real deal. Thats why I been watching all season. I want to know what happens to Aaron and Joan. Does she FINALLY get married? I hope if they can't get their proper finale through the CW that they have a finale MOVIE!! That would even better. And also I would love to see a spin-off with either Maya and her family, or Joan and Aaron. I would even love to see a spin off with Toni and Morgan, but I doubt that will happen. I just don't want it to end on a tack note.

n3xt_l3v3l

[16]Feb 12, 2008
    Yup, it's official. Here's an offical statement:

CW rep Melissa Burton issued the following statement regarding the cancellation, which is printed in its entirety. "The prolonged strike has changed business conditions and our programming strategy for the balance of the 2007/08 season. To better focus its creative and financial resources, The CW will only resume production on shows that are in consideration for renewal next year. As a result, we will not order additional episodes of the long-running comedy, `Girlfriends,' which planned to conclude its 8-year run at the end of this season. This was a very difficult decision for us, and was based solely on the considerable cost to license each episode in an extremely unusual business environment. The affection, appreciation and respect for the show's accomplishments and the talents of the artists could not be greater. 'Girlfriends' was a landmark comedy that helped anchor important nights for both The CW and UPN, and proved to be one of the most enduring and popular shows in TV history with African-American viewers. We would like to express our heartfelt thanks for eight great seasons from creator Mara Brock Akil, stars Tracee Ellis Ross, Golden Brooks, Persia White, Jill Marie Jones, Reggie Hayes, Khalil Kain, Keesha Sharp and all the cast, crew and production who have worked on the show. We are in discussions with Mara and the cast to bring closure to the show and its fans with a retrospective special to air this season." Girlfriends is CANCELLED!

n3xt_l3v3l

[17]Feb 12, 2008
    It is 2008, people are not standing for watching another black sitcom bite the dust without a proper series finale. I am starting a petition and I am encouraging you all who wish to have a proper send off for the show to sign it when it is created!!!

THE_WARNED55

[18]Feb 13, 2008
    So, it won't even get a series finale? Wow...

E_Queen

[19]Feb 13, 2008
    Vernita_Green wrote:

Oh hellll naw! We watch this show for 7 (or is it 8?) seasons and they want to end it by CANCELLING it? This ain't fair. I mean I get that the writer's strike probably has a lot to do with this, but lots of shows are suffering, not just Girlfriends. I mean they need to end with a proper finale, I don't want to see no stupid clips. I watched the show since the beginning, I know about everything that happened. They might as well not even waste their time doing a stupid clip finale. I want the real deal. Thats why I been watching all season. I want to know what happens to Aaron and Joan. Does she FINALLY get married? I hope if they can't get their proper finale through the CW that they have a finale MOVIE!! That would even better. And also I would love to see a spin-off with either Maya and her family, or Joan and Aaron. I would even love to see a spin off with Toni and Morgan, but I doubt that will happen. I just don't want it to end on a tack note.

That is too funny cause I was thining the same thing..I done seen every episode I know what evry clip will look like. Give me a finally! On another note if there is a spin off I am sorry but I would not like it to be Joan and Aaron...I am sorry but I am about sick of Joan. Other than that I feel for all the GF fans!

Lyles20

[20]Feb 13, 2008
    I agree that the audience deserves a decent ending! That's only fair!