Girlfriends

The CW (ended 2008)

Girlfriends Fan Reviews (116)

• A candid and comedic look at 4 very different friends and how their lives are playe out because of their bond. Add in that one guy that can deal with the estrogen, and you have a great look at upwardly mobile, fun and educated African Americans.

I slept on this show for the first 3 seasons. I don\'t even remember what I disliked about it. I think I referred to it as a Living Single knock-off; I missed Living Single, and there was no kind of replacement. After going away on business, being stuck in a hotel room and watching a marathon on BET, I was hooked. I watch re-runs every weekday and the new episodes on Mondays. Girlfriends is a positive, yet honest and REALISTIC look at the lives of African American women, whether they are educated, focused and driven or wandering to find themselves. This show doesn\'t play favorites. Everyone\'s success is a personal one, and celebrated amongst friends...GIRLFRIENDS!
  • Sex and the City meets Living Single

My #1 show.I absolutely love this show. This show is so under-rated! It is one of the few I can relate to. I think it doesn\'t get the attention it deserves or the awards. The actress and actors are some of the best. Much respect to UPN and Kelsey Grammer.
  • I agree with a previous member, BRING IT BACK.

I agree with a previous member, BRING IT BACK. At least give us some closure. Let it end like it should've, not like it was coming back the next week. I hate to say it, but lots of shows with primarily black characters seem to end this way and it's just not fair. We'd like to see our shows last and again even if it was coming to an end, let it end right. It would have been nice to see all of the ladies either get what they were looking for or go off into the sunset looking as if they were getting what they wanted.

Bring it back...PLEASE!!!!! I miss it.
  • Bring My Girlfriends Back!

Since the very first day I picked up my remote and stumbled across my very first peek at the show, I was immediately hooked! It was soon after that that I saw a piece of me in each of the starring characters. From the youthful urban nature of Mya, to the manicured erratic Joan. I cited myself in the strings of each and every episode. I found comfort in Mya's fibroid removal surgery after I had cysts removed from my ovaries. I also connected with Lynn during her journey through celibacy(which I am still as of today). I even related to the excessive vanity of Toni. It truly feels as though A part of me was abruptly taken away. How do you finish a book if the ending is ripped out?
  • It's a shame that a good show like this isn't returning! I wish the CW actually read these comments so they can see how people feel about their shows and how most of them cater to the CW--"CLEARLY WHITE" PEEPS!

IF they weren't going to bring it back, could they at least have given the show(after 8yrs)and its fans, the common courtesy to have a finale? As desperate as Joan was to get married, we should have been allowed to see her have a wedding!They could have shown Joan and Toni patching things up!What about Maya and Dornell's decision to adopt and Lynn finally becoming successful?That terrible show Gilmore Girls was allowed to have a finale-I HATED that show!! Watched it once-twice to actually have an opinion. I hate shows where the kid acts older than the parents! The CW is getting rid of all of their good shows. What's up with that new show "priviledged". That's what the CW needs-another show about rich,spoiled teenagers-I don't think they have enough shows like that! When they get good, true to life shows like Girlfriends and The Game, they put them in the worst time slots then wonder why ratings are low! They should have kept them on Monday nights-even Sunday was ok. Now they are moving The Game and Everybody Hates Chris to Friday nights--a night when no one's home. This looks like the last season for both of those shows. Why not put Gossip Girls and that Priviledged show on Fridays?
  • They remind me sooo much of me and my friends

They are the perfect example of a female frindship in todays society. Joan represents all the women who just can't seem to find Mr. Right, even though every other aspect of their lives is on top. Toni is the one who represents the women who are using their money and status to cover their painful childhood.
  • A dynamite show!

Hi, Friends:
    I think “Girlfriends” is a hip, relevant sit-com. More often than not, all the cast is “hitting their mark” with good chemistry. “Girlfriends” flows smoothly from one scene to another, providing me with laughs at every turn!
    I like Joan’s expressive voice, mature good looks, and sometimes motherly ways. Maya is sexy and always expresses her opinions with verve. Lynn is the cutest, and I oftentimes wish the writers and producer would more fully develop her character. Jill is a trip with her doctor/husband! And, William cracks me up sometimes when he’s forced deal with these chicks!
    My opinion: A thoroughly professional and well-done sit-com! Many thanks to the Cast and the creators of the show.
  • I am ever so curious as to why the character played as Toni, was either written out of the script, fired, quit WHAT???WHAT???WHAT???

The show had a worthy come back, I am one who looks for holes in scripts. The script was tight, there was enough suspense, particularly with the William, Monica thing. Even though the script supports Toni making a change and it appears the writers knew she was leaving, so I have to admit it was well done. I guess we dont really like that kinds of chance, we tend to want things to remain the same, which is not real. Life is about chance, chance happens whether we like it or not. So I guess we have to accept that Toni is gone.
    So I will give it a 95
  • please bring back "girlfriends" the fans deserve to have our show back or at the very least give some type of closure. also keep the dvd's coming

girlfriends was a great. it was a good show for young woman and the fans deserve some closure to a great show. how about a made for tv moive 2hrs or 4 hrs over one day or two days. we deserve to see Joan get married and to see William and Monica have their baby, and Lynn getting her act together finally and maybe even bring Toni back so and have her Joan once and for all work out their issues and of course Maya and Darnell. bring the show back or give us something.

give us our show back
  • This show was once refreshing and enjoyable, easy to relate too. But over the last season and especially this one I now feel that it should have wrapped everything up last season.

0.6
    After what has been put on this season I now firmly believe that it should have ended nicely last season with the possiblility of television specials. The writing is awful and they are unable or unwilling to correct alot of the things that have gone wrong. They seem concern only with the opinions of themselves or certain viewers which is sad becuase without the other viewers they probably would not be on television. This show has turned into a disgrace a mother cussing out a newborn and making threats this has been done but Toni is the type of person you believe would act on it. To be benefactors of different organizations especially with & for children then to do this is sending a conflicting message! This is comedic in no way whatsoever.
  • I have to say this show is the best. The actress and actors did awesome jobs and the show will also influence to young women that we face today. We would love the show come back and so we can enjoy the life that we have today. I have to say that thisis gr

"Girlfriends" was the one the best shows I have ever seen it!I truly miss that show. so bring it BACK!!!!!!!!! Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes bring it back bring it back bring it back bring it back bring it back bring it back bring it back. bring it back. bring it back. Bring it back. Bring it back. Bring it back. Bring it back. Bring it back bring it back bring it back bring it back bring it back bring it back bring it back bring it back bring it back bring it back y
  • "BRING TONI BACK!!!"

i love the show girlfriends i watch it every time it comes on but i just wanna know where is toni?? to me she made the show what it is!!and i really think they should bring toni back into the show. and take monica out!!!but anyways keep up the good work!
  • 'Girlfriends' is a comedy which provides an open, honest exploration of the hot button issues about family, friends, relationships and life facing women today.

‘Girlfriends’ is hilarious yet it is a very adult show. I would recommend it to anyone. They cover all series topics such as aids, dioceses, custody battles, even the occasional cat fights. When you think about it one of the topics the show discussed are bound to happen in real life. They covered all of the bases. Although the results aren’t always good from their struggles they do what they have to do and in the race of life that always leads you to satisfying finish. That is what they are trying to show which is why it is a huge inspiration to me and thousands of women I give this show a perfect 100%!
  • TIGHT!!

This show is tight. The comedy is good. The acting is good. The PLOT/story is good too.
    This show is about 4 girlfriends that well hangout and help each other through problems. This show is one of da best on tv. I dont see why some people dont like this show. I wish it could stay on for a long time.
  • Grlfriends is about a four black sucessful women living in Los Angeles: Joan Clayton, Maya Wilkes, Lynn Searcy, and Toni Childs. Also, there is Reggie Hayes.

Girlfriends, in my opinion, is really good. I love all of the characters. I think they portray there characters really well. I love Tracee Ellis Ross, Golden Brooks, Persia White, Jill Marie Jones, and Reggie Hayes. I think the show would not be the same without these five characters. I think they show the lives of hard working people. They go through everything; relationships, friendships and everything. But, mostly relationships. I think that this show will come back every season with something good. I love the show in short. I think that my favorite character on Girlfriends would be Lynn. I think my favoite character out of Joan, Maya, Toni, Lynn, and William would be Lynn because she is really weird. Or in other words different. She brings something different to the show. That is why I like her.

• Girlfriends

Airs Next: The CW at Sunday 9:30 PM (30 min.) ,
    Status: Ended, Premiered: September 11, 2000, Last Aired: February 11, 2008, Show Categories: Comedy, Drama. More Photos GIRLFRIENDS revolves around the friendship of three African-American women from different walks of life. They explore the many trails and tribulations that most women face today such as relationships, family, friends and other hot-topics that interest universal women. Whether is getting over a divorce, finding a career or simply looking for true love, GIRLFRIENDS delivers along with comedy and wit.

GIRLFRIENDS is a production of Happy Camper Productions and Grammnet Productions in association with CBS Paramount Network Television Inc. Creator Mara Brock Akil, Kelsey Grammer, and Regina Hicks all serve as executive producers for the show.
  • Girlfriends,I must say this show will be miss by many!

This is a great show. I can't believe they are canceling the one of few good shows that depict women in many different aspects of life.I am a busy woman who does not watch much tv but do if the show is worth watching and I can relate to the show. At least let the fans get a great finale ...Great show! It is both funny and deals with true life issues. I am very sad to see it go. Hopefully something can be worked out to save a great show. It has a lot of life. I strongly believe that!
  • Girlfriends is one of my favorite shows thats out right now. It has Drama, comedy, and alittle reality.

Girlfriends is the show that has Comedy, Drama, and alittle reality. Although One Tree Hill is my favorite show of all time, Girlfriends really keep me wanting to watch more of it. I did not get a chance to watch the last episode but I know it was good. My Favorite person on the show is Joan because she's crazy like I am and very smart. She knows how to take care of her self and she knows how to dress. Another characteristic that I have.lol Everybody that is reading this review should watch Girlfriends and if you do then Good For You.
  • I lovve the shows girlfriend. it might favorite show. I look at the show everytime it come on. eventhough i saw all the espisodes i still look at it everytime it come on.

I lovve the shows girlfriend. it might favorite show. I look at the show everytime it come on. Eventhough i saw all the espisodes i still look at it everytime it come on. All the girls or my favorite chharacter and william. I like the ways thay act and hepl them with their problem. All of them or all success women doing what they have to do,to get by. I like the friendship they even have with their friend williams.They should keep coming out with the show
  • "Love" is the only word i can use to describe "Girlfriends"

Each Monday at 8:00 pm cent time three of my B.F.E (Best friends Ever) and myself sit down with a bowl of popcorn and four glasses of pinto, and watch \"Girlfriends\". We LOVE this show, never have i seen a TV show that inspires me in all aspects in life: Fashion, Love, Family, Friends and so much more. Seeing four strong BLACK FEMALES, reflected in a positive light is a great and important statment, and i feel that there should be more shows like it. The fact that a TV show starring an all black female cast and is going into there 6th season (and still going strong)is a amazing triumph for an extra amazing show!!!
  • I've read the other reviews and I have to say that I disagree with the comments about the show going downhill, and I have good reason......

First of all, the show is not "The Brady Bunch". It is a representation of the bond of friendship between four African American women. This show humanizes the experiences of the African American woman. Toni, Lynn, Mya and Joan represents the different triats of different types of Affrican American women. As you know, the lives of African American women are not "Brady Bunch" like, they go through a lot and I think this show captures that beautifully. There are ups and downs and the fact that these four different personalities can come together and form such a strong bond is remarkable. Another aspect of the show that works is the characters of William and Darnell. Although they are very different as far as education, career and social status, they share identical views that comes from the African American man. I like that they're bring in Darnell in a lot more this season. I like that the show attack real issues and that they don't sugar-coat anything. This "negativity" that the show is going through is identical to the ones we go through in our own lives, and like our lives, it does not stay that way forever. Be patient, things will get happier soon. :-)
  • Great Show >>>

Girlfriends is about 4 ladies going through different hardships, in this show we have seen cheating,hook-ups,break-ups,birth, and more but these girls get through. This is a great show for guys, in the long run it is just very entertaining for both genders,still going strong, Girlfriends is set to bring more surprises for the future.
  • This show is about how much women are really close to there friends and act like they are family. How they can rely on them through thick and thin. They can tell each other anything and it says between them. How they can share there personal lives with ea

This show is really great it is an inspiration to me. I wish I had a friendship like they do. How they can share anything with each other and be comfortable telling one another. How there are different personalities in a freindship. Like the sucessful independent one, the outspoken one, the self observe one, and the one trying to get there life together.It takes inside of a real women friendship. How the difficult marriages and relatonships they get into and how girlfriends are supposed to be. It shows you close the bound is between women.So you would enjoy this show.
  • Great Time Slot, Great Cast, Great Show.

It’s often referenced as the African American version of Sex and the City. Whether you agree of disagree, the poll always rolls in that UPN’s Girlfriends is definitely a network hit worth watching.

Admittedly, the first season launched itself at a snail’s pace. It was difficult to find substance in the initial episodes that focused on sex, and the lack of. Not to mention the constant plight into Joan Clayton’s inner most thoughts or pang of guilt. It was like a bad version of Herman’s Head on overdrive. And perhaps the producers caught on.

It wasn’t long before viewers could rest assured that an episode of Girlfriends would be just that – all Girlfriends without the clutter of indulging yourself in Joan’s latest brain wave. And I thank the producers dearly for that wise omission.

The characters of Joan Clayton, Antoinette “Toni” Childs, Maya Wilkes and Lynn Searcy are all well developed – and easy to relate to. And don’t forget William Dent, the honorary girlfriend that always manages to stick around and keep the show grounded with a male point of view.

As the show enters into Syndication, it’s interesting to look back upon the earlier episodes and identify how each character has evolved whether it’s for the better or for the worse. Happily ever after has no room on the Girlfriends roster – at least not right now. Save that for the Series Finale. Right now, this is a show that isn’t afraid to deal with real-life issues (i.e. AIDS, STD’s, and Divorce) while adding a pinch of drama to the plate to make it tasty. With each season Girlfriends entertains the viewers with better episodes and meatier plots. And though it might be hard to believe – even Toni seems to find the ability to fall deeper in love with herself as the show grows older.

Whatever the fact, this is a show about relationships, friendship and finding contentment out of this thing called life. And who better to share such a journey with than your, Girlfriends.
  • Just Talking About About The Show And When I Went To Go See The Show

This Show Is Funny I Mean When There Talking About Something On The Show Their Serious And Funny At The Same Time. I Watch The Show Everyday At 4 & 4:30 And On Modays At 9:00 To See The New Episodes But Can Wait until The New Season Starts Again. I Had Just Went To Go See One Of The New Episode And The One I Saw Was The Frist Episode Of The Season I Saw The Show At Pararmont Studios It Was Very Funny But I\'m Not Gonna Tell U About It. Your Just Gonna Have To Wait Util The New Season Starts
  • i felt like one of the girlfriends lol

i miss this show so much it was such a great show and so well created this would have to be one of my favorite shows because it was so nice to see a show based around four best friends that isn't like sex and the city where its kinda and i don't mean to be rude but kinda naughty where is this show just makes you feel like you are part of the gang not like your just watching a show and not doing anything. i really wish that Girlfriends wasn't canceled it was such a great show and so unique.
  • This show is just like Ciara's dancing, it is da bomb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I think that this show should stay on for at least 7 seasons and hopefully another cause when u get to the count of it, you can always say that this show will give you laughs, drama, and crazed girls but that is how life is when you go to Los Angeles,CA!!!
  • Girlfriends

I love girlfrinds i can say it kind of related to me and some of my best friends the way the are with each others neck but still there for one another when friends come first then guys but you choose the guys and later you get dumb or cheated on and there still there for you..this show is great funny sad at times make you cry well it make me. i love maya ghetto kinda relates to me lol lynn is also cool even though i seen all episodes i never get tired of seeing the reruns they put all the time
  • GIRLFRIENDS...A GOOD CUTTING EDGE SPOT OF ENTERTAINMENT.

I was introduced to the show by my daughter. Who loves the show! I would like to see the show produce both possitive as well as negative, that way they won't burn out so soon! I hope to see the show go for the long hall and maybe see a spin off!!! I wish the best to all of the cast! Oh yes....I would like to see William prosper more than he is!
  • Good