A Glee Community
FOX (ended 2015)

Glee S05E20: "The Untitled Rachel Berry Project"

Not all that long ago, Glee experienced a creative resurgence after severing ties with McKinley in "New Directions," an episode that was so good that I thought the whole thing was a fever dream in which Glee hadn't grown increasingly awful as the seasons went by. In comparison to the never-ending WTF parade of Season 4, Season 5 ultimately delivered an exciting turnaround for those of us who remember the days when we actually looked forward to watching this show and still want to believe that Glee has the capacity to be great again. My bitterness: Let me show you it.  

While "The Untitled Rachel Berry Project" had its moments—Sam's return to McKinley, everything Brittany said, did, or thought, and even Rachel's realization that Fanny Brice isn't her destiny and that it's okay to develop new dreams and want new things—as a whole, the episode was an unfocused mess that threw back to some of Glee's worst television sins. As usual, everybody got what they wanted, no matter how ridiculous. Guest star Kristen Schaal's awesomeness was wasted on a cynical Lena Dunham rip-off. Despite the stronger writing and performances that resulted from the series' full-time move to New York City, the writers have decided once again to scatter Glee's characters across the country because that worked so well for them the first time around. 

Also, as expected, Santana did not make an appearance in the finale because reasons, and the show explained her absence with a week-long trip to Iowa to shoot a new Yeast-I-Stat commercial

While the episode itself was a hot mess of predictability—of course Rachel sang a schmaltzy pop ballad and it warmed the heart of the meanie writer who disagreed with her and of course Kurt threw a man-tantrum over Blaine's Shirley MacLane thing but got over it in like two seconds because... because—there's still some potentially interesting set-up in place for Glee's currently unscheduled but probably midseason swan song. After four seasons of avoiding real change in Glee-land, once Glee tried it, it couldn't get enough. Still, Rachel's move to LA doesn't sit entirely well with me for two reasons: 

1. The whole point of Glee, since the very beginning, was to get Rachel (and as many other McKinleyites as possible) to Broadway. It was the ultimate dream. It was the dangling carrot, season after season. I was concerned that the series took Rachel to the top too early, and while I applaud the decision to let the character evolve and seek out a new dream, the fact that she needs to (because otherwise she'll stagnate for the rest of the series' run) betrays the fact that Glee jumped the gun with her Broadway stuff. 

2a. Glee is already a parody of itself, and the show is entirely too self-aware for its own good (it's the Skynet of TV, basically). Rachel is moving out to LA to star in a pilot for a series about her life that will also feature singing? Glee. It's basically going to be Glee. Not only did I not love the Glee-parodying we saw in Ryan Murphy's dearly departed The New Normal, but Glee has been mocking itself for a few seasons now, and I'm just nervous that another layer of winking irony is going to be too much. 

2b. OMG, what if the writers take a serious approach to the Glee-within-a-Glee idea? It kind of sounded like the Rachel series was going to be a serious semi-biographical TV musical-or-something. Rachel was really into it and Rachel doesn't have a sense of humor and Rachel also thinks Rachel is really interesting and deep, and I can't really see her getting involved with something that is openly poking fun at everything she holds dear. 

So yeah, I'm nervous about Rachel's westward move. But I'm also reminding myself that I wasn't so sure about the NYC migration either, and then I ended up really liking it. We really won't know how well it works or doesn't work until Glee eventually returns. 

Whatever the show decides to do, I sincerely hope it works. When Glee is at its best, it's a bright, quirky, positive hour of television that's completely different from anything else that has aired or is airing beside it—it's exactly the show Rachel described to Mary Halloran, though let me go on the record as saying there's absolutely nothing wrong with TV shows about "chubby girls who can't keep men and men who kill people," either. Glee's passive-aggressive criticism of TV-shows-that-aren't-Glee never fails to fall on its face, even when, at it's core, the show is making a valid point. There's also nothing wrong with ooey-gooey, teeth-rotting sweetness on a TV series... unless your Season 5 finale is as aimless and weirdly insubstantial as "The Untitled Rachel Berry Project" was. 

When we return to Glee whenever we return to Glee, regardless of where its core characters are in both the country and their careers, a return to the focused writing we saw in "New Directions," "Frenemies," "Trio," and "The Quarterback" would go a long way toward sending the series out on a high note. 

MUSICAL NOTES

– All of the musical performances were pretty great (though I question the need for two pop ballads in the same episode), but "Pompeii" was a great ensemble song to wrap up the season, and I'm also biased because that's my current jam and it could have been a kazoo cover and I'd still probably be into it. IDK. 

– I'd watch a show about two gay NASA dads. Just sayin'.

– I wanted to like Mary Halloran's original pilot script if only to spite Rachel, but yeah, that was abysmal. 

What'd you think of the finale? What are your predictions/wants/needs for Season 6?

63 Comments
Comments (64)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
So I have been catching up on glee. I find that I keep skipping ahead. Since when is this show all about Rachael? And not about the high school showing kids they can reach for their dreams. Im so dissapointed.
Flag
I stopped watching Glee a few seasons ago, however I continued to read recaps and summaries, hoping that I could enjoy it again. Why did I stop watching? Because in spite of the supposed message about acceptance of differences and uniqueness, this show turned into a white heterosexual love story with singing. LM is a great singer, however this show was full of great singers. Once she took over the show, in spite of the talents of "Mercedes" and "Santana", I stopped watching. I personally thought that "Mercedes" sang better than "Rachel". I soon realized that the character of "Mercedes" would rarely get a chance to shine. Then I heard Santana sing..and again, she rarely got the chance to shine. So for me, the whole idea of being different went to pot. I find it interesting to see that it really hasn't changed and at its core, this is still a show about "Rachel".
Flag
I could be the minority here, but I actually really liked the episode (well most of it). I watched a lot of TV shows and not many of them make you "feel good" at the finale. I enjoyed Pompeii tremendously, especially towards the end when you can always feel Lea popping up missing Cory, I don't know, that part spoke to me. The duet sang by Kurt and Blaine was awesome too, thought Kurt's performance was rock-on.

That said, I do agree with most that moving Rachel to LA seemed like a creative mistake (which, of course, Glee is filled with). Does that mean she is going to get her ass sued off when they reopened the show? Hmm...

Seeing Brittany again in this episode brought a huge smile to my face and she danced like a rock star!
Flag
Anything that happened in this episode was completely and totally wasted on my because of how utterly un-funny and un-sympathetic I find Kristen Schaal. That voice alone is enough to drive me up the wall, and it sort of ruined everything for me. The only highlight was Blaine standing up for Kurt, for what he felt was right, because I never expected either Blaine or Kurt to have a backbone, so yay them!

"Never let anyone keep you from doing what you know is right" is a nice soundbite, and with that in mind, let's hope the Glee writers will know what the right thing is to finish this show off in a way it deserves.
Flag
I ranted about this last week so I'll be brief. Broadway should have been a climax for the show and been a source for so much material. They've botched that and Rachel instead being in a TV show is a bad idea. Having the TV show being a story of her life is implausible beyond belief and a vigorously nauseating idea. Mercedes' sudden success as a pop star is ridiculous, especially when it all happened off screen. It doesn't give me much to look foward to in the final season. I never thought I'd be able to quit this show but I'm pretty close to that point now. At least Kurt/Blaine and Mercedes/Sam's couple problems were managed with some maturity in the end. But in the course of a season Rachel has become a monster. We will no longer be able to empathise with her or wish her success. This formerly complex, vulnerable character who had so much sadness in her life and had to struggle so hard has been destroyed. And since the show has morphed into being HER show we're all in trouble.
Flag
The Lea Michelle show has now reached new depths this week.
Britney was there but not allowed to say anything.
The straight gay one actually said 'Wa gwann blood?' during a song
I was also very unsettled and almost threw up the dinner I was eating when Rachel Berry attempted to break the fourth wall at the end.

This show was thrown away by the producers and writers. It could have been huge for many more years, but their arrogance in thinking that they could get the audience to blindly follow what in essence was a different show has ruined what was once great fun.
what idiots idea was it to get rid of half a cast of characters that the audience love. And even after bringing some of them back they're just bit part extra's to support the superstar that they think they've created. (it seems they're now trying to be ironic by giving her her own show within the show)
What happened to the songs? I use to recognise 4 or 5 chart songs an episode so I could deal with not knowing the other one. Now its the exact opposite. I can't even sing along to this nonsense.

Oh, they got rid of any attempt to have a plot too, meaning we wouldn't have recognised it as a season finale unless you told us.
More+
Flag
That what happens when you remove the REAL stars of the show- such as Matthew Morrison...
Flag
I read the review and have to say that i don't agree. It seems like in the review you keep holding too much of the past Glee.
A lot of has changed and i have to say, that this is Glee for me. With the old gang and all grown up and trying to do their thing, good or bad...
I actually love that Rachel is going to LA. I couildn't stand to hear about Funny Girl another season. As always she is growing to become better and chasing her dreams, whatever they may be...so go Rachel.
Finally sam and Mercedes broke up! The whole NOT having sex thing was becoming very lenghty and stupid. You are so young and full of life...ofcourse you want sex...so Mercedes don't and he does...that he would "cheat" *kiss* was eventually to happen...
Liked the showcase of Blaine, that was daring and i loved it...she loved it! Nice done.
Then a beautiful song of Rachel in the cafe! Even the weird lady loved it.
Then the finalsong, was awesome...
But i loved especially the original song of Mercedes. It was catchy...i even started to shake my head whahhahahahahahahaha...
Nice season ending...and how many episodes they will make, all is good and wil be watched!!!
More+
Flag
So Glee is going to be about how Glee came to be right? Yay.
Please let it be just for 12 focused episodes, please.
Flag
I thought the episode was decent. Loved the first "Rachel show" script, especially with Chris Colfer's deadpan voice. I liked the song, especially the one Rachel sang at the café. And the last one really felt like a serie finale. I wonder who's going to be back next season (Lea aside).
Flag
What even just happened? That felt like just another [bad] episode, not a finale. It occurred to me on about the third song of the episode, why are these characters still breaking out into songs that aren't dream sequences? There is no regionals to prep for, no more 'lesson-of-the-week' assignments...

I did LOL that Sam going 'home' was going back to High School, and not just Ohio. But, did anybody else really want the 2nd generation glee kids to be in that classroom Sam was singing to? Their names keep rolling throughout the opening, they really got the short end of the stick.
Flag
My favourite Glee episode of all time is Vitamin D, episode six from the first season. It was an episode full of joy and trippy energy, and I always use it as a benchmark for how full of vitality a TV episode can have. I can't believe that was three and a half years ago. How far the show has sunk. Virtually all that energy is gone.
Flag
My thoughts exactly. Glee writers for the last few years use Glee as a platform for moral. And social issues. Not for fun. IMO, Glee lost its spontaneity, campiness, edginess to spread a voice a platform of the moment. It wasn't fun anymore. Yes, Vitamin D was a favorite of mine as well. Laughs. Lots of laughs. It was fun back then. It was written for all age groups.
Flag
This show is one big cry for help. They have confused self-parody with self-loathing, and the result is stupid plot line after stupid plot line.
But that's not what really hacked me off about this episode. What really frosted me was the vicious attack on New Girl creator Liz Meriwether and Mindy Kaling delivered through Kristen Schaal's Mary. That was just wrong. Unfortunately, it's just another example of the bitterness that has enveloped Glee since the first episode of season 2.
Ryan Murphy would love for us to believe that Cory Monteith's death blew up his show. Sadly, he will likely never recognize that his own need to one-up all of his perceived enemies in big bad TV-land, including even his own fans, set this show on a meandering path to irrelevance long before that tragedy. Ironically, the show's fans - many of whom the writers mocked regularly - refused to let go of the dream, and a sixth (half?) season is the result of their faith, not his.
Flag
I wish they had cancelled the show before it had gotten this bad. It makes me sad.
Flag
This show is gonna get burned off next Spring for 13 episodes before quietly disappearing forever.
Flag
Maybe stick will 12 instead. Anyhow, this show is not the only one having problems right now. Both New Girl and The Mindy Project are having their own problems at the same time. The Mindy Project should stick with 14 first.
Flag
This show has been all over the place since halfway through season 1.
Flag
they should have stopped after Season 3 when the original cast "graduated" from William Mckinley High. The death of Cory Montieth would also have been a good ending point also.
Flag
Ho hum! Yawn! Not returning to season 6. Rachel is Lea now. I don't care about Blaine Klaine. Mercedes deserved a better story line. Very disappointing way to end. I' m Not returning next season. Glee is under scrutiny by Fox as of now. Should it return and with how many episodes? Just a close out number. At the most 5 or 6. A mini movie would be best. Let the actors move on.
Flag
As much as I know Glee is as ridiculous and it's not real at all, it's pisses me off that everything is soooo perfect for Rachel, She quit school and the what she gets is success on Broadway and then she gets bored of it and they write a pilot center around her... I hope this happens to me too...

Whatever... the season finale was ok, I fear that when Glee returns I'll forget about the show but I'm very curious how are they going to play out things.
Flag
i don't know. There have been a; number of REAL stars that quit college to become a singer or actor then getting ONE big role. After that, she would have to work her rear end off to maintain that level of success or drop off the charts and have to take much smaller roles. In a way Rachael reminds me of a certain REAL actress that may have gotten "bored" on two series she was working on and left, both times she was a main character that had a major effect on the shows.
Flag
most boring season finale ever. seemed to wrap it up as a series finale because isn't season 6 going to be about a whole new group of kids? if it is, i won't be watching it. there's absolutely no point.
Flag
i fell asleep while watching it...
and i hate the fact that they gave the only decent person on the show (aka mercedes) the stupidest storyline (aka making bf wait)... weakkkkkk
Flag
I have to give it to you MaryAnn. I don't know how you can get the drive to review this show week after week, properly delving into the scary abyss it has become and finding something substantial to say about it. That's impressive.
Flag
Agreed. I used to say that the only reason I watch this steaming plate of hot garbage was because my wife insists on it. Now, I realize that I hate-watch Glee, eagerly anticipating the writers latest craptastic plot and characterization blunders.
Flag
This show needs to END.... ASAP!
Flag
firstly you don't even watch the damn show, why are you so concerned about it like stuf and move on
Flag
...Ok crazy preddie. Obviously i am not the concerned one here. I'll be watching Galavant,. You & Glee can kiss my buttocks. Cheers :)
Flag
The only reason I watched was Kristen Schaal.

Kristen Schaal is a Horse -
She is spectluar is everything. Kristen Schaal for American Horror Story: Freakshow

Flag
Okay I have LOVED the second half of this season set in NYC but what the hell just happened? What did I just watch? Was THAT the finale? Sam makes it as a model after like 2 weeks and then decides to go back home? Ridiculous. I normally like the randomness and illogical-ness of Glee but I am so disappointed in this episode as a finale. :(
Flag
It's supposed to be a counterpoint: Rachel gets everything she wanted, so she reaches for more; Sam got everything he wanted (well, almost everything) and packs it in.
Flag
WHAT?! That was already the finale?? Well that was... uhm... weak?

First: My face when I recognized that Brittany IS in this episode, but Santana ISN'T...

A Rachel-Berry-show in a Rachel-Berry-show... #YoDawg
Wonder what they're going to call it... "Glee Group"? "Music Club"?

I think it's pretty boring that everyone who disagrees with one of the glee-kids gets "charmed" by them when they start singing... Shirley told Blaine NOT to bring Kurt on her show, but he did and she was all like "Okay, you two gays are adorable. You disobeyed my orders, but forgiven and forgotten!". Or when Rachel sang to this crazy lady, she was like "I've never heard music before in my life! Thx for enlighten me, never been happier in my life!"... Really?! Seriously?!

Only plus factors in this episode: Chocolate thunder Mercedes and vanilla tornado Brittany! Aaand this crazy "I've got a kitty in my pants"-lady! :D
Flag
I suppose I'm the only one that told this whole season was just chaos after chaos? Okay, I got that with the demise of Cory/Finn, figuring out a whole new path for the show was not gonna be an easy task. And yet, this entire season just got me confused time and time again. I stopped watching it after the season break and had no plans to continue to do so. However, during a little lull in my own sad life (in which I turn to potentially good shows to take my mind off things) I thought, 'hey, let's give it another try.' Worst decision ever. SOOO many unanswered questions.

What happened to the rest of the kids in the Glee Club? So suddenly they're gone? The viewers have spent 1.5 seasons getting to know and love them and they don't get a proper send-off?

And suddenly everyone was in New York? For a tiny little Glee Club in a tiny little town in Lima, Ohio, these kids sure as hell are rich enough to be able to live in and fly to/fro NYC.

Wait, how many years have gone by?
Everything was crammed into half a season... Rachel has her opening night, and then decides that she's bored of it. (Well, perhaps that's typical of her type) Then Merc/Sam got together and broke off. The entire scene wasn't even emotional because no one gave a shit. Who cares? I mean, I have kept canned meat longer than they've been together. Oh and Artie? I mean, talk about positive discrimination. The show's probably kept him on to represent the disabled community. As much as I loved him in earlier seasons, I found him to be such a bore. My pet chinchilla could've filled that wheelchair and no one would be any the wiser.

It always sucks when a TV show you've been following right from the start turns to the shits before its grand flush down the poophole. And I get annoyed, as most would, but I'm just particularly peeved at this show because while other shit shows slowly turned sour before dying out, this one turned so mouldy and unrecognisable.

In Season 1, this was a breakout sensation because it represented a group of kids who were dysfunctional. It was silly and outrageous because it looked at taboo matters that were completely inappropriate for a 'high school' setting. I loved the music, I loved the idea. Like all Gleeks at that time, I fell in love with something unique and amazing. In Season 5, I've learnt that main characters, huge plot lines, and themes are expendable and irrelevant. That everything in the TV world should be unrelatable and ludicrous. That out of high school, it is totally possible to move to one of the most expensive cities in the world and seemingly do nothing and get everything. Because yay TV.

This episode will be the last Glee episode I will ever watch. And I thank anyone that bothered reading this for having had the insights to how I've felt about it all.
More+
Flag
"The viewers have spent 1.5 seasons getting to know and love them"

The majority of the viewers didn't love them, and that was the problem... originally, the plan was the split the show, with one show taking the established characters on past high school, and the other staying in the high school setting and inserting new characters. But the spin-off got scotched, and the writers couldn't decide which show they wanted to keep and tried to do both with one show, which wasn't working. Some said "why do these people keep hanging around a high school they didn't particularly like?" and some said "who are these new characters that are edging the characters I like off the show and stealing their screen time?"
They finally made up their mind to ditch the new kids and focus on the old.

Bottom line: Glee is currently it's own spinoff show.
Flag
Yeah, I got that it wasn't working. The entire thing still felt like one slap to the face though. Like, 'yeah screw you viewers! that's not what tv's about!' I'll admit that the story lines for the 'new' people weren't going so great and yet there was still potential there, especially with Unique. But it just felt every storyline they potentially tried to create, they just thumbed down either by fogging over everything or giving it an unsatisfactory end. And then they wonder why it didn't work.

Ryan Murphy can be an ass sometimes. Like, I'll have to admit that he's a genius with pilots and ideas for plot lines, but then halfway through he always seems to get bored with it all and just play a game of 'How much can I f** this up before they cancel it!'
Flag
There was potential with Unique, instead they made her into a horrible person. But anyway, Kurt had potential too, but I'm still waiting for a proper gay storyline!
Flag
Due to Glee often having their characters do ridiculous things I would be surprised if anyone found themselves represented in any character. I know I haven't been represented either.
Flag
@jajsmiles I assure you neither Kurt or Blaine represent me! And you may be right about Santana, after Quintana happened I found myself thinking it's Quinn the better suited to be a lesbian in the closet
Flag
I would think the female lesbians would be the most insulted and represented worst of any group. Santana has never really worked for me as a lesbian.
Flag
@jajsmiles of course it would, Glee isn't capable of doing serious storylines without making them ridiculous. But since the purpose is to address so many social issues, at least make it properly. I don't agree with the ones that say that it's enough that the Gayness is on TV so that people will talk about it, IMO it HOW it's on TV that it's important. I, as a gay guy, have been feeling insulted sometimes
Flag
Thank you for the reply, but I'm not familiar with Brothers and Sister's Kevin.
Wouldn't it be a fair statement that there are parts of every character's story that is absolutely ridiculous?
Flag
@jajsmiles One that reminds me of Brothers and Sister's Kevin! There are parts of Kurt's story that are absolutely ridiculous!
Flag
What is a proper gay storyline?
Flag
The episode as a whole was okay but I really liked Pompei. It was a great way to close the season and I can't wait to see whats coming next season.
Flag
The way they brushed Sam's sexual harrassment under the rug truly bothered me. Mercedes not acknowledging he was violated and getting upset over it was out of character. You can they rushed some peoples stotylines for the sake of a few extra itune uploads.
Flag
Yes, but does 'out of character' actually mean anything on this show?
Flag
True. Let me rephrase: her reaction was toxic on a psa level that glee usually fails to achieve anyway.
Flag
Testify!!!
Flag
It was a very weak-connected finale, but at least Rachel is going to L.A.. But at that meantime, we hope Throat Explosion will get framed by cheating at the Nationals and that will be out of the way. Then by later next season, we hope that some fisherman finds that gun in the lake and Sue will end up getting framed and then sent to jail for the rest of her life.

We all know that FOX had a current financial collapse during the whole season, but I do not like the way about next season that Glee's and The Mindy Project's episode orders cutting down absurdly:

Glee's 24 to 13 and The Mindy Project's 22 to 15.

I'm sorry about Jayma Mays getting badly turned down and then doing well with The Millers. But I have a feeling that Producer Ryan Murphy should apologize to Jayma for turning her down too quick and explain the truth about the FOX's current financial collapse during the whole season. Jayma does not have to officially leave Glee yet besides appearing in The Millers at the same time.

Flag
But at that meantime, we hope Throat Explosion will get framed by cheating at the Nationals and that will be out of the way. Then by later next season, we hope that some fisherman finds that gun in the lake and Sue will end up getting framed and then sent to jail for the rest of her life.

Ok....you really, REALLY need to let this go. Not only are these ideas ridiculously stupid, but repeating them here every week won't make them happen. They have moved passed the glee club/Sue story lines. This poorly-conceived construct will NEVER happen. Move on.
Flag
These are NOT ridiculously stupid ideas, wind_shadow! They will NEVER get thrown away yet! These problems on glee club, Sue storylines and Throat Explosion cheating has to get solve, otherwise, it will be too late when time runs out.

Well at least Rachel is visiting L.A. which is something to begin on, but there is NO time to forfeit right now!
Flag
These are ridiculously stupid ideas, sorry.
The show will not return to the high-school setting until the finale, which will be set back where the series started, to bring things full-circle.

Glee would have been cancelled this year if they hadn't given them a two-year renewal last year, so quit whining about the fact that the show's not on the fall schedule and won't have a full year order.
Flag
How dare you call my ideas ridiculously stupid, docspector! These ideas are 100% urgent and they can never be left unresolved! I am a serious person rather a whiner and if you mentioned that post of yours in front me, then you are underneath the gravestone for the rest of your life!
Flag
I think that was a very fitting end to one very irregular season.

It was a very good episode, mostly funny, awkward at times, some drama and Brittany (yeah, she's back!!) found someone just like her; who knew?

If this ends up being the very final episode of the series, in case FOX decides to scrap season 6 (they have 8 months to come up with a reason why), then it is also a good and fitting end for the series.

All of the music in this episode was good, particularly Shakin' My Head and Pompeii.

I'm going to miss Glee, whether it just ended for good, or when it ends next year (IF there is a Season 6).
Flag
uh, i thought the series had a commitment from F0X till Season 7.
Flag
Nope; the last season will be Season 6, with only 13 episodes; it's supposed to start airing midseason (Jan/Feb 2015).
Flag
Its great that we got to see Brittany, but come on, no Santana in the season finale. Surely they could have put in one scene with the two of them together.
Oh well. :(
Flag
Brittany's presence was funny, but it felt so unnecessary!
Flag
santana has had a bad time, the chick lost her man and engagement also having rumors spread about her, she was written off cause she needs a break
Flag
I understand she is having a rough time in her personal life, but I really think she should have been in the finale. How long does it take for her to sing one song with the other characters?
Flag
Follow this Show
Members