Girls Forums

Sunday 10:00 PM on HBOBetween Seasons

Thoughts on Season One

HelloStuart

[1]Jul 16, 2012
    • level: 63

No comments on the show, one year in? Staggering.

Even though I don't agree with the critical consensus insofar that Lena built the environment of the show from very get-go, to me it felt like the show didn't really find its rhythm until episode 3 or so. The first two episodes felt too much like a post-grad female version of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" (never mind the S&TC comparisons) but it clicked once the core four characters found their footing. That's not to say the first two episodes weren't funny, of course; I'm just saying the other eight were much stronger.

My only lingering nitpick is that Dunham et al. writes such weak male characters (a/k/a "the boys of Girls"). Even though Adam saw the most development over the course of Season 1, his gawkiness and neuroses did wear thin at times. In other words, Adam was just as much of a loser as Charlie, Thomas-John, Jeff, even Ray. It'll let the alliterative names (Hannah Horvath, Shoshanna Shapiro, etc.) fly for now.

Your thoughts?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Kartana

[2]Aug 10, 2012
    • level: 9

Wow, still no comments. I just watched episode 6 and think the series is spot on except for one think. 'Fat' girls like Hannah wouldn't have that much sex... lol

Other than that, it's a weirdly funny show. Still don't know what to make of it but I'll keep watching.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.