Girlfriends Forums

The CW (ended 2008)

What has Girlfriends Has Done for your life?

liyah_lover01

[1]Mar 6, 2007
    • level: 5

I love Girlfriends and it has done allot for me personally. I started watching the show from the start because at that time upn was hot on Monday nights and when the show premiered back in 2000 i decided to watch it because all of UPN's other comedies were hot so any way the shows story-lines have progressed and the whole show overall has been important to me because i was young and somewhat ignorant to the world around me even thought i was just 9 and Girlfriends has helped me see the bigger picture that there's a whole world outside of my little inner circle. i learned that i as a black male can become successful at anything and have a nice friendship and be secure in my own skin because my whole life ive had low self esteem and never gained much knowledge about like growing up in the ghetto society that i live in and now after i graduate high school i am moving to LA to pursue my dream of becoming an actor and living that comfortable life that i have always dreamed of.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

PrettyBoyThug

[2]Mar 6, 2007
    • level: 5
    Nothin much but make me laugh...it aint that serious to me.

ez1jb

[3]Mar 11, 2007
    • level: 14
    Liyah-it's great that you were inspired that much by GF! I think, in general, GF has reinforced what I already knew about black people and black women in particularly, we're a dynamic, strong-yet HILARIOUS bunch!

Dzyres

[4]Mar 11, 2007
    • level: 7

Indeed. I was beginning college when Girlfriends first aired. It was good to see young professional black women with whom I could relate, and I grew from a agressive, smart-mouthed teenager to a sassy yet classy young woman (Fabulously dressed, if I might add).   I wanted Joan's profession, and Toni's wardrobe. I already had Maya's sass and Lynn's "nature".

I implemented the phrase,  "Aww Heeell no!" (I learned how to variate depending on the level of trife as well) into my vocab, and it is my signture phrase now. Don't come to me with no trife or that's an automatic response. I also began using  the word "TRIFE" quite often.  Fabulosity is a must, thanks to Sista Toni. Some of my best sassy- diva moments come from a combined influence of her and Maya. Like Joan, I'm motherly at times.  (I have a friend who is classic Joan-madness, crying and all)Though, I am a classic Maya -Tell it like it is.. Say what's on your mind..Sniff the trife and hang it out to dry. Conspiracy theories and all.   You know..   Lol, My friends and I  throw around words like  "classist" and "egregious" every now and then for the deserving trifling  folks. "The hell!" is also now a natural response for foolish talk. "Pretentious" and "saddity" gets thrown around a bit as well. I relate to each character personality wise, and no I don't have MPD. Lol,  I was more like Lynn  in my earlier college years. Not so much in the Biblical sense, just the way she freely talked about it. All in all, for me, Girlfriends provided  entertainment,  a positive view of young black professionals of different walks , and I found myself in the middle of my own"Girlfirends" circle.

Edited on 03/11/2007 10:49pm

lilkunta

[5]Apr 23, 2007
    • level: 6

GF made me

-volunteer at the blood drive,

-talk to college students about HIV  & Aids,

- &  make all the ladies I know go to the gyno to check 4 fibroids & cancer.

Hutton75

[6]Apr 23, 2007
    Now that's very POSITIVE. It's seems to have motivated an already good person to be even better. I'm proud of you.
    Edited on 04/23/2007 5:22pm

caseynrbq

[7]Apr 29, 2007
    • level: 1
    To: Dzyres: WOW! That's so funny that you incorporate the vernacular of the girlfriends into your own life/language... I do that too, sometimes, especially with the "Oh, heeellll no!" and trifling, etc. I didn't know what sadiddy was, so I had to look it up, but I know now... Oh, and I do say "the hell" all the time, and "all up in through here" alot too! I have to say I LOVE the character of Veretta Childs (Toni's mother), and I sure hope she can come back on the show... I miss her personality. 
    Oh, and you said you wanted Joan's Profession and Toni's wardrobe - well, I have to say I agree with Toni's wardrobe, but I also really, really like Joan's wardrobe as well... 
    One small note here: I always thought I heard the phrase as "classlESS and egregious", (like the person has no class was I wrong? Is it actually "classIST and egregious"?   LOL!  
    Edited on 04/29/2007 8:32am

caseynrbq

[8]Apr 29, 2007
    • level: 1

TO: lilkunta - 
    WOW - I'm proud of you too!  That's great that Girlfriends had such a positive and powerful impact in your life!  Excellent! 

lilkunta

[9]Apr 30, 2007
    • level: 6
    THX Hutton & Casey!

Hutton75

[10]Apr 30, 2007
    You're welcome.

Dzyres

[11]May 7, 2007
    caseynrbq wrote:
    To: Dzyres: WOW! That's so funny that you incorporate the vernacular of the girlfriends into your own life/language... I do that too, sometimes, especially with the "Oh, heeellll no!" and trifling, etc. I didn't know what sadiddy was, so I had to look it up, but I know now... Oh, and I do say "the hell" all the time, and "all up in through here" alot too! I have to say I LOVE the character of Veretta Childs (Toni's mother), and I sure hope she can come back on the show... I miss her personality. 
    Oh, and you said you wanted Joan's Profession and Toni's wardrobe - well, I have to say I agree with Toni's wardrobe, but I also really, really like Joan's wardrobe as well... 
    One small note here: I always thought I heard the phrase as "classlESS and egregious", (like the person has no class was I wrong? Is it actually "classIST and egregious"?   LOL!  

Lol. Thanks. Glad you pointed out the more serious aspects of Girlfriends Lilkunta and good job as well.

The poem by Syvad about AIDS sweeping the black/African nation has always stayed with me. He performed it at my school in 02 I believe and I had it on his cd, but hearing it again on the show was powerful.