A Glee Community
FOX (ended 2015)

Glee S05E12: "100"

Aww, poor "freshmen" of Glee. Have any of them had any substantial screen time since the show's return from hiatus? Glee itself seemed to mock that idea this week by pointing out that Rachel didn't know Ryder's name (though, as a senior who graduated before he arrived at McKinley, why would she know his name?), but while that sucks for the new kids, "100" presented those of us who've been longing for some old-school Glee TV with a goofy love-letter to the best parts of the series. The milestone 100th episode managed to transform what was essentially a wake for the disbanded New Directions into a passionate celebration of everything the club ever accomplished, as well as the the role McKinley had in shaping its alumni before tossing them out into the world. 

That said: New Directions totally isn't going anywhere. It may have ended up with the least likely and most demented guardian angels ever in Holly Holliday and April Rhodes, and things may still look bleak as of the end of "100," but I still believe that this is effing Glee

With the series' looming expiration date and a confirmed move to New York by the end of this season, Glee has quite a few loose ends to tie up in Ohio. I entered "100" with no delusions that much of anything would be addressed, but ended up pleasantly surprised by just how much McKinley baggage was unpacked:

Puck and Quinn

Quinn showed up with a fancy old-money boyfriend and a slight Betty Draper attitude in her manic desperation to play the part of a bland, blonde Stepford girlfriend at all costs. Puck showed up in an Air Force uniform and through the magic of song, they came to realize that they are, in fact, soul mates. 

Speaking of soul mates: Quinn acknowledging Rachel as Finn's and Puck wondering if Finn forgave them for all of their baby-bullshit back in the day was not okay and by "not okay" I mean that it was perfect. 

Brittany and Santana

Brittany escaped the prison of her accidental genius to make the trip back to McKinley and Santana tagged along with Rachel because I guess it's no problem at all to put Funny Girl rehearsals on hold in the name of some dinky high school in Ohio. Brittany was clearly unhappy with her life at MIT and as much as Santana protested that it took a lot of time and heartache to get over Brittany and she was so not going to move backward—she totally did. Sort of. Also: FONDUE FOR TWO! 

Rachel and Mercedes

Yep, still the actual worst people ever. They immediately started bickering over who was the "best" and even forced us to sit through another diva-off so that the glee-club-that-probably-has-more-important-stuff-to-think-about could take a moment to stroke their egos. When Santana was mean to Rachel (the gift of truth hurts sometimes), Mercedes and Rachel bonded in the ladies' room by conceding that they're equals with each other, but still better than everyone else. 

Anyway, I'm coming around to the idea that on Glee, everyone is the worst person ever at any given time, which could've been a brilliant writing decision except that Glee habitually confuses "complicated" characterization with "inconsistent" characterization. 

"100" deliberately shunned any efforts to be meaningful outside the context of Glee's own little bubble, but in a weird way, it worked. Schue openly rejected the notion of giving a pep talk or lesson at the end of "100," arguing that in the end, the most important thing anyone can take away from an experience as encompassing as New Directions was for its alumni is the memories. 

Glee itself still has a season and some change to grace our televisions and I'm still not buying the notion that "100" marks the end of New Directions for good (they'll find a way!). But as far as goodbyes go, "100" was a good one. It hit all the sweet spots—with more (more?!) on the way! 

MUSICAL NOTES

– Glee playlist: I kind of dug everything this week.

– OMG @ Brittany's cats making out. 

– April Rhodes is ridiculous and I <3 her. 

– I'm still not sure how I feel about covers of covers. I mean, they were fine, but they were covers of covers. What do you think about the approach? 

What'd you think of "100"? Were you happy to see so many familiar faces return? 

68 Comments
Comments (68)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
LOVED the Brittana moments! BEST ever....and of course Brittany is a genius...Santana always said she was! Really enjoyed "Valerie" and recognize that Santana picked it to convey a certain memory to Britt...and it worked to get her back on her feet....literally!

Loved the Puck/Quin pairing too! Really great!
Flag
it was an AMAAAAZING episode..so good to see the REAL GLEE CLUB with whom we developed actual audience connection....especially BRITNEY S.PEARS :D (heather morris) she is an amazing dancer and her character was sublime, really missed her on the show....the chemistry among the original glee clubers was spot on......before finn's death,show was promoting new memebers but then his death REALLY affected the show(even audience,...i wasnt able to watch the show for 4 months) and the new comers were put at the back ,despite they being really good especially that character MARLEY is an amazing singer ,beautiful (resembles lady diana a bit) ,good chemistry with RYDER, anticipated to be the new rachel ,but got in the background.......

LAST but not the least.....the F.R.I.E.D.N.D.S refernce was superb!!!!....nice episode...reminded me why i loved glee in the first place
Flag
It was very nice seeing Heather ( Brittany) and Diane ( Quinn) again, singing and dancing.

Too bad it was probably a one-time appearance though.
Flag
Anyone who know how I feel about Glee knows the following three things:

1. Brittany Susan Pierce is a national treasure and arguably one of television's all-time greatest characters.

2. I enjoy Fondue for Two to the extent that I whole-heartedly support spinning it off. I would watch it live every week, while also DVRing it so I could then watch it repeatedly.

3. I love when the show can point out how ridiculous it's become.

That being said, all the Brittany this week (not to mention Lord and Lady Tubbington making out) and Sue's rant were pure gold. Although Sue should go easy on the jungle set, at least they got more than one song out of it.
Flag
LOL at the cats making out. Someone please make a gif of it if you know how to do that.
Flag
I haven't enjoyed a Glee episode like that in a very long time. I have missed Brittany so much. And best of all - Brittana. Finally! &3
Flag
When Quinn's boyfriend was going off on her in the parking lot, I can not BELIEVE that he got any further than suggesting that Beth would show up looking for money before Quinn slapped him or Puck knocked his lights out.
Flag
Brittany!!!!!!!
Watching this episode made me realise just how much I miss the old Glee.
Highlight for me was the dance number with Santana, Brittany and Mike.
Flag
These kids are actually really horrible people, right? Always ready to backstab one another, that's what I was thinking while watching. So they never really grew up, huh?

- I really can't find myself pitying Rachel, she's being horrible, then cries because people are horrible to her in return. But it's nice that she and Mercedes got a tie, both of them stated in different moments that the other one was better. But since Rachel's new rival is Santana, I don't see how the issue of her insecurity is resolved.

- Personally I dislike this obsession with high school love always and forever. I hope Brittana never happen again - and I hope someone told Brittany about Quintana!
But Puck and Quinn were cute.

- I can't stand seeing Schuester or Holly.

Overall the episode started strong and then went really down to depressing. It was like they were trying to resolve too many storylines... that's what happens when you write badly, you can't just patch things up with one episode.

The songs were nice, I remember how they were, but hated Holly, didn't like April on Raise your glass and Brittany didn't sound like herself on Valerie. Loved Mercedes on Defying Gravity... it would make more sense for her to be Rachel's understudy, she at least gave the musical career some thoughts in the past.
More+
Flag
"Rachel, you're currently reharsing for the lead role in a Broadway musical, you're also working full-time as a singing waitress at a diner and enrolled full-time as a student at NYADA. Would you agree that it's slightly irresponsible for you to leave NY for an entire week for no other reason than the glee club's been canceled?"
I love it when Glee is making fun of itself &3
p.s. Fondue for two, I really missed the old glee :')
Flag
It's not like I remember how the original covers sounded so I don't know if the recovers were similar to the originals or not. One thing's for sure, they were hardly outstanding at best they were good, shouldn't we expect more from do-overs? As for the episode well I really enjoyed the couple-based stories (except for Rachel and Mercedes obvs) because of their attention to character. There was far too much going on (please no more Gwyneth Paltrow!) and as a 100th episode special it didn't work. I remember when they did the Super Bowl episode in Season 2 (one of my favourites) when Ryan Murphy said they prioritised making a great episode and not just a Super Bowl themed episode. I wish they'd done the same thing here.
Flag
Please no more Gwyneth! Yes the episode felt all over the place for me too, it was just too full!
Flag
God, it was good to see Brittany again.
Flag
It seems like Brittany is not quite a fully-started student in MIT.
Flag
I laughed when Mercedes was annoyed that there was no red carpet for her arrival coz all I could think was you've been back like 5 times by now. Poor Ryder although I bet Santana doesn't even know his name either lol. Loved some of the call backs to the older seasons. I swear April aways seems to have the same kinda thing every time I see her but oh well.
Flag
Not gonna lie...for a minute there I didn't even remember his name. It really speaks to the lack of impact any of the new characters have had.
Flag
But Santana helped with musical rehearsals! Rachel never had any interaction with the New Rachel XD
Flag
I actually liked pretty much everything about this episode. Except April. I love Kristen Chenoweth but April Rhodes annoys the crap out of me for some reason. Anyway, this episode really reminded me of the good ol' Glee days when I actually loved the show and didn't constantly think "Why in the hell do I still watch this show?!" I'm hoping the move to NYC will bring some life back into this show.
Flag
I think April Rhodes was a bit too much this time
Flag
I had absolutely no expectations on this episode because I thought they'd mess it up anyway.
I was pleasantly surprised! It was a nice little reunion and I loved to see Brittany and April again. (I also loved April saying that teenage marriages are stupid.)
The bathroom scene was really good. I don't always like Lea Michele but she sure can do a dramatic scene.
And the dancing was nice. And the covers. I liked "Raise your Glass", "Valerie", "Toxic" and "Happy"(not a cover - but I liked Holly dismissing g yet another of Schuster's ideas) - so, almost all of them.
Sure, the Newbies didn't get much (any) screen time but I think that was clear from the beginning. This episode was for the "old" glee club and it felt also like an apology or something to the old fans. I don't think RIB do not know that they messed up.
I don't want to rant again how it could have been and what the writers did to this very good series, let's just say: it was a good episode.
Flag
The episode was alright. I loved April's interventions, especially the gift she gave to Kurt and Blaine. It was nice seeing everyone back.
Flag
I actually thought that bathroom scene was quite touching; Rachel being "surprised" that she is one of Mercedes' demons, was kind of real, no? Like, people who are bullied lash out a lot sometimes, and without realizing, become bullies themselves. I may just be reading too much into that, though.

I enjoyed Mike & Puck's dancing, but thought Brittani should've just stayed at MIT. Love Fondue for Two, but can't stand her personally, sorry!
Also, did anyone else think that comment about Unique remaining a virgin for a long time was really mean? Although April's comment about teen marriage was spot on!
Flag
Oh god, yes, that joke was awful. I thought I didn't really get it but apparently I wasn't the only one who found it inappropriate.
Flag
I really would've liked that Rachel snapped back at Santana, when she was asked for Ryders name:
San: "Do you know that kids name?"
Rach: "Do you?"
San: "Rick, Ryder, whatever... the point is..."
and then would go on her ranting

I would give this episode a 7,5/10, it wasn't bad, but could've been better...
Also Holly seemed a bit off? It was like she wasn't really happy to be around the kids... Maybe the acting or the writing?
Flag
I was very confused by Holly - I don't remember her character talking like that? I was not convinced that Gwyneth was playing the same character...
Flag
This just made me miss the old days even more, lol.
Flag
I kind of disagree with the idea that New Directions/Glee Club will find a way to come back. I mean, isn't the point of the rest of this season/next season a shift in focus to New York? So......there wouldn't necessarily be any relevance for the McKinley glee club anymore, right? I think they may actually be done. But I guess we'll see.
Flag
Both short April and tall Holly were guilty but they will try and save the glee club. But it won't be that hard because Throat Explosion will get framed and disqualified for the drug substance addiction during their nationals performance and Sue Sylvester will get framed, expelled and jailed for gun setup situation, either if it is in school or at home.
Flag
the "Keep Holding On" Moment, that was too much, I remember the first time Finn, Rachel and Quinn were the leaders of this song. Leah Michelle is a great actress, I dont know how can she go there and be so professional. I almost cried just to remember. For me this was one of the best episodes. But I really miss a Quinn/Rachel moment.
Flag
If they make Quinn and Puck endgame, then I will forgive Glee for the last two years and everything...even Quinn's bad acting in this episode.

Also, Santana and Rachel are disturbingly thing--like Lollipop head thin that basically distracted me the entire episode.
Flag
you r soo right....santana and rachel have LOST WAYYYY TOOOO MUCH WEIGHT.....i mean they are like sticks about to break-thin
Flag
I loved that Glee set a theme for the episode and then immediately deviated from it. "Today we're going to celebrate New Directions by only performing songs that have been sung in this room." "Lets start off with a Warblers song" "Sounds good." And they ended the episode with an entirely new song. I feel like that was the greatest celebration of all for Glee.
Flag
I was happy to see Brittany and Quinn reunited with Santana. I really don't care about the rest of the characters anymore. Puck is fine, but whatever.
Flag
God that Toxic scene was amazing!
Flag
So short April and tall Holly were both the guiltiest women in this show for turning the New Directions' glee club down due to their faulty chaotic financial mess incident. Now they are going to try and save the glee club immediately.

But we still hope that Throat Explosion will get framed for the drug substance addiction and still hope that Sue Sylvester will get framed for the gun setup situation, even if the gun is in school or at her home.

The biggest disappointment in this episode is the absence of Jayma Mays. I know she still busy filming in "The Millers", but at the same time, she should appear in this episode and of course she does not need to sing in it!
Flag
See RBI? Was that so difficult? This was almost Glee at it's best, back in S1-S3; we had a diva-off, Fondue for Two, Brittana, Quick, Suenami, April, Holly, sentimental Shue, one-liners... the works.
It still had a few, uhh let's call them, problems: Becky (sorry, but it's getting worse, I can't stand her); this week's human background were Marley and Kitty ( Ryder and Jake said like 5 words each).
The songs were OK, the new arrangements were OK, but I liked the original covers the best.
The best moments:
- the split-frame Rachel/Mercedes voice over
- Mercedes: I'll got sit in the back of the bus (oops!)
- April to Unique: Much the same way you'll stay for a very long time
- April to Klaine: Wedding night sodomy (yikes!)
- Jake: I don't know, one's black, one's jewish
- Sam: Why is it Broadway if most of the theaters are not on Broadway?
- Biff: loved to hate him
- Brittany: Rachel, you landed the lead role in Funny Girl, work full time as a waitress and are a student at Nyada, don't you think it's irresponsible of you to leave for a week? (See people, even RBI know they are ridiculous)
Good episode: B+
More+
Flag
You may be right, but one would expect them to have grown up a little. To find them falling into the same situations is ridiculous!
Flag
By the way; I checked the math; it is 6.
Flag
Brittany is a genius...just like Santana has always declared!
Flag
Let's discuss Quinn & Puck getting back together.
Flag
Endgame please. For real. I always rooted for them and I want it to be a happy ending. However, isn't Puck already enlisted? How can he be asked to stay anywhere?
Flag
I think puck may drop out of the military just to be with Quinn but who knows?
Flag
The military isn't college, you can't just drop out. When you enlist you agree to serve a predetermined amount of time. If you quit before that time you can be put in jail.... The only way he can get out is if he gets injured and can't serve.

Personally I think it's best if they let Puck go and do his military thing. Grow up a bit and then come back and continue his relationship with Quinn. It's realistic and true to his arc.
Flag
ok well it's tv you never know what's gonna happen
Flag
So what's the new name? Not-Glee? Anything But Glee? They dropped the Club to make Glee, will they drop the Way to make Broad?
Flag
glee is a owrd not settting.
Flag
it stands for glee club. hollywood likes dual meanings, so it is also the emotion, but let's be honest, that word has been out of common usage for a century, so it's mostly the setting.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    Training Day Sunset
    NEW
    CBS