A Glee Community
FOX (ended 2015)

Glee S05E05 "The End of Twerk"

This week in "Things Glee Willfully Misunderstands to Hilarious Effect," Mr. Schue threw a tantrum because Principal Sue decreed twerking to be inappropriate for the hallowed halls of McKinley, Unique was used as shorthand for an anti-bullying PSA and a transgender restroom story that never really got a satisfying conclusion (isolate your differences!), and in New York, Kurt ended up with a misspelled tattoo. GOOD. 

We can scratch the Miley Cyrus/Robin Thicke item off our Glee End-of-Days Wishlist, but with surprisingly less enthusiasm than when I first stuck it on there. "A" for effort though, and hey, we even got a Bette Midler shout-out, sort of. Yay. 

Schue's obsession with being edgier than the edgiest and most WTF named show choir, Throat Explosion, had him using Blaine's twerking video (WHY BLAINE?) to inspire the rest of the gang to shake their booties for art. Or something. I don't know. Does Glee even know? For a show that loves a good social justice party, Glee opted to completely avoid mentioning the racial issues surrounding twerking, and instead reduced the controversy to a Sue-hates-glee-club issue.

Sue hasn't been New Directions' big foe in quite a while, and as Glee knowingly heads off to that TV choir room in the sky, a deliberate attempt to return to the status quo seems to be a large part of this season's foundation. She was busy this week, between dashing Schue's awkwardly pedo-rific dreams of twerking teenagers and responding to Unique's bathroom bullying issues by bolting a port-a-potty to the choir room floor and probably violating like a bazillion health codes in the process. Despite my forever-rage regarding how the Becky's-got-a-gun storyline was ultimately handled, it is nice to have Sue back in all her egomaniacal glory. 

In New York, Rachel began Funny Girl rehearsals and showed up in a wig just to test her director and also something about reclaiming her inner rebellion, which is how the whole tattoo adventure got started, which is when I started foaming at the mouth because my calm-your-titties-it's-just-Glee circuits got overheated. No legit Hep-C-free tattoo shop is going to ink two drunk-on-limoncello teenagers. I've spent a lot of time in the tattoo chair and seen a few Kurts make hilariously questionable tattoo choices, but the drunk ones were invariably asked to leave. It's a thing. A shop that isn't gonna kill you should smell like a doctor's office, not a bar. That's my token tattoo rant. So... deep breaths! It's just Glee and Glee runs on stereotypes.

Not gonna lie, though, I LOLed at Kurt's grammar-fail. That entire storyline was pretty much Kurt in a nutshell. He took it rather well, and "It's Got Bette Midler" is kind of amazing and would have made an even MORE amazing tramp stamp. 

Rachel claimed to have chickened out of getting a tattoo, but she actually got Finn's name all small and tasteful and personal. I definitely teared up. 

"The End of Twerk" wasn't the greatest follow-up to last week's genuinely good "A Katy or a Gaga" but it certainly wasn't the worst thing Glee's ever done. I wouldn't even put it on the list. It was disappointingly ho-hum and disjointed, with little overlap between the Lima and the NYC stories, or even between the pile of Lima-centric stories. 

In the end, Schue gave Unique a key to the unisex faculty restroom, which may have spared her the bullying she was experiencing in both the guys and the gals' rooms, but seemed kind of odd and off and strangely indicative of the narrative issue plaguing "The End of Twerk": isolation. There was just a lot going on here, but none of it ever converged at a shared point or even alluded to being aware of the world outside of each character's micro-story, particularly when it came to Unique, who probably could've carried an episode on her own if Glee had bothered to take its time with her story. Exiling Unique to the faculty restroom—no matter how good the intentions were—seemed to reinforce the notion that Unique is too "unique" to mingle with the general population, that she's neither man nor woman, which certainly could be the case, but that's a decision for Unique to make, not the staff at McKinley.

Rachel and Kurt, struggling to reconnect to themselves in the wake of Finn's death, also could've used more screen time. The disruptive Lima/NY narrative split has been an issue since Rachel's class graduated and went their separate waysthough some episodes have handled it better than others. It's episodes like "The End of Twerk" that make me want to advocate for a one-or-the-other focus, though, even if it's just on an episode-by-episode basis. 

What did you think of this week's Glee?

MUSICAL NOTES

– Playlist shenanigans: Unique's "If I Was a Boy" was pretty. Marley's "Wrecking Ball" was boring. I never understand the point of doing a straight-up Glee-production of a song that's currently on the radio every ten minutes. At the very least, change up the arrangement a bit. Give me a reason to download it. Why would I want this lesser track if I already have the Miley original? /rant

I just realized that Ioan Gruffudd is playing Rachel's Funny Girl co-star. OMG. Love him. LOVE HIM. After Jack Dawson, my tweenage Titanic crush was totally Fifth Officer Lowe. 

– So I guess Ryder got over that catfishing thing? 

– Marley knows about Jake banging Breh. Joy. 

81 Comments
Comments (81)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I’m going to have to rewatch this episode.
Cuz an episode I expected to be weird and cracky as all get out.
Got shockingly deep in several instances, and I don’t know what to do with that.
Flag
Blurred Lines and twerking at a high school? No, just no. Wrong on so many levels. Sue was right to fire Mr. Shue. Sue was on point telling Mr. Shue what the song is about.

On the other land; LOVED Marley's Wrecking Ball and Unique's If I Were A Boy. Hope Marley and Jake NEVER get back together.

I liked the Rachel/Kurt story. I miss Finn too.

Where the heck did Joe and Sugar go?

Oh, and I miss Quinn and Brittany. And Santana (and her boo Demi Lovato).
Flag
...other HAND... lol
Flag
Oh rights, Joe and Sugar are still missing ahahah
Flag
Of course Ryder is Unique's friend and protector now. God in 5 episodes they just couldn't do a scene that explained how they resolved things? To me Unique was, is and probably alwasy will a monster and this show's attempt at making the audience feel sorry for her won't work on me. At least I liked how her storyline was handled, for once it felt realistic: this world is just not brave enough now and the cultural statements Glee loves won't change it.
Sorry about the rant, I hate the character.

So finally Marley can have Ryder now!

Tina was the weird character as always...

Don't care about Rachel and Kurt: I felt too disconnected to them, also Rachel's destined to win, so it's not really interesting to watch.
Flag
Did anyone else find themselves agreeing with Sue on the inappropriateness of Will singing "Blurred Lines" while his students twerked? While I can see both sides to the twerk debate in general, I really can't see how it wasn't inappropriate for a teacher to go down that path
Flag
Really liked this episode.
Likes Shuester singing again. It has been a while. Blurred Lines was pretty nice..
Loved the rebellion thing of Rachel en Kurt..Rachel looked awesome with her wig...Kurt and his tattoo...that was funny...Rachel having a beautifull small Finn tattoo...which was very sad....
Kurt Shirtless, he looked very nice!!!
I completely teared up in the toilet with Unique, when she started to sing If i am a boy...thas was really sad...
I liked the wrecking ball of Marley...it was nice to hear her solo again..has been a while...loved to see her more aggresive....felt really sad for her when Bree told her about her and Jake...that was not cool...cheating is never cool...!!
Flag
Glee writers do bad research. They skimmed the wikipedia article to find out twerking started in Atlanta, but failed to actually read the page or to read the obviously titled reference "Twerking: A Complete History" to find out the US origins are about a decade earlier in New Orleans.
Flag
1. Mr Schue doing blurred lines was awesome
2. Unique's storyline was boring and pointless... i wish they'd cut unique off of the show cuz its storylines are always the same plus, its rendition of if i were a boy was awful
3. Kurt's tattoo storyline was funny!
4. I also teared with the Finn tattoo
5. Forget Miley, Kitty is the queen of twerking!
Flag
"So I guess Ryder got over that catfishing thing?"

Finally someone else noticed! Hello! Its been like what 5 episodes already and still for reasons unknown Ryder is with Glee club and very happy about being there....WTF?!
Flag
God this is eating me. Ryder was also so emotionally connected to Unique's issue in this episode... just horrible
Flag
I think Marley's 'wrecking ball' version sounded like Miley...
Flag
Now that was a good episode! I think it's a return to classic Glee humour, storytelling and concept. I hope more episodes are like that!

The moment when Will made a Sue exit was a classic. It was that moment when all my hope in Glee was back.
Flag
"Why would I want this lesser track if I already have the Miley original? "

How can it be less than a Miley original? Take Miley out of any Miley track and it's already improved a gajillion percent.
Flag
haha i don't hate miley but ur comment make me LOL
Flag
I vote terrorist attack where Schue sacrifices himself to save the kids. Let's face it, it wouldn't even be that much of a stretch for Glee, story wise, and we'd finally be rid of the most annoying character of all.
Flag
Remember when Mr Schue didn't want them to do a Britney week because she was a bad influence? How things have changed. Now he gets creepier every week and the show is all over the place.

The positive out of this episode was Unique's singing. The actor is so talented and has been criminally underused since transferring to McKinley.
Flag
I agree that Alex Newell is a good singer, but does his acting really convince you?
Flag
Hmm, I was really only thinking about his singing. You're right, his acting isn't all that good.
Flag
Mr. Shue: "hey y'all, lets have 15, 16, 17" year olds skankz up the hallway while I dance around them singing 'blurred lines.'"

I feel like I would have chosen to write a paper on "The Positive and Negative Repercussions of Twerking" in university. It's actually a flipping frightening topic. [Personal rant to follow] I don't like it. Pretty much wish this was something my children will never be affected by. Please let this fad pass. I understand both sides of the twerking debate, but I honestly shudder to think of how impressionable young kids are to the actors and singers they watch and listen to. Let's leave twerking to the clubs and bedroom, people. "The end of twerk" really should have advocated the END of twerking. [end rant]

Jake you man-whore! Marley, you are awesome. I was really impressed by how strong her vocals were in "wrecking ball." I've come to accept her vocals as meek and light, but she really did give a good go of it in her performance. Not her fault that they decided to do really similar arrangement and visuals of the original, but I really thought the situation fit the subject matter of the song. I also find it kind of weird that there's this overlooked quality to every topic that Marley is involved in. How the show has handled pretty much every one of her storylines is pretty sad and unsatisfying.

- Kurt was typical Kurt. Loved it! It's got Bette Middler!
- Unique was great this episode. But I thought there could have been a bit more breathing space for this particular story, in the whole scheme of things. Regardless, it was so good to see how strong/solid her character became in the show.

I'm interested to see where the story goes from here. There have been so many hints of the funny show that was season 1. Hopefully "It's Get Better"

I'm going to have a slice of Oreo Blizzard Cake now. Bye.

More+
Flag
You are correct about tats and booze...most tattoo artists I know will refuse service to VIPs (that's Visibly Intoxicated Patrons, folks) for two reasons: impaired judgment and thinner blood.
Flag
Lame, lame, and just lame!

The episode should have been titled "The End of Glee".
Flag
A lot less McKinley and waaay more New York, please and thank you. Also NY with ALL the NY characters, we haven't seen much from Santana and Dani's relationship since it started, and it will be great to see some development in that department before Demi's run on the show ends. Santana and Dani were pretty much background characters on last weeks episode.
Flag
Have we started using the word "Dantana" yet? I want an excuse to post pictures of Robert Urich circa 1978.
Flag
I did keep wanting just a quick update phone call to Santana (at the very least) for her to give Shue the best way to avoid the 'twerk' thing. Um, I learned it when I was eight (I am much much older than that now) and my sister, who because she ain't here, is thirty, I used to make her do this dance in the backyard when she was four. Now, I grew up outside Boston and taking ballet and tap classes. My point is, this is kind of an old repurposed dance that has always struck me as move to do when you are exhausted from actually dancing. Anyway, that is my twerk rant. Blaine's was the only one that made sense to me (basically because I tend to feel silly when Pussycat Dolls come on my IPod when I am doing laundry because I can't stop myself from dancing...and I am at a laundromat).

I must say, I was watching the Marley song and thinking...I wish I cared more about any of these people.
Flag
Tina laughing and taking a shot of Blaine to be caught in the act with her iPhone! Marley and Jake wanted revenge on Bree. Will wants Sue expelled from the principal's office.

Brittany, Sugar, Joe and Emma need to appear both in this upcoming nationals episode and in this upcoming McKinley High School graduation episode. Actress Heather Morris needs to find a babysitter in a meantime. Quinn needs to appear in this McKinley High School graduation episode. Brittany, Tina, Sugar, Artie, Blaine and Sam are all going to be in the picture wearing caps and gowns and holding degrees. After this upcoming McKinley High School graduation episode, Brittany, Quinn and Sugar characters are officially axed. Joe will join and catch up with Marley, Kitty, Unique, Jake and Ryder in the remaining glee club as a bridge for the rest of this season.

Marley looked really hot in this episode, but is Marley 16 years old?

At the end of this season, Marley, Kitty, Unique, Jake, Ryder and Joe will graduate from McKinley High School, Both Emma and Will will transfer to Washington DC. Finally, Sue and Principal Figgins are going to get transferred to another school, IMO.
More+
Flag
but is Marley 16 years old?

The actress playing her is in her mid-20s.
Flag
Actress Melissa Benoist, who plays Marley Rose, is around her 20's in real life. But the Marley character is 16 years old.
Flag
Mr. Shue promoting and encouraging twerking while singing Blurred Lines was just too unbelievable to me, even for Glee standards. I understand that Will is suppose to promote the arts, but going to the school board to support twerking? Ridiculous. There are other art forms that needs more attention that doesn't stir up controversy.

Initially, I didn't like the fact that Kurt was getting a tattoo. I honestly believed that super neat and clean Kurt should not get a tattoo because of his porcelain skin. But the plot was actually well done. They should have more Rachel/Kurt story lines.
Flag
PedoWill is back. Last week was already cringe worthy but the whole twerking/blurred lines thing made it worse. So creepy, it's disgusting.
Flag
And re-doing the "Wrecking ball" video wasn't interesting at all. It just felt empty. (And I enjoyed Kurt being shirtless, more of that, Glee, please!)
Flag
Weird ep. Sue was completely right, but Will's tantrum was fun.

Who cares about everything else, though. Even the NYC story was meh. However, Rachel's tattoo was touching.
Flag
When Will started singing blurred lines I screamed in horror and lunged in panic to pause my computer. Then I skipped it. Judging by the comments, I made the right decision.
Flag
Better version of the song: Robin Thicke f. Jimmy Fallon & the Roots.
Flag
I may be wrong and completely off base, but I think that Schue's "creepiness" is going to turn out to be a failed effort on his part to replace Finn; basically, it's going to turn out that he feels guilty for how he treated Finn and now that he's dead he's trying to "be" Finn for the Glee Club, but is failing miserably.
Flag
I LOVE LOVE LOVEEEE this episode!!!It was the 'old' Glee something I've been missing since 2seasons...and i absolutely ADORED Wills "Sue Tantrum"that was just EPIC and i think they should make him do that more often.Thumps up Ryan and gang u guys did a good job!!
Flag
Ouch. Fast forwarded though much. Didn't
Ike the songs, storyline and Rachel has way too much attitude for someone just starting out in show business. Most of these people I loved and lusted after are now annoying
Flag
What the ? Glee is just off to the extremes of creepiness, disgusting. I'm so freakin done with the show. It so freak sucks. I fast forward so much anyway. But, this was beyond watchable. N-O MORE.
Flag
I haven't been watching this season but I had to check this out. OH MY GOD SCHUE! No twerking isn't an awful thing (generally) but it is completely inappropriate to encourage all your students to grind around you and twerk while you sing a song about date rape. I was completely in Sues corner.
Flag
it's about time Matt get's to sing and dance
he should have way more!

Flag
I'm not quite entirely sure what happened, other than Will was just really creepy. I know Sue is normally malicious for its own sake, but I agreed with her completely on the subject of twerking. Although Will's tantrum was kinda cool.
Flag
Overall I liked the NY storyline a lot better than the McKinley one. Will is creeping me out a lot this season, like A LOT :/ Didn't really like too many of the songs this week too. I have been noticing quite a few character inconsistency's throughout the start of this season, is it just me or has anyone else noticed it? I apologize for this little comment being a bit choppy I am writing this at 2:44 am haha Anyway I guess we will see what happens next week!
Flag
This was truly terrible, and I'm glad I'm not the only one that think Will is creepy..
Flag
Unique's rendition of If I Were A Boy could not save this episode. The Glee's Blurred Lines just made me cringe.
Flag
Oh, and I'm not sure why they're going out of their way to make Will Schuester so creepy and inappropriate, but I *did* enjoy his Sue Sylvester tantrum. It was a little too short though.
Flag
Okay, so I guess they resolved the Ryder/Unique tension off screen between seasons? Because not only is Ryder still in glee club, but he was ready to throw down in Unique's defense.
Flag
I hate Unique so much!!!!! Until they resolve the catfish thing - I know they won't - I will never wish for her a happy ending :(
Flag
I am so annoyed with glee for sweeping that under the ground...it could have gone somewhere interesting but just like with becky and the school shooting, they sweep it under the rug and forget about it. Anyway my favorite part of the episode though was when becky out of nowhere called will a bitch and then later joined his tantrum
Flag
Right? At the very least, it could've helped flesh out Ryder's character and show him grow as a person.

Becky's reaction confused me at first, but I guess she's used to joining in on the Sue tantrums, so she just went with it?
Flag
Oh glee, writing storyline's with a lot of shock and/or drama just to get rid of them and to attempt to sweep them under the rug without anyone noticing.
Flag
I am NOT a fan of twerking but this episode was really good. I enjoyed all the songs (even creepy Shue in Blurred Lines and Wrecking Ball, which I usually dislike!) I had to go and see who sang the last song originally as it was really good.
Unique's story and song were both great and Rachel's tattoo was lovely. Mine has a similar meaning but I didn't want a name so got things that meant something to my husband and myself.
I was really concerned that I would hate this season without Finn/Cory but so far they are doing ok and I'm still enjoying watching it. I might even miss it when its gone...
Flag
Havent finished the episode yet but lol at Mr Schue staring at Kittys ass at the beginning. He is getting creepier and creepier as the show goes on.
Flag
Good episode. Highlights for me were Rachels number and the group number at the end. Never been a fan of Unique but her/his story was ok. There were some really funny moments as well, go Becky!
No Santana though which was disappointing.
But overall I think the show will be fine without Finn.
Flag
Once again NY outshines McK and it was rather subdued. Just a sweet story for both Rchel and Kurt. Unique's storyline was pretty good but still buulying at Mck but the issue of the restroom was new. Jarley do not care and was embrassed by wreaking ball.
Flag
At the beginning I thought, wow I am going to hate this episode. Then they did Blurred Lines and I was like, yep this is getting way worse. But then Sue called out Blurred Lines for being about Date Rape, then Unique sang If I Were A Boy, a song I don't care for, but somehow she made it really moving, then the tattoo guy existed, and I was like, maybe this isn't so bad, then Marley found out that Jake cheated, and Bree continued to be the worst person ever. Then Wrecking Ball happened, and it regressed again...but then Rachel showed her Finn tattoo and Will stood up for Unique and it ended up alright. I didn't like any of the songs they used, but I never do, so I wasn't surprised.
Flag
Well the beginning of this episode was embarrassing to watch. It got off to such an uncomfortable start. Mr. Shue just keeps getting creepier and I think he hit an all time low in this episode. When he started singing blurred lines I cringed. And the whole thing about not only allowing but encouraging his students to twerk with him, just sooo creepy.
However, I think the episode got better as the episode continued. I don't know why I continued to watch after the first 15 minutes but I'm glad I did. Unique's story was actually done pretty well and her singing if I were a boy song was really great. I thought Marley's wrecking ball song was good as well.
Rachel's tattoo was such a great moment and I like that she kept it to herself instead of showing Kurt.
Flag
Remember early in the first season when the glee club got in trouble for dancing too sexually during an assembly? Well, apparently that sort of thing is okay now. Maybe I am old but a bunch of minors twerking in high school is kind of disturbing to me. To me it will always be a trashy stripper move. I much preferred the Kurt and Rachel story this week than what was going on at Mckinley.
Flag
I wrote my first comment while I was still watching the episode but the second half was way better than the first half. Unique's performance of "If I Was A Girl" was one of the highlights of the episode and I also enjoyed Marley's performance of "Wrecking Ball" and thought it was better than Miley's actual video because it wasn't overshadowed with all the sexuality and nudity.
Flag
This was actually a very good episode; I enjoyed it a lot.
The opening scene with Blaine was LOL squared; very funny.
Yes, there were some cringe worthy moments, but I think that was good also.
The story line with Unique and his/her identity was realistic, but it did not go as far as how bad it does get in real life.
Kurt and Rachel's "rebellion" was kind of meh, but the reveal of Rachel's "Finn" tattoo was a very touching moment.
Marley finds out (from Bree, obviously) that Jake cheated on her, but we knew this was coming; so now the question is, will she go back to Ryder?
Sue was really back to form, but now she's getting a dose of her own medicine, although Will's storm out was not as epic as hers were.
The port-a-potty bolted down to the floor of the choir room and Tina using it: ROFL.
And people, the episode was not about twerking (which, admit it, it's funny to watch), that was just the excuse to talk about the other stuff.
Flag
This was the worst Glee I've ever seen. Twerking is stupid. It's not important to a generation. And I could not care less about Unique; she's awful.
Flag
I HATE TWERKING. I don't even want to watch this episode.
Flag
I cringed, CRINGED, when Will started singing Blurred Lines. WT holy F was THAT?! And sorry, is "no twerking at school" REALLY such an horrible rule AND worthy of vandalism?! GET IT TOGETHER, SHUE!!

now the Unique storyline, I really liked. definitely a highlight for me.
Flag
Cringe worthy is indeed a great way to describe that whole thing.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members