A Glee Community
FOX (ended 2015)

Glee S05E01: "Love, Love, Love"

There was a time, not so long ago, when Glee had an actual story that viewers were expected to follow along with, and hopefully find enjoyable enough to come back for more. It was a pretty good story that centered a group of musical misfits and their hilariously exaggerated enemies, with a pinch of satire for good measure. The music was always important, but somewhere along the line, the music—and not even really the music so much as the sale of the music—became everything. As the show progresses, the obvious shift in its priorities is getting harder and harder to ignore. What is Glee even about anymore?

Last season's big school-shooting story, which began to fall apart almost immediately following its surprisingly well-done lockdown sequence, was officially brought to a close in the Season 5 premiere, "Love, Love, Love," with a casual line from Sue Sylvester revealing that Becky had admitted the gun was hers, allowing Sue to return to her post at McKinley High. Once reinstated, she promptly framed Principal Figgins for all manner of things unbefitting a high school administrator and claimed his position as her own. 

Even though Becky's story was flawed since—well, since its very inception—it still opened the door for some honest and important discussion about the way we deal (or don't deal) with mental health problems in this country. Turning Becky into Glee's "shooting star" was a big WTF, but it was a WTF that could've been something great. Or at least good. Instead, we learned that Becky "'fessed up" and is currently serving out a month-long suspension. Glee opted to ignore the compelling problems it created for one of its characters because, let's face it, the inner turmoil of a lonely, scared, and mildly disabled teenager doesn't lend itself well to bombastic dance numbers and iTunes sales. Better bring Sue back ASAP to play the cartoon villain and forget about that one time the show tried to make a point about something that wasn't completely batshit crazypants. 

So in other news, Blaine and Kurt are engaged. Teenage marriage! Yay! So healthy! So not co-dependent or hasty or irrational! Blaine even got a bunch of rival glee clubs and Santana and Rachel to drop everything and fly out to Lima with their piles of magical disposable income to help him propose because it's not like they have jobs or classes or responsibilities or anything. Glee is a consequences-free zone.

Whatever, Rachel proved just how professional she is by sassing the casting director who turned her down for Funny Girl, citing her inexperience and general greenness—which weren't unfair assessments! I'm sure shaming him in front of numerous diners at her place of employment really proved how mature and ready-for-the-big-leagues she is. Fo' sho.

Kitty and Artie are actually interesting as a couple and THANK YOU, Glee, for not dragging out Kitty's social-status-vs.-true-love issues. However, I'm not going to bother getting too invested in that relationship because the only couple that lasts forever on this show is Kurt and Blaine. Blaine wants their relationship/proposal/marriage/everything to be a "cultural statement" because Glee is self-important to the point of comedy in this leg of its run, and while it's failed to saying any meaningful—or really anything at all—about Becky's mental health problems, Coach Beiste's domestic abuse, or even Dave Karofsky's suicide attempt way back when, it's got the market cornered on saccharine romance masquerading as social justice. Or actual social justice. I don't know. Glee itself probably doesn't even know. 

Still, Glee has returned, and it generally brightens my Thursdays if I don't think too hard about it. The colors were bright and the sounds were polished to the point of inhuman preciseness—except for Lea Michele's "Yesterday," because the woman routinely manages to strike a healthy balance between emotional expression and technical accomplishment in pretty much everything she sings. (Raise your hand if you saw her in Spring Awakening in the pre-Glee days! Wasn't she fab? Trust me, she was so fab.) 

Next week, Beatlemania continues, featuring songs written after the Beatles smoked weed with Bob Dylan. See you there, darlings!

MUSICAL NOTES

– First Glee playlist of the season! Ummm...I liked Rachel's "Yesterday" and Artie and Kitty's "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away." What were your favorites? 

– Lol @ "Tina Cohen-Agitator" because it's true. 

– Also Lol @ Sue's "You'll be forced to build creepy relationships with teenagers on your own time," because it's also true. 

– Okay, fine. Blaine's proposal—the actual proposal, not that ridiculous, anxiety-spiking display of obnoxiousness (poor Kurt; saying no wasn't really on the table after that). It was really thoughtful and sweet, "My soul knew something that my body and my mind didn't know yet." *sniff* Oh boys, I know I'm mean. I know my mom didn't hug me enough as a kid. I know my heart is two sizes too small. But that was really lover-ly. 

– Tina gets another pity date to the prom. Greeeat. 

What did you think of Glee's season premiere? Do we still hate Kitty? Did Marley even have any lines? Does anyone else miss Brittany as much as I do? 

219 Comments
Comments (219)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
was having problems with my eating disorder. Thanks to Priest Hallifat spell casting. Now my very thing working well and I am happy.
you can email : lifecentre@live.com
klose,( Hamburg Germany.)
Flag
Hello to the viewers on this site my name is Mary Cranor i was married to one Mr David Cranor we live and love each other so much am 52 years of age now and we both have 3 grown up children i and my husband love and care for each other our marriage last for 31 years so few years back my husband traveled to Europe for business he spent about 6 months there coming home he came with a young lady which i was not comfortable with i tried all my best and at the end my husband was able to send this lady out of the house and she return to Europe we love our selves again just as before,but after few years we have been together again an old friend of main who traveled to another country Later came back to America he has been a good friend to me and my first lover during our high school days he invite me for denier but i refuse he begged me because it has been long we have meet each other we only chart on Facebook and Skype so i granted his invitation this happened on Christmas night December 24 2013 i went out with him hopefully i will come home that same day i know i was very wrong so getting there i spend lot of time with him and i spend the night with him in a hotel room it was all an incident and i was very assumed of my self when i discovered what i did,but the most painful part of it was my husband friend saw me with this man which i did not even know he went and tell my husband all that happened,when i got home the next day my husband sent me picking my stuff he said is over that he needs a divorce i was heart broken i don't know what to do i love my husband so much and for the sake of my children i can't let go just like that,i share my problem with my friend we work in the same company she introduce me to a powerful spell caster who also help her in her own time of need his name is DOCTOR OTUOBALLA he help me cast a spell and my husband later came back to me begging me to come back home that was how the great powerful spell caster helped me in fixing back my marriage and getting the man i love back to me am very grateful to him my husband return back to me after seven days the incident occurred,are you passing through problem in your marriage or relationship? the answer is here DOCTOR OTUOBALLA is here to help you too just as he have helped me contact him now with this email: otuoballaspelltemple@live.com
More+
Flag
Another issue they brought up and failed to properly address is when Ryder confessed that he was sexually abused by his babysitter. I don't think that was ever brought up again.
Flag
You know what, MaryAnn, if you hate this show SO MUCH, just don't review it, ok? It was one of the best episodes of Glee - funny, soulful, entertaining. If you want drama - watch Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones or whatever. I don't want drama here, I have it enough in other (good!) shows. It is a dramedy! I want some happy, sometimes goofy, sometimes soulful stuff - and I got it in this episode. It was awesome! Funny, lovely, beautiful - Glee as it was at the very beginning. Don't make something be it never intended to be.
Flag
If Glee wants to be "happy, sometimes goofy, sometimes soulful" and "funny, lovely, beautiful" maaaaybe they shouldn't bring school shootings and mental illness into the mix. Please explain in what context a school shooting is funny and entertaining.
Flag
agree! can't explain it b/c didn't like it - it was inappropriate in this show (and there were many of them last season let's be honest here) i agree that glee should't bite more than they can chew - they obvsly can't do it well. BUT. this episode was really good - it reminded me glee 1st season when we just watch and love all this silly stuff - funny, exaggerated but kind and inspiring i think? so - maybe reload your attitude? try not to concentrate on the negative sides and see some good ones - there were many of them in this episode really.
Flag
Ugh. I have always enjoyed Glee. I love the harmonies, the mash-ups and how they introduce me to contemporary music and the younger generations to the classics. But, this was an all-around ridiculous episode. It drives me crazy when there is no continuity and when storylines are completely ignored. I felt like there were so many stories introduced near the end of last season that - what, Glee decides they just don't feel like finishing that story? It was just so confusing. Like, why is Ryder in glee? I thought he said that he was done and not rejoining? Why is everyone all of a sudden jumping on the teenage marriage bandwagon? Glee spent weeks rehashing what a bad idea it was that Rachel and Finn got engaged but now everyone (especially *ugh* Schuster) is skipping around singing about what a wonderful idea it is for a 17 year old to get married? And even though I thought some of it was romantic, I couldn't get past how pressured Kurt would feel to say "yes", and how cheap airplane rides must be from L.A. and N.Y., and how Kurt's own brother was absent from the escapades and how it wasn't even slightly addressed. I couldn't stand the Sue framing the principle storyline - not even slightly feasible. Also, so bored by the mean girl becomes nice and is replaced by another mean girl scenarios. Glad to see Artie with a story arc but, why start a doomed romance especially when there has been no romantic set up for this couple. And don't even get me started on their hair! Really hoping for some real heart and emotion this year but, so far, manic patchwork storytelling.
More+
Flag
MARLEY charactr is a great singer rite now on show..she should be given a strong story and really hard n good songs coz i know she can sing just as well as( if not less) RACHEL character...
Flag
premier was a lil boring ....may be coz of CORY'S death being in mind....but it was blahhh....BRITNEY was soooo missed!!!....but ppl graduate from high school and new batch comes..so it has to be looked likewise,,,,.... marley was not given much importance,and where is coach beist???? missed her too,,JOE wasnt there as well as SUGAR :///,,,there r no good looking guys anymore :(, at least like good screen presence of PUCK ,FINN and MIKE CHANG....
Flag
I am falling more and more out of love with glee every week. I was such a diehard Gleek in the beginning but since the start of last season it has just been dropping the ball again and again.

They are no longer doing songs that fit the plot but rather picking songs they know will sell and making the plot work around them, half the time they have nothing to do with anything.

Glee needs to go back ot basics and stop rehashing the same old plot lines. The season premier was a big disappointment for me
Flag
I'm not even sure why i'm still watching it at this point. That was a lackluster premier if i've ever seen one. Where was the excitement? Maybe my apathy just got in the way...
Flag
I agree that the series is getting a little ridiculous, it's certainly no longer must-see-TV, it's just good for PVRing it and watching it days later.

But the cast is still very talented, Lea's 'Yesterday' was especially good. But. at the same time these gimmick episodes that just focus on one artist or band have got to stop, the musical numbers just feel shoehorned in, they need to just use the songs that fit the scene like they used to.
Flag
I hated the season premiere. Not just because I don't care for Beatles music. It was the ridiculous stories. The principal gets fired with an orgy of evidence (which in the cop world rarely or never happens) then after he's labeled a sex crazed weirdo he's allowed to be the new school janitor?...Please :/ I'm glad the reviewer touched on the point that Rachel, Kurt & Santana seem to have limitless air miles or a lot of money to constantly fly back and forth from NY to Lima, OH. The ONLY good thing about the episode was Kitty showing that she's not a follower and that her feelings for Artie were genuine and she had the balls we all know she has the say whatever to her social status at McKinley because she cares about him that much. It's still too early to say this season is going to be a disaster, but they didn't start off strong. The wedding proposal was ludicrous too. I love Blaine & Kurt, but it was just..I have no more words
Flag
Oy.. this episode was ok. I had other shows to watch that I watched first but this episode wasn't at the top of my list. I don't know if it is just me but it seems like every single start to the season they click a restart button and just make mostly every character go backwards in their storyline's by a few steps example Sue. I am very happy that you, as the reviewer, mentioned a few of the very messy lot of story lines that were never taken seriously by the show that SHOULD have been taken seriously(another one of those that bugged me was Marley's bulimia, they tried to take that issue on and it made me cringe) But good review :) I am expecting glee to be better in the next few episodes I never look to closely into the season premiers or pilots of tv show's anyway.
Flag
I want my boyfriend to ask me like that...ok not with the singing, but what Blaine sad to Kurt was really romantic....like i said before season started, i hope they show how difficult it can be, to be married at that young age, as it happens in real life with so many young people in love...

Artie and Kitty...what shall i say...how the hell did that happen???

Loved the song with Rachel en Santana in the cafe...was really awesome...!!
Flag
I think it would be a good idea too to show how hard it is to be a young married couple, but this is Glee! No way will Kurt & Blaine have any issues. The money will be limitless and love will always be strong. Blaine will wake up with his hair perfectly done and Kurt won't ever complain about not having enough "alone" time. They're a good fit as a couple but the writers sren't going to tank their romance on the show with too many "real life issues"
Flag
I keep hoping...that would be nice to show that things aren't perfect all the time...that it is easy to ask someone to marry you, but keep that marriage working and happy...

Let's see how the writers are going to work that one out...hopefully not the way you described it, even if i am afraid, it will be something like that...:(
Flag
This might be the first time I was tempted to turn the episode off. I've never been so bored with an episode of Glee like this time. I'm sorry but a Beatles tribute wasn't needed for me... Also the proposal? How old are these kids?? What's wrong with a normal relationship and getting married when they are in their early twenties..
.The only thing I liked was the Kitty and Artie storyline, because Artie so deserved to have a girl for once... O and Rachel and Santana working in a diner added a little bit realism in it... until they started dancing and singing... can't imagine any manager would approve... but that must be just me...
Flag
It is a diner that put on shows they are singing waitresses it is based on a real diner in NY.
Flag
I felt the same way. A Beatles tribute definitely not needed and the diner scene was something out of Coyote Ugly. The season premiere has me worried this show is on it's way out and I miss Brittney and Lord Tubbington!
Flag
I miss Brittany. SO much!!
Flag
Fondu for two! I miss Lord Tubbington too :(
Flag
ME TOOOOO. *group hug*
Flag
Thank you for mentioning the lack of resolution or follow up on Dave Karofsky's story line.
I quit Glee long before that eposide but every time any news from the show reach me I want to simultaniously weep and bang my head against nearest available flat surface.
BTW, what happened to Adam?
Flag
Kurt implied they broke up! I wanted a Karofsky storyline too!
Flag
This was honestly an appalling episode, by any standard. Even Glee's.

As mentioned by other commenters - Ryder's suddenly not leaving the Glee club even though people teased him about it, Kitty suddenly caring about Artie in the space of a week, Tina (who is apparently sad and bitter because she blew the lid on Artie's humiliating deal with Kitty and the boys' response to that was that she just needed a man???).

But there were just bizarre moments, like the discussion of the cake in the Too Young to Be Bitter club. The random mildly racist mentions of "black John Lennon" and "I'll date Sam because he's the least gay and Asian" (being black and Asian are the same thing, are they?). The fact that there are apparently no job roles at McKinley high between Principal and Janitor. The fact that apparently McKinley High is willing to hire janitors with signed copies to Mein Kampf at all rather boggles the mind.

The bit where Kurt and Blaine got back together and Blaine said "I've prepared a little something" and Kurt said "so have I" - surely this willingly breaks the suspension of disbelief of all the impromptu songs and implies that the marching band's uniforms are largely being paid by Blaine's limitless bank account and penchant for school-wide dramatic performances? No wonder the rest of the school hate them.

I was so ridiculously pleased that Kurt and Blaine finally got back together, but let us not forget that technically, these episodes span a week. Somehow Blaine went from begging Kurt to take him back, to planning a proposal, and persuaded all of his friends (and enemies) to join in with it despite the fact that only Sam didn't think it was totally insane, in what must have been five days (as Glee Club, despite taking up the characters' entire social lives and seemingly meeting every afternoon - when on earth do the Cheerios practice? - does not actually meet then). I feel like a trick was missed - Kurt should have said something like, "Ask me again in two years, when we've actually fucking hung out and our sole interaction for the last year hasn't been singing romantically to each other in the holidays".

Don't get me wrong, I'm an LGBT activist and I love seeing ground-breaking depictions of LGBT people in the media. When Six Feet Under showed the first gay marriage anywhere, albeit in flash forward, I nearly cried. So far as I know, the scene where Kurt and Blaine lose their virginity to each other was the first time teenage gay kids have done that on TV. But there's that and then there's shoehorning a teenage gay marriage into a relationship where frankly, it has absolutely no place right now. It's insane. And they built an entire season premiere and finale round it! Sure, that's relatable for the rest of us, isn't it? We're all intending to propose life-long commitment ceremonies to our high school sweethearts in order to make a cultural statement. It makes sense.

No, no it doesn't. Like Desperate Housewives, I think that I'm just going to stop watching regularly (after the Finn episode) and come back when the season's done and I can get through it all in one go. Like the characters, like the songs (mostly), but last night was just a waste of my time and I think it's downhill from here.
More+
Flag
Still love this show because I don't take it too seriously. It's my modern day fairytale show and I love it.

I very much miss Brittney. She is my sisters favorite character and is so sad she's not in it. I hope she comes back.

Yay for Kurt and Blaine!

Seriously though-if Tina and Sam even think about becoming a thing I may throw up in my mouth. Also, funny when the guys were lending themselves as prom dates Tina picked Sam because he was least Asian and least Gay. Um.... what in the world is Ryder then? Last time I checked he was neither gay nor Asian.

I like Kitty. I do not like Kitty and Artie. I thought last season they were trying to build a Kitty/Ryder...but I guess not. Darn.

Can't wait for next week-SO excited for Demi Lovato!!!
Flag
What about Jake, who is neither Asian nor gay? Funny how you only mentioned Ryder...simply because Jake's not completely white doesn't mean he's Asian. In fact, he is IN NO WAY Asian...
Flag
I didn't mention Jake because he said he was off the market (He has Marley). But yeah, he is neither gay nor Asian either.
Flag
Wasn't it Jake who said you can pick one them because I'm off the market or something like that?
Flag
I think I may be slowly backing away from this show. The magic left a while ago but I stuck around for Kurt and Blaine. Now their relationship is completely over the top and seems to be more of a PSA than a relationship. I will probably keep watching to see what happens, but I see myself stopping soon.
Flag
Oh, joy; two guys kissing! Just what TV needs, more sexual devaintcy.
Flag
You're the reason this is just what TV needs, unfortunately.
Flag
How so?
Flag
becasue you still think it is deviant.
Flag
devaintcy isn't a word, and you really shouldn't be watching this show or reading this review if you are still stuck in the mindset that 2 guys kissing is deviant behavior.
Flag
Yeah, I made a 'typo' and I bet you a Hillary hairdo that you make them, too. However, THAT'S not deviant. I suggest that you consult Webster's dictionary for the meaning of the word.

Homosexuality has been considered abnormal in most societies, worldwide, since the beginning of recorded history. It's also condemned by all mainstream religions - and by COMMON SENSE. Accordingly, I suggest that you consult illustrations of the physiological differences in men and women. Then, explain how the physiology accommodates 'normal' sex between men.
Flag
>Homosexuality has been considered abnormal in most societies,
>worldwide, since the beginning of recorded history.

Actually this isn't the case at all, but it's a cute, vague, unsourced claim, isn't it? From ancient Greece to Native Americans, homosexuality was often accepted. Widescale disapproval began in Europe with a mistranslation of a Bible verse in the Middle ages.

But even if your claim were true, what merit would it have regarding proper, enlightened behavior today? Most societies treated women as property, kept slaves and thought epilepsy was caused by demons. I should hope you're not advocating for any of those things too? From the Jefferson Memorial in DC:

"I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and constitutions, but laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors."

>It's also condemned by all mainstream religions

Mainstream religions have nothing to say in regard to logic or objective reality. Arbitrary beliefs buttressed by nothing more than divine relation do not form an appeal to authority.

>- and by COMMON SENSE.

No, persecution of others is not supported by common sense. Letting people be who they are is supported by common sense.

>Accordingly, I suggest that you consult illustrations of the
>physiological differences in men and women. Then, explain how
>the physiology accommodates 'normal' sex between men.

I suggest you accept the fact that innate same-sex attraction exists and deal with it. Why do you feel the need to enforce conformity to your (presumed) preferences? That's often a cover for one's own doubts about one's sexuality (scientific studies have found homophobes more aroused by gay porn than normal straight people, and we have a long list of outed politicians and religious leaders).
More +
Flag
I'll make you a drawing <3
Flag
I loved last night's episode!!!! Yes Cory passed away but what you guys fail to realize is that they had to come back two weeks after cory's death to film glee. That is hard and I think everyone of them did an awesome job in regards to that. Also, I love the new commentry they have and I loved all the storylines including blaine's and kurt's engagement, sue being principal and back to her season 1 self and I absotuely love the NY side! Young people get engaged all the time, it does not necessarily mean they're gonna get married, and besides it is just the first episode! They got 21 more episodes to go so we have no idea where the storyline is headed. Glee is all about having fun and singing and winning competitons. Glee always had like 7 or 8 songs in a episode so why complain now? We all made dumb mistakes as a teenager and I think Glee is showing us what teenagers do and how they handle themselves in situations because these things happen in reality all the time!!! So just calm down, relax and just enjoy Glee ;)
Flag
Hmm...let's start with your implication that the episode sucked because Cory died: NO. I mean, I love Glee in all it's craziness, but I don't pretend like its consistent or well-constructed or anything. At the end of the day, Glee rocks because of a few people/characters of which Lea Michele is at the top. Lea (undoubtedly the most affected by Cory's passing) didn't suck in this episode. But the episode was a bit lackluster...and maybe it was because I was pissed that Ryder was suddenly over the catfishing or maybe it was because they continued to treat Tina like a loser...because she doesn't currently have a boyfriend? I don't know. I mean, Ryder actually has reason to be bitter right now, but they spent their time trying to prove to Tina that the answer to all her problems was a boy. Oh and typically, Glee features 6 songs an episode - except for a period during the second half of the first season and the odd episode or two since. Because those songs cost money and its almost impossible to squeeze a coherent story in (even by Glee's standards of coherence) with so many numbers.
Flag
I forgot to add: Poor Tina has been reduced to being Blane's hag, and now she gets a pity date for the dance. Nice job writers! Apparently, singing someone a Beatles' song, can make them instantly feel better and make them be not as miserable as they were 5 mins ago.

Glee handled that perfectly.
Flag
Oh, and the message that no girl can be happy if she's single too long!!!! Gotta love that! I mean, Ryder was clearly more in need of a Beatles pick-me-up.
Flag
Glee is really breaking my heart. Along with the shooting, the whole catfish storyline was brought down by one line. I mean, IMO Unique is really an horrible person, buy she's so cool with everyone and everyone's cool with her.
I hate the teen gay marriage stuff, boring, unreal. So now the world is changing and ready for the gayness except Russia, riiiiiight.
I really want Tina to be a real character, but I'm sure she will end her days like Mercedes did, being underdeveloped.
And enough with Artie and the cheerleader. This feels so rushed to me... I preferred Kitty when she was just being helpful to him in her own way, romance-free.
Flag
I don't think Unique is a horrible person. In fact, that storyline was extremely touching and even realistic (gasp!). I mean, she obviously feels insecure about dating, because most boys still see her as a guy - and Ryder proved that during the Feuds episode. And what do you mean, brought down by one line? I mean, was she supposed to use a whole paragraph to say "it was me"? The storyline lasted a fairly substantial number of episodes and up until this episode it seemed like Glee was actually prepared to see the fallout through...but then they didn't *sigh*. They dealt with it better than they usually do, though.
Flag
For me that storyline was touching, but because of Ryder's hurt feelings. He opened up to "Katie", shared with her his deepest secrets, fell in love. And it was all fake. And Ryder's friends knew about it and did nothing to stop it, nor did anything to help find a solution.
About the "one line", I meant that since Catfish covered a huge part of last season, I would have expected some consequences at least from Ryder, better if from the whole group, at least on Unique, better if on Marley and Jake too. After Finn found out he wasn't Beth's father, it took a long time for him to be Puck's friend again. I would have liked some consistency like that.
I hope I have cleared your doubts!
Flag
Don't like Glee? There is a solution for that.. STOP WATCHING IT!!!!
Flag
Don't like a valid opinion about Glee? There is a solution for that.. STOP READING THEM!!!!
Flag
I'm actually curious about how the characters are gonna evolve, because I kinda care for their storylines. This wont't stop me from being critic about this show. And I like music and singing and musicals, so I kinda love seeing how the music number fit in the episode, I and will be critic about it too.
Also, there is not a single positive comment about this episode below mine, so go tell everyone to stop watch the show.
Flag
Yes, because if you don't love everything about a show, or point out legitimate critisisms, then you must be nothing hater.
Flag
Ok, I'll admit; I was being an asshat with that comment; I was in a bad mood that day; I still love Glee; it's basically the highlight of my week; not as good as seasons 1 thru 3? yes, I admit it; I still like the show; annoyed by the lack of continuity and follow through? yes, sometimes; but it doesn't matter; the music is still good, the arrangements are good; the musical numbers are good; Sue is still as evil as ever, so there's that; also, I ship Klaine, so there's that as well. And Maryann, yes, sometimes your reviews annoy me as hell, but it's because I love the show and think your reviews detract from it; like this time: guess what? TV shows are made for two main purposes: for entertainment and TO MAKE MONEY! Normally by selling advertisement spots for the commercial breaks, but also with this show, by iTunes sales! Ever since Don't Stop Believin' hit the top of the charts, one of the purposes of Glee is to sell the music; don't tell me you're realizing that just now! And it's going to continue in Seasons 5 and 6; accept it and move on; also since this is mostly a comedy (with some drama in it) don't expect in depth development of characters like in a real drama. That's all I have to say for now; I will try to be more objective and conscientious in my comments of your next review.
More +
Flag
So, this episode was a lot of fun, but... has this show been this messy before? It was like, in every scene: "Okay, so I am telling you something meaningful now, and let's sing a song just because." Just SO, SO messy! It just felt like a bunch of songs with a couple of sentences in between. Glee doesn't take its time to focus on what's important (except for Klaine, that is). So why should I care if Tina picked Sam to take her to prom? I don't even know who these characters are anymore...

I should just look away from the fact that this show is flawed on basic storytelling, and just enjoy how much FUN it is. Like those goofy scenes between Sue and Figgins, Sam, Blaine and Ryder's talk about cakes etc. And of course the hotness of those three characters. On one hand I think the show need's to shift its focus, by moving all the important characters to New York after graduation. But I really want Principal Sue, Figgins and the rest of the funny McKinley-characters to stay on the show. And I'm afraid that the writers will run out of ideas if they leave McKinley forever. But since Emma and Will are probably leaving very soon, I think an "all-NY-show" is the way to go.

All in all a pretty... 'okay' episode. It was fun. (I liked the change in the filming department. Everything was glossy, shiny and colorful. Less grainy.) But the sad truth is that I probably only liked two of those eight (?) music numbers... Step it up, Glee!
More+
Flag
An all NY story line won't work because the show is about a highschool Glee club. The writers can continue to branch out and follow some of the more popular characters after they graduate and move, but the shows foundation is at McKinley High and that won't change
Flag
High School is merely a setting. The show as described by the co created Ian Brennan is about following your dreams which extends past High School.
Flag
Well, that would be extremely weird... Considering Blaine, Tina, Artie etc will be graduating very soon this season. Should the show really focus on McKinley, when (basically) the only characters left there are Marley, Ryder, Jake and Kitty?

I see it like this: the show started out with McKinley as its foundation, and now it can evolve. An example: Prison Break was still called Prison Break after they broke out of prison. (I am aware of the fact that some of them got locked up in prison again several times after that, but... you know.)
Flag
I just watch this show out of force of habit since the first season showed promise and I can't get myself to not watch it now, but for the last 4 seasons I've just been like "eh Glee is trying, I guess that's something." But really, it's just getting more pitiful. That's like the third teenage proposal of the show and there isn't any story anymore. It's just essentially a 40 minute long music video with little 5 minute spurts of dialogue in between. I'll continue watching it because I hate myself enough and I like routine though, because now I've just come to terms with the fact that this show is never going to be even a passable show anymore, but you know, I can still see everything blow up in everyone's faces.
Flag
Hmm, I think we can count on at least one great episode this season though. Cory's tribute is likely to make a lot of people cry...honestly, that is one reason Lea's 'Yesterday' was so heartbreaking to hear...
Flag
I actually for once don't know how I feel about the season premiere of Glee....back in s2 it was obvious, s3 was like a reboot, s4 at least attempted something new....s5 felt like not even a premiere but just a quick round up of old sls and can we just move on...I don't even know where to begin...

For starters, why the hell is Ryder still in the Glee club? If memory serves right, he said in the finale he will quit glee club after regionals (or was it sectionals?)

Why is he so cool with everyone?

But overall, everything I felt about this premiere was best summarized by this entire article. This show is not Glee...I can say that for sure now, even if we still get to see Rachel, Santana, Artie, Tina and Blaine and Sam (the OGlees) ...I recently re-watched the Power of Madonna episode just for a fun girls night in...and people, what are we watching today?! And why?

Although most of the songs at least fitted the storylines, for once...I still find myself like uh. And can I just make this one statement while I am here - forget all the ridiculousness and consequences-free zone world that Glee lives in...I mean we have been down that road of teenage proposal and almost wedding with Finchel ...what I always loved about Glee is how it taught people to start considering other people's feelings and how to accept people for who they are....now with the whole Blaine telling the Glee club he wants to propose to Kurt and how everywhere in the world gay marriage is being accepted....then the writers actually give him a line to single out one country - Russia. Can I just ask why? What were the writers trying to achieve with that? Make Glee go into politics now? Point a finger? Question - What about the Glee fan base from Russia, what are we supposed to feel? Because I was honestly offended. Yes, I come from not a perfect country, where the issue of gay marriage is a very difficult subject. But that does not mean that everyone shares the same opinions on it or rather what policies the government is responsible for. There is a difference and Glee, a show that has always been the advocate for many serious issues, should at least be a little more considerate before writing such lines for its characters.
More+
Flag
With all due respect, the Russia line wasn't exactly uncalled for. While I understand that many Russians are undoubtedly more reasonable about homosexuality, there's no doubt that in a time when more and more countries are getting on board the gay marriage train, the Russian government is taking a huge step back. And honestly, if so many people disagree with Putin...on so many issues, it seems, then why aren't they doing something about it. I've spent a bit of time in the Middle East recently, where people are finally trying to do something about their oppressive governments, and if they can do it...

I truly don't mean to be offensive. I certainly don't hold you personally responsible or any such nonsense. But I can't help but get a little tired of hearing "not everyone is like that". I've seen a lot of my fellow Christians in America say those same words about any number of issues, "not all Christians are like that" and I'm a bit sick of it. In the end, those words don't stop the homophobia or the racism or the religious persecution.
Flag
Well, I just feel like the writers should have given Blaine better material in terms of spending more time to convince his fellow Glee club members as to why he wants to marry Kurt while he is still so young, instead of making it all about making a "cultural statement" like he said. I mean, this is Glee - there would not be a single character on this show who would be against gay marriage. The issue here should have been about how young they are and how they are moving too fast given they only got back together in like one day. Don't take this the wrong way, but just like you are a bit sick of people saying "not everyone is like that", I am a bit tired of gay marriage being addressed in the same way on tv - making it all about gender, not about the other important factors like age and trust and readiness for marriage. I mean, even with Finchel, the sl was handled better because it took some time before Finn got down on one knee and Rachel cheating on him....Also with Finchel, everybody made sure to tell them that they were too young....here it was like just lets do this because we need to make a statement, which I find a bit incorrect as marriage should not be about making a statement but rather two people who have this incredible relationship built on trust and love...I mean, Kurt looked like he had doubts, actually he looked terrified at the beginning of that proposal and I feel like he only said yes because otherwise he would let everyone down. Plus, Burt gave Kurt a very wise speech about getting married young. I just wished the episode begun like that instead on putting ugly politics into this storyline.

Also, with regards to people taking action against oppressive governments. I half agree with you that more needs to be done, but then I disagree because I was born in the 1990 and then a year later my country was falling apart. I am not going to give a sob story on how life was in the first 10 years since the USSR no longer existed because thankfully I only have good memories from my childhood and my parents now as I find out did a good job at making sure I did not see all the horrors they saw =) or how life is now another 10 years later and with the current government. But all I want to say is my country has been through revolutions and civil wars, and it all ended badly. So personally, I don't want that to happen again and I hope for another way).
More +
Flag
AS much as I agree with you, I have to point out that this is an American show set in the US, and the Russia anti-gay sentiment has practically become a meme here.
Glee practically breathes pop culture and modern references (out of desperation?), so I'd be more surprised if they hadn't made that quip.
Flag
You're so right, I didn't remember Ryder actually quit! The writer don't either, clearly.
About the gay marriage, I'm from Italy and really I don't see this readyness for the gayness -.-
And the line about Russia was plain lame.
Flag
Oh thank you, not only I see the plot holes.. Ryder...Kitty still not being punished for making Marley into a bulimic....Catfish story..school shooting.
Glee, get it together!
Flag
Well, I know the next episode is the continuation of the Beatles sequel, but that next episode is going to be more interesting to check out, IMO.
Flag
Klaine needs to break up and never ever ever get back together.

And the fact that Kurt's friends and family are encouraging the relationship is beyond sad.
Flag
Eh? Uh, Daddy dearest didn't exactly jump for joy. I think he and Sam are both of the "can't stop it, so maybe I can help make it work" mindset. Not really sure why Rachel or Santana would support it though. I mean, Rachel has firsthand experience, and Santana was always more practical than that.
Flag
OMG Kurt would dismiss Rachel so fast if she dared say anything. He would call her a hypocrit.
Flag
Oh! And ALSO, hey there Amber Riley! Good to see you in your new starring role of "Extra With No Speaking Lines". WT high holy F?!

/rant

Okay. I feel better now......but seriously!! I LOVE Mercedes! She deserves better (but I at least get to see her on DWTS, so......there's that.....)
Flag
DWTS is probably one of the reasons she didn't have an active part, actually. Not sure when she started training, but it probably wasn't long after this episode was filmed. You can't expect her to have big presence in the show this season - she's only one woman.
Flag
Lea is broken. You could hear it in her voice when she sang.
I'm afraid to watch the tribute episode. That'll be the official end of Finn/Cory :(

yay Klaine <3
proposal was a bit too much though. They just got back together, they need some time to reconnect.
Flag
Oh just stop projecting onto Lea. People act like this is the first time she has ever been emotive in a song. It is pretty insulting to say actually.
Flag
Of course she has put emotions in a lot of her songs but to me she sounded different, a little broken.
Flag
I don't know if it was me being sad for Lea, but I thought there was something different in her voice too.
Flag
"I said something wrong, now I long for yesterday". I started crying :( If that did it, I don't know what I'll do for the tribute episode. It kind of felt like maybe that song was Lea's farewell to Cory though...
Flag
I agree, she sang that song....you could tell its a person who already knows she lost someone forever...and Rachel does not even know yet that Finn is lost to her forever. This entire episode she did not look like her former Rachel confident self. She looked like the Rachel who now only has theater left in her life.
Flag
I think when she sang yesterday she probably was thinking of Corey and that truly changed her singing. It was heartbreaking.
Flag
Speaking of continuity, the writers forgot that they had Tina dump Artie after hooking up with Mike at camp, and that she also dumped Mike once he went to college. Dumb.
Flag
Let me start by saying that I went into this episode (as I will the next one) with less enthusiasm than usual, because I know we have the impending death-of-Finn episode looming. And when you know something like that is coming, especially when it's because the actor actually died and it's not just "oh, they're writing him out of the show", it's a little harder to enjoy the crazy train ride that Glee normally provides us.

Still, there were definitely some good points about this episode, starting off with Rachel's "Yesterday"....my absolute FAVORITE song of the night. Her character annoys me a lot of the time, but DAMN, Lea Michele can carry a tune. I am also happy to see that Kitty is experiencing some character growth, but I admit I got a little whiplash keeping up with it (and I LOVED her line about how she and Artie are official "even though they're probably doomed like all the other relationships that have sprung from this club"...Kitty, speaking truth). And Sue is back!! Can't be angry about that.

As far as what wasn't so great about this episode.....yeahhh.....pretty much everything MaryAnn said. Becky got a month suspension for shooting a gun in a school? Yep. That seems appropriate. Oh, and hey Ryder! How did that whole quitting-the-Glee-club-because-you-were-Catfished thing pan out for you? And have Blaine and Kurt learned NOTHING from Finn and Rachel? *sigh*

But overall, I am just happy Glee is back!
More+
Flag
I know Glee has never been reliable as far as continuity goes but man did they just completely ignore it in the premiere. Ryder has apparently forgotten that he wanted to quit after the Catfish incident, Sue forgot that she told Becky she didn't want to come back to McKinley, Kurt forgot that he wasn't on board with teen marriage (sorta).........

I am going to hold out judgment until we come back from the baseball hiatus and we really see how the show deals with the loss of Cory. Given that he wasn't ever written into these two episodes (although I still find it hard to believe he wouldn't have been at his brother's proposal, but whatever, this is Glee, where common sense isn't allowed), I wasn't feeling his loss as prominently. It's not like we had him in every episode last season either. Although, I have to say when Lea did "Yesterday" at the beginning of the episode a few of the lines made my heart break a little knowing what's coming up. I feel like it was one of her more emotional performances as well.

The proposal................... Why did it HAVE to be a cultural statement? It can't just be an intimate thing between two people who love each other? I mean the flash and shine of it all was cool and the actual proposal part was so sweet (and kinda perfect) but who has seen a public proposal where the person said no? That situation kind of forces a yes answer.
More+
Flag
He was actually written in these two episodes. He was supposed to be the main feature in the Beatles episodes and the writers had to rewrite the episodes. I think his absence was definitely felt. Why would his miss Rachel in Ohio and his brothers proposal? They could have written a simple line explaining his absence.
Flag
They didn't need to explain his absence. He's in college, and hasn't exactly been involved in Glee a lot since then.
Flag
He's in college and part of getting his grades up was to help mr schu w glee. You don't think him being in Ohio he would have just stayed at college and not seen Rachel or Kurt? I'm sorry but for his character it seems odd. He was still a very big part if the show. He also was in a good chunk of last season minus the final 2-3 episodes of the season.
Flag
Do you know that source? I read several interviews with Ryan that said he was not in them.
Flag
Caitlin this is one site that has it written that he was in the first two episodes http://www.leakynews.com/glee-season-5-filming-delayed/
Flag
Thank you for completely summing up what I wanted to say! Now I don't have to write it. ;)

But I have to say, that proposal wooed me. I was teary. Kurt + Blaine = Forever! Haha!
Flag
I have to admit that I missed many episodes from season 4, even the final, so maybe I should know this, but: why are Tina, Artie and Blaine still at McKinley?

Apart from that, I thought the episode was okay. I'm not a Beatles fan but Yesterday was good and I also liked Arties and Kittys song. And Kitty's speech was really sweet.
I actually don't like the production of the songs so much in general (since season 3 I think - but I do like the song choices better) because they don't sound like songs sung by a choir anymore. I know they were always autotuned but they made it more subtle back in season 1 and 2. Now they all sound like normal popsongs.
And Klaine....oh my - I wanted them to get back together but not like that. And the proposal was soo new *cough* (not at all like Schue's thing...where was Emma, btw?).
And you're totally right, a story is missing. The episode felt...sloppy? Lots of characters, lots of stories but nothing really good. And where's Teen Jesus (forgot his real name...)?
Ah, well, let's see what they do next time...
More+
Flag
Last season only covered up to regionals, not an entire school year (Murphy and the gang must have realized that they needed to slow things down or they'd be replacing half the glee club every year). This season will likely cover through Tina, Artie, Blaine and Sam's graduation and nationals.
Flag
Tina, Artie, and Blaine are supposed to be a year younger than Rachel's class, so they're seniors this year and, theoretically, should graduate at the end of the season.

I don't mind a lot of the Glee covers, but I agree that they've seemed to have gotten away from the "glee club/choir" approach to the covers and a lot of them just feel like pop covers. :/

Teen Jesus! Joe? I think? He comes and goes. Mostly goes.
Flag
But Rachel graduated at the end of season 3, and one season normally spans one year so shouldn't the others have graduated at the end of season 4? Or wasn't season 4 about one entire year?

Ah, Joe was the name, yes. I know he doesn't say much but he did not even sit there. Not that he is really missed...

Flag
Nope. Season 4 ended with Regionals, so roughly halfway through the year. In theory, they SHOULD graduate at the end of this season.
Flag
Oh, okay, so they made it different this time. Thank you.
Sorry, I did not catch all episodes but there was a prom episode and I thought they were always at the end of the year so I thought it was a whole year.
Flag
I'm sorry but I seriously hated the entire proposal aspects to this episode, it's bad enough that he's using the whole new world changing and stuff to justify asking Kurt to marry him before he's even finished high school somehow Blaine managed to rope 3 other glee clubs despite not even knowing 2 of them very well, into helping him just by singing! If that wasn't bad enough he then has to be the one to get the other guys to help him out with Tina. I love glee and all but I wish either the first episode back hadn't been Blaine/Klaine-centric. I hated how Kurt couldn't even sing to Blaine without Blaine turning it into a duet. I thought it was a little funny how Ryder seemed to just re join glee club without any explanation whatsoever. I was rolling my eyes at Will saying Sue had no reason to go after Roz despite the fact that Roz took the cheerio's away from Sue before. The Kitty/Artie stuff was pretty sweet and the whole not wanting to be seen together in public thing, thank god, only lasted the episode. The music was good mostly the Rachel number as well as her duet with Santana but I loved Artie and Kitty's second duet more than their first.
More+
Flag
At this point, I really don't know how to judge Glee premiers. Last season's "The New Rachel" was one of my favourite episodes ever and it wrote a cheque that, that supremely uneven season just never cashed while "The Purple Piano Project" is probably one of the series worst episodes (and the worst premier to-date) yet season three managed to be my favourite and the most consistent (by Glee standards) so I'll wait a few weeks to pass judgement. We won't really know what direction this show is heading until after its winter hiatus anyways and if American Horror Story is any indication we should understand by now that Ryan Murphy just really struggles with premiers.
Flag
No, this premiere was definitely worse than Purple Piano Project. And how was that one of the worst episodes? I don't recall the whole thing, but I remember liking it well enough...but then Darren's cover of "It's Not Unusual" was a) one of my favorites and b) the first song my nephew heard so...maybe I'm biased. Wasn't the Anything Goes/Anything You Can Do mash-up from that as well??? Oh and Sugar Motta?
Flag
They always have too many songs in the tribute episodes, to be fair. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Artie and Kitty. I feel like Artie needs to get a proper storyline... and he needs to date someone who is actually suited to him. Not someone the writers can't come up with a storyline for. And while I love Kurt and Blaine, I don't think they should get married. But yes, Blaine's proposal (while it shouldn't have been in front of so many people) was absolutely adorable. The plots are no where close to perfect but ah well. I get to see Darren Criss's face every Thursday. That's all I really care about.
Flag
I watched the episode because I have been a loyal supporter of the show, but there was something missing from it. I didn't even notice Brittany was missing, which was a first clue. The show seems to have lost its shine since so many have left or sadly passed away. Definitely not the same without Finn Hudson. What happened behind the set was evident in the episode. I will watch next episode to see if it has improved, but I don't think I doubt I will be watching the rest. Magic is gone sorry to say.
Flag
Heather Morris left because she was/is pregnant. I thought it was obvious that Britanny left the show from the last season. Although what bugged me about this particular episode was that she was not mentioned once.
Flag
They didn't really need to mention her...I mean they wrapped that story up already...and THAT'S what bugged you? Not Ryder's presence in the choir room or the ridiculousness that Becky only received a month's suspension for firing a gun in school?
Flag
Well the person I replied to seems to have not known why Britanny left. Not everyone is a die hard Britanna fan so people might not know why she left. She was also a very main character last season, but everyone seem to have forgotten about her, and its still the same school year. You are right though that there plenty inconsistencies that they forgot to mention. I wonder how they will explain Joe's sudden disappearance.
Flag
I did know why Brittany was missing, my point is that with all the other stuff going, i didn't even get a chance to miss her. Too much seems to be happening all at once, the issue with Ryder wanting to leave wasn't even brought up. So many issues from last season have not even been dealt with, it's like they have forgotten about them or they aren't important. . I love lea, naya and chris but the show is about a glee club in a high school and we never get to see that side lately. I just think they all came back to soon after the tragedy as well, the public would have understood if they waited. I'm guessing they might deal more with the glee club in the tribute episode, but I really hope they even things out and try and give all characters a proper story.
Flag
If you give up after next week than you're giving up right before the Finn tribute episode which seems odd as a Finn fan. The Beatles episodes were written pre-Cory's death so I don't think it's fair to judge the creative direction of the show until after they come back from hiatus and we see what they have planned for the post-Finn era of Glee.
Flag
I agree. Finn's absence was definitely noticeable. I don't get how they couldn't have put a line in saying where he was, bc Rachel was in town and Blaine proposed to his brother but he was a no show? Too early for a happy episode. They should have dealt w Corey's death first.
Flag
Oh yeah, let's forget that these are real people dealing with real loss. They totally should have just done the Finn episode as soon as possible and get it out of the way. I mean, we wouldn't want them to actually have time to process Cory's death or anything. The show is definitely more important.

Sorry, but that's basically how you sound.
Flag
I know that they are real people dealing with a loss. I also think the season should have been pushed back more than a week. You could feel it in the episode there was a sadness it just didn't feel like a happy episode was right. I'm sorry I think they should have taken more time before jumping into this season.
Flag
Expanding on what dude19 said, they wrote the Beatles episodes back in April/May. Finn was never intended to be in these episodes (although I find it weird he wouldn't have come to see his brother get engaged but that's Ryan and Co. for you).

And I also agree with dude19 that to try and do the tribute episode first would have been terrible. To make sure the episode was done by the time they had to get back to production, they would not have had any time whatsoever to process the situation and mourn (or even begin to think about how they're going to rework the season). And then we'd have people upset that we jumped into the happy Beatles episodes immediately following.
Flag
Ryan Murphy already said that the two-part premier was already written and there was no time to properly handle it. He saved it for episode three so it could be well done and not rushed for the sake of getting it out of the way. I think of the episodes problems, that was the least of it.
Flag
I agree with you dude19, but to be fair Ryan Murphy also said he had to rewrite the first 2 episodes bc Finn was supposed to have had a major role in them. So if he could have tweaked these episodes maybe they should have just held off until they could have paid tribute to Finn or just explain his absence from his brothers big moment and Rachel's visiting.
Flag
Except for Yesterday where was there sadness in this episode?
Flag
There are so many teenagers, who marry to early or the girls get pregnant...
I hope that they will show, that it is not all colourfull and happy bliss...it is hard been a teenage engaged couple...so wonder how that is going to work out....

I agree what has been said in the review, that some subjects would need more attention, but on the otherhand, if you really want to work those issues out, then it wouldn't be glee anymore, but some teenage drama series....
Flag
Lol, do you think Klaine will actually make it to the altar? I mean, there have been a lot of proposals in this show and not nearly as many weddings. It took Will and Emma how long to tie the knot after the proposal in season 3!? With Glee, you never know, but its hardly a foregone conclusion.
Flag
3 seasons was enough for glee,...
Flag
Three episodes was enough for Glee.
Flag
you mean 13. The first 13 were actually really good.
Flag
I agree with what you said about the music. It felt so "music video-ish", as if they want us to buy the music. Glee's best musical performances always involve an actual performances in stage, and not some running around and singing as if no one is around.

I'm still bothered by the fact that Blaine got to sing so many times and along with 4 choirs. Blaine is so the new Rachel. Also, why does Kitty get to be featured in two performances even though she was the one who couldn't relate to the Beatles? There really wasn't a lot of variety when it came to the singing.

Lastly, I still don't understand Glee's fascination with young marriage. Isn't this a hippie liberal show? What happened to being independent and not following social norms. Marriage is so traditional even if it involves two people with the same gender. I guess they are really pushing for gay marriage thing. Modern Family is probably going to have a gay marriage so its probably going to be trend in television this season.

I guess those are only gripes this season so far. Excited for the Tina-centric episode next week.

More+
Flag
Rachel never sang so much for no reason. 90% of the time Rachel sings it is plot driven. Blaine sings on group songs for no reason at all.
Flag
I've pretty much been on board in the past with the willing suspension of disbelief required in spades for Glee because it mostly hung together reasonably well. But I found this episode cringe making at many points. From Rachel's cover of yesterday at the outset - because someone who has no professional experience and paid no dues has their little feelings hurt when its pointed out by a professional? The only high points of the show were Sues return which ridiculous and over the top as they are at least had some sort of consistency with the story. I thought the whole point of the assignment was to re-imagine Beatles classics rather than just do adequate covers? I think im done with Glee - apart maybe from the Finn episode.
Flag
First off, Rachel's cover of Yesterday was THE highlight of the episode. It broke my heart. And do you really think it so odd that someone would be upset to learn that they're probably not going to get their dream job? And yeah it was childish of her to confront them like that but...well she is 18...18 year olds aren't exactly renowned for their professionalism and grown-up-ness. So not exactly hard to believe. Oh and Rachel would never just give up on the role. This is the girl who stalked the admissions officer for NYADA after blowing her audition (God, I love Whoopi!)
Flag
This is Rachel we're talking about. This is the girl that has been told since she was an infant and in diapers that she was amazing and going to be a huge star on Broadway.

And regardless, if you were up for your dream job and didn't get it, you'd be upset. I don't think it was just a matter of what they said, it was the simple fact that she failed. She's not used to it.
Flag
Even still, I think we can all agree that her getting in their face for calling her inexperienced (which is absolutely a valid consideration) was unprofessional and childish. Why would they hand an 18 year-old girl who's only acting experience is high school theatre the lead in a classic Broadway musical? I can understand Rachel being disappointed but she should be able to understand that scoring that part was a pretty big long shot, even for her.
Flag
Ha getting in their face, funny. She just let them know she heard what they said and she went for it. Best idea no but it is a comedy and musical it was merely a set up for a song. People take everything to literally on this show.
Flag
I think your review was overly harsh. Glee has never been about deep character or story development. It has always been about stringing musical numbers together with loose storylines.
If they were seriously looking for itunes sales I don't think they'd pick The Beatles. Surely the demographic of itunes users isn't the baby boomers?
I loved Burt's speech to Kurt about how short life is and you never know how much time you have with loved ones. I lost my husband 9 months ago and would give anything and everything for 10 more minutes. It had me in tears. And the ability to evoke different emotions is why I love Glee and keep watching despite the holes in the story and the really uneven character traits.
Flag
Google "Beatles iTunes sales"...everything that comes up is about how much freaking money the Beatles made iTunes. And like Blaine stated "everyone" can still relate to the Beatles...even the average young person knows about the Beatles (and I should know, I'm in my early twenties)
Flag
It would probably help if you were following the industry news about Glee over the past few years. Glee is probably only still on the air because of iTunes sales. They make an absolute fortune on them.
Flag
I doubt that their musci sales have been down for 2 seaosn now.
Flag
And the original ALWAYS gets a strong sales boost as well.
Flag
Then why do they even take on such heavy material as a school shootings? If they are going to do it than did it don't skirt the issue.
Flag
plus didnt reyder qiut glee after the whole catfish thing? so once again no follow up on anything that happens in this show. i have to say i may have to follow with the rest and stop watching this show. big dissapointment
Flag
Glee again fails at continuity. It's like the writers don't give a crap. And now Sugar and Joe are gone again. What a load of rubbish.
Flag
"Glee Season 5 Premiere Review: All You Need Is Love (and iTunes Sales)"

^ Pretty much this. (I was thinking the same thing while watching for the entire hour) At this point, they don't even care about storylines AT ALL. There were WAY too many song/dance performances and don't even get me started on how terribly boring and uninteresting all of them WERE! And seriously, the Beatles? Not one week, but two weeks? Why are they punishing us?

How ridiculous was that conversation they had about the Beatles anyway? Like, I'm supposed to believe teenagers know stuff about the Beatles and their lives? Like, really Glee? Really? How's that even believable? I realize the show isn't taking itself seriously, and it's not meant to be taken seriously, but that whole scene was a complete and total joke.

I know I'm nitpicking, but the episode was truly dreadful and I did not enjoy a single second. Here's hoping, things improve. Terrible premiere episode.

And yes, I'm deeply saddened and a bit disgusted that this show is so desperate to sell songs on Itunes. It's all about the money now.
More+
Flag
Um...not a single second? 'Yesterday' was a good minute and a half...

But yeah, old people should stop pretending like young people hate good music. Plenty of youngsters care about the Beatles. Darren Criss (aka Blaine) did a little trivia quiz as a promo and wasn't exactly clueless. I have a good portion of their catalog myself (hint: I'm fairly young).
Flag
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M9US-cXJMo
Flag
It's the Beatles...you're really incredulous that teenagers would know Beatles songs?? I knew quite a bit about the Beatles as a teenager, Michael Jackson and Elvis too.
Flag
I knew plenty about the Beatles in high school. You're gonna tell me that a group of students in a glee club, where appreciation of music is pretty much a given, aren't going to know things about artists that completely dominated the music scene? It's seriously that unbelievable? That's part of how we identify with artists and the music.
Flag
Beethoven once dominated the music scene. So did Mozart. So did a lot of people between them and the Beatles. The Beatles broke up in 1970. These students are 16-18. Their PARENTS were not necessarily alive when the Beatles were still a thing. I wasn't alive when the Beatles were a thing. I have only ever heard the Beatles on Oldies Radio. I certainly don't know random ass trivia about their lives. They should definitely not know about the members personalities in the 60s. At this point, an interest in music does not make that valid, you'd have to be a history buff.
Flag
Oh so you hate the Beatles? I mean seriously, they "shouldn't" care about the Beatles!? And any music buff who doesn't know something about the Beatles is kidding themselves by calling themselves music buffs.

Apparently you think most young people are as out of touch as you are. iTunes made a huge deal about making the Beatles catalog available, even launching a TV and YouTube ad campaign. And those songs sold big, I mean BIG on iTunes.
Flag
More of a Stones guy.
Flag
I will take the respectfully disagree route. Maybe I'm an oddball because I know trivia about bands from several different decades. But I know quite a few other people that do as well. And none of us are history buffs.
Flag
I respectfully disagree. ^
Flag
i havent finished the episode yet and i'm already bored and grossed out. the article pinned it down. wtf is glee about anymore. they shouldve ended it with season 3 when they graduated. makes so much more sense. and how is it ok that they left the corey/finn memorial until ep. 3? and until then have all this fake cheer stuff about nothing. there are no more real story lines anymore - just stuff that happens. sigh. it couldve been so much more then it is. glee is really losing anything that is used to be.
Flag
Ugh. I read this because I wanted to see how they handle Corey Montieth's (sp?) death but apparently it wasn't in this episode. I haven't really watched this since season 2 ended. Or enjoyed it since season 1 ended. So I have no idea who most of these people are. Boo.
Flag
I was disappointed too that they didn't have anything about Cory in it.. I was waiting for it (didn't know it would be in ep 3). The thing that got to me, is Blaine proposed and brought Rachel and Santana and everyone else there, but didn't bring Kurt's step brother??? And no mention of where he was?
Flag
Because the people behind the show (who actually knew and cared about Cory) weren't really feeling up to gratuitously mentioning him? Because the episode would have been even worse if they took 5 minutes to explain why Joe wasn't in the episode, why Sugar wasn't in the episode, what was happening with Finn, and Mike, and Brittany, and Mercedes, and Emma, and Finn's mom, and Quinn, and oh why not throw in Zices (sp?) and that football player from season 1? Oh! and Jesse and Rachel's dads and mom, and...you see how ridiculous this is right? I mean, you do see it?
Flag
Yeah. But since when has this show made sense? I think they should've done something in this episode instead of going on business as usual when everyone already knows what happened.
Flag
it will be in episode 3.
Flag
Over the last season plus one episode is Rachel becoming a star like she thinks or is Lea Michele becoming less of a star? I think it's the latter. This is what the restaurant scene made me think. She needs another role before she either gets typecast as the girl who doesn't quite have it or becomes that girl.
Flag
Still more of a star then any of the other kids. Plus she is under contract and they aren't letting her go.
Flag
True, but if this goes on much longer she won't get more than one job after this. She'll be in off broadway shows for the rest of her career.
Flag
Lol, at first I missed the "off" in "off-Broadway" I was like, what does this guy have against Broadway!?
Flag
I really doubt that. She has pretty significant singing and acting ability, as well as a scarily huge fanbase.

I'm pretty sure she'll be fine.
Flag
I'm saying I think her time on Glee is destroying her range and her significant ability has become less significant. I predict one more significant Hollywood job, then one run on Broadway while her name still means something, then the aforementioned life of obscurity. Only one way to find out for sure. Dear Internet, click on this link in 2023 and see if there have been any updates in the last few years: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0584951/?ref_=sr_1
Flag
"You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" was good, but unfortunately, it has to compete with Eddie Vedder's version, which is arguably the greatest cover of anything ever.
Flag
It's good. I was gonna say that's a huge overstatement, but I'll compromise and say it's tied with at least fifty other songs, including:

Johnny Cash's cover of Nine Inch Nails' Hurt.
Walk off the Earth's cover of Somebody That I Used to Know
Jimi Hendrix's cover of Bob Dylan's All Along the Watchtower
Guns and Roses' cover of Knockin' on Heaven's Door
The Clash's cover of The Crickets' I Fought the Law
Walk Off the Earth's cover of Party Rock Anthem
Cake's cover of Gloria Gaynor's I Will Survive
Tori Amos's cover of Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit
Nirvana's cover of… half a dozen things
10,000 Maniacs cover of Because the Night
maybe a hundred. so many covers that are both great and improved on the originals
Flag
Hence my use of the word "arguably."
Flag
I figured. But if we just make 100 of them tie for best, no one needs to argue for a best!
Flag
When I heard Tori's cover of Teen Spirit I laughed my head off. The problem with a song like that is it can't really be reinterpreted or sung any other way. It has to be yelled.

And somebody covered Somebody I Used To Know already? That song's barely in diapers. At least give Gotye a little time to have it.
Flag
Pentatonix did a good Gotye cover...better than the original, I'd argue. But I like to argue.

Flag
Listen to the Scala & Kolacny Brothers version of "Smells Like Teen Spirit." It's amazing.
Flag
Gotye's version is terrible and the cover has been out at least a year. Find it on youtube. It's genius. They pretty much speialize in making bad songs good.
Flag
I was really hoping Shelby would be in this episode so Rachel could update her on what's going on. After all, Rachel...your mother should know.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members