A Glee Community
FOX (ended 2015)

Glee S05E15: "Bash"

There's something kind of icky about Glee using violence against a gay character to push a straight black character—one who has some complicated-yet-understandable reasons for distancing herself from her straight white boyfriend—into taking her albino boyfriend back, but kudos to Glee for Grown-Ups for at least acknowledging that the problems its characters face in New York are much more multifaceted than the ones they faced in Ohio. The stakes are higher; the wise, trusted teacher isn't there to point them in the right direction, and the right direction isn't as obvious anymore. Still, the fact that a storyline as serious as a gay-bashing was relegated to B or C status in favor of yet another Rachel-is-too-precious-for-this-world plot and ample focus on Mercedes and Sam's messed-up, star-crossed heteromance, especially considering that this episode was blatantly named "Bash" and that Kurt's beating dominated the promo. It was almost a "bury your gays" situation except that Kurt got to live. 

Prior to his attack, Kurt attended a candlelight vigil for another friend who had been hurt by total strangers during a startling increase in the number of crimes committed against gay people in New York City—a trend that is actually totally for real happening. I know. WTF. Papa Hummel showed up to voice his own disbelief with regard to the reality of hate crimes being committed in NYC. Kurt was supposed to be safer in the vastly diverse city, the home of Broadway and Stonewall and fashion week. It was supposed to be his escape, his chance to be himself, real and unfettered by bigotry. It's a sentiment held by so many individuals who grow up feeling stifled in small towns full of narrow minds, and Kurt's experience was an extreme mirror of what often happens once those free spirits and other sundry weirdos make it to their sanctuary: It's not perfect. Problems don't just disappear. Even New York City has its share of bigots, hate-mongers, and other flavors of douchebag. It's just a place, and places only mean what we want them to.

That sentiment was also apparent in this week's episode of The Rachel Show, when we saw her once-fanatical devotion to NYADA wither as soon as Carmen Tibideaux failed to properly bow alongside the rest of the little people in Rachel's life. At one time, Rachel wanted nothing more than to attend NYADA. It was the most important goal in her life. It was a stepping stone on the way to greatness—like, a HUGE stepping stone on the way to greatness. She was devastated when she initially didn't get in, but times and circumstances have changed—as has the meaning of NYADA for Rachel. Once she was cast in Funny Girl, NYADA's stature was overshadowed. First it shrank to a small stepping stone, and then barely a stone at all. 

Rachel doesn't need NYADA for Funny Girl, and truthfully, she may never need NYADA. Kurt made a good case for the school and a college education, but the current reality of Rachel's situation is that NYADA isn't what she thought it would be, it doesn't fill the need she thought it would fill, and while at one time she would've happily sold he soul to get in, she's now equally as eager to GTFO. Situations change. 

Which brings us to Mercedes and Sam. In their case, situations changed very quickly, and in the span of one episode, they went from "never dating again" to "broken up for questionable career reasons" to "back together forever." Mercedes thought that her budding musical career would give her limitless freedom to explore her art and her interests and to live life to the fullest degree... only to learn that she may or may not be restrained by a different set of standards. Her back-up singers warned her that dating a white guy sent an odd message to her black fans, that it could alienate many of them. Her professional life conflicted with her personal life, and for now, Mercedes has seemingly opted to tend to the personal side of things, but this is a conflict that will repeat itself time and again, in one form or another, for as long as Mercedes finds herself out in the workforce. 

There was a lot of chatter from a lot of people in "Bash" about the kids from Lima, Ohio becoming real adults now, with real adult problems and real adult responses to those problems. In earlier episodes, I would've accused Glee of trying too hard to push the point, because Glee always tries too hard at not trying too hard and that's half the problem with Glee"Bash" was a surprisingly mediocre episode after a string of refreshingly good ones, falling into some of Glee's old exploitative-ish patterns of relegating actual big storylines to the back burner for the sake of RACHEL OMG RACHEL SO PERF, but the fact is, the shift to New York has ushered in a growth spurt for the former perpetual high-schoolers, and a healthy dose of harsh reality for a series that routinely rejects it because reasons. And you know what they say about reality: "Once you are Real, you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand." 

MUSICAL NOTES

– Playlist ranking blah blah: Everything Amber Riley sang was perfection. 

– Sam: "It's really hard for a straight white man these days." Blaine: "We should probably change the subject."

– Rachel called Tibideaux a failure. Classy. 

– "Whoever wrote this fan-fiction really sucks." "Actually, George Lucas wrote this one." Admit it, you peed a little. 

– Countdown to Funny Girl never opening for some reason, forcing Rachel to go back to NYADA and grovel for her place in class? 

75 Comments
Comments (117)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Final question that needs to be answered: We know that Corey Montieth has both family and drug problems throughout his life before he died, but does anybody he think that he was badly overlooked and turned down from the entire public and ended up in a tight rehab for showing both POOR and ERRATIC love technique at the SAME time?
Flag
I actually never understood why Kurt never got attacked in high school, god knows teen agers can be hateful and violent. I really liked his part of the episode, it gives his gay storyline some realness.

Considering that Rachel didn't even know NYADA existed, it's no wonder that now it's not enough for her. I really hope that she ends up failing, you can't just think that Carmen is a nobody who doesn't know what she's talking about. I hope the realness gets her too, but it's Glee, so...

I don't really care about Samcedes, Sam's like a robot just trowing himself at the first single lady he finds, except Rachel, because she is to be a widow forever.

In general, I like the NY turn, Glee in its adult form is kinda refreshing.
Flag
RE: Kurt never getting attacked in HS... remember Karofsky?
Flag
I meant being physically injured. They spent a lot of time saying how much bullying he went through, without actually making it real IMO
Flag
Hey now, don't just SKIP all the Sondheim on the playlist rankings! Even though some of the numbers fell flat (I get where they were going with "Im Still Here", but the song just DOESN'T work for someone so young, and at some point you have to let go of "singing" it and just be it.) for me the highlight of the episode was "No One Is Alone". Just beautiful.
Flag
No one is alone was beautiful and emotional *.*
I agree that I'm still here wasn't convincing, but I feel that way for almost every number from Kurt..
Flag
This episode needs to be re-analyzed by getting it repeated during this Summer 2014!
Flag
the recaps should not be this subjective. mary ann sleasman's hate for rachel makes the whole recap completely unprofessional. you can lose your objectivity maybe for your blog, but not for tv.com.
Flag
C'mon, every writer here isn't capable of being completely objective! And can you really say she isn't right about Rachel? I actually think the analysis was pretty objective, and then followed her negative comment.
Flag
I'm not saying I would like her to be "completely" objective, somewhat objective at least, would be nice. She is totally biased against Rachel. And yes, I can definitely say she is not right about Rachel, and if you see the comments you will see that I am not the only one who thinks this way.
Flag
I know there are people pro Rachel, but I still think that the analysis wasn't biased. I guess that's how opinions work
Flag
I liked this episode but for me it just centred to much around Rachel but what ever, Mercedes's performances of natural woman, and colorblind were outstanding. I haven't watched in a while, where the hell is Santana? I missed her presence and brilliant voice in this episode.
Flag
I really liked this episode...like you said in the review..they have to become more mature now and have to deal with real life stuff, then stay save in the class, with all your friends and sing happy songs to feel better.

First Rachel: I know that some people think that she has a attitude ( which sometimes she really has)...but hey...she is good and we all know it.
Like it is said in the review, sometimes things change. You think you want something very badly, but when you have it, it is not what you expected from it and don't forget, she hadn't had a easy time at NYADA, with her crazy teacher..So i felt a bit of proud when she went against Whoopi and told her that she didn't need NYADA...good for her!

Then Sam: I am sorry, but that boy is really annoying and has no goal at all. Why the hell is he actually there?? He has no place to stay, no work, no girlfriend..he makes one mistake after the next.
Like meeting the girlfriends of Mercedes. What the hell was that? I would be so embarrased, if my boyfriend would act like that by a first meeting with my friends...

Mercedes: Loved every song she sang. Was a bit worried about the storyline about being a Black singer and dating a white guy. That it would affect her carreer...i think that is a whole lot of crap. Her carreer should not be defined by who she dates, but by her talent...so i was glad that she song Colorblind song for Sam...that was a very wise song. Really hope she finds her way in NY.

Blaine: Was a bit in the background this episode...ofcourse you saw him, but not that much...

Kurt: Was so brave. I am gay myself and i guess if i saw another person being hit because of the sexuality, i would help out too, with all risks...
Nobody should live in fear because of what they are...that is crazy. We all live ones and we all have to live together on this planet..why can't we not let every one just be and live happily....sometimes i dn't get people..really!
But i liked that they brought up that subject, as most people don't realize how many times this kind of thing happens to someone on a daily base..it is sickening!!

I really like where Glee is going the rest of the season and again like last week, i didn't miss the rest of the glee club back in Ohio at all. The only person i miss, is Sue Sylvester...she was awesome..Good job Glee!!
More+
Flag
""Bash" was a surprisingly mediocre episode after a string of refreshingly good ones"
I would say the opposite, after a string of mediocre/dull episode, this one was refreshingly good! I really liked the dynamic of the group in NYC (and great direction by Bradley Buecker, specially the frames when they all receive the call about Kurt).

And I agree the bashing would have deserved to be a A plot but Glee already brought that topic out several times so it didn't bother me to be a B plot.
Flag
The sequence of the phone calls gave me chills, so good!
Flag
Did anyone notice that Blaine tried to give Kurt a kiss at the end of Kurt's "Im still here" performance ?

Flag
Yeah this episode was out-of-control and it needs to be repeated during this summer of 2014.

I have a question right now and it has to be answered right away:

Does anybody think that the New Directions was badly overlooked?
Flag
Badly overlooked by whom or what?
Flag
Sue Sylvester on the New Directions and then, of course, overall, the strict TV critics watching this show?
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
WOW creepiest, dumbest, flat out most terribly and stupidly preachy and heavy handed episode yet!!!

So Rachel quits instead of re-scheduling her critique because she has no time off Funny Girl, yet she has time to attend Kurt's critique... All she had to do is schedule hers right at that time slot and she would have been fine, right?

HOW FUCKING DUMB DO YOU THINK YOUR AUDIENCE IS?

Is there no rock-bottom for Glee?

And to think I used to LOVE this show...
Flag
Sam: "They call me white chocolate." Ever notice that Sam tends to act really weird around black people who aren't Mercedes?
Flag
Can we all just take a moment to "awww" at Papa Hummel mouthing along to Kurt's performance? Loved that little touch!
Also, I'm really over Sam. I don't think his character brings anything to the show; had to fast-forward through the scene of him meeting the back-up singers because it was so painful.
Good songs in this one, though!
Flag
Why is Sam here instead of Tina? Can you imagine Tina going to Broadway? Sam is like every other character in ND that got written off because they hadn't purpose... but of course he's hot, so he's gonna stay
Flag
I was embarrassed for him... I had to skip that scene
Flag
Sam: "it didn't mater if you were gay,black,white,Tina..." - was cracking up at that one.
Flag
I'm actually okay with it being the Rachel Show... she's really the only reason I watch. I don't like how obvious it is that she's being set up. That producer is going to pull her for missing practice for some reason, recast her, and she's going to have to try to get back into NYADA. Why didn't she just take the semester off? Oh, right.. that's logical this is Glee. Silly me.

I hate to see Rachel fail and as someone who's determined as she is, it sort of seems out of character to not see these short comings. For her to not prepare for educational/career disasters.. it doesn't really fit. She's that girl that at the beginning of freshman year had her whole class schedule figured out for the next for years. Idk, it just rubs me wrong. I'd more expect her to get beat up in a dark alley because she's so focused on her future and disconnected with reality than Kurt would.

I REALLY liked Kurt's character growth in this episode. I don't normally pay any attention to him, but it was huge how he stood up to those jerks, because A) that's how his dad raised him, b) Finn would have, c) it was the right thing. That says SO much about Kurt's actions. It also says so much when his dad came it. They all but said, "don't do things like that because Finn isn't here to protect you any more," and "you're the only son I've got left now." Really big character development for Kurt.

I really wish Glee would leave racial issues out of the show. And I'm just going to leave it at that.

Not that I'm complaining, but are we ever going to see the high school kids again? Just a brief clip to know that they're moving on in their lives, Mr. Shu (sp?) get's a new job, Emma has the baby? .... no?
More+
Flag
You're right that Lima Rachel was paranoid-organized, but it's been a while that NY Rachel just goes with the flow, never really thinking things through..
Flag
Can we all agree that Kurt would never run into a fight the way he did? Especially three guys on one. That was totally out-of-character. We all know the real Kurt would have quietly called the cops and hid behind the wall (which would have been the smarter thing to do anyway).
Flag
I don't agree, even in high school when he and Blaine confronted Karosky, he pushed him away! I think he got more confident and brave!
Flag
Its obvious that they are setting Rachel to fall at some point. What I don't understand is why couldn't she just take a leave of absence from the school, instead of going crazy in front of the school's most acclaimed teacher. Given that she is a sophomore, and has a gig lined up which should have been supported by the school considering it is a performing arts school, she could have easily temporarily withdrawn. People do it all the time in universities, sometimes with no good reason as Rachel's. It seems like to me, this whole Rachel quitting thing was only added for drama's sake and it wasn't even good drama because it doesn't make any reasonable sense.
Flag
Madame Tibideaux isn't "the teacher". She's the DEAN.
Flag
What is the difference between "quitting" and temporarily withdrawing? Is it because she is doing it in the middle of a semester?
Flag
Usually if you temporally withdraw or don't register for a semester, you're still enrolled in the school but you're just taking time off. Rachel pretty much said f it, and renounced her status as a student at that institution. She could have easily took one semester off instead of completely quitting.
Flag
Usually when you bash Rachel I understand it (even though I disagree for the most part) because they can write her like an obnoxious diva and it's a well that they've gone back to too many times this season but this wasn't one of those cases. This wasn't a storyline saying "OMG RACHEL IS THE BEST." No one was stroking her ego or treating her like a "special, special little flower." She's at a full-time performing arts academy and the star of a Broadway musical, this was a story that needed to be told at some point because there's no way she can effectively do both. And while yeah, at one point Rachel wanted to be at NYADA more than anything, she only ever wanted to go to NYADA so she could be on Broadway. Not only is she now on Broadway, but she's the star of Funny Girl which is her dream role and basically all she wanted. She couldn't have imagined she'd score her dream role at 19 (which only happened because, Glee) but why would she give up the only reason she signed on for NYADA just to go back there so she could, what? Maybe someday in the future play Fanny Brice on Broadway in a different production? The fact that you don't seem to get that or are just looking for any reason you can to complete your weekly "I Hate Rachel" diatribe, is disappointing.

More+
Flag
Yes but Rachel fails to realize that ON BROADWAY there is always going to be someone BETTER waiting to snatch the part. Santana should be the least of her worries. Putting all her eggs in one basket is supremely foolish and for her to speak to Madame Tibideaux like that was even more foolish and also telling of Rachel's immaturity. She's got a long way to go. And I think we are going to see that after Opening Night.
Flag
I can't wait. But I doubt Glee will go that way
Flag
and Kurt thought it appropriate for her to do the play, work at the diner, go to NYADA and perform in his band. I wish the show would get real with the obvious jealousy affecting Kurt and Santana so they can use it to move forward with their own careers rather than stick it to Rachel. Tearing others down to feel good about oneself is not a good strategy.
Flag
Maybe Santana, but I don't see Kurt being remotely jealous of Rachel... it's been a long time since he's being a rival to her, even the midnight madness was just to help her get real again
Flag
Obviously, this being Glee, Rachel will 'learn her lesson' and return to NYADA. It really annoys me, because Rachel is right to put Funny Girl first right now; it's her best shot at her dream. Tibideaux was being needlessly petty in my opinion. I don't get why Rachel and Blaine did a duet when that wasn't the assignment; that's a pretty stupid thing to do and not realising Tibideaux wouldn't like that seems out of character for Rachel. And why couldn't Rachel just sing that song (or another one) by herself right then and there? Wouldn't that have just solved everything?
Flag
All Rachel learned is that being a star has consequences - people will resent it. Getting a college degree won't get you a starring role in a musical. Experience as a lead in a musical will get you more work. Rachel was wrong in doing the duet. NYADA isn't Glee club where you do whatever you want and that includes writing songs the night before nationals. Over time it's obvious this author does not like Rachel. So a biased article is not that much fun to read.
Flag
This week, we're pretending rehearsal time is a thing. Also, Shue taught them you can ignore assignments and do whatever you want.
Flag
I enjoyed reading the review (as per usual!), but......I have to say, I disagree with you regarding the Rachel story line. I complain A LOT about Rachel in general, but this week wasn't one of those times for me. She was definitely juggling a lot more than she could handle (full-time student, full-time waitress, full-time budding Broadway star), and something had to give somewhere. I don't necessarily agree with her choice or the condescending way she handled it, but I totally understand where she's coming from. Her dream has always been to become a huge Broadway star. NYADA was a means to that end, but now she's landed her first starring role, so of course she's going to chose that over staying in college. A lot of real-life successful actors, singers, Broadway performers, etc. don't have college degrees. She thinks she's doing what's best to foster her dream, so who can blame her?

As for the rest of the episode, I really liked it. I understand what you're saying about how they handled the Kurt story line, but I also think TV shows often tease sensational happenings just to get people to tune in. In this case, I am not entirely sure what else they could have done. I thought it was handled well, they made their point, and they moved on. I think it's all part of the process of "waking up" the kids to the realities of the real adult world (or, you know, as "real" and "adult" as we can expect from Glee).
More+
Flag
I'd argue that Rachel's plot was the C-plot considering it got like three scenes and Kurt's plot is the one that opened the show.
Flag
I liked the episode and thought it was really informing, 'cause I would've never thought that violence against gay people is such a huge problem in New York! But there were two things that kinda pissed me off:

First: I don't care about Rachel anymore. Maybe she WILL be a star without NYADA, maybe she WON'T. Maybe she'll regret her quit, maybe it was her best choice ever. Somehow or other: ONE DOES NOT JUST SIMPLY INSULT PEOPLE WHO GAVE YOU A CHANCE! Calling your teacher a "lunatic"- who probably trained you best of all teachers- and naming your dean- the freakin' boss of NYADA who didn't gave you one, but TWO chances to get in- a "failure" is NOT okay! Show some respect, Berrybitch!

Second: I can't get over the fact that Sam and Mercedes polluted the water! Maybe I'm a little bit too sensitive about this point, but seriously! First Sam throwing MONEY away, and then Mercedes by tossing her coat overboard, even after the careful lady told them "You can't just throw your shit into the river!". Not cool, Samcedes, NOT COOL!

Flag
Rachel's just too ungrateful, that should comes back to her
Flag
Bingo and she forgets that Cassie July wasn't a lunatic. She was testing Rachel and gave her a freakin party to celebrate her callback.
Flag
so sleeping with a student just to spite rachel is not being a lunatic?
Flag
What she said about Carmen was uncalled for but Cassandra is a total lunatic.
Flag
It didn't make sense for NYADA to have Cassie as a teacher in the first place
Flag
No. She was testing Rachel. She knew she had it in her but needed Rachel to endure the fire.
Flag
But an adorable lunatic! At least in my opinion. :)
Flag
I actually thought the episode wasn't bad, it just wasn't as strong as the previous one. Rachel was a special kind of awful, but at the same time, she's right about leaving NYADA. While college education is important, she wants to work in show biz. The actual experience you get is way more important than the place you studied at. But I feel like every episode is just Rachel being terrible to everyone and then apologizing, only to start being terrible again two days later.
Flag
I'm getting a little tired of these scripts for Rachel. They put her in impossible situations where whatever she does will be wrong. Everyone else good, Rachel bad regardless of circumstance. That is not real and it's not very entertaining - totally predictable now - each week, same thing.
Flag
Rachel is vile, but Tibedaux must be a failure. Those who can't do, teach.
Flag
Looks like I am the odd one out here, but I loved this episode...weird, two in a row! I think the move to NYC was the smartest creative decision ever. I also love the Broadway trend with the song choices, especially the Rachel/ Blaine duet and Kurt's solo...not Blaine's solo lol, so bad, not a good choice.

I still love Rachel, she is so dynamic, expressive and fun to watch, even though ya, she does get really high on herself. But hey, end of the day, I love her solos.

I didn't mind the split storylines either, they gave a big cast a lot to do, and they did it. That is just how it's going to be when you have to give character development to an ensemble cast...multiple simultaneous storylines. Kurt's story didn't feel pushed to the background for me, but then I also never watch the promos, so I had no expectations.

Overall, I love this new Glee, which is amazing since I was so done with the show before and only holding on because it was so close to the end.
Flag
I didn't really care for most of the songs, but I did like the episode in general. Just like last week, a definite improvement having no McKinley.
Flag
So Rachel was too busy to do her midterm solo but not too busy to attend Kurt's? Sorry but any other school wouldn't have even given her a week. I understand her choosing her career over school but the setup to getting there was absurd. I kinda hope Funny Girl gets panned by the critics and Rachel ends up at Coyote Ugly tending bar. So tired of the Kurt and Rachel show.
Flag
But it hasn't been the Kurt and Rachel show forever. Blam get more time then they have a a year and a half now.
Flag
I found it really strange that they'd devote so much time into Rachel being insufferable in an episode that would deal with something as huge and important as gay bashing. I can somewhat see Rachel and Kurt's fight being a ploy to make it more dramatic, but Rachel's very human and understandable comment on "What if I hadn't left?" only served to annoy me further because she was once again turning the focus on her. At this point I know it's way too much to ask for consistency in the characters' writing, but the whole "Rachel is a Star and the world has to bow to her" got old a long time ago and hammering that key only makes her more and more unlikeable.
I never really felt the Mercedes/Sam chemistry they keep talking about over and over again, but their struggle was also valid and beautifully paralleled with the central theme. Mercedes' songs were absolutely amazing and I will spend the rest of the week listening to Colorblind on repeat.
Needless to say that 99% of the scenes with Burt and Kurt have me in tears. If there is one thing that Glee has always gotten right is the relationship between them.
More+
Flag
And yet they spent even more time on the awkward Sam and Mercedes plot took up more time that Rachel's plot.
Flag
True. I basically only started paying attention to Sam and Mercedes when she sang because her songs were the best ones by a mile. But still, Rachel has the focus in almost every episode. The amount of time they devote to her along the seasons also contributes to showcase how inconsistent their writing for her in special actually is.
I agree with her decision to quit school to play the part, but it could have been a much more pleasant scene if Rachel hadn't made things extremely personal by saying "I'll prove you wrong!" to someone who was clearly concerned for her future and then calling her a failure.
Flag
I thought the Kurt being beat up was redundant and took focus away from the bashing. People should be sympathetic to the issue regardless of a personal connection. I think the show wasted an opportunity for a lesson here by moving it to Kurt being hurt and the whole dialogue with his dad. I also think they fluffed over the inter-racial relationship issue by making it be more about economics -not selling cd's. To be honest, I became less engaged as the episode went on so I could have missed some points. I was hoping the New York storylines would be different but it still seems too high school for me.
Flag
No it was a normal thing to ask. She didn't dwell on the fact she left it was just an observation . And when did she ask any one to bow down to her? She had little choice really flunk school or quit Fanny? Quitting the musical would have harmed her repaution more thant leaving school.
Flag
Yes, it was a normal thing to ask, I said so as much. It doesn't change the fact that aside from the song that opened the gay bashing theme, the beginning of the episode was dedicated to Rachel first getting her way with the director guy, then openly doing a duet when what was asked was a solo performance and then throwing a fit because her teacher wouldn't bend the rules for her after she showed no respect for what the assignment entailed. She says Carmen hates her, but who let her enroll in the first place even after she forgot the lyrics on her audition? And you can clearly see how much she was enjoying the performance before Blaine stepped in.

When did she ask anyone to bow down to her? She's been doing it ever since the show started. What Santana said about her a few episodes ago, that she was mean and would backstab anyone in order to get a solo? Despite Santana being vicious herself, she wasn't very much lying about that. Remember when she deliberately sent a girl into a bad neighborhood just so she would miss the solo auditions? Yes, it is a comedy series, but she did have a borderline psychotic approach to being in the spotlight while in glee club.

I understand that quitting school must have been a very difficult choice for her future and for her dream, but still, the writers insist on turning it into a "Rachel vs. the world" show. We all know she's talented, everyone in glee knows she's talented, but still, every single person who points out to Rachel that what she's doing might be reckless gets turned into this horrible villain who is jealous of how brightly she shines. Instead of focusing on the fact that Nyada and Fanny were two things she's always wanted and that choosing between them was hard, the writers made it a "No one believes in my potential and I will prove everyone wrong!" and this time it was college that was "holding her back!", which is so tiring because it's been 5 seasons of that already even after we've established over and over again that Rachel is that one in a million person with true star potential.

Also, Rachel's idea of friendship seems to be "I will support you no matter what" and whenever one of her friends has a different opinion than her, they're instantly pegged as traitors. Santana certainly had it coming, but Kurt approached her very calmly and she still lashed out at him. She's always been the central character and even more now that Finn is gone, but the way the writers give the other characters their own valid struggles and in the majority of times find a way to shoehorn Rachel's view of it and how she "learns" from them, like they did with Artie, is just getting ridiculous.

I try to see things from her point of view and I try to like her, but the writers aren't making it easy. I think Ryan Murphy forgets that this isn't American Horror Story and he can't simply reset the characters at the beginning of every season.
More +
Flag
Rachel was just laying out her options and she chose the right one. A producer is going to put experience in a leading role over a school she attended every time. It was a good short example of the choices a person has to make. In any other industry it might be different. I do not think that Rachel is being all that arrogant - at least when compared to the other characters who are also quite arrogant. But, they do like to put most of that on her and that is unfortunate.
Flag
I do agree with her choice! But the fact that the writers orchestrated it as if she's on this quest to becoming a star without any support from anyone ever is what gets on my nerves! She left Carmen's office by saying "I'm going to prove you wrong!" as if Carmen didn't show how much she believed in her by letting her enroll in the first place.

I'm not saying she's arrogant just based on this instant, but weighing in everything she's done over the run of the show, I am tired of this routine of whoever points out to her that she might be getting ahead of herself, regardless of it being true or not, being a villain and not someone genuinely worried about her future as Carmen was. Rachel seems to view every obstacle in her path as people being jealous of her, and even this very understandable decision to quit school over an actual part ends up becoming this when she calls Carmen a failure.
Flag
I'm torn about this episode. The thing is, the whole bashing thing felt real, because there was no follow through: guy gets beat up by anonymous attackers, ends up in the hospital, attack is reported to the police (maybe, we didn't see that part) and then... get on with your life, because nothing else is going to happen.
It's TV, so they are supposed to follow through and give you a resolution on the attack, but they didn't, because most of the time, there is no resolution; we only hear in the news about the ones that get solved. Chris did a great job and so did the other actors; they are friends, so they were able to reflect the pain and worry.
Candidate for this week's FTW? Maybe, not sure.

About Rachel, again torn; she worked so hard to get into NYADA and it was all NYADA all the time in S03-S04 and now, college is not for me??? For me this goes into the WTF category this week.

On the lighter side: Oh Sam!

The music:
- No One Is Alone: meh
- Natural Woman: awesome!!
- Broadway Babies: OK
- Colorblind: buying the single ASAP!!!!!
- Not While I'm Around: OK
- I'm Here: OK

Not as good as New New York, but not bad either.

More+
Flag
I am with you about the written content of the episode. I didn't care for it at all. That's me. So so a C-. Blah. The music. Some great. Some not. Like more most ost of Glee now days.
Flag
Staff
Your music rankings are right there with mine! Everything Amber Riley did was perfection tonight.

I'm torn on the episode too, but mostly because I felt like for being the entire focus of the promo last week, Kurt's story ended up being kind of minor in the big picture sense of the episode, and (kind of like my issue with the school shooting storyline) if you're going to do a big important thing like a gay bashing, you need to focus on it and do it justice. :/
Flag
Agreed.
Flag
AMAZING EPISODE. glee is better than ever
Flag
I fell asleep. The Lea Michelle show is getting more boring every week.
Flag
It should be the Santana and Mercedes show, there voices are stunning and every thing sing is perfection.
Flag
Ypu are joking she had less time then the Sam and Mercedes storyline and about the same amount as the Kurt stuff. Plus last week she had half as much as Blaine.

Wow people make up a lot of stuff.
Flag
Lea has had one solo since the Quarterback and about 6 minutes of face time in most of the episodes this season. So, out of a 44 minute show, she gets about 15%, not counting group numbers. Part of that might be that it's still hard for Lea. Sam has had far more time than Rachel and Blaine even more time.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members