TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Girlfriends Forums

The CW (ended 2008)

Good Bye, 'Girlfriends'.

n3xt_l3v3l

[21]Feb 14, 2008
    • level: 26
    Here is an official statement from Mara Brock Akil:

"Although it's always difficult to say goodbye, I choose to focus my energy on the history that Girlfriends has made, the human stories that we told, the beautifully complex images that we projected and the blessings 172 episodes bestowed on us, both personally and professionally. I am immensely thankful to the amazingly talented cast, writers, directors, staff and crew for their endless dedication and hard work for eight seasons, to the network that always wanted us and the studio that always supported us, but mostly to the audience, especially African-American women, who took the time to tune into us every Monday night at nine to have a dialogue with us and who have been our partner in this journey. I am currently in talks with the studio and network on putting together a retrospective show which will honor and celebrate this landmark series, so please stay tuned."

Damn, So I guess I can go ahead and stick a fork in it. The show is done. It was good while it lasted though! Can't wait to see the special retrospective episode.
    Edited on 02/14/2008 1:32pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Jim856796

[22]Feb 15, 2008
    • level: 14

Dude, this is pretty screwed up right here. In the 8th season, Girlfriends got an order of 22 episodes, then it gets cut down to 13 due to the writers strike, and those eyesores at the CW cancel it? Does this mean no finale at ALL? Either way, all I can say about that is "D@mn it, D@mn it, D@mn it!" Why is a proper finale deemed too expensive? Why couldn't they just do a 30-minute finale?

A question that should be asked soon: Can a clip show serve as a good series finale and/or a good way to finish a TV series? If so, tell why?

E_Queen

[23]Feb 15, 2008
    • level: 10

Another link about how mad fans are. I couldn't open the the one so I apologize if the same one...do't think it is though.

http://www.blackvoices.com/blogs/2008/02/12/girlfriends-gone-cw-network-cans-popular-black-sitcom/

On another note all my 'GF' buddies. I will see you over at 'The Game' lets hope they keep that 1/2 as good as 'GF' wsa the last 8 years! KIT!

njbc

[24]Feb 16, 2008
    • level: 2
    If this is really true, they have to have a proper finale. They need to show Joan and Aron getting married and she and Tonya reconciling. Lynn has to put out an album, because she really worked for it. Maya and Darnell need to adopt and Jabari should get his driver's license.Finally Monica should give birth to her and William's baby. That is how the show should end. I would like to say on behalf my friends and I, we've really enjoyed the show for the past eight years.We have much respect for the cast,directors and everyone who helped to make the show how great it is or should I say was. It is really sad to see a show you LOVE and stayed up every night to watch end like this.That is why I strongly believe we the audience deserve a tremendous ending that we will remember forever.
    Edited on 02/16/2008 2:23pm

Hutton75

[25]Feb 17, 2008
    • level: 7
    After years of keeping this show on television, the audience deserves a proper finale!

njbc

[26]Mar 8, 2008
    • level: 2
    Great news everybody. Well at least I think. There is going to be a finale but only clips of the past seasons www.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girlfriendst. Read from however. (Sunday 23 March at 9:30)
    Edited on 03/10/2008 7:41pm

heroesfan07

[27]Mar 23, 2008
    • level: 21
    My Girlfriends there through thick and thin My Girldriends!!
    Truely Missed

Jim856796

[28]Jul 11, 2008
    • level: 14
    I already know that there won't be a series finale for Girlfriends and now as of late May of this year, it is too late to film a retrospective episode for Girlfriends.

TeemerDJ

[29]Jul 20, 2008
    • level: 12
    I am so pissed off. I know I didn't really come to this forum often, but I am a FANatic for Girlfriends. I can't believe it's joining ; Moesha, One on One, and all the other black sitcoms without a proper Series Finale. I'm so upset. There should be a movie, but people would think they're just following "Sex and the City" which is basically a "white" version of Girlfriends. But, I could completely see them doing a movie, or maybe moving to Lifetime, just like Reba did, when they got cancelled by the CW, or maybe TBS, Oxygen, HELL even BET.

princesslawless

[30]Jul 26, 2008
    • level: 6
    ENAS1 wrote:
    Yea and most reports say it isnt a real finale its just going to be a clip show I Have no idea why they would do this knowing it was going to be the last season cut em off in the middle them racist ****

agreed it deserves a proper send of like this African American women's sex in the city comparison.