Glee

Audition

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Sep 21, 2010 on FOX

• What happened to the New Directions we've come to love and enjoy? These kids are like the Stepford Glee Club!

Okay, I'll admit that I'm a Gleek, and I'll excuse a lot of the 'timetable' issues that are so plentiful in an average Glee episode. In fact, I'll forgive a lot of the character development issues as well, simply because I love the music in the show, and the fact that the after the first 5 or 6 episodes, I felt the show started to hit its stride last season, making the characters somewhat believable rather than caricatures representative of most high school cliques.

That being said, the season 2 premiere was HORRIBLE. The show digressed back to the choppy, incoherent, overly ridiculous effort that riddled the show's premiere episode last September. From the opening segment, revealing certain tidbits of information regarding the member of New Directions, it was apparent that this show was reaching for something, but had no idea what that was. Not to mention the fact that some of the information shared was completely inappropriate. From Santana's breast implants to Puck's vasectomy, these "How I Spent My Summer Vacation" moments were incredulous and offensive for a show that presents the characters as typical American teenagers. While the writers managed to divert attention away from Puck's special surgery, the innuendo (sometimes subtle and sometimes blatant) regarding Santana's enhancement should have never made it to air.

So, all surgical enhancements aside, the writers did no favors for any of the characters in the Season Premiere. Let's take a look at some of the low-lights…

- Rachel sending her apparent new rival Sunshine to a crack house. Like Rachel would even know where a crack house is, let alone have the address readily available?
    - Finn getting kicked off the football team for his passionate attempt to get Artie a tryout on the team
    - Sue using Brittany to accuse the new football coach of molestation
    - Will so easily being manipulated by Sue to attempt to ostracize the new football coach

Ironically, the only character that seemed to rise above the ridiculous behavior of the shows regulars was Coach Bieste, the new football coach. It seemed she was the only character the writers even attempted to make sympathetic for the season opener. I'm confused by her stance of kicking Finn off the football team for his apparent "…attempt to make fun of her handicap…" where it would have been more appropriate to kick him off for just being stupid. I can't help but wonder if we're going to learn Coach Bieste has a family member that is paralyzed a la the revelation of Sue's sister last season.

Even the music in this episode was well below the standards they had set last season. It seems the show is going to attempt to utilize more of the current hit machines ("Empire State of Mind," "Billionaire") rather than focus on what they do best – group dominated vocal arrangements of show tunes and pop standards that feature the individual SINGING voices as well as the exception harmonies they arrangements have accomplished in the past.

Personally, I think the writers were simply trying to get through the opener so they could focus on the upcoming Britney Spears episode. My only fear is they are going to screw that up just as badly as they did the opener. The show took nearly half a season to find its footing last year, but when it did, it took off like wildfire. The season opener set the show back considerably, and it can ill-afford to take another half-season to regain it's momentum or it can, as Rachel sang, "Kiss today goodbye."