A Glee Community
FOX (ended 2015)

Glee star Cory Monteith, who played Finn Hudson, one of the series' central characters, was found dead in a hotel room in Vancouver, Canada on Saturday afternoon, according to The Hollywood Reporter. No cause of death was given, but police have ruled out foul play. He was 31 years old.

Police acknowledge that Monteith was with others on Friday night, but security footage revealed that he returned to his hotel room alone. His body was found by hotel staff after he was due to check out. 

"We are deeply saddened by this tragic news," Fox Broadcasting Company and 20th Century Fox Television—the producers of Glee—told The Hollywood Reporter in a statement. "Cory was an exceptional talent and an even more exceptional person. He was a true joy to work with and we will all miss him tremendously. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and loved ones."

In addition to Glee, Monteith appeared in Smallville, Supernatural, and was working on the film All the Wrong Reasons. Earlier this year, Monteith checked himself into a rehabilitation clinic for substance abuse and was released in late April. He was romantically linked to Glee co-star Lea Michele. There's no word yet on how his death will affect the production of Glee's fifth season. 

Our condolences go out to Monteith's family and friends.

133 Comments
Comments (133)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I really don't know this person, but I'm already crying!!!
Flag
Ryan Murphy has come out and spoke to Zap2it. After consulting with Lea Michele, they are going to go ahead and begin the season with 2 Beatles themed episodes. It will be the 3rd episode earliest, but they are going to do a tribute episode to Monteith and kill off Finn.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2013/07/ryan-murphy-talks-cory-monteiths-death-how-glee-will-return-without-him.html

He also reveals the season premiere of Glee on FOX has been pushed back 1 week, and that production has been pushed back 2 weeks.
Flag
R.I.P. Cory
Flag
The worst thing is I just can't accept his death...I mean, for the first time in my life, I just can't accept the fact that someone is no longer with us anymore. I couldn't put my finger on what was making me feel this way and now I get it - every possible news and article dedicated to Cory or Lea & Cory...he looked so happy, so full of life, everything seemed fine....and just a week ago this person was still alive and now he no longer is. That is the scary reality of it and why I can't wrap my mind around it because that is how tragic this death is. Its one thing with actors and rock stars who battle their way through addiction and you can see how hard and difficult it is for them and at some point you just know the outcome...you kind of expect it. Like with Amy Winehouse...but here its all those news and articles where you see a clearly happy person with the love of his life, looking like everything is as normal. And then this news hits. "Cory Monteith was found dead"...too hard to process.

R.I.P Cory, I may not have known you personally but I feel it in my heart - you were a good man with a good soul. May your soul rest in piece.
More+
Flag
I feel sorry for lea they where meant to get married in two weeks and now she is planing a sad day for every on
Flag
I would very much like to see Glee not use Cory's death as an excuse to kill off Finn and have everyone burst into tears for half a damn season.

My suggestion: Over the summer, Finn decided he wanted to get a teaching degree, and he needed to distance himself from Lima. Puck knows a guy who knows a guy, Finn studies like a fiend, and barely squeaks into a university in California, which will put him in debt for years, but he'll be able to teach. He's too far away to visit every three weeks (like everyone else seems to), and at Christmas, the Hudson-Hummel crew goes to CA (meaning he's not in the holiday episode). We hear bits of news about him now and then: Finn's doing well, Finn met a girl, Finn got married, Finn graduated.

In doing this, the character endures in the show's history, rather than being used as a cheap plot device. That said, I simply can't imagine the writers doing it. I would love to be wrong about that.

Requiescat in pace, man.
Flag
Dislike everything about GLEE, but this is sad, sad news. Condolences to his family and all the GLEE fans out there.
Flag
you will never be forgotten :(
Flag
I'm not much of a Glee fan but R.I.P. I think it would be a good idea to write Finn out to honor Cory's memory. Just my opinion
Flag
Rest in Peace. My deepest condolences to the family and friends.
Flag
So so Sad....R.I.P
Flag
Even if Cory is dead and his character is not yet terminated, there could a chance we may have to hurry up look for a new actor, with the close resemblance to Cory, to play Finn Hudson immediately!
Flag
I seriously doubt they do that. Do you know the amount of outcry their would be if FOX replaced Monteith with another actor? Let's just say I wouldn't want to be the head with that idea. A tribute to him and killing off his character is a much better idea.
Flag
Killing off his character might be too precarious. We may have no choice but to hurry up look for the new actor to play Finn and that actor should have his birthdate displayed as either 1985 or 1986. Jetix, whatever you are saying, please do not resume more excuses at all!
Flag
I haven't used one excuse.
FACT #1- Filming on season 5 hasn't begun yet.

FACT #2- Monteith's character didn't appear in the last few episodes of season 4.

FACT #3- Monteith was in a relationship with Lea Michele.

FACT #4- No scripts will have been finalized since filming has not yet begun.

FACT #5- Monteith has a history of drug problems.

Any smart director would look at these facts. Since no reason was given for Finn not having appeared in the last few episodes of last season, then they could easily make it where Finn got involved in using drugs to keep him awake and study too much. Puck or Bert Hummer could show up with the news as the Glee club is celebrating, and since everyone, except Rachel, is there, deliver the news. It would be the perfect opportunity for Glee to help explain the dangers of drugs while paying tribute to Monteith's best songs and memories. It would also make it where the fans wouldn't cryout about their favorite character being replaced by a no name that they will never consider to be as good.

I also would have to question whether Lea would want to have her character start dating someone who is Finn that isn't Monteith. She's a professional, but many times most of them don't want to have their boyfriend/ girlfriend portrayed by another actor/ actress. Instead most of the actors/ actresses say bring in a new character as the love life and kill off the old one.

There's no excuses here. In fact the only excuses I've read are coming from you. I have merely provided a possible storyline that could easily be used to explain why Finn has disappeared. Do I think Glee comes on and reads these items? No. However they have smart directors, producers, and script writers that will certainly be looking at these facts for themselves. They'll do what they think is best, and I honestly think that it will involve them killing off Finn and turning it into a Monteith tribute.
More +
Flag
I don't know, but the fans may not agree with you about having this emergency incident becoming "Finn-ished!" yet. Finn mentioned "Future Wife" in "Feud" episode when he got into a physical violent fight with Brody. Killing of Finn automatically is too extremely precarious, Jetix!
Flag
So, so sad...I enjoy Glee because it's a show that just makes me feel happy. At the moment, I can't imagine watching it ever again without feeling terribly sad, especially any scene involving Finn.

RIP Cory Monteith...
Flag
What really breaks my heart is that he wasn't the kind of star who would have been paparazzied being totally high and making a fool of himself, like so many others do. He was silent, worked his job until braverly asking for help, and then he was just gone.
I keep on getting this feeling of loneliness coming from this tragedy. It breaks my heart.
RIP Cory Monteith.
Flag
What a tragedy....i am still sad about it!!! Wish all the best to his family. To Lea Michelee, poor thing....and all the other Gleeks....!! So sad...:(:(
Flag
I didn't like Finn in Glee but this are sad news
Flag
Terrible news. I'm deeply shocked and saddened to hear it.
Flag
What a tragedy. He died too young and with too much potential. I feel so sorry for Lea.
Flag
I can not get over this. Such a beautiful soul. Sad, sad news. :'(
Flag
This feels so unreal. It cant be real! I keep feeling like this is just some internet thing thats totally false and next season Finn will be there in college tryign to be a teacher and Cory will be maried to Lea...

But i know that none of that will happen. Its weird. Im rewatching Glee and when Finn comes onto the scene I feel like im watching a ghost...But at the same time its like hes not really dead. I feel like at any moment it will sinc in and ill just have a total break down or go into shock or something like that.
Flag
RIP Cory Monteith. It's so sad to hear the news :|
Flag
I only watched season 1 of Glee, but this is tragic. RIP, Cory.
Flag
it's too sad and i dont like it how ppl are saying it was cuz of an overdose or sthg cuz that hasnt been revealed yet. plus, if it was, i think it's important to use it as a lesson but what is sadder is the fact that ppl will just focus on that instead of remembering how great an actor he was... (just my opinion really so dont judge me)
Flag
Just totally saddened and shocked by this news. Really just out of left field. Horrible, especially since I'm hearing him and Lea Michele were supposed to be wed in two weeks or so. Just horrible.

He will be missed.
Flag
Why is it always the good people like Cory but not Lindesy Lohan?
Flag
Now that's just stupid. What has she done to you to wish her dead?
Flag
It's beyond stupid, it's evil. This kind of attitude sickens me.
Flag
It's just a joke, calm down.
Flag
there is nothing funny in wishing people dead..
Flag
We can't perceive the tone in a written message. Anyway, be careful. Remember the Texas teen that was arrested after making a Facebook joke about a video game? We never know how people may react.
Flag
It's clearing the fact that both have or may have overdose in the past , But for some reason it seems the people with these problems and the ones loved most by the people have one bad turn and it's game over where the people aka Lindsey Lohan survives all hers and does little for anyone but be a spoiled brat
Flag
what hasn't she done?
Flag
I guess we should have expected as much, it was pretty well known he had a substance abuse problem as stated in this article, it got into him too young, you've seen it a thousand times in Hollywood. A little problem can get big fast when you add lots of money and lots of partying to the mix, a dangerous cocktail to someone that already had problems and one he most definitely frequented. It's a sad story but one we've read before, and most definitely will read again. Drugs are bad kids, just don't start, don't be stupid.
Flag
I keep wishing that this is some sort of hoax, I still can't believe it. It's heartbreaking. RIP Cory, you were taken far too young.
Flag
one of the sweetest finchel moments in recent memory was where finn told rachel he couldn;t name a star after her because there was already a star named rachel berry so he named it after himself so he;d always be watching over her. that may have been fake but now cory;s watching over lea and his family and friends. rest in peace cory, thirty one is way too young <3 <3 <3
Flag
When I woke up this morning to the breaking news emails I honestly thought I was just still too asleep to be reading it correctly. I'm just in shock. I know it's too early to really be thinking about it, but I can't help but wonder how they're going to handle this on the show and how it potentially affects the future of the show itself. My thoughts are with his family and friends.
Flag
There is just so much, so very much, too much going on right now, and when I found that out, I can't lie, it hit me harder than I ever could have imagined. Condolences to his loved ones.He seemed like a great guy and a great talent. So young. :(
Flag
I was often pleasantly surprised by his acting ability on glee. it was appropriate that they were having finn want to be an actor. it's really too bad that whatever was eating him up managed to do this to him. he's already missed.

I'm less pessimistic about the way glee would potentially handle this. some people here seem to think ryan murphy lacks a soul despite the fact that these same people might very well love his show.
Flag
31 is way too young to die, whether you like Glee or not, this is tragic.
My thoughts are with his family & loved ones, cast mates & fans.
R.I.P. Cory.
Flag
WTF ! =0
Flag
RIP :(

None one of you guys knows him, but today has also died Tonino Accolla, a famous italian dubber, he's been the voice of Eddie Murphy, Mickey Rourke, Billy Crystal and, most important, Homer Simpson :(
Flag
Wow, I can't believe I just read that headline. May he find peace beyond this life.
Flag
This is really depressing news :( :( It's going to be odd watching Glee without him
Flag
He was hardly in the latest season so I can picture glee without him, the odd thing will be knowing that he will never return...
Flag
But he was so ingrained in the story and the lives of the characters that it will be really strange to suddenly not see him there anymore.
Flag
I'm hoping this was an Eddie Guerrero situation, where he was clean at the time of death and years of drug abuse just made his heart give out. But since he just got out of rehab, I'm not optimistic.
Flag
I only remeber him from Kyle XY may he rest in peace
Flag
I read somewhere he was into drugs, if that's true what did u expect. I will never be sorry for addicts it was their choice in the first place to start using it so they need to deal with the consequences
Flag
I can't believe how many likes this shit has. So you think all addicts deserve to die, because it was "their choice" to have a disease? He still had people who care about him and are deeply hurt by this. Show some class. Asshole.
Flag
Dude, seriously. No words for you, just sickened.
Flag
How are there 52 likes on this? Have a little compassion, people. Drug addiction is a tragic, tragic thing and it affects good and bad people and it's not as cut and dry as you think. Cory was a good person and his untimely death is immeasurably sad. I want to remember Cory as he lived, not died.
Flag
whoa!! its a lot harder than u think, once you get addicted to drugs!! he was on rehab, so he was trying to get clean.lets try to avoid judgments!!!!
Flag
So apparently you think that every addict chooses to enter a downward spiral of intense hopelessness, depression, and drugs because it sounds like an incredibly awesome time?
Flag
spriggan, just a suggestion but how about you try not being a complete dick?
Flag
Even by troll standards, you're a pathetic individual for feeling the need to post something like this. I hope you are satisfied with all of the rage comments you were blatantly fishing for, and that others don't judge you as unjustly as you judge them.
Flag
Even if this guy is a troll, I can't believe 50+ other people actually feel that way. It's so sad, like in a pathetic way.
Flag
A lot of people who become drug addicts have some past/childhood trauma and/or an untreated mental illness. I'm not excusing drug abuse, but it's not always as simple as you make it sound.

Regardless of why he used drugs, if that was even the cause of death, a 31 year old has passed away and he leaves behind family and friends. That is always sad news.
Flag
DOWNVOTE.
Flag
You absolute hero
Flag
we was others?! I cant make sense of this sentence...
Flag
Think it's a typo of "he was with others"... it's an exceptionally bad typo... maybe the writer was upset?
Flag
What happened?!

He's too young to die just like that. This is so sad.
Flag
Holy crap! He was 31? seriously, he does not look 31...
For age comparison, Heath Ledger died at age 28.
Flag
you don't realize how old he was because he played a high school sophomore at like 28...
Flag
Am not a fan of Glee but wow 31years with so much to live for. How sad.
Flag
I found out the news when it broke last night and it... It doesn't seem real. I look at all the tweets and its not real.
Flag
My prayers go out to Cory's family, to his friends and to everyone who loved him.
Flag
I feel really, really sad about this. It just feels unbelievable, I don't know what to say.

And btw, Glee BETTER deal with this in a respectful way.
Flag
I wouldn't hold my breath. Ryan Murphy will find some way to turn this into a PSA.
Flag
someone else who knows someone they've never met better than anyone else.
Flag
Really heart breaking news. RIP Cory
Flag
I just woke up to this very sad, shocking news. I've watched every ep. of Glee but that's not important now. I know Cory was getting help so this timing is unexpected to hear. It looks like some form of addiction got to him and I just wish all his loved ones condolences and peace. He no doubt had his addiction(s) but I feel he was a pretty good guy and a rising star.
Flag
This is such incredibly sad news. And as someone who still watches this show, it infuriates me to think about how the producers will handle it, because they will almost certainly flub it up.
Flag
This is just beyond sad. I'm at a loss for words...
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members