Glee

Choke

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM May 01, 2012 on FOX

• Bravo Glee - you brought it back!

I have to say this was my favorite episode in a long, long time (as evidenced by the fact that I haven't written any reviews in months). It had everything going for it - really good music, good acting, and - best of all - a series of great plot lines. And Whoopi!

Some of the musical numbers, IMHO, were fairly weak (like the "Rain in Spain" number) but I'm sure there are folks out there who loved it. Rachel's "Cry" was so heartfelt, so emotionally raw that it was spot on and apropos for the moment. All I could wonder was how she must have felt after "choking" and boy did she answer. Kurt's "Not the Boy Next Door" was really well done and showed off Chris Coffer's talent. I wasn't too wild about the "Cellblock Tango" number, but the pared down "Shake it Off" clearly made up for it.

The Bieste storyline was terrific. Roz and Sue's support was really amazing (hearing Sue actually call someone by their real name and act humanly in a time of crisis!) and totally believable - something that Glee often asks viewers to suspend, but not this time. So totally unexpected and something Glee needs to do more often. I was literally sitting with my mouth open when Bieste admitted that Cooter had actually hit her. Wonderful.

Now we head to the season finale in a few episodes. This is going to be a tough balance - how to make it poignant, meaningful, fun, and Glee without going to any one extreme. I hope they can continue the success of recent episodes and reclaim some of Glee's lost glory.
CW